Mrs. W in IA

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Mrs. W in IA

Post by Clams »

No words, Gary. We love you, man.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Fuck, man. Sending lots of love to you and your family, Gary.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

We're sending our love yalls way.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Gary,

I got nothing except for love and mad respect for you, although I barely know you. You are an example to all of us. The power of love makes you the better man.

Peace

Tim
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gary, all I can say is that you are an inspiration even if you don't know it. The thing is though is that you're human and that's the beauty and the bitch of it. We all love you and are always with you.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Peace be with you during this season. You are a hero.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GW in IA wrote: I suppose now I give you some lesson, some light at the end at least a one line joke. I'm sorry, going to fail at that as well, and start all over tomorrow.
You ain't failed at shit, and I think you've taught us a lot.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sometimes life is just too damn hard.

The thing about heroes is that the same things that make them heroic often make them unaware of just how heroic, inspirational and admirable they are. That would be you, G.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

njMark

Post by njMark »

Gary, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said but just know you have all the love from all of us here in NJ.

MrsUncleFrank23

Post by MrsUncleFrank23 »

I have started to write and deleted it several times. I so wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I think you are an incredible husband and father. You are doing the very best that you can and I know that means you are putting 110% into everything you do. Hug those kids. Love you!
Ben is looking down with a smile!

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

I'm thinking about you today, Gary. I do most everyday, but you've really been on my mind on this dreary cold Sunday. I just wanted you to know that you're not all by yourself. Sending buckets of love from Indiana.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Things have been going pretty steadily downhill here recently, nothing drastic, but noticeable. For a long time, several yrs. I would judge things as slightly worse every couple of weeks, now I can see the progression, every other day, if not daily. I still have no idea what kind of timeline this puts us on, or even if she will level out again, just at some lower stage.
I did however take the noticeable changes as an opportunity to finally have the real down and dirty talk with my daughter, she's 12 now, and has been watching this for exactly 1/2 of her life. I know people have been telling me to do this from a long time back, but she seems to be handling life so well that I didn't want to rock her boat. Last week I lost a friend to cancer, after watching him battle for quite awhile. His last few days were in a Hospice facility, and like most of us, most of his friends are scattered across the country, so his wife and family did a good job of keeping the world up to date as to what was happening. Scott has/had a 12 year old boy. During the time that the immediate and extended family was huddled around in hospice, watching his father die, The son was out in the green space climbing trees, catching turtles, and doing a million other little kid things. The morning after Scott died. the kid was laughing and lighting fireworks out in the street. I realized then that the kids are much more resilient than I give them credit for.
I took her aside, and after several false starts, I managed "You know mom isn't getting better right?" head nod "You've noticed that she's getting worse lately right" head nod "I know you're not a dumb kid" slight smile and head nod "So you know what's coming?" head nod "So anytime you want to talk about anything..." (and so on) "So is there anything you want to ask?" a couple of seconds of silence, and then... "Do you remember the password I used for my school account? I can't get in."

BOOM! Three years of dreading a conversation that just almost didn't need to happen.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

GW in IA wrote:Things have been going pretty steadily downhill here recently, nothing drastic, but noticeable. For a long time, several yrs. I would judge things as slightly worse every couple of weeks, now I can see the progression, every other day, if not daily. I still have no idea what kind of timeline this puts us on, or even if she will level out again, just at some lower stage.
I did however take the noticeable changes as an opportunity to finally have the real down and dirty talk with my daughter, she's 12 now, and has been watching this for exactly 1/2 of her life. I know people have been telling me to do this from a long time back, but she seems to be handling life so well that I didn't want to rock her boat. Last week I lost a friend to cancer, after watching him battle for quite awhile. His last few days were in a Hospice facility, and like most of us, most of his friends are scattered across the country, so his wife and family did a good job of keeping the world up to date as to what was happening. Scott has/had a 12 year old boy. During the time that the immediate and extended family was huddled around in hospice, watching his father die, The son was out in the green space climbing trees, catching turtles, and doing a million other little kid things. The morning after Scott died. the kid was laughing and lighting fireworks out in the street. I realized then that the kids are much more resilient than I give them credit for.
I took her aside, and after several false starts, I managed "You know mom isn't getting better right?" head nod "You've noticed that she's getting worse lately right" head nod "I know you're not a dumb kid" slight smile and head nod "So you know what's coming?" head nod "So anytime you want to talk about anything..." (and so on) "So is there anything you want to ask?" a couple of seconds of silence, and then... "Do you remember the password I used for my school account? I can't get in."

BOOM! Three years of dreading a conversation that just almost didn't need to happen.
Somehow that's as uplifting as it is heart breaking.

Keep on, man. Keep on.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

GW in IA wrote:Things have been going pretty steadily downhill here recently, nothing drastic, but noticeable. For a long time, several yrs. I would judge things as slightly worse every couple of weeks, now I can see the progression, every other day, if not daily. I still have no idea what kind of timeline this puts us on, or even if she will level out again, just at some lower stage.

All you can do is what you can do. Bethany will appreciate all of it at some point in her life. You may never believe it but you're one hell of a dad and one of the best men I've known in my life. All the right answers will come when you need them to and I think you just saw that with your daughter.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Just need to say this somewhere. And FB just has too damn many eyes and ears.
Canceling a visit to an ALS family member because you want to wait until nicer weather is probably not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's pretty damn close...
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

How the fuck do you respond to that
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Unfortunately stupidity is never in short supply.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Jonicont wrote:How the fuck do you respond to that
Under your breath...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok, that's so many forms of bad I can't list them all. Sorry Gary.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I would be inclined to tell the offender to not bother.
Now it's dark.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Perhaps a polite email reply containing a link to this thread...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

GW in IA wrote:
Jonicont wrote:How the fuck do you respond to that
Under your breath...
"Bless your heart" doesn't really cover this, does it? I'm so sorry.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I almost feel guilty coming back here to post, its been so long since I even came around here.
Just for the few of you that don't get FB updates and the like. We're still here...
You decide for yourself if that's a positive or a negative.
We're crossing the line into 7 1/2 years pretty soon I guess. No idea where we were last time I posted, but to be blunt, Patty's body is basically a ragdoll at this point. She still has a very small amount of control holding up her head, but that's about it. We had a big battle with our Hospice provider a couple of months ago, got a new provider, and they seem to be doing ok for now.
the kids are pretty awesome. The girl who was 6 when mom got sick will be getting her drivers permit in the morning. (how's that for some perspective?)
The boy was 5 months old when mom got sick, he's starting 2nd grade Thursday.
The old man that was married to her when she got sick is still just an old man.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Great to hear from you, man--love and strength, brother.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

scotto wrote:Great to hear from you, man--love and strength, brother.
What scotto said.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

GW in IA wrote: still just an old man.
You may be old but you're a good one, GW.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Aging like fine wine
Always go to the show

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

stay strong. you're an inspiration.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Posting just to be counted among those who admire, love and support you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

GW in IA wrote: still just an old man.
Maybe so, but one of the finest I've ever known. Your strength, perseverance and love of your wife and family are beyond inspirational. You're my motherfuckin' hero, man. Seriously.