The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Phil Robertson Delivers Speech About Family Of Atheists Getting Raped And Killed

It's probably not fair to put this in the political thread and for that I'm sorry. I just didn't think WTF was right the place either although clearly this is that. If this is how Christians think they have clearly lost their way.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Phil Robertson Delivers Speech About Family Of Atheists Getting Raped And Killed

It's probably not fair to put this in the political thread and for that I'm sorry. I just didn't think WTF was right the place either although clearly this is that. If this is how Christians think they have clearly lost their way.
Why do you hate Jesus?
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Phil Robertson Delivers Speech About Family Of Atheists Getting Raped And Killed

Why do you hate Jesus?
I'm with Ghandi
Ghandi wrote:I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Not all of them of course.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

UK election campaign officially starts next Monday. Oh joy.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So tomorrow evening I'm leading an introductory session for a class on this fine gentleman's work, which I've been following for years. For those of you who have a little under an hour and are curious who speaks for me, or who would like some insight into my religious beliefs, or who are simply interested in the history and ideas of the civil rights movement, this will repay your time and attention well. It was one of the keynote addresses at the fiftieth anniversary commemoration of the Selma march and the murders of Jimmy Lee Jackson, Rev. James Reeb, and my hero Viola Liuzzo.

P.S. He's so right about getting wounded if you do this work, and he's even righter that it's worth it. I only wish I were stronger and able to take on more of the work and that I were better, or at least more persistent, at it.

P.P.S. For some time now, I've had a riff on something he says in here, and I think this has prompted it to pop out of me soon.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Won't somebody please think about the goatfuckers?

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Won't somebody please think about the goatfuckers?

Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Heh, heh. Not my kind of girl, but absolutely my kind of girl. #teampurplevest As much as I despise and avoid twitter and social media, I can't deny it's power/existence. Change the fuckin' world. If you can't get behind this, you are not wrong, you're just on the wrong message board.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:

Heh, heh. Not my kind of girl, but absolutely my kind of girl. #teampurplevest As much as I despise and avoid twitter and social media, I can't deny it's power/existence. Change the fuckin' world. If you can't get behind this, you are not wrong, you're just on the wrong message board.
Actually I'm thinking it may be time to stop the assholes from propagating.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

That's exactly what Hitler said, but it was in German.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
That's exactly what Hitler said, but it was in German.
So Jews, gypsies, gays, communists, artists, non-whites and the mentally and physically disabled were the assholes in Nazi Germany?

Edited once 'cause I forgot the gypsies. They were not known as the Roma at the time.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I propose a moratorium on Hitler references. No good can ever come of it. Not sure how he became the go to in political debates.

I will, however, admit to liking the Hitler-communist-Muslim-Kenyan comments about the President though. They're an irony goldmine.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I propose a moratorium on Hitler references.
You know who else liked to propose moratoriums, TC?

Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Won't someone please think of the children?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Does anyone understand the proposed or outlined Iran nuclear deal well enough to figure out whether or not it's a good deal? Let's assume that making a good deal is a good idea and preferable to the alternatives. The question is whether this is that deal.

I never know which particularly atrocious or outrageous news event is going to pass through my filters and really get to me (the idea being that there are too damn many of them and self preservation requires letting many, many bad things slide by). As far as I can tell, there's no rhyme or reason for what gets through. The latest and most current outrage to push my buttons is the killing of 147 Kenyan students by Somali terrorists. The sheer scale of it is mind-boggling and the pointlessness of it defies description. One's immediate reaction is to nuke these monsters back to the stone age, but in terms of what might be realistic, what are we to do about people like this who think they're doing God's work? They're obviously not going away. By "people like this" I mean terrorists using religious language as a justification for mass murder.

I don't know much about Africa but I do know that there's no country on that continent that can afford to lose the precious human resource that college students represent, especially on this horrific scale. Imagine what would be going on in this country if the same thing happened on a US college or HS campus. Unbelievably sad.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Well, I'll wade into this shit storm a bit.

No doubt this is a hot topic with thousands of years of history of the region as well as the evolutionary discussion regarding the benefits of being part of a murderous species (I'll just lump all Homo species into this).

Regarding the Iran deal. There is no 'good deal', never will be. Talks and 'agreements' mean shit to both sides.

I'm gonna take a side step here and talk a bit about PTSD. PTSD can be caused by a wide range of traumatic triggers, not just war. We are talking about an area of the world where, if diagnosis were available to the population, the vast majority of people would exhibit signs of such.

We all know WHAT PTSD can do to an individual, right? Depression, psychosis, paranoia, bi-polar, the list goes on.

