Job change stress

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

emandrisdad

Job change stress

Post by emandrisdad »

Just venting here. I'm considering a job offer and its driving me nuts. Been in my current spot for 14 years now and I've got it running like a fine tuned machine. I'm sure I can do the same at the place that made me the offer. I know the new job will be a jolt but It can be a good thing but my head is killing me and its not making my decision any easier.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Job change stress

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hang in there man. As someone who is seriously considering a move in the not too distant future I can feel your pain. Weigh your options, think it through and make your move (or don't). I'm sure you'll make the call that's right for you. and feel free to vent anytime.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I wasn't even thinking about making a move. It wasn't a proactive stance on my part, they came to me. I think thats whats making it harder. If I was looking to go I think it would be easier. Maybe not though.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Why are you considering the new opportunity in the first place? What's the incentive?

Change can be really good but it has to be for the right reasons.
Not forever, just for now.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Change can be good but scary at the same time. I am about to make a major change in my life and as much as I am worried about the battle, the immediate future and the uncertainty of what life holds for me next, I am looking forward to a new beginning. It depends on what you are (or are not) looking for. Only your heart knows for sure what you want. Just take your time, weigh the pros and cons and then go for it. I hope it all works out great for you!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

'Scratch wrote:Why are you considering the new opportunity in the first place? What's the incentive?

Change can be really good but it has to be for the right reasons.

A big part of it is money. Now I know if its just money then it may not be worth it. To be quite frank, its not just a little more money. It's a substantial
bump up. I've got a kid starting college in a year and thats got to enter the equation. I"ll be making the same thing on a slightly different system so I'll have to learn some new equipment but that's got to help me in the long run.
Last edited by emandrisdad on Mon May 23, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Trust the opinions of those closest to you.

Follow your gut.

Good luck.
If you don't run you rust

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Clams wrote:Trust the opinions of those closest to you.

Follow your gut.

Good luck.

Thanks man. Springsteen is a sometime customer so maybe I'll get to meet him one day.

lynne

Post by lynne »

emandrisdad wrote:

Follow your gut.

Good luck.

Thanks man. Springsteen is a sometime customer so maybe I'll get to meet him one day.

Springsteen? It wouldnt even be a question for me. I would be on it in a heartbeat. And more money, okay - that would just be a side perk.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nobody but you knows what's important to you but from everything you're saying and not saying, it sounds like making the move is the right thing to do.

The thing that strikes me the most is that all you've said about your current job is that it's familiar and comfortable. Those aren't bad things and if they're what's most important to you, then that's what matters but what's coming thru is a choice between an ok but comfortably known job v. an unknown (and therefore inherently risky/scary) but fun, challenging and much higher paying job. That's just my impression of what you're saying, use it or don't.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

emandrisdad wrote:Just venting here. I'm considering a job offer and its driving me nuts. Been in my current spot for 14 years now and I've got it running like a fine tuned machine. I'm sure I can do the same at the place that made me the offer. I know the new job will be a jolt but It can be a good thing but my head is killing me and its not making my decision any easier.

make a list. write that shit down. Pros and cons. all of them, then rank them from most important to least important.

it will help clarify your thinking.

also tell them you want another $10k a year over what they've offered you, another week of holidays, and the donuts with icing. also a proper coffee machine. and hot and cold running secretaries.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Steve French wrote:
emandrisdad wrote:Just venting here. I'm considering a job offer and its driving me nuts. Been in my current spot for 14 years now and I've got it running like a fine tuned machine. I'm sure I can do the same at the place that made me the offer. I know the new job will be a jolt but It can be a good thing but my head is killing me and its not making my decision any easier.

make a list. write that shit down. Pros and cons. all of them, then rank them from most important to least important.

it will help clarify your thinking.

Steve offers good advice - by doing a T-chart it'll be easier to make a more objective decision. For the record, I've been a headhunter for the last 10 years and helping people make these kinds of decisions is my bread and butter. Money is important, but it can never be the only driver. There has to be more. Good motivators are things like: professional growth, new challenges, better work / life balance, better culture and people...things like that. Comfortable and familiar aren't bad per se, especially if you're truly happy in your role. But using them as an excuse to pass on something that will be better for your profession, and most importantly your family, isn't good.

There's an ancient Taoist saying that "all pain in the world comes from resistance to change" On the other hand, one of my old mentors used to say "if you're not hurtin', you're not learning."

So make some lists, understand the pros and cons, think hard about what's right for you and your family and make a decision from there. But have faith in yourself and don't be afraid of a little change if it will honestly lead to something better.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I do appreciate it.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Been in my current spot for 14 years now and I've got it running like a fine tuned machine. I'm sure I can do the same at the place that made me the offer.

I think you have it all answered right here.

It's tough making a change. It sounds like you've got things running perfect in your current situation. I personally would take the extra income offered along with the new challenge/opportunity.

In the end, follow your gut. It sounds like all the outside factors like money and so forth are covered. If it feels right, by all means do it.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Plus its gotta mean alot that they came looking for you.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Follow your gut.

Good luck.

Yep. Make a pro/con list too.

If it's not practical, it's not spiritual.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

never going back wrote:
If it's not practical, it's not spiritual.

Never heard that before. Interesting. I'll definitely give that some pondering time.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in. I decided to take the new job. I
Will be starting around Aug 1. That gives more than enough time for my bosses to hire a replacement. Hopefully they'll hire the guy I reccomended to them.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Woo hoo! Congrats Mike. Good luck with it!

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Very nice! Good luck with the future endeavor!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Alsum! Congrats & good luck! I hope that August 1 date includes some built in vacation time - in my experience between jobs vacations are the best - you have the most time (if u plan it right) and the least stress.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Right on! Congratulations!

Now you have to tell us, what exactly do you make that somebody like Springsteen would want?

Clams

Post by Clams »

'Scratch wrote:Right on! Congratulations!

Now you have to tell us, what exactly do you make that somebody like Springsteen would want?

BEER!!!

dude's a brewmaster

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

i can drink to that!

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Congrats man, I'm sure it's an exciting time!
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

You may indeed drink to that. Thanks

lynne

Post by lynne »

Congratulations on the new job. A new adventure is exciting!

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

YEA!!!! Here's to living, laughing and having the best of new adventures!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Clams

Post by Clams »

emandrisdad wrote:http://thepubscout.blogspot.com/2011/05/sella-to-leave-as-unos-brewer.html In case anyone's interested

Nice interview. But you didn't even mention 3dd. ;)