The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Markalanbishop

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Markalanbishop »

Got to figure that someone is working on a Section 1983 lawsuit, which is a federal statute that allows citizens to sue police officers, municipalities, etc. for violating their civil rights, e.g. the 4th Amendment (1/4 Amendment?) right to be free from unreasonable search and seizures--including use of excessive force. Money damages, punitive damages, and attorney's fees are available remedies. The DA in Ferguson had the option to bypass the grand jury and charge the police officer, but he didn't and hid behind the grand jury. DA's are supposed to represent the people, not the police. If he wanted an indictment he could have gotten one. So one man, whose police officer father was killed by an African American in the line of duty, short circuited the whole process. Irrespective of whatever the ultimate income would have been, the DA's actions or inactions just doesn't pass the smell test.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wolf wrote:
Zip City wrote:And honestly, at this point any racial parts of the story are secondary to how utterly botched the entire thing was, from the day it happened to today.

a cop defended himself. a criminal died. that's the story. anything else is fluff. nothin' racial about it

Here are some simple stories. Do they tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Katrina was a hurricane. New Orleans got in the way.
Rubin Carter killed some folks in a bar. He went to prison.
Hitler was a nut. A lot of people died.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a junkie. He died.
A lot of people choose to smoke. Many of them get lung cancer.
Glenn Ford, Carl Dausch, Henry Lee McCollum & Leon Brown and Rickey Jackson & Wiley Lee Bridgeman were all convicted of murder. All were sentenced to death. Very simple story. All were exonerated in 2014. Some had been in prison as long as 40 years. Oooops. Which part of that story is the fluffy part?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

big sigh. roll eyes. whatever

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Wolf wrote:big sigh. roll eyes. whatever

Well, who can argue with that?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So Wolf thinks criminals deserve to be killed in the street with no trial. Wild Fucking West
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:

...and this is what I was talking about. I'm not a law professor but I'm pretty sure that this affirmed nothing of the sort. This in no way allows police officers to just go around shooting people if they get the itch. But that is sure what people like the one who said are going to try and have us all believe. Irresponsible.

It is from America's Finest News Source, so I'm sure it's entirely reliable.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

And here we go.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Zip City wrote:So Wolf thinks criminals deserve to be killed in the street with no trial. Wild Fucking West

if said criminal is punching and trying to grab a LEOs gun then yes, the POS needs to be taken out. wild fuckin' reality. get a clue kid

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Wolf, Zip.

Zip, Wolf.

Before we have LJ season all over again, y'all take a deep breath and relax a little. Please.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:Wolf, Zip.

Zip, Wolf.

Before we have LJ season all over again, y'all take a deep breath and relax a little. Please.

It's LoneWolf1 again. Calling me "kid" was the dead give away. If I'm right, he'll try to stir shit up then disappear for a few months. Rinse and repeat

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

i'm very relaxed, Cole :) . these bleedin' hearts are clueless

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Wolf wrote:i'm very relaxed, Cole :) . these bleedin' hearts are clueless

What's up with the name change man?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

i go by wolf. no big deal

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

It's LoneWolf1 again. Calling me "kid" was the dead give away. If I'm right, he'll try to stir shit up then disappear for a few months. Rinse and repeat

you certainly are a simpleton :D

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

awesome. g'nite youngin'. enjoy tomorrow with your family and friends

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wolf wrote:big sigh. roll eyes. whatever

Is that like a bumper sticker or something?

If it means anything, it went way over my head, but I'm guessing it wasn't really intended to say anything, which kind of says a lot, don't you think? Wow, that's actually pretty heavy. Kind of like a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.* Whatever.

*Quoting Winston Churchill

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:Bubba we agree way more than we don't as usual. I do agree with Rod that it really comes down to you and me and him and TC and all of us rather than those at the top though. I say this simply because I have absolutely no faith in either of the big two to do anything other than what they do now. Pursue their own interest which is more power.

Just a note to say that I'm thinking a lot about this, CY. It certainly has some appeal and it incorporates tantalizing bits of a lot of interesting philosophies including most importantly for my purposes, Jeffersonian democracy. Like I said, I'm still thinking about it, but for now I think it comes down to 2 questions: Does it ultimately work? I think the answer is no. Might it work better than what we have now? Maybe. That's the part that really intrigues me. If I come up w/ anything useful to say on the subject you'll see it here first.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

"It's important to remember the world is getting better in spite of governments, not because of them."

http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/26/worlds-gone-right
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Wolf wrote:
Zip City wrote:So Wolf thinks criminals deserve to be killed in the street with no trial. Wild Fucking West

if said criminal is punching and trying to grab a LEOs gun then yes, the POS needs to be taken out. wild fuckin' reality. get a clue kid

And if the cop is lying out his ass about what the citizen did, well, fortunately for him, the prosecutor is the officer's defense attorney. Is this a great country or what?

(Many, many other comments deleted before posting.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Clams

Post by Clams »

I don't know anything about New Orleans Saints wide receiver* Benjamin Watson, but he really nailed it with this facebook post

* my son just informed me that he's a backup tight end, not a receiver. So there.

At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.
Last edited by Clams on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't run you rust

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Clams wrote:I don't know anything about New Orleans Saints wide receiver Benjamin Watson, but he really nailed it with this facebook post

At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.

He does nail it.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Swamp wrote:
Clams wrote:I don't know anything about New Orleans Saints wide receiver Benjamin Watson, but he really nailed it with this facebook post

He does nail it.

I'm not a hundred percent with it nor do I think it's got everything, but it's got a lot I like in it and it's very thoughtful. I especially admire how he takes a variety of emotions and runs through his reasons for them. I wonder if he's related to my mom's side of the family, who are Watsons.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:There is a side who cares about what the facts might be and there is a side that rushed to 'black and white judgment'. It's not up to leaders to lead us out of group-think or mob mentality, it's up to us to think for ourselves.

Penny, I'm sorry but that's naive. The vast majority of people don't think for themselves instead following what they're told and where they're led. I would hope that doesn't apply to people here but it is reality.

Oh, I completely agree. But it applies here and everywhere.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Wolf wrote:

I would not have put it that way but I can't believe I agree with Wolf! ;) Seems like a no-brainer to me. Cop was doing his job and was not looking to gun down some kid on the wrong side of town.

I would like to challenge you to tell me what the cop should have done? Maybe you will change my mind.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That's impossible to answer, as none of us were there. That said, every situation has many choices, and both parties involved made some bad ones.

But again, the situation happened. There's nothing to be done for it. But the investigation/grand jury after the fact were such an embarrassment

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This story of the 12 year old in Cleveland is even sadder than the Michael Brown case. What a fucked up world

Clams

Post by Clams »

This thread should be put on hold for thanksgiving. Give it a rest until tomorrow, everyone.
If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Our leaders don't lead because they represent their Party's best interest more than they care about the welfare of their constituents. Sadly, We The People have forgotten that we have the power to change all that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light