NFL 2011

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

NFL 2011

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

What if the owners held a party and the players decided not to come? Apparently this is exactly what happened. The owners held a big presser in Atlanta yesterday to signify their ratifying the new CBA and but the players immediately balked saying that they hadn't been part of any negotiations for the supplemental revenue sharing agreement and that many of the terms in the new deal were new to them. More than half of the player reps claimed to have never seen any of it. Oops. I mean this whole thing has been nuts but now this? Get your shit together folks.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Re: NFL 2011

Post by Clams »

Will someone please send me a pm a couple of days before the regular season's gonna begin. Until then, I have no interest. This lockout/negotiation shit bores me to death.
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Will someone please send me a pm a couple of days before the regular season's gonna begin. Until then, I have no interest. This lockout/negotiation shit bores me to death.

X2
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

This way, the owners can say that the ball is in the players court and can make it look like they are in the right and it's the greedy players who are throwing away the season. The whole situation is an immense clusterfuck of the highest order. I do however always side with labor when it comes to these now all too common protracted disputes between millionaire players and billionaire owners. I mean, I don't turn on my TV so I can watch some guy who had the good sense to born extremely rick now do I? I turn it on so I can watch something that only a few hundred people In the world are caple of doing at that level. I think most people with a business degree and a modicum of intelligence could run a sports team. Most people who are relatively well coordinated and somewhat athletic could not however play sports at anywhere close to the pro level.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Bears are going 8-8 this year. They'll start out 1-4 with a win over the Panthers. Carry on.

On the plus side, I will be able to drink and watch every game in Chicago. I may even road trip on 11/7 to see the Bears beat some Eagles ass. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:Bears are going 8-8 this year. They'll start out 1-4 with a win over the Panthers. Carry on.

On the plus side, I will be able to drink and watch every game in Chicago. I may even road trip on 11/7 to see the Bears beat some Eagles ass. ;)

I think this year is completely unpredictable. Green Bay, Detroit & Minnesota are all over the salary cap and have to cut players while the Bears are $20-25 million under it. Ad that to the rash of injuries that is sure to occur and I think we're in for a wild ride. If the rumors are true and the Bears are really looking to sign Nnamdi Asomugha, who may be the best cornerback in the game, then it could get really interesting. I still want a couple more O linemen and a big receiver though. Bring on the season...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Favre to Philly to back up Mike Vick? Please for the love of God no. Do something about this will ya Clams?

the ugly rumor here

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Giants signed Mark Herzlich today. Score one for the good guys! :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

beantownbubba wrote:The Giants signed Mark Herzlich today. Score one for the good guys! :)

That's outstanding. Great story.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Ravens have cut 4 of my favs: Heap, Mason, McGahee & Kelly Gregg. Can't see Mason or Willis comin' back, but it would hurt me to see Todd Heap or Kelly Gregg in another uniform. I hope they come back on the cheap. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mason in NE (or w/Jets for that matter). Good guys could be setting up for a push on the Raiders CB whose name I can't say or S. Holmes (or both).
I'm a little disenchanted w/sports in general and football in particular; but this player movement talk is starting to get my juices flowing.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

Slipkid42 wrote:Ravens have cut 4 of my favs: Heap, Mason, McGahee & Kelly Gregg. Can't see Mason or Willis comin' back, but it would hurt me to see Todd Heap or Kelly Gregg in another uniform. I hope they come back on the cheap. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mason in NE (or w/Jets for that matter). Good guys could be setting up for a push on the Raiders CB whose name I can't say or S. Holmes (or both).
I'm a little disenchanted w/sports in general and football in particular; but this player movement talk is starting to get my juices flowing.

Wow! Pretty big cuts there....If you get the CB from the Raiders, your defense would be absolutely sick! My Steelers picked up Wes Saunders today, an UFA from my South Carolina Gamecocks...hope he makes the cut.
the price of bein' sober is bein' scared out of your mind....

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I'm not getting my hopes up for any of these key FAs (that way they won't get dashed). We'll see what happens.
I imagine the Steelers will be making similar painful roster moves. Good to have a rival on board to keep me honest.
If we ever want to get a home playoff game w/you guys, we'd better come out ready in Week 1.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

Steelers/Ravens= best rivalry going in the NFL, in my opinion. Always a physical contest, but still alot of respect between the two teams. I look forward to, and dread at the same time, these match-ups every year.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

As a Bengals fan, I must say that part of me is actually sad that there will be a football season this year.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

sg207 wrote:As a Bengals fan, I must say that part of me is actually sad that there will be a football season this year.

