Kayaking

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BigTom
Site Admin

Kayaking

Post by BigTom »

Does anyone on here kayak? I have been wanting to try it for years now. I have been thinking about attending one of the classes that LL Bean offers but I am 6ft tall and 280lbs and I am afraid that I will make a fool of myself. I own property near the Cacapon River in WV and it's perfect for water sports like this. I have checked out some kayaks and some have a weight capacity of up to 375lbs. Just don't know how physically demanding the sport is for a big person. Any guidance is appreciated.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

LuthierJustin

Re: Kayaking

Post by LuthierJustin »

My Uncle and Aunt are really out doorsy people (kayaking, rock climbing, Mountain Biking...) When I was a kid we used to go camping with them, we'd go kayaking, It was alot of fun. I remember the first time I was scared I was gonna tip it but once I got in and paddled around I got comfortable with it.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've never done any serious kayaking, but I go about twice every summer down the Tallapoosa River (really tame). Extremely fun, if I'm worthlessly hungover for a week afterwards :)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tom, are we talking white or flat water?

I know little to nothing about white water but I've been kayaking lakes and rivers since I was about 18 and bought my first boat at a garage sale (still have 'er up in the barn rafters). You are absolutely a candidate for flat water.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lara elisabeth is the expert on this sort of thing. You could trying pm'ing her, but would be better off trying to find her on facebook.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

I have been kayaking for years, and it does get easier the more you do it. I agree with you, that taking a class up front is important, and will help you learn the basics. LL Bean, EMS and REI all have knowledgable staff that can help you choose the kayak that is best.

I would recommend for your first kayak getting a plastic shell. They may be a bit heavier than fiberglass or kevlar, but are cheaper and much more durable (especially if you paddle over, or hit a rock). Try to go for a kayak thay is at least 10-12 feet in length. The longer and thinner the kayak, the better it will track and glide (although initially it may feel a bit more unstable - you will quickly get over this, the more you get out there). As far as getting a kayak with a rudder, you only really need this if you are going out in the ocean or huge lakes (like the Great Lakes). They add cost and weight to the kayak, and I've found that I really don't need one.

I started with a 12 ft recreational kayak from EMS, then after a few years of practice, I upgraded to a 14 ft touring kayak. Any chance I can, I try to sneak away, even if its for a few hours on a local river.

Good luck and ENJOY!!
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

You're talking whitewater, right?

I used to paddle a lot. the key is learning the basics. You're not too big. I have a lot of friends as big (tall) or bigger than you, and manufacturers make appropriately sized boats. 280 pounds is nearly 130kg, which is fairly big: you'll need a high volume boat (i.e. me at 5 ft 4 and 70kg (150lb) and you at your size need radically different boats.

Definitely do a beginners course. You need the basics of stroke, fit, rail control and (I can't emphasise this enough) you need to learn how to roll. Once you can do that, your paddling will improve by leaps and bounds. Mostly paddling is confidence, and risk mitigation, but there is actual danger and you could die.

talk to paddlers. Lara E works as a river guide: knows her stuff. theres some hilarity in the NC thread about "paddlers shoulders"
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

You know my stature as well, and I'd say if yr gonna try it--see if they have one that you sit on top of, as opposed to inside it.

As a beginner, yr not gonna be braving the river wild--so it should be ok for what you want to be doing. Plus, I like them for fishing, etc. Haven't kayaked in awhile--but that's what I remember about them. Did a ton in HS around the Chesapeake Bay, and then in college down the Potomac near Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry (only mentioning 'cause I know you know where they are ;) )

I think its great to take a class and learn the basics. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

If you're talking whitewater, I highly recommend taking a lesson (not from LL Bean). Everybody's got a friend who paddles who thinks he can teach but it's so worth getting quality instruction from the beginning so you don't spend years trying to break bad habits.

There are tons of boats for big guys now. Take a look at the Wavesport and Jackson Kayaks lines. See if you can find a shop that will let you rent a boat for the day so you can paddle around and see what's comfortable. Nothing worse than spending $1000 on a boat and realizing there's no way you can spend 5 hours in it paddling down a river.