SO, we have to ask ourselves, what are we to do with entire populations that are mentally ill due to the culture they've been exposed to since nearly the beginning of modern man.

Perhaps their religious zealism (that's a word, right?), is a product of the mental illness that is being suffered? What would make thousands of people think that eradication of all other religions is feasible, not to mention acceptable? We have seen this behavior in not just muslim, but christian, and bhuddist religions in the world as well. It has to be more than just the contents of a book, right?

I'm a huge proponent for education (not necessarily schools, but education as a whole) as a starting block for improvement. However, this is only after basic needs are met (food, shelter, water, stability). And maybe that's what is hanging up any noticeable improvement in the area and allowing these groups to gain the footholds they do. Folks will do almost anything when starving or freezing.

Part of me says to fuck em, leave em to their own devices. People will mention national security as a reason to stay over there, but I tell you what, if the US (and UN) backs out of the area, it will be centuries before the dust settles as they hate their neighbors and will fight them long before they try any significant attack on the US. No doubt 911 was a terrible thing. But if you look at the % of Americans that died due to that attack vs that die due to other Americans, I think we have bigger fish to fry locally if its a loss of human life driven decision.

So anyway, no real solutions offered there, but definitely some random thoughts.
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

In Mississippi, the Tower of Babel Rises

This a good read and more than a little scary. This cross stands about 1.5 miles from our old house. The piece was written by a minister.
Rev James Dobetter wrote:Now standing next to an all-you-can-eat buffet, the 110-foot cross, which was privately funded to the tune of tens of thousands, does nothing to advance the cause of Christ. It does not feed the hungry. It does not clothe the naked. It does not shelter the homeless. It does not give care to the sick.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:In Mississippi, the Tower of Babel Rises

This a good read and more than a little scary. This cross stands about 1.5 miles from our old house. The piece was written by a minister.
Rev James Dobetter wrote:Now standing next to an all-you-can-eat buffet, the 110-foot cross, which was privately funded to the tune of tens of thousands, does nothing to advance the cause of Christ. It does not feed the hungry. It does not clothe the naked. It does not shelter the homeless. It does not give care to the sick.
Not exactly the main point of the piece, but it caught my eye: 28 million motorists? Almost 10% of the population of the country passes through Florence MS in a year?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rt. 49. It's a main artery through central and southern Mississippi. Also one of the most dangerous roads I've ever driven. 28 million seems a stretch though.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

They didn't say 28 million different motorists. Locals will drive by it a thousand times a year.
I don't think it will save any souls. Looks ripe for graffiti.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:They didn't say 28 million different motorists. Locals will drive by it a thousand times a year.
Oh, I doubt graffiti. It's on the property of Berry's the most popular catfish restaurant in south central Mississippi. That would be a recipe for getting shot. I think they're serving 1,500 a day on Fridays and Saturdays.

You're right on the locals though when you do the math. This is the main artery from Jackson to the Coast. Not to mention all the people that commute from several small towns south of Jackson.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Does the cross light up?
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cotter wrote:Does the cross light up?
Oh, I hope not. I don't think so.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
LBRod wrote:They didn't say 28 million different motorists. Locals will drive by it a thousand times a year.
Oh, I doubt graffiti. It's on the property of Berry's the most popular catfish restaurant in south central Mississippi. That would be a recipe for getting shot. I think they're serving 1,500 a day on Fridays and Saturdays.

You're right on the locals though when you do the math. This is the main artery from Jackson to the Coast. Not to mention all the people that commute from several small towns south of Jackson.
There's a big difference between 28 million distinct views and 500,000 views 56 times*. When you consider how many of that half million are the already converted, even on its own terms it's hard to find much meaning here. Especially if it doesn't light up. I mean, really.

*That's just convenient math. Since that's less than 1 round trip/wk that still vastly overstates the number of people actually viewing the cross. Especially the ones who pass by at night. No lights? Really?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I haven't been by it yet but that Berry's lot is lit up like a carnival. I don't think lights are an issue. Assbags that spend $180K on a cross while misunderstanding the religion the purport to represent are more to
the point.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I haven't been by it yet but that Berry's lot is lit up like a carnival. I don't think lights are an issue. Assbags that spend $180K on a cross while misunderstanding the religion the purport to represent are more to
the point.
Well spending $180K and not getting it right while merely preaching a pointless message to the mostly already converted seems kind of on point. :lol:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cotter wrote:Does the cross light up?
Oh, I hope not. I don't think so.
Oh, I'm pretty sure it will. On the day of the second coming. And according to several resources around the Internet the wait won't be long*

*) Please feel free to moderate if considered blasphemy
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa