3DD Hurricane Party

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: 3DD Hurricane Party

Post by RevMatt »

Penny Lane wrote:Roommate and I were unable to secure food, batteries, flashlights or water; however we're stocked up on vodka, limes, eggplant (mysterious grows in our backyard) and figs (from our neighbors fig tree). We're all set to take on Irene! Can someone tell me what zone I'm in because these maps are confusing...? UR and CG, come and get me and take me to your high lying house :-)

If you want to get out, let me know. The trains stop running at noon tomorrow, so you have to decide before then. Get a westbound train and I can pick you up in Summit or someplace like that. I got a full tank of gas, a pot of chili, a thing of jello and two loaves of bread. Better to get out and have a party someplace out of the path than to be stuck with no power, no food, no water and flooded streets.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Penny Lane wrote:My roommate rented a zip car and wanted to head west tomorrow, I think we'll be okay (thanks for the text RevMAtt) ..Lower lying areas of Manhattan are being evacuated, but the storm's already been downgraded and the last thing I want is to be stuck in traffic in a zip car with my roommate singing Erasure songs. I'm going to wait this out and hope the Barcade has their video games in higher lying areas. We'll see! Right now stores have fun out of bottled water and flashlights...maybe they still have cans of lentils.

Maybe he/she can sing some Who for ya! :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Only love
Can make it rain
The way the beach is kissed by the sea
Only love
Can make it rain
Like the sweat of lovers
Laying in the fields.

Love, Reign o'er me
Love, Reign o'er me, rain on me
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:Easy recipe:

Cut up two yellow onions
One Red Pepper
One Green Pepper
Cook two pounds ground beef
4 cans of diced tomatoes
3 Cans kidney beans
two cloves of garlic
Two packages of McCormicks Chili seasoning
Dump everything into the crock pot
Set for ten hours
Go into the livingroom and put on The Dirty South, preferably on vinyl. "The clouds started forming at 5:00 PM ..."

Okay, all the fixins* for Rev. Matt's Hurricane Chili are in the crock pot and I'll fire it up first thing in the AM. The Mrs even found a box of Trader Joe's cornbread mix in the pantry. Gonna have us a time.

*I omitted one of the onions and the beans (wife is allergic). But I added a jalapeno. 8-)
If you don't run you rust

njMark

Post by njMark »

im spending the hurricane shuffling between dropping my son off at my sisters house and going to SMC where my wife is in the maternity ward waiting to give birth to our newest son. I must say he has impeccable timing. Stay safe everybody

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

for a cat. 2 storm this thing sure is getting some hype.
there is no way this will be a "storm of historic proportions."
don't get me wrong....
the wind will blow and it will rain buckets.
but...
a katrina, ivan, charlie or camille this thing is not.
it's not even close.

for those of you in the path...
here's to non-flooded basements and your power staying on >
we're all just humans being.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

njMark wrote:im spending the hurricane shuffling between dropping my son off at my sisters house and going to SMC where my wife is in the maternity ward waiting to give birth to our newest son. I must say he has impeccable timing. Stay safe everybody

wow, keep us posted! are you gonna call him Hurricane? ( i mean you can't call him Irene, right )
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This was taken earlier this morning at Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle, NC. I lived in that area for quite some time but am thankful to be on higher ground (Raleigh) today, though this area will be feeling Irene's wrath later today.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Irene seems to be fizzling down as she is hitting land, according to the weather peeps up here in MA. But you never know, she is a woman and she does have the prerogative to change her mind :o :lol:
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

garnersound wrote:for a cat. 2 storm this thing sure is getting some hype.
don't get me wrong....
but...
it's not even close.

The hype is because the storm is hitting areas that don't usually get hurricanes. Kind of like when Atlanta shuts down for a week because of two inches of snow.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:
garnersound wrote:for a cat. 2 storm this thing sure is getting some hype.
don't get me wrong....
but...
it's not even close.

The hype is because the storm is hitting areas that don't usually get hurricanes. Kind of like when Atlanta shuts down for a week because of two inches of snow.

Plus it's heading for the most densely populated part of the country. And regardless of category 1 or 2 or whatever, 6-12" of rain is a lot of fuckin' rain.

As usual, I will stay tuned to 3DD for all weather and news updates. :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Corner of Front and Church Streets in Swansboro, NC

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm under mandatory evacuation by noon today. That is not happening...will be later when I go to my brother & sister-in-law's place on higher ground. I think they made it too early anyway...isn't even raining here yet.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Footage of flooding in Atlantic Beach, NC:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My parents live in Cape Carteret but are vacationing in Vermont right now. This storm seems to have taken a northwestern path towards Richmond but they have not changed the forecast yet. They are still calling for it to hug the coast.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Bill in CT wrote:I'm under mandatory evacuation by noon today. That is not happening...will be later when I go to my brother & sister-in-law's place on higher ground. I think they made it too early anyway...isn't even raining here yet.

I think they factor in anticipated traffic jams, but that does seem premature.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:My parents live in Cape Carteret but are vacationing in Vermont right now.

Good time to be vacationing. My brother still lives in that area but even he had the good sense to high tail it out of there. That's a huge difference to his attitude towards Hurricane Bertha in '96 when he refused to even prepare for the storm other than moving our boat to a supposedly safe locale (it got washed up on shore along with several other larger boats). He never took another hurricane after that so lightly. Of course we lived in a flood zone so there was no taking the threat of hurricane lightly anyway. Bertha was really the first time we had to take one so seriously even after owning that property since the mid-70s. By the time we'd renovated and rebuilt after Berth, here came Hurricane Fran the very same summer.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:I'm under mandatory evacuation by noon today. That is not happening...will be later when I go to my brother & sister-in-law's place on higher ground. I think they made it too early anyway...isn't even raining here yet.

I think they factor in anticipated traffic jams, but that does seem premature.

It's been changed to 4 pm. That makes more sense to me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

lynne

Post by lynne »

This hurricane is really annoying me! I can handle the flooding but not the power outage. If you sneeze in this half ass town, the power goes out. Had some GREAT snow parties over the winter; sure could go for a hurricane party this weekend to liven things up! ;)
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

i'm not saying that media is crying wolf.
i know it's a real hurricane. (or was)
they are just over-hyping this storm.
it's not the monster they (media) want it to be.
twc, cnn, fox all want a katrina in dc/new york.
until that does not happen, they will insist that is going to happen.
this storm is not capable of doing that.
instead of facts, you get "what if's and possible scenarios"
over-hyping storms leads to loss of life.
the april 27 tornado out-break is a prime example.
media preaches doomsday type scenario @ anything other than a clear day. (this summer they even said sunny days will kill you)
almost always nothing "apocalyptic" happens...
folks get numb to warnings with "nothing happened last time" attitudes.
and then....
when it really does happen.
nobody heeds the warning and you have major loss of life.

looks like you guys are in for a huge rain-maker more that anything.
the main threat will of course be flash and coastal flooding and small spin up tornadoes.

wish all you up that way the very best.
may the fatties outlast the storm.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I lol'erd.

Seriously, though stay safe out there. Keeping tabs on people via Twitter and FB.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't think the forecasters are lying. Right now they are saying that the storm surge is going to cause flooding in the low lying areas. They aren't talking about hurricane force winds or anything. But they are predicting five or more inches of rain combined with a storm surge. The barrier islands have lost homes during regular nor'easters that were not hurricanes. So making the vacationers go home is the prudent thing to do.

The lastest forecast I heard for the NY metropolitan area is that Irene will be a tropical storm when it passes through. The worst of it will be between 3:00 and 8:00 AM.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here it is. Rev. Matt's Hurrican Chili with a side of cornbread.
Was deelish! Thanks Rev!

Kudzu Guillotine

Better to err on the side of caution than risk life and limb by trying to stick it out. I think there was very due cause for concern when it was a Category 4 but once it was downgraded there was still risk involved, those in the path of the storm just have to use their own best judgement. Despite the photos I posted from the Crystal Coast area of NC, a friend of mine on the Intracoastal Waterway said his home sustained minimal damage. Since that area is in a flood zone he still had no alternate than to evacuate as there is no "riding it out" there. When Hurricane Charlie hit several years back, by the time it made landfall it had been downgraded to a tropical storm. By that time we had already made all the preparations (since we were in the exact same location as my friend, that meant loading up all the appliances) so we still evacuated. Within a few short hours of it hitting land the sun was back out and the most damage we received was losing a canopy over our patio. Still, it was best that we evacuated.

Here in Raleigh today we had some trees down due to strong winds and some minor flooding but that was pretty much the extent of the damage.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:Here it is. Rev. Matt's Hurrican Chili with a side of cornbread.
Was deelish! Thanks Rev!

Been eating it all day. I put beans in mine in case the power goes out.

I am about to put two more loaves of honey whole wheat in the oven.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Image

I lol'erd.

Seriously, though stay safe out there. Keeping tabs on people via Twitter and FB.

that's so true...i did like 90% of those things
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

Raining like a motherfucker. Wind, tornado warnings, etc. The creek is okay for now but the ceiling in my den has already sprung 2 leaks. They're minor and not unexpected. The brunt of the storm isn't expected until 4:00 am. Good times! The drink of choice is jack and diet.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Clams wrote:Raining like a motherfucker. Wind, tornado warnings, etc. The creek is okay for now but the ceiling in my den has already sprung 2 leaks. They're minor and not unexpected. The brunt of the storm isn't expected until 4:00 am. Good times! The drink of choice is jack and diet.

Good luck Clams.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

hope everyone is okay up that way.
this thing is dumping some more water.
to be honest...
i wish i was there >
Last edited by garnersound on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Update: Looks like we made it ok (so far). It's still raining but the worst of it appears to be over. Power has stayed on and right now the creek is low. The rain and wind should be tapering off over the next few hours. The creek did come over its banks last night around 11:30 and I thought it was going to get bad since at the time they were forecasting that the worst was yet to come, but fortunately there was an hour long lull in the rain and the water just retreated back into the walls after about 20 minutes. It retreated so fast that the water never had a chance to reach our house. I even got some sleep from about 2:00am-5:00am. We did get some leakage in our den but it was in spots that have leaked before, so it was kind of expected. But it looks bad in other parts of the Philly area. Fingers crossed for everyone else.