Major League Baseball - 2012

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Major League Baseball - 2012

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't understand major league baseball: Exhibition games on the same day as opening day??? I can't tell the teams, players or season w/out a freakin' scorecard.

Methinks the O's have problems: Losing to a community college team in April when playing starters for half the game? Ruh roh.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

It's Opening Day in Cincinnati! Lot's of questions to be answered about the Reds, and lots of beers to be drank! Play Ball!
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't understand major league baseball: Exhibition games on the same day as opening day??? I can't tell the teams, players or season w/out a freakin' scorecard.

Methinks the O's have problems: Losing to a community college team in April when playing starters for half the game? Ruh roh.

I think the O's will have problems as long as Angelos is still breathin'. It's not quite as shameful a loss as you report, though. The Norfolk Tides are not some community college team. They are the O's triple A farm team. Their roster is full of the guys that the O's just sent down. Wouldn't think they'd have anything to prove to the parent club. Also, when the starters left, the O's had the lead. Matusz pitched 4 scoreless innings. The O's backups for that game will be on Norfolk themselves next week (or on the AA team). Still, anything higher than last place is a real longshot (but the ruh roh is only for contending teams, we O's fans are already resigned to mediocrity).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubs open in Cubs style. Poor Dempster
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I don't understand major league baseball: Exhibition games on the same day as opening day??? I can't tell the teams, players or season w/out a freakin' scorecard.

I think the O's will have problems as long as Angelos is still breathin'. It's not quite as shameful a loss as you report, though. The Norfolk Tides are not some community college team. They are the O's triple A farm team. Their roster is full of the guys that the O's just sent down. Wouldn't think they'd have anything to prove to the parent club. Also, when the starters left, the O's had the lead. Matusz pitched 4 scoreless innings. The O's backups for that game will be on Norfolk themselves next week (or on the AA team). Still, anything higher than last place is a real longshot (but the ruh roh is only for contending teams, we O's fans are already resigned to mediocrity).

The O's may have lost to the Norfolk Tides, too, but they also lost to some community college team.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Jeez, I did not go back far enough. I stand corrected & that is ugly no matter how shitty we are. If it means anything (and it doesn't) we beat the hell outta some other college team the day before. I didn't think my expectations could sink much more, but I think the bar has just been lowered. Still no ruh roh, though.

joelle

Post by joelle »

Zip City wrote:Cubs open in Cubs style. Poor Dempster

agreed .( that may be a first for us Zip.!)
rough.
dempster threw 108 pitches. brilliant work.
hindsight bias says "i would have left him for that last out."
but...
wood should have gotten it done.
but...
let's not forget, there were no runs to help dempster, wood, or marmol out.
1 down. 161 to go.

* bright side:
shitty, cold weather baseball beats just about anything. ( except hot summer, winning baseball.)
Last edited by joelle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Not going to say my Cardinals won't miss Pujols, but I kinda like the looks of the lineup assuming Freese and Beltran stay healthy and Berkman and Furcal don't play like their age. Shit that's a lot of hoping to have in the lineup. Will 84 win this division?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of "poor" pitchers, how about Verlander's 8 shutout innings (2H, 1BB, 7K)? Valverde gives up 2 runs in the 9th to let the Sox tie it and then gets the win in the bottom of the inning. Sox blow the first test of their retooled bullpen. Panic grips Hub!! :lol: :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sitting at a bar watching Dodgers-Padres. How great is Vin Scully? Dude is 70 and I'll be damned if he doesn't still got it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Sitting at a bar watching Dodgers-Padres. How great is Vin Scully? Dude is 70 and I'll be damned if he doesn't still got it.

he is the booker t of broadcasters. . .

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Sitting at a bar watching Dodgers-Padres. How great is Vin Scully? Dude is 70 and I'll be damned if he doesn't still got it.

He is 84.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

oilpiers wrote:

He is 84.

Wow. That'll teach me not to believe sports radio guys.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

beantownbubba wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:

The O's may have lost to the Norfolk Tides, too, but they also lost to some community college team.

Among the things Adam Jones talked about yesterday (and to be honest he stuck his foot in in mouth a few times, and definitely made himself come off as wanted to be traded)--he mentioned the whole exhibition thing. Based on his comments, the consensus was that the O's MLB team probably didn't care to play either game and were focusing on opening day. Jones' point was that these two exhibition games could've been scheduled earlier in the spring, and therefore would've allowed more time for prep for the craziness that is Opening Day. So, that's one way to spin it.

But overall, I'm pretty down on this year's team. Yeah, I'll follow 'em and root for them, but for the most part unless things suddenly gel in a million-to-one manner, we're not looking at a 70 win season (which is kinda the benchmark right now). Our DH situation makes me wanna cry, our rotation is questionable at best, and GM Duq is freaking me out with his OBP quest.

mwh

Post by mwh »

dee dee wrote:Not going to say my Cardinals won't miss Pujols, but I kinda like the looks of the lineup assuming Freese and Beltran stay healthy and Berkman and Furcal don't play like their age. Shit that's a lot of hoping to have in the lineup. Will 84 win this division?

Agree with everything you said. I think Freese will have a big year. Wainwright is back so the pitching should be better than last year assuming carpenter isn't out too long. I think the NL central is winable for our Cards.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

mwh wrote:
dee dee wrote:Not going to say my Cardinals won't miss Pujols, but I kinda like the looks of the lineup assuming Freese and Beltran stay healthy and Berkman and Furcal don't play like their age. Shit that's a lot of hoping to have in the lineup. Will 84 win this division?

Agree with everything you said. I think Freese will have a big year. Wainwright is back so the pitching should be better than last year assuming carpenter isn't out too long. I think the NL central is winable for our Cards.

On pace for 162-0! Lineup looks solid! From what I've read and the sports radio I listen to on the way to work, I don't think you'll see Carpenter for more than 10 starts if that.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

He is 84.

Wow. That'll teach me not to believe sports radio guys.

As a San Diego fan I watch every Dodger game I can that Vin does. He restricts his travel now. It will be a shame when he retires. When they have Lyons and the other guys do the road games, it sucks.Lyons is the worst. He criticizes established players, and he was most famous for pulling down his pants to clean out the dirt after a slide. Arrogant prick. Vin lives nearby me. I work with police. His house was once robbed and the cop who went to his house described a trophy room that must be unparallelled. Dodger announcer since 1950!.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Among the things Adam Jones talked about yesterday (and to be honest he stuck his foot in in mouth a few times, and definitely made himself come off as wanted to be traded)--he mentioned the whole exhibition thing. Based on his comments, the consensus was that the O's MLB team probably didn't care to play either game and were focusing on opening day. Jones' point was that these two exhibition games could've been scheduled earlier in the spring, and therefore would've allowed more time for prep for the craziness that is Opening Day. So, that's one way to spin it.

But overall, I'm pretty down on this year's team. Yeah, I'll follow 'em and root for them, but for the most part unless things suddenly gel in a million-to-one manner, we're not looking at a 70 win season (which is kinda the benchmark right now). Our DH situation makes me wanna cry, our rotation is questionable at best, and GM Duq is freaking me out with his OBP quest.

1st Place!! Arrietta & Nick the Stick, got us off to a good start. Nick's 1st inning blast was opposite field even. It would be great if he can have a breakout year. Jones is prolly frustrated that the team keeps bandying his name around (and also that they would trade away Guthrie for 2 lesser players). Adam should have a good year (if only to enhance his desirability to other teams). Wieters should be stout & if Hardy & Reynolds can have similar numbers to last year, then our lineup will not be a pushover. Our problem as you say is DH. Reynolds should prolly be that guy. That would mean that we would have a power void @ 1st & 3rd. We play in a bandbox but never capitalize on that by focusing on obtaining power hitters. Our pitching needs to catch a break. Britton, Matusz & Arrietta have all looked like studs @ one point or another. If they stay injury free (and apparently that's a big if); we could have a solid rotation. I would feel better if JJ could stay the setup man & we had a bona fide closer; but our pen looks slightly improved from last years horror. I'm still pullin' for 82 Ws (a guy can dream can't he).

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I found out in this thread that the Norfolk Tides are now the Orioles AAA team. They had been the Mets AAA team for years, I lived there in the 70's. How does minor league teams change MLB affiliation? I have noticed the Dodgers have went all over the place in their AAA teams. Do the players and system just transfer to a new MLB team? I have never heard anyone speak of this issue. It does not make sense to me.

joelle

Post by joelle »

my favorite cub in '08 and '09 and '11
and only 2 games in and i would wager '12.
dude is a dude.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

oilpiers wrote:I found out in this thread that the Norfolk Tides are now the Orioles AAA team. They had been the Mets AAA team for years, I lived there in the 70's. How does minor league teams change MLB affiliation? I have noticed the Dodgers have went all over the place in their AAA teams. Do the players and system just transfer to a new MLB team? I have never heard anyone speak of this issue. It does not make sense to me.

This is a common occurance, but I think there's several reasons a big club will switch affiliates most of which is business related. In the Mets case, the Norfolk club was getting pissed that the Mets were providing shitty players for the AAA Norfolk team and the relationship between Norfolk and the Mets fell apart. Changes at the A and AA level are even more common. The players are under contract with the Major League club and will play where they are assigned by that club.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Speaking of the Mets, they're still in it. They're in first place.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

joelle wrote:Image
my favorite cub in '08 and '09 and '11
and only 2 games in and i would wager '12.
dude is a dude.

Can't argue a bit with that. RJ plays ball like it was intended. He's all out and reminds me of Pete Rose sliding in the the all star game. Just 100% in and for some reason always gets second guessed by management.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

How bout dem O's! Woo! Seriously though, bats have been coming alive here in Bmore. I guess they have Cerrano sacrificing live chickens over them or something. Man. Kakes has 2 HRs, and then Wieters and Jones had HRs tonight. This can't last forever, but I'll take these few glorious days in April.

oilpiers wrote:I found out in this thread that the Norfolk Tides are now the Orioles AAA team. They had been the Mets AAA team for years, I lived there in the 70's. How does minor league teams change MLB affiliation? I have noticed the Dodgers have went all over the place in their AAA teams. Do the players and system just transfer to a new MLB team? I have never heard anyone speak of this issue. It does not make sense to me.

Yeah, this happens. Basically, a club just yanks affiliation with said minor league team and move it to another. Orioles were forever Rochester Red Wings AAA affiliates. Then they went with Ottawa Lynx, and now with Norfolk. Sometimes a team comes into creation and a MLB team will move their players to it--with the O's see: Aberdeen Ironbirds, Bowie Baysox, Delmarva Shorebirds. All relatively newish teams that the Orioles affiliated themselves with. Their AA team, the Frederick Keys is probably the longest standing minor league team in the system. They recently dropped Bluefield, WV which was a rookie league team--it now is a Blue Jays affiliate.

When the MLB team switches teams it takes all its players. The players are basically just on loan to the minor league team. Switching minor league teams is happening more and more. Its all about region (proximity) and competition within the leagues.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Braves 0-2
GO BRAVES! :lol: :|
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Image

How bout dem O's! Woo! Seriously though, bats have been coming alive here in Bmore. I guess they have Cerrano sacrificing live chickens over them or something. Man. Kakes has 2 HRs, and then Wieters and Jones had HRs tonight. This can't last forever, but I'll take these few glorious days in April.

Yeah, this happens. Basically, a club just yanks affiliation with said minor league team and move it to another. Orioles were forever Rochester Red Wings AAA affiliates. Then they went with Ottawa Lynx, and now with Norfolk. Sometimes a team comes into creation and a MLB team will move their players to it--with the O's see: Aberdeen Ironbirds, Bowie Baysox, Delmarva Shorebirds. All relatively newish teams that the Orioles affiliated themselves with. Their AA team, the Frederick Keys is probably the longest standing minor league team in the system. They recently dropped Bluefield, WV which was a rookie league team--it now is a Blue Jays affiliate.

When the MLB team switches teams it takes all its players. The players are basically just on loan to the minor league team. Switching minor league teams is happening more and more. Its all about region (proximity) and competition within the leagues.

Thanks for the info. I just remember the Tidewater Tides prided themselves on having their stadium right next to the airport, just like the Mets. The theory was it gt them ready for Shea.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

When the new ball park was built in downtown Norfolk, it had the same dimensions as Shea Stadium.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Wish we could play the Twins every game.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So Ozzie G sure made a splash in south florida, LOL. I dunno, which do u think is worse in Miami: Praising Castro or dissing Jesus? It's probably a push. Tomorrow's news: Director of Marlins ticket sales jumps off top of stadium.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:Braves 0-2
GO BRAVES! :lol: :|

at least your'e not getting no-hit by John Niese.

Oh wait....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever