3DD NC

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: 3DD NC

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gene Gene the Dancing Machine!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

^^^ Nice!

Morning folks & Happy Friday!

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Speaking of trolling, that ballsdeep guy posted on the MMJ forum. It was strange--his very first post---said about the same thing, he was going on some taping journey and even though he 'purposely' never listened to MMJ or had seen a show, wanted to know the taping requirements. It was strange. No one took the bait, though.

Are any of you telecommuters? I just got approved to go 100% (therefore will be leaving NYC in a few months). My question is are there any tips to being successful at it? I guess I've been sort of testing it out but it hasn't gone well. After getting a strong start and answering a bunch of emails, I found myself spending an hour at the grocery store talking to the clerk about the Amanda Knox case, I watched 4 episodes of 'Best Foods' (btw, that's AWESOME), and by 4pm was ready to jump off a bridge. I'm usually pretty structured and disciplined and I need to keep this job for the time benig because it's a NYC salary, but are there tricks for this?

TC and Gtrman--you work from home, right?? (sorry--don't know another thread to put this in)..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:Speaking of trolling, that ballsdeep guy posted on the MMJ forum. It was strange--his very first post---said about the same thing, he was going on some taping journey and even though he 'purposely' never listened to MMJ or had seen a show, wanted to know the taping requirements. It was strange. No one took the bait, though.

Are any of you telecommuters? I just got approved to go 100% (therefore will be leaving NYC in a few months). My question is are there any tips to being successful at it? I guess I've been sort of testing it out but it hasn't gone well. After getting a strong start and answering a bunch of emails, I found myself spending an hour at the grocery store talking to the clerk about the Amanda Knox case, I watched 4 episodes of 'Best Foods' (btw, that's AWESOME), and by 4pm was ready to jump off a bridge. I'm usually pretty structured and disciplined and I need to keep this job for the time benig because it's a NYC salary, but are there tricks for this?

TC and Gtrman--you work from home, right??

For the benefit of your career, study after study shows that the best thing you can do is show up at the office regularly.

For getting work done, the best thing you can do is create a realistic schedule and stick to it. E.g. if you're going to do chores during the day, recognize it and try to bundle them into 1 or 2x per week at specific times and literally add those hours to your work day some other day/time. Resist the call of friends and family to watch the cat, feed the dog, be there for the UPS man, etc etc as much as possible - if you couldn't do it when you were 9 to 5 at the office you can't do it now (for the most part, there are always exceptions).

Committing to a schedule is by far the most important thing you can do, at least in my experience. To the extent you're successful, you may also want to actually add into your day specific times to get out of the house, like having lunch out x days a week or taking a yoga class at the Y (remembering to reschedule that work hour!) just for the purpose of getting some fresh air and talking to other human beings. While the ease of slacking off may be your initial enemy, isolation is the most likely long term problem (and again regular face time at the office is important for these as well as the reason stated above).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I haven't had to work from home in a corporate sense, but my freelance design work is done from home, and I am REALLY easily distracted by the TV, music, etc. I find that I get more work done if I can take my laptop to the library or a coffee shop or something where the only thing I have to do is the actual work.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip and Bubba--that's good advice. I think I'll start scheduling my long runs during the middle of the afternoon and keep the netflix off.
I've been working in an office since I was 21, this is very new to me. It took a year or so to even get up the courage to ask for this. I'd once been diagnosed as having A.D.D. and now I'm starting to think that shrink was right. (lol)...I'm hoping this is temporary and in 6 months I'll be studying for the bar or have a new career or job or something.

See? 1 hour in and i have about 4 posts on 3DD, I'm popping The Shield in, and I've answered 1 work related email. #telecommuterprobs

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Gene Gene the Dancing Machine!

If we're going Barris, we need some Popsicle Twins

Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Happy Saturday, Folks.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

To quote what it said on Facebook:

This isn't funny. Stop laughing
No, really.

(It would be funnier with a possum, I think.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Not quite as funny as I thought it was gonna be but still.....Cat/ in a Shark costume/ chasing a Duck/riding a Rumba.

Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

GuitarManUpstairs

Penny Lane wrote:TC and Gtrman--you work from home, right?? (sorry--don't know another thread to put this in)..

