Mrs. W in IA

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

lynne

Re: Mrs. W in IA

Post by lynne »

It always helps to get your feelings out and not keep them bottled up. They will eat you alive if you dont. You are not whining - you are expressing care, concern, love, frustration, upset, worry, fear and whatever emotion you may feel at the time. You have EVERY right to feel this way and you have an incredible amount of support and love pouring out on this board. Please continue to post anything and everything you feel. Accept all the love, good wishes, prayers and support that are being sent your way. Sometimes the world, and life in general, is very unkind; but the feelings flowing from this board reassure me that there are so very many people, most strangers, who make this world a better place to be.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

beantownbubba wrote:
*But it is pretty funny to misspell grammar in the sentence about poor grammar and spelling :lol: :lol: :D

:oops:
:lol:
:oops:
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

The Drifter
Location: The Drifter holds on to his youth, just like it was money in the bank.

Post by The Drifter »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:GW, for what it's worth I have never for one minute thought you were coming across as whining. I can understand how it might feel that way to you but, trust me, it doesn't come off that way to us. You do what you need to do, rant, rave, ask for help or whatever it is you need to do. Every single one of us is behind you and wants to support you and your family. Do what you need to my friend.

GW - TC hits the nail on the head. To the contrary of what you may think, I think what you're sharing is very brave and takes strength. This can be an outlet for you. Lay it on us, Gary. As a family, we will keep you standing through all of this.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

The Drifter wrote: I think what you're sharing is very brave and takes strength.

Word.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

GW,

I had to miss the Preakness today to attend a family function w/the in-laws. The Preakness is one of the highlights of my social calendar. I've been kinda snivleypoo about it, since I first heard of this scheduling conflict several months ago. Well, I did the right thing; and actually had a good time seeing some folks I hadn't seen in a while. I was able to bet by phone & laptop (and even keep up on the odds). Unfortunately, I didn't have Shackleford (who I had covered pretty well 2 weeks ago in Kentucky). He came home a winner @ long odds (but that's another story).
When I got home I started thinking about the dilemma that you and your wife are dealing with. Missing a big race seemed pretty paltry compared to that. I also started thinking about longshots and just how often they do come home a winner. Anyway, I wrote this poem and I figure if you were so brave as to share your thoughts with us; then I will be brave enough to share my thoughts with you. I hope they will help some.

The Overwhelming Odds

It must feel like your whole world’s caving in
The future’s not so rosy
As it seemed just only yesterday
But even if your prospects are worn and paper thin
Please don’t buckle under and give your hope away

For as long as there’s a fire in your heart
And a little smile you manage
To wear upon your face
You will deal with the overwhelming odds
The spark that’s in your heart
Will be your saving grace

Suddenly, the news is bleak and grim
It’s cruel and far too random
And it makes it hard to cope
But even if your shining stars have all grown dim
A tiny light must burn that gives you hope

For as long as there’s a fire in your heart
And the will to keep on tryin’
Through whatever hell you cross
You will deal with the overwhelming odds
And flash your little smile
When every hope seems lost

for Mrs. W in IA
5-22-11
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Wow, Slip.

I saw this several hours ago, but didn't know how to respond.
Still don't.
It's strange to be the subject of strangers thoughts, and for you to want to write about my wife means its way more than just a passing thought.
Thank you seems inadequate, but its all I have right now.
Thank You.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Actually, it is my poem that seems inadequate, when viewed in the light of day. It is frail & awkwardly structured and doesn't quite offer the hope I was striving for. It came to me in a flurry. It seemed urgent that I pass it along. I was trying to explain that no matter how helpless you are in a given situation, try to hang on to the things you can control. Your hope, your humor & whatever resolve you can muster up; in the face of seemingly unbeatable odds. It falls a little short of that. I considered not posting it till after the 2nd opinion was given (I might've been able to tweak it a bit). I thought I might change my mind, though & it seemed like ya'll could use a pick-me-up right about now.
I know that we have never met, but I consider this board to be part of my extended circle of friends (although I don't even normally write about my non-cyber friend's problems). I was very touched by your heartfelt posts. People don't often bare their emotions for everyone to see. I am glad that you feel you can trust your 3DD brothers & sisters with this terrible news. I thought you were quite eloquent in telling about the diagnosis your wife received. I felt your despair & helplessness. I also felt your strength & humor. It is our goal here to help you feel less helpless in any way we can & give you the strength that you might have trouble finding otherwise. So thank you GW, for getting my head outta my own snivelly ass for a change.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Very nice poem. Very moving. We thought about Mr. & Mrs. GW throughout the weekend. Prayers and well wishes for the 31st.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Thinking about you guys, GW. xoxoxo
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

one belt loop wrote:Thinking about you guys, GW. xoxoxo

x2

Just checking in to let you know you're on my mind and in my heart.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

GW - I've been away from this board for a bit; and, I only just got this awful news this morning from TC who I oddly ran into on the train. So, from the standpoint of the cycle of shock, denial, anger (however it goes) - I'm still in the "shock" part of things. This is some damn unfair shit. I remember meeting both you and Patty a couple of years ago at the Glossary/Slobberbone show in Minn. I absolutely remember chatting with Patty that evening - and, heck - I think the two of you are about the nicest people anywhere. I'm so sorry. I'll help you and your family any way I can. Hang in there.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Hey all, just letting you know we're still hanging in. Patty went back to work yesterday, and that seems to be a good thing. Of course lots of well meaning yet slightly awkward looks and conversations with other teachers, and some parents of her students. (If only good news could travel this fast ;) ). But still good for her to have somthing to occupy her thoughts for a while. Thanks again for all the possitivity. Onward to MAYO, and better news next week.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Slip,

Great poem. You nailed it, my friend.

