The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

phungi

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by phungi »

one belt loop wrote:

edit: You may also enjoy their song (which follows this one), "Somebody Roll the Weed (I Wanna Get Higher Than a Motherfucker)"
I hope these guys are on the short-list for opening bands at Homecoming!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I have three daughters. If Trump had looked at one my ten year old daughters and said in effect, "I'll be fucking her in 10 years" I might still be in jail. What kind of monster looks at a 10 year old girl and immediately thinks of "dating" her?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Markalanbishop wrote:I have three daughters. If Trump had looked at one my ten year old daughters and said in effect, "I'll be fucking her in 10 years" I might still be in jail. What kind of monster looks at a 10 year old girl and immediately thinks of "dating" her?
this kind?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:I have three daughters. If Trump had looked at one my ten year old daughters and said in effect, "I'll be fucking her in 10 years" I might still be in jail. What kind of monster looks at a 10 year old girl and immediately thinks of "dating" her?
You'd be in your rights IMHO. This has gotten so past absurd. Now we have math showing that he'd win big if only men voted and there are people discussing repealing the 19th Amendment? IN MOTHERFUCKING 2016????!!!! This was actually discussed here in Mississippi at a Heritage Foundation event at the Governors mansion Tuesday night.

"The conservative Heritage Foundation came to Jackson last night for a shindig at Phil Bryant's governor mansion. Apparently, at least one conversation happened there between a Crystal Springs, Miss., man and the former U.S. senator from South Carolina who now heads Heritage, which plays footsy with Donald Trump.
Afterward, Ford Crews, who lists himself on his Facebook page as a web developer, posted public comments about what he told DeMint at the mansion under a public post by Charles C. Johnson, a conservative and sometimes controversial journalist and pundit. Johnson had posted a FiveThirtyEight graphic showing that the vast majority of the country would go for Trump if women didn't vote, following a national trend on Twitter today to #repealthe19th (giving women the right to vote). "This would be a better world," Johnson wrote at the top.
Crews agreed, writing below: "I was at a The Heritage Foundation event at the Mississippi governors mansion, and one of the things I talked about with Jim DeMint was how we need to work to get more men out to vote, and encourage women to stay home, because of how overwhelmingly one sided women's support of regressive ideas is. Sadly when women stay home, conservatives win, when they get pissed off and go vote, they not only vote for democrats, they take their sons, daughters, mothers, fathers and try to push them to vote for democrats. This whole Trump tape dump was nothing more that a way to piss women of so they go vote against Trump."

I'm sure this year will get crazier I'm just not sure how.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
You'd be in your rights IMHO. This has gotten so past absurd. Now we have math showing that he'd win big if only men voted and there are people discussing repealing the 19th Amendment? IN MOTHERFUCKING 2016????!!!! This was actually discussed here in Mississippi at a Heritage Foundation event at the Governors mansion Tuesday night.

"The conservative Heritage Foundation came to Jackson last night for a shindig at Phil Bryant's governor mansion. Apparently, at least one conversation happened there between a Crystal Springs, Miss., man and the former U.S. senator from South Carolina who now heads Heritage, which plays footsy with Donald Trump.
Afterward, Ford Crews, who lists himself on his Facebook page as a web developer, posted public comments about what he told DeMint at the mansion under a public post by Charles C. Johnson, a conservative and sometimes controversial journalist and pundit. Johnson had posted a FiveThirtyEight graphic showing that the vast majority of the country would go for Trump if women didn't vote, following a national trend on Twitter today to #repealthe19th (giving women the right to vote). "This would be a better world," Johnson wrote at the top.
Crews agreed, writing below: "I was at a The Heritage Foundation event at the Mississippi governors mansion, and one of the things I talked about with Jim DeMint was how we need to work to get more men out to vote, and encourage women to stay home, because of how overwhelmingly one sided women's support of regressive ideas is. Sadly when women stay home, conservatives win, when they get pissed off and go vote, they not only vote for democrats, they take their sons, daughters, mothers, fathers and try to push them to vote for democrats. This whole Trump tape dump was nothing more that a way to piss women of so they go vote against Trump."

I'm sure this year will get crazier I'm just not sure how.
I have typed out several responses but keep deleting them.

It's for the best

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yeah, I got ya. I'm having a difficult time processing.