I think the Sports Bermuda Triangle extends from Cleveland to Chicago to Cincinnati. Detroit gets the suction of it too.

Hey at least you have Dusty Baker and the Redlegs. ;)

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Erdlivz wrote:
sg207 wrote:As a Bengals fan, I must say that part of me is actually sad that there will be a football season this year.

I think the Sports Bermuda Triangle extends from Cleveland to Chicago to Cincinnati. Detroit gets the suction of it too.

Hey at least you have Dusty Baker and the Redlegs. ;)

Thanks Erd, that really improves my day...

***Shoots self in head***
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

This is the best time of year to be a Lions fan. Everyone's healthy, every draft pick looks like a winner, every free agent pickup is on his way to the Pro Bowl or at the very least comeback player of the year. The blue Kool-Aid is flowing. :D
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:This is the best time of year to be a Lions fan. Everyone's healthy, every draft pick looks like a winner, every free agent pickup is on his way to the Pro Bowl or at the very least comeback player of the year. The blue Kool-Aid is flowing. :D

I don't know if this is the Lion's year or not, but at some point they will win the North and keep winning it for years. As a Bears fan they scare me far more long term than even Green Bay. They have been very quietly loading up on both sides of the ball.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:This is the best time of year to be a Lions fan. Everyone's healthy, every draft pick looks like a winner, every free agent pickup is on his way to the Pro Bowl or at the very least comeback player of the year. The blue Kool-Aid is flowing. :D

I don't know if this is the Lion's year or not, but at some point they will win the North and keep winning it for years. As a Bears fan they scare me far more long term than even Green Bay. They have been very quietly loading up on both sides of the ball.

I'm more optimistic than usual this year, but so much just depends on Stafford. Sky's the limit if he can find a way to stay healthy. Although part of me fears that they'll never get over the hump until they completely revamp their offensive line. It's been a weakness for years and they just keep trying to patch it together.

Man, it's good to have football back.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What the heck is going on in Foxboro? Once again Bill Belichek bets big and only time will tell. History says don't bet against him.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I share the same opinion. The Lions are close and could have a breakout year with the unpredictability ahead. I'm not looking forward to getting back 10+ years of shit talking from my friends in Michigan. It could get personal.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Bears have cut or traded all their tight ends and have, apparently, signed no one. Is this a strategy? I mean last I looked they needed at least to O linemen, at least one D lineman, at least one safety, at least one cornerback, two linebackers, a #1 wide receiver and a backup quarterback. Oh and now we need at least a couple tight ends. But what the hell, maybe doing nothing is the latest fad.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:What the heck is going on in Foxboro? Once again Bill Belichek bets big and only time will tell. History says don't bet against him.

Looks smart to me. Haynesworth for next to nothing seems brilliant. When right he's one of the best DT's, if not the best, in all of football. If anyone can make him right it's Belichek. Plus I don't see the downside of Ocho Cinco.

mwh

Post by mwh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Bears have cut or traded all their tight ends and have, apparently, signed no one. Is this a strategy? I mean last I looked they needed at least to O linemen, at least one D lineman, at least one safety, at least one cornerback, two linebackers, a #1 wide receiver and a backup quarterback. Oh and now we need at least a couple tight ends. But what the hell, maybe doing nothing is the latest fad.

Word today is that the Bears are going after Roy Williams.
Last edited by mwh on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

And Sam Hurd.

njMark

Post by njMark »

J E T S! It is really great, to me anyway to be excited 3 years in a row about my Jets prospects for a great season.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I definitely don't understand what the Bears are doing. I would've thought they'd prioritized O-Line, Secondary, WR, D-Line.

Roy Williams? I'm completely unsold on this guy. Martz is practically crippled with the offense already and Williams can't possibly replicate the numbers he had a few years back.

The Eagles have pretty much leap-frogged everyone in the NFC. Live it up Clams. Flyers, Phillies and Iggles. Jeez.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Erdlivz wrote:I definitely don't understand what the Bears are doing. I would've thought they'd prioritized O-Line, Secondary, WR, D-Line.

Roy Williams? I'm completely unsold on this guy. Martz is practically crippled with the offense already and Williams can't possibly replicate the numbers he had a few years back.

The Eagles have pretty much leap-frogged everyone in the NFC. Live it up Clams. Flyers, Phillies and Iggles. Jeez.

:)
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

Imagine how sick the Jets secondary would have been if they landed him? Those two, possibly three, Jets/Pats match-ups this year will still be epic, though.