Yeah...distractions can really be a killer whether they are forced upon you or by your own accord. I sort of go through cycles of being extremely productive (which is usually when the kids want to burst in and climb on my head) and periods where I allow myself to wander the internet (FB, 3DD, unmentionables...um JK :?), throw darts, listen to LPs, drink 5-6 beers at 1:30 PM...etc.... (strangely I am hardly ever bothered then...) Anyway, like Bubba says try to keep it as regularly scheduled as you can. Get up and get ready as if you were going to the office if you need to. I am actually out of teh office seeing customers about 60% of the time so my office time is actually cut by that and what time I have to spend there usually has me facing a laundry list of things to do, at least when business is flowing normally. It's the downtime when business is slow that I have a hard time finding productive things to do.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

wait? Posting on 3DD isn't productive? :D

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

bovine knievel wrote:Happy Saturday, Folks.

So TRUE!!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Evening folks. Out travelling and spending the night in one of my favorite towns on earth, Athens, GA.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Evening folks. Out travelling and spending the night in one of my favorite towns on earth, Athens, GA.

Hey speaking of hammers, I freakin' LOVE this kickstarter. I am so in.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/363 ... mmer/posts

My DIY days are kind of behind me I think but fuck it, who doesn't need tools?

Penny, my 2c :

after the earthquakes when this town was completely trashed (two years on its only mostly trashed) I worked from home for three months till we got going the temporary shitty offices we are still in. Best. time. ever.

I practised law in my underwear quite a lot, had chill time hanging out with the cat, and generally was way more productive than I normally am. The key was less interruptions. Its like if I work late or at the weekends. Two hours = half a day.

As others have said, discipline is the key. I am not a morning person so dont start till 9. and with my job I am always meeting people and stuff so the isolation is not a big deal.

The worst part was the fridge is always RIGHT there. And so is the coffee machine. or if bored or its a bit slow the coffee shop is right around the corner..... but its about discipline.

Oh yeah, studying for the bar exam? good luck with that. I take it you've finished at Uni now. Yay! out of the meat grinder. into the, um, meat grinder.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A rock band called the Wheeler Brothers, with giggling groupies (ok they could be girlfriends, these kids are young) has just checked into my hotel. Actually a checked out their music and they sound pretty good. They're young and loud so I hope I can sleep, should be ok they're several rooms down.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:A rock band called the Wheeler Brothers, with giggling groupies (ok they could be girlfriends, these kids are young) has just checked into my hotel. Actually a checked out their music and they sound pretty good. They're young and loud so I hope I can sleep, should be ok they're several rooms down.

Never heard them live and don't know much of anything about them but they have the Ray Wylie Hubbard seal of approval so they must have something going. They're at Smiths Olde Bar here in Atlanta Wed. I think.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

GuitarManUpstairs

bovine knievel wrote:wait? Posting on 3DD isn't productive? :D

Well there's worthwhile...and then there's productive. Two totally different concepts altogether. :D

Kudzu Guillotine

A little overdue for May the 4th be with you but for some folks it never truly ends.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Morning folks. Welcome to Wednesday.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

:twisted:
Last edited by bovine knievel on Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Users online: GW in IA and 0 guests.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GuitarManUpstairs

GW in IA wrote:Users online: GW in IA and 0 guests.

Hellooooo, Hellooo, Helloo, Hello, Hello......crickets....

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tellin a joke around here anymore is neither 'worthwhile' nor 'productive'. It's like talking to yourseIf. I'm over taking it personal. I've convinced myself that there is a new secret spot and I'm outta the loop. :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:Tellin a joke around here anymore is neither 'worthwhile' nor 'productive'. It's like talking to yourseIf. I'm over taking it personal. I've convinced myself that there is a new secret spot and I'm outta the loop. :lol:

I know a lot of boards/email lists came to a standstill because of Facebook, Twitter, etc. but I don't recall 3DD ever being this slow. I would say it's something to do with spring (and maybe it is) but in these parts it's still more like late winter. I've even taken up coffee drinking.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

DiamondDave wrote:Image

Guard: "Look at those crazy fools!"
Dude in suit: "It's just white folks, it's what they do"

Morning folks. Thanks for the disturbing image DD.

GuitarManUpstairs

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A little overdue for May the 4th be with you but for some folks it never truly ends.

Pretty sure I went to high school with that dude. Now he's a nuclear submarine commander.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Mr French---thanks for the helpful comments. I think staying 10 paces away from the fridge might be a big challenge as well. I also think 2 hours=half a day is an accurate measure (for at least how productive I've been in the office for the past 6 years).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.