Oh and this doctor is dead wrong. Bring on the herb

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

i so fucking wish I hadn't watched that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:i so fucking wish I hadn't watched that.
He is an totally loathsome individual. I hope someday Rhode Island gets some payback for 38 Studios

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:i so fucking wish I hadn't watched that.
I know, he's got blood coming out of his.....wherever ;)

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

If I'm going to live through this election, I need weed. Lots & lots of weed.

whatwouldcooleydo?

alquina wrote:If I'm going to live through this election, I need weed. Lots & lots of weed.
so, are you from Connersville?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why talk about facts when we live in an alternative, fact free universe? I have no idea, it's just a fetish of mine i guess.

The British pound is now down to $1.23 against the dollar. Besides making the DBT UK tour look more attractive every day (see my post in the DBT forum), this is actual real world evidence of just how stupid abrogating trade agreements is. But of course actual real world experience and evidence counts for nothing. Just like when Greece was melting down and Congress was still yelling about the need for fiscal discipline and tight money despite the fact that the US economy was doing measurably better than any economy that was then following the austerity model.

Made it through the first 30 seconds of Schilling. My sense of foreboding was so great I couldn't even get to any substantive comment and turned it off after the initial pleasantries.

So now 538 has gone off the rails, too. What's next? Baseball Prospectus declaring RBIs to be baseball's most useful statistic?

For a while I was counting down the days to the election (26, btw) but now I fear whatever will follow the election as much or more than i fear the election itself. I see no easy path by which the country can repair itself no matter who wins the presidency and no matter what combination of Dems and Reps control the 2 houses of congress. I would say that I see no path at all, except I just don't want to say that. Pass that spliff, will ya?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Why talk about facts when we live in an alternative, fact free universe? I have no idea, it's just a fetish of mine i guess.

The British pound is now down to $1.23 against the dollar. Besides making the DBT UK tour look more attractive every day (see my post in the DBT forum), this is actual real world evidence of just how stupid abrogating trade agreements is. But of course actual real world experience and evidence counts for nothing. Just like when Greece was melting down and Congress was still yelling about the need for fiscal discipline and tight money despite the fact that the US economy was doing measurably better than any economy that was then following the austerity model.

Made it through the first 30 seconds of Schilling. My sense of foreboding was so great I couldn't even get to any substantive comment and turned it off after the initial pleasantries.

So now 538 has gone off the rails, too. What's next? Baseball Prospectus declaring RBIs to be baseball's most useful statistic?

For a while I was counting down the days to the election (26, btw) but now I fear whatever will follow the election as much or more than i fear the election itself. I see no easy path by which the country can repair itself no matter who wins the presidency and no matter what combination of Dems and Reps control the 2 houses of congress. I would say that I see no path at all, except I just don't want to say that. Pass that spliff, will ya?
I certainly don't blame FiveThirtyEight. I love me some Nate Silver. I saw the graphic before these jamokes but never in my wildest nightmares did I think serious people would discuss repealing the 19th.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote: What's next? Baseball Prospectus declaring RBIs to be baseball's most useful statistic?
nah, the most useful statistic remains the same

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I certainly don't blame FiveThirtyEight. I love me some Nate Silver. I saw the graphic before these jamokes but never in my wildest nightmares did I think serious people would discuss repealing the 19th.
I don't blame 538 for the response to their work. I blame them for their work. What kind of moronic polling or statistical analysis is "what would a men only election look like?" Would they do the same for white only? Women only? What's the point of it? What's the intellectual legitimacy of it? It's just joining and contributing to the hysteria for no purpose.

As for repealing the 19th amendment, not only is it a non-starter, it's actually pretty funny. I'd bet any amount you'd care to wager that well over half the people throwing around the hashtag hadn't even heard of the 19th amendment 48 hours ago and more than 3/4 couldn't have told you what it said. The preposterousness of the suggestion is simply evidence of how far into the alternative irrational universe we've traveled; it's not real. Remember rational numbers and irrational numbers and how you (or at least I) didn't understand them? This whole male only voting/19th amendment tempest in a teapot is just one big irrational number. It exists only in the minds of a few talk show hosts and political commentators.

whatwouldcooleydo?

If they repeal the 21st Amendment, we riot!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I certainly don't blame FiveThirtyEight. I love me some Nate Silver. I saw the graphic before these jamokes but never in my wildest nightmares did I think serious people would discuss repealing the 19th.
I don't blame 538 for the response to their work. I blame them for their work. What kind of moronic polling or statistical analysis is "what would a men only election look like?" Would they do the same for white only? Women only? What's the point of it? What's the intellectual legitimacy of it? It's just joining and contributing to the hysteria for no purpose.

As for repealing the 19th amendment, not only is it a non-starter, it's actually pretty funny. I'd bet any amount you'd care to wager that well over half the people throwing around the hashtag hadn't even heard of the 19th amendment 48 hours ago and more than 3/4 couldn't have told you what it said. The preposterousness of the suggestion is simply evidence of how far into the alternative irrational universe we've traveled; it's not real. Remember rational numbers and irrational numbers and how you (or at least I) didn't understand them? This whole male only voting/19th amendment tempest in a teapot is just one big irrational number. It exists only in the minds of a few talk show hosts and political commentators.
Don't forget political events at the Governors mansion. I could live with idiots on the internet, politicians down the street concern me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Don't forget political events at the Governors mansion. I could live with idiots on the internet, politicians down the street concern me.
Yeah, but they're Mississippi politicians which puts them into a whole 'nother category. I would say that they're like pi, but they're not special just absurdly different and hard to classify using traditional categories.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

beantownbubba wrote:
I don't blame 538 for the response to their work. I blame them for their work. What kind of moronic polling or statistical analysis is "what would a men only election look like?" Would they do the same for white only? Women only? What's the point of it? What's the intellectual legitimacy of it? It's just joining and contributing to the hysteria for no purpose..
Did you read the original 538 article? It was titled "Women are defeating Trump" and was about the danger to Trump of alienating women (even further, if such a thing is possible). Given that that's the current top line story of the election cycle, it seems like fair game to me. The chart about men only voting was provided as a counterpoint, and showed that women are the stronger force in this election cycle ( women only, Clinton wins 458-80, men only, Trump wins but only 350-188 - which is not a diversion from but an expansion of previous cycles). Given the gender gap, Clinton and surrogates are playing strong to women about the offensiveness of Trump's comments, and the converse is and probably has been fueling Trump's rise since the beginning (meaning he has been playing directly to white, straight, working class men and the views/biases/prejudices held in general by them).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I don't blame 538 for the response to their work. I blame them for their work. What kind of moronic polling or statistical analysis is "what would a men only election look like?" Would they do the same for white only? Women only? What's the point of it? What's the intellectual legitimacy of it? It's just joining and contributing to the hysteria for no purpose..
Did you read the original 538 article? It was titled "Women are defeating Trump" and was about the danger to Trump of alienating women (even further, if such a thing is possible). Given that that's the current top line story of the election cycle, it seems like fair game to me. The chart about men only voting was provided as a counterpoint, and showed that women are the stronger force in this election cycle ( women only, Clinton wins 458-80, men only, Trump wins but only 350-188 - which is not a diversion from but an expansion of previous cycles). Given the gender gap, Clinton and surrogates are playing strong to women about the offensiveness of Trump's comments, and the converse is and probably has been fueling Trump's rise since the beginning (meaning he has been playing directly to white, straight, working class men and the views/biases/prejudices held in general by them).
No I didn't read the original article, which is always a mistake and one which i readily admit. Perhaps more importantly my wife agrees w/ you and TC which is generally a strong sign that I'm on the wrong side. Acknowledging that, it's probably not worth the effort to make myself look worse, so I'll just say I'm not ready to concede even though there are 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, nobody's on base, Dennis Eckersley in his prime is on the mound and Mario Mendoza (who had no prime) is at the plate.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Can I just add that I don't take much of what any top tier politicians say very seriously. This is generally a highly orchestrated, focus grouped and polled competition. They say what their handlers have determined will pull the most votes based on loosely defined coalitions that they are seeking to gain the support of.

I don't believe Hillary when she declares opposition to TPP, or support for tuition-free or debt-free college as neither is consistent with her record or previous stances.

I don't believe Trump believes many of the things he says either to tell the truth. While he is running a rogue campaign that is ugly to its core and so he is relying less on focus group and polling info, Ailes and Bannon are there steadfastly advising Trump down the path he is on, happy to fight the Republican establishment and I think it's largely intentional, even to the point of everyone believing Trump is simply off the rails, which adds to his credence among his supporters in a cowboy kind of way.

It's a Hail Mary strategy at this point in terms of the election that they know they have almost certainly lost, but they seem committed to the far right domination of the Republicans and much of what is happening now, I think, is a part of that plan, or gets pulled into becoming part the plan even when unintended, like the audio leak.

Trump won't win the election, barring some completely unforeseen Wikileaks or similar true bombshell (not the drib drab stuff coming out now, but if there is something truly shocking to the core), but that doesn't mean they have lost the battle that is important to them, which is disrupting the core of America's current governmental system. The primary strategy is a give-no-ground, take-no-prisoners approach as we've seen from the now almost quaint-seeming tea party members for the past few years.