I haven't been super active in the paddling community in years but boatertalk used to have a great Gear Swap forum. Check out Craigslist too. Go new on the helmet though.

Being in WV, you're going to have a great time learning to paddle. It's a kayaker's paradise up there.

This is a video of my youngest (who's 7 now) paddling about two years ago.

And here is surfing a wave for the first time.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

never going back wrote:If you're talking whitewater, I highly recommend taking a lesson (not from LL Bean). Everybody's got a friend who paddles who thinks he can teach but it's so worth getting quality instruction from the beginning so you don't spend years trying to break bad habits.

There are tons of boats for big guys now. Take a look at the Wavesport and Jackson Kayaks lines. See if you can find a shop that will let you rent a boat for the day so you can paddle around and see what's comfortable. Nothing worse than spending $1000 on a boat and realizing there's no way you can spend 5 hours in it paddling down a river.

I haven't been super active in the paddling community in years but boatertalk used to have a great Gear Swap forum. Check out Craigslist too. Go new on the helmet though.

Being in WV, you're going to have a great time learning to paddle. It's a kayaker's paradise up there.

AWESOME!!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am mainly just interested in floating around the Cacapon River and doing a little fishing. If I find that I am really liking it, I will persue it further. Looked at some kayaks this past weekend and there are a few that are extra wide and will accommodate my weight and are recommended for fishing.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Trid kayaking about a month ago, totally fckd me up. As some of you know I talk with my hands and well let's just say I swallowed more of the Upper Falls in NH that I would have cared too!!!!

Hand talker + paddle = receipe for disaster :lol: :lol: :lol:
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

The Black Canary wrote:I swallowed more of the Upper Falls in NH that I would have cared too!!!!

I bet that was a..

Nah, still too hot out. BTB, knock it out of the park! :twisted:

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

BigTom wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am mainly just interested in floating around the Cacapon River and doing a little fishing. If I find that I am really liking it, I will persue it further. Looked at some kayaks this past weekend and there are a few that are extra wide and will accommodate my weight and are recommended for fishing.

The term "kayak" is as varied as the term "boat". There are very many factors to consider. They sell giant topheavy ones out here in Cal. in sporting goods stores for under $300, but I would not use it. Too bulky and impractical. A good ocean fishing kayak, with seat and paddle will run about a grand or more. If you wanted a sit on top you get more ease of use for equipment, but less protection. Some are built for speed, but they are easier to fall out of. Mine are Ocean Kayak Frenzy. They are only 9 feet long, fairly wide, and stable enough for standing up on while in the water. They are not good for long distance or fishing, because of the limited space. They are easy for beginners, and great for riding ocean waves. Then there is inflatable kayaks. I personally do not like the Hobie or Cobra brand for sit on top ocean kayaks. I would venture to guess that for the style you want there will be one brand that suits you better than the others. Think of portability, stability, sharp hard corners(a bad thing) and being able to do what you want it for.

Take your time and make sure you know what is right for you before you purchase.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

never going back wrote:If you're talking whitewater, I highly recommend taking a lesson (not from LL Bean). Everybody's got a friend who paddles who thinks he can teach but it's so worth getting quality instruction from the beginning so you don't spend years trying to break bad habits.

damn cool. I'd totally forgotten you were a paddler. Come on down, bring the family, i'll show you the hot spots. (or get my mates too.... I'll make sure the beers are cold and the BBQ is on)
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Dude, you live in New Zealand. Don't be surprised if we take you up on that offer. :D
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Going paddling this weekend for the first time since daddyhood took over my life. Just an overnight on Little Tupper Lake in the west/central Adirondacks but getting that boat wet at all is a big deal. Ain't seen water in years, as they say.

And to add something relevant to the conversation: It's a good sized lake with some tough wind sometimes but the water is warm and I'm traveling light. I'll paddle my 17' Necky looksha IV and move pretty fast. I have a much bigger boat in the barn (Sealution XL II) which has a much wider beam and depth. (This might be a good boat for you Tom) It carries a ton of gear easily and is so stable I can go out on cold fall and spring waters without worrying about going in, pretty much regardless of weather. I don't use it much but its nice to have for late trips. Nothing like paddling in a snow storm.
Beebs is not a ragey man