3DD Hurricane Party

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sg207

Re: 3DD Hurricane Party

Post by sg207 »

Glad to hear everybody is ok.

And while I didn't go through the hurricane, it sure is making me sweat my wedding plans after all the destruction that Hatteras Island has seen.

Maybe it's not meant to be it the place you plan to get married ends up being torn in two?

Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I wonder if folks still think the media "overhyped" Hurricane Irene, especially after having a gander at some of the photos like the ones posted above (and elsewhere in this thread)?

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I wonder if folks still think the media "overhyped" Hurricane Irene, especially after having a gander at some of the photos like the ones posted above (and elsewhere in this thread)?

No kidding. Although I find it odd that there has been no mainstream coverage of North Carolina since Saturday (at least that I've seen). Granted, there is obviously a huge difference in populations between there and the northeast, but there is some pretty seriuos damage, particularly on Hatteras Island.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

lynne wrote: Anyone have experience with this one?

yes, when the tornado hit by my house early this summer i was without power for almost two days. went and bought a generator to keep the sump pump and fridge/freezer going. i got everythign fired up with minimal flooding so none of my equipment got ruined.

lynne

Post by lynne »

wrekkr wrote:

yes, when the tornado hit by my house early this summer i was without power for almost two days. went and bought a generator to keep the sump pump and fridge/freezer going. i got everythign fired up with minimal flooding so none of my equipment got ruined.

Thanks - After the power came back I got the sumps up and running and basement almost dry. Fired up the well and hot water heater and shockingly they work! Hooray!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lynne wrote:
wrekkr wrote:

Thanks - After the power came back I got the sumps up and running and basement almost dry. Fired up the well and hot water heater and shockingly they work! Hooray!

Excellent!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

nice save

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ugh, "fun" weekend. Just now getting internet back. Power was out until 11PM last night.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Still no juice. Borrowed a generator from work & ravaged my electric panel to get some essentials back on. Fuckin' power co. Can't even tell us when we'll be back on. I've got the only lights on the block.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

lynne

Post by lynne »

Slipkid42 wrote:Still no juice. Borrowed a generator from work & ravaged my electric panel to get some essentials back on. Fuckin' power co. Can't even tell us when we'll be back on. I've got the only lights on the block.

That stinks, especially when they wont give you an estimate. Glad you were able to get a generator though. Being without power does suck big time. Will keep my fingers crossed you get it back soon.

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I wonder if folks still think the media "overhyped" Hurricane Irene, especially after having a gander at some of the photos like the ones posted above (and elsewhere in this thread)?

they way overhyped this storm.
yes... i see the pictures.
yes... there was flooding and downed trees.
simple thunderstorms do that kind of damage.

a tropical storm has to have maximum sustained winds of 75 mph to be a hurricane.
irene had max. sustained winds of 53 mph when it made landfall on long island.
NOT A HURRICANE.
but yet, major media would not call it what it was, a tropical storm.
they still insisted it was a hurricane and new york was as good as gone.
i even heard claims that irene could possibly intensify after it made landfall in new york.
that is IMPOSSIBLE.

my favorite sight was the reporter all hunkered down bracing himself from the "devastating winds and blinding rain" while tourists walked (with great ease) behind him.

once again, i'm not saying they "cried wolf."
they just blew irene way out proportion.
they made it something it wasn't.
and that will get lots of people killed when and if this happens again.(with a real hurricane)
we're all just humans being.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The forecast was that Irene would hit NJ as a Category 1 hurricane and that flooding would be the major issue along with some beach erosion. We got a tropical storm with far more flooding than predicted but less beach erosion. I would say that with the exception of the wind speed they got it pretty much on the money. The other mistake was assuming the worst areas hit would be the shore areas. In NJ the northern inland areas took the worst hits in terms of flooding. The hype, however, is a different story. TV networks learned 20 years ago that constant coverage of an impending storm or blizzard yields much higher ratings than sticking to regular programing with five minute updates every twenty minutes. Constant coverage may be unnecessary but the only way to change that is to stop watching it.

Today I rode my motorcycle through Cranford -- one of the worst areas hit -- a couple hours after people were allowed to return to their homes. Basically, everything on the first floor of their houses was lined up on the curb to be hauled away as trash.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

garnersound wrote:

they way overhyped this storm.
yes... i see the pictures.
yes... there was flooding and downed trees.
simple thunderstorms do that kind of damage.

a tropical storm has to have maximum sustained winds of 75 mph to be a hurricane.
irene had max. sustained winds of 53 mph when it made landfall on long island.
NOT A HURRICANE.
but yet, major media would not call it what it was, a tropical storm.
they still insisted it was a hurricane and new york was as good as gone.
i even heard claims that irene could possibly intensify after it made landfall in new york.
that is IMPOSSIBLE.

my favorite sight was the reporter all hunkered down bracing himself from the "devastating winds and blinding rain" while tourists walked (with great ease) behind him.

once again, i'm not saying they "cried wolf."
they just blew irene way out proportion.
they made it something it wasn't.
and that will get lots of people killed when and if this happens again.(with a real hurricane)

Interesting. The coverage I saw and heard was remarkably restrained and very much on target during the actual event (as opposed to the build up). They were regularly updating the status of the hurricane as it was downgraded to Category I and then, indeed, to a "tropical storm." And precisely because they were reporting the downgrade the reporters went to great lengths to note that tropical storms were still dangerous, capable of high wind gusts and torrential rains leading to flooding, which is exactly what happened. I did not hear anything about the storm potentially intensifying and to the extent that dynamic was mentioned it was always in the vein of "as it moves inland it will lose intensity."

I think they overdid the coastal reporting a bit, seeming to be almost wishing for more spectacular shots of storm surges and houses falling into the sea, but as soon as the flooding started producing equivalent pictures they were more than happy to switch over and report what the real impact was, even if it was in little towns in upstate NY and VT rather than the big cities. I suspect the southern states got short shrift because when they were suffering their biggest hit, the bigger story was still the anticipated impact on the big cities and because a lot of the worst impact was in the form of lost power which is not a very sexy story to report. Once the pictures of Hatteras started to emerge, tho, that got plenty of play.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

were you getting local reports from local stations?
maybe they were a little more down to earth.
all i had was major media coverage and weather blogs.
the weather channel is becoming a joke, or @ least i feel that way.
some of those reporters should move to hollywood, because they sure can act.
or maybe that's where they came from.....

don't get me wrong.
i'm glad they over-hyped it.
i would take this
over this any day...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I live less than a mile from the ocean and had to make a decision Saturday afternoon. Should I get in the car, drive to my friend's place in a small town along the Delaware or stay put? I decided to stay home and this decision was based in part on the satelite imagery on television and the information given by The Weather Channel. I also took into consideration the history of hurricanes hitting our region. Historically the inland areas get hit the worst. So I figured that if I stayed home the worst I would get was a storm with the same intensity of a bad winter nor'easter but with rain instead of snow. If I went to my friend's I could be stranded there with no power for more than a day because of flooding. Turns out I made the right decision. I only lost power for five minutes during the storm while my friend lost it for about 12 hours. And there was much more flooding where he lived.

So, I don't think they gave out bad information. The constant coverage was a bit much but no one forces you to watch it. North of Virginia hurricanes don't pack as much of a punch because the ocean temperatures are cooler. But if you get ten inches of rain in a mountainous region there will be major flooding.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Finally got power back around 7:00 am this morning. Of course that was right after I re-invented my electric panel to give us a fridge & some lights & t.v. w/a generator. I just put everything back together & we're consuming wattage again. Irene, you were a tremendous pain in my ass (but it coulda been much worse).
g-sound, I'm w/ya on TWC being overly dramatic to a degree. One of the last things I saw before my t.v. went out on Sat. was some yo-yo 40' out in the roiling ocean off Carolina, bracing himself against 60 mph winds. He was braggin' about how he'd been through Floyd & Fran. I was prayin' some rip tide would yank that retard out to sea.
Theatrical as they were makin' the weather out to be, subtle variations in direction or wind speed coulda turned Irene into something much worse. I'd rather be overhyped & ready for the worst, than be blindsided. In '73, Agnes (which I think was a Cat 3) followed a similar (but slightly more inland) path up the coast. In the days leading up to it, nobody had a clue which direction it would go & a whole lot of people were woefully unprepared.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

njMark

Post by njMark »

Spent the storm on the island of Somerset County NJ in Hillsboro while the wife and newborn son were one town away but not accessible due to flooding. Finally got the fam home Tuesday. All I know is Manville needs some serious help with that whole flood control program.

lynne

Post by lynne »

njMark wrote:Spent the storm on the island of Somerset County NJ in Hillsboro while the wife and newborn son were one town away but not accessible due to flooding. Finally got the fam home Tuesday. All I know is Manville needs some serious help with that whole flood control program.

Congrats on the baby! Glad the whole family is home safe and happy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Congrats, NJ Mark!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Congrats, NJ Mark!

x2 :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Congrats Mark!

Watched the news this morning and now that all the barns that got flooded on Sunday are drying out there's a rash of hay fires. Grim, man. Grim.

There's almost a little survivor's guilt going on with folks so close by being so fucked by this storm while most of us went untouched. By the grace of the flying spaghetti monster go I.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Congrats, NJ Mark!

x2 :D

x3
It's been a banner summer for 3DD offspring! Post some baby pics Mark. Mazel tov!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of baby pics, has anyone heard anything from mgsooner?

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

the "before" is disheartening

Clams

Post by Clams »

Survived Irene. Did not survive last night's deluge. Shit hit the fan about 1:30am. About a foot of h2o in the basement. Big mess. :twisted:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Survived Irene. Did not survive last night's deluge. Shit hit the fan about 1:30am. About a foot of h2o in the basement. Big mess. :twisted:

:o :( :(

This weather totally sucks and is really starting to get to me. Good thing i've suddenly got 2 DBT shows in my future. Good for what ails ya. :)

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Sorry to hear it Clams. We got pounded gain. A couple inches yesterday and another 4.75" last night. The river is going to hit flood stage, the creeks are straining their banks and my garage floor is covered in water. Could be worse for me, but the worst is yet to come for friends along the Delaware.

Not forever, just for now.

Clams

Post by Clams »

'Scratch wrote:Sorry to hear it Clams. We got pounded gain. A couple inches yesterday and another 4.75" last night. The river is going to hit flood stage, the creeks are straining their banks and my garage floor is covered in water. Could be worse for me, but the worst is yet to come for friends along the Delaware.

according to weather.com, i got 9+ inches in the last 24 hrs. that's friggin insane.
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/l ... port/19096
(someone pls make a joke about 9 inches)

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

About 40 miles up river from you, and 10 miles south of me.

New Hope, PA

I wish we could bottle it up and send it down to Texas.
Not forever, just for now.