As they lose the election, their diehards are becoming ever more diehard, and even with setbacks at the lower levels, they are still largely on track in terms of running the country. Dems get the presidency and if exceedingly lucky the senate, but I think that's likely out of range. The SC tips a little perhaps, but the Rs still have the house which controls the budget, the vast majority of governorships and state legislatures, and increasingly the control of federal courts below the SC, which not only limit which cases ever get to the SC, but more importantly have become an effective check on Presidential power as they null and void executive actions as overreach.

Trump will have the chance to play a significant role in the further shaping of this movement, and together Trump, Ailes and Bannon seem likely to have a goal of consolidating the alt-right media power into a force to rival Fox, only much further to the right, and importantly away from even a modicum of factual reporting, and highly influential with a highly charged segment of the population that can still shape the republican primaries and prevent much government action on things like energy, voting rights, etc , regardless of who hold the presidency.

Most of us will turn to other things after the election. They will work to delegitimize it among their supporters, and simply continue their work at another level. A loss is still a loss, but it is not the end by any means.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:Most of us will turn to other things after the election. They will work to delegitimize it among their supporters, and simply continue their work at another level. A loss is still a loss, but it is not the end by any means.
Agreed:
beantownbubba wrote:For a while I was counting down the days to the election (26, btw) but now I fear whatever will follow the election as much or more than i fear the election itself. I see no easy path by which the country can repair itself no matter who wins the presidency and no matter what combination of Dems and Reps control the 2 houses of congress. I would say that I see no path at all, except I just don't want to say that. Pass that spliff, will ya?

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Pass that spliff, will ya?

Exhibit A

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just in case you're not scared enough yet, here's the NYT quoting Trump at a rally yesterday:

“The establishment and their media neighbors wield control over this nation through means that are very well known — anyone who challenges their control is deemed a sexist, a racist, a xenophobe and morally deformed,” Mr. Trump said. “They will seek to destroy everything about you, including your reputation. They will lie, lie, lie, and then again, they will do worse than that. They will do whatever’s necessary.”

And he spoke about how Mrs. Clinton had met “in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special-interest friends and her donors,”

The echoes of demagogues and dictators past in these words literally gave me chills this morning. And if you don't hear the anti-semitism lurking just beneath the surface of these twisted remarks I guess it means that you ain't Jewish*. For real. This is evil shit. He is determined to drag society down with him.

*That is by no means the main thing wrong w/ Trump's comments; it's an additional level of disgusting on top of some self-evidently absurd and disgusting stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:Most of us will turn to other things after the election. They will work to delegitimize it among their supporters, and simply continue their work at another level. A loss is still a loss, but it is not the end by any means.
Agreed:
beantownbubba wrote:For a while I was counting down the days to the election (26, btw) but now I fear whatever will follow the election as much or more than i fear the election itself. I see no easy path by which the country can repair itself no matter who wins the presidency and no matter what combination of Dems and Reps control the 2 houses of congress. I would say that I see no path at all, except I just don't want to say that. Pass that spliff, will ya?
We are echoing what seems to have become a part of the national conversation. See, e.g., Timothy Egan's column in the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/opini ... pe=article

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I was very worried that Trump would get actual state power in this election. Now I think he's not going to win, probably, so I'm a lot less scared. (The idea of him appointing an Attorney General is genuinely frightening. Scarier than a Supreme, if you ask me. The Supreme Court can tell the police not to break down your door; the Attorney General can send someone to do it anyway.) It's four years of breathing room. I'm not grateful, exactly, but it could have been worse.

Could still be, of course, but it isn't yet. This is old wounds never drained that had been waiting for someone to poke them with a stick. If you look it it, it's almost all old, old bile. There is nothing new in it. That's both pukeworthy and reassuring.

I'm unsurprised it's happening at a time when there's also radical egalitarianism in the minds of the young.
That's a winning attitude they've got. It worked before, it can work again. One of my favorite bands just released a song about it. I myself have been losing for decades. It's a good life if you don't weaken. Which I suppose we all do, someday.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

More lotus.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So in this strange political year I guess you never say never. President McMullin?

How Evan McMullin Could Win Utah And The Presidency

If this were to go down like this, and I think it's a lot less possible than the author does, you'd have a President who was only on the ballot in one state completely beholden to a House of Representatives that put him in office with a tiny fraction of the vote, and we think Trump would be an extinction level event?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

lotusamerica wrote:A loss is still a loss, but it is not the end by any means.
Not for nothing is this called the neverending thread for political shit. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.