Let me know if you ever want to check out the races at Monmouth. We'll put you up at Rev Matt's rock and roll motel.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Good to hear that some normalcy has returned for you guys, GW. All my fingers & toes are crossed.

Rev,
It is not outta the question that I could sneak up there for the Haskell. Are your bands playing any gigs in August?

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

...and when she leaves I cry for all the laughs we'll miss if this all goes south.

Oh good heavens! This is heart wrenching.

I'm pretty late on this. I've been off in my own little busy lala land.

GW- I'm so sad to hear this news. I can't begin to fathom the roller coaster of emotions that you and Mrs. GW are going through right now. Know that you are in the prayers of many as you struggle through this with your best friend. I pray for healing for Patty and peace and comfort for you, Patty and your family.

Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. - 1 Chronicles 16:11
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Slipkid42 wrote:Good to hear that some normalcy has returned for you guys, GW. All my fingers & toes are crossed.

Rev,
It is not outta the question that I could sneak up there for the Haskell. Are your bands playing any gigs in August?

So far the 12th, 13th and 29th are booked for August.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Great poem there Slip. That's just some great stuff.

Glad the W's in IA are back in a routine. Thinking about you all.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

GW in IA wrote:Hey all, just letting you know we're still hanging in. Patty went back to work yesterday, and that seems to be a good thing. Of course lots of well meaning yet slightly awkward looks and conversations with other teachers, and some parents of her students. (If only good news could travel this fast ;) ). But still good for her to have somthing to occupy her thoughts for a while. Thanks again for all the possitivity. Onward to MAYO, and better news next week.

Im happy to hear that Patty is back at work and such....it does
help to keep your mind busy. Please let her know that the Swamps
are thinking of her ,,,,,>>>sending lots of love <3

I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

GW in IA wrote:Hey all, just letting you know we're still hanging in. Patty went back to work yesterday, and that seems to be a good thing. Of course lots of well meaning yet slightly awkward looks and conversations with other teachers, and some parents of her students. (If only good news could travel this fast ;) ). But still good for her to have somthing to occupy her thoughts for a while. Thanks again for all the possitivity. Onward to MAYO, and better news next week.

If your family wants to travel to the east coast this summer let me know. I am about half a mile from the beach. Get you guys some beach tags and you can enjoy Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Long Branch and Belmar -- where they film Jersey Shore.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Wow, thanks Matt. I have no idea what we might want to do this summer, guess we still need to get our bearings. I'll pass the offer along to the one in charge :)

njMark

Post by njMark »

I don't see it as whinning either, I don't know how I would handle something like this. I'm pretty sure I would not be holding it together as well as you are, I don't do well with adversity, or so I'm told. Keep on doing whatever you need to do to get through this with your family as best you can. I wish I had something profound to say to help but they all seem like cliches, just know that my family and I are pulling for you and yours.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I don't see it as whinning either, I don't know how I would handle something like this. I'm pretty sure I would not be holding it together as well as you are, I don't do well with adversity, or so I'm told. Keep on doing whatever you need to do to get through this with your family as best you can. I wish I had something profound to say to help but they all seem like cliches, just know that my family and I are pulling for you and yours.

The Drifter
Location: The Drifter holds on to his youth, just like it was money in the bank.

Post by The Drifter »

GW - Thinking of you and Patty today. I hope the second opinion brings better news tomorrow.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

The Drifter wrote:GW - Thinking of you and Patty today. I hope the second opinion brings better news tomorrow.

X2. Hope y'all are doing well. Wishing for the best.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Erdlivz wrote:
The Drifter wrote:GW - Thinking of you and Patty today. I hope the second opinion brings better news tomorrow.

Thanks guys! But just a heads up, We probably won't have any new news untill Thurs or Fri at best. They will be doing tests all week, and as of right now our last appointment is Fri. at 2 PM. Should know something by then.
By a great stroke of luck, my inlaws live about 45 Min. drive from the clinic, so no hotels, plus good food every night, and, built in babysitters!
They live in an old school that they have been renovating for the past 10 years or so, and our "guest room" is basicaly a suite, Kitchenette, bath, King bed, huge flat screen, and a fantastic river view. The walls are totally done up in old ceiling tin and wainscoting. It reminds me of the kind of place where old school millionaires would sit around smoking cigars, and adjusting their monacales... So at least we got that going for us ;)

lynne

Post by lynne »

GW in IA wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:

Thanks guys! But just a heads up, We probably won't have any new news untill Thurs or Fri at best. They will be doing tests all week, and as of right now our last appointment is Fri. at 2 PM. Should know something by then.
By a great stroke of luck, my inlaws live about 45 Min. drive from the clinic, so no hotels, plus good food every night, and, built in babysitters!
They live in an old school that they have been renovating for the past 10 years or so, and our "guest room" is basicaly a suite, Kitchenette, bath, King bed, huge flat screen, and a fantastic river view. The walls are totally done up in old ceiling tin and wainscoting. It reminds me of the kind of place where old school millionaires would sit around smoking cigars, and adjusting their monacales... So at least we got that going for us ;)

Good luck this week. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like the accomodations are going to be comfy and cozy, just what you all need.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Sending lots of love and light for the week ahead.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Sending lots of love and light for the week ahead.

x2
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

beantownbubba wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:Sending lots of love and light for the week ahead.

x2

X3
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Good luck this week! Glad to hear the accommodations will be great, that is good news.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood