Mrs. W in IA

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GW in IA

Mrs. W in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Couldn't bring myself to put this over in the NC, for one I really need the NC to stay vile, repulsive, smoke filled, and smelling of dead kittens right now. For another I really didn't want to risk this landing next to the firecracker ass guy ;)

I assume since you looked into this thread, your probably aware, in a vauge sense, that there have been some medical issues around here lately, and the wife and I have been doing a little traveling to find an answer. I've been a little freaked out, and used this place to vent a little. The plan was to find out that my wife had some strange vitamine deficiancy, or an injury that would require some minor surgery, then I'd come report back, and you could all, roll your eyes at your computer screens, call me a drama queen, and I'd apologise for making an undo stir. Afraid thats not our lot this time. Keeping in mind that a second opinion is in the works, (when you live this close to the Mayo Clinic you may as well use it). As of right now my wife has been diagnosed with first stage ALS (Lou Gehrigs). I never really gave ALS much thought before, and other than the liturature they gave us in Sioux Falls, and a few quick Google searches, I don't know a whole lot about it now, just that it looks to be a vile little fucker that attacks for no rhyme or reason. I'm not going to get out the booklet that came with her new meds, but I read through it yesterday, and was shocked at the lack of hope inside. actually said shit like: "plan that never taken trip to Paris while you are still mobile" and "Start a video for your children". Blew my mind that this is where our lives were at all of a sudden. Two weeks ago the biggest discussion aroun the house was what used car was she going to get. (Taurus wagon, by the way, good choice).

We are surprising our selves at how we're handling it. We're a stronger couple than even we thought. Of course its early on and we have a road ahead of us, but we both have humor, and at very least she has a well of strength that I kind of knew was there, but now that I've seen it work...

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this thread, it might turn into some weird diary, or it may just be my way of letting everybody know where we are at present, and saying a real "thank you" for all the possitive thoughts you have sent, and no doubt will be sending. This is a wonderful place and most of the best people I know are on this board (weather I've met you or not).

Now, I'm going to go. In between fits of anger and denile, I've got a lot of bargining to do, second opinion is coming up you know... Sorry. Little joke.

Take care, and love your people a little more today.
GW
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Sub

Re: Mrs. W in IA

Post by Sub »

I'm really sorry to hear that, just remember we are all here for you and continue to send out our positive vibes.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

GW... Really sorry to hear this news. We will keep you and Mrs. GW in our thoughts and prayers.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

with all my normal silliness aside...
i wish you and yours nothing but the very best.
sending light, strength and positive vibes from alabama.
we're all just humans being.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

What they've all said - keeping ya'll in my prayers/thoughts.

nothing is too much to bear
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

that sucks. Best wishes, really.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Terrible news. You have my thoughts, support and friendship.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

GW in IA wrote:The plan was to find out that my wife had some strange vitamine deficiancy, or an injury that would require some minor surgery, then I'd come report back, and you could all, roll your eyes at your computer screens, call me a drama queen, and I'd apologise for making an undo stir.

I was hoping for that too^^^^

Damn. That's just terrible, GW. A raw deal. Try to stay positive.... maybe the second opinion will work out in your favor. Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Hang in there.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Terrible news. That just sucks and I'm so sorry to hear it. In the short-term, here's hoping the second opinion brings better news. If not, I hope and trust you will find strength you didn't know you had and support from people you didn't know were there for you, whether that's family, friends, neighbors, larger community, 3DD, wherever. Wish I had something worthwhile to say...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

I'm so sorry to hear this, GW. Will be keeping you in our thoughts.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

One day at a time. I'll be pulling for you.
Not forever, just for now.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Sorry to hear about it, GW. We're all thinking of you.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Stay strong and positive.

Here's to a better second opinion.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

The Drifter
Location: The Drifter holds on to his youth, just like it was money in the bank.

Post by The Drifter »

GW - That's very disturbing news. Patty is a fantastic woman and if there's anybody who can handle this, it's her. We all love you and the Mrs. and will be here for you guys. Let me know if there's anything that I can do.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Always remember, "Livin' in fear's just another way of dying before your time"

Stay strong
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

I can't stop thinking about this (and I've never even met GW). :cry:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Shit, man, I'm really sorry to hear of this. My heart goes out to you and the mrs. I wish you and her the best of luck.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I'm grabbing Josh, TC and whomever else and we're having some fun in Iowa this summer! I loved meeting you and Patty in ATL at the 06 NYE shows. Y'all are the best folks around. I'm thinking the best for you guys and if you need a babysitter to get out this summer.......I NEED SOME EXTRA WORK. ;)

I've been compared to this guy:

Keep on smilin'. Y'all are always in our thoughts!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good luck and best wishes! It sounds like you already have as good of a handle and outlook on the situation as possible. It's a cliche, but it's a true one: attitude is everything.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Thanks alot guys!
Just got off the phone with Mayo, and her first check is on 5-31. Kind of a surprise, thought it would take longer to get into a clinic that good.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Good luck with that next appointment.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Well, I didn't check in to 3DD last night and my first thoughts as I was making coffee this morning were about y'all. Then, during our regular morning conversation, TC told me about the diagnosis. I've just been heart sick all morning. You are right about the literature - it is quite discouraging. I'm very, very hopeful about your trip to the Mayo Clinic, though. I did a little online digging this morning and they seem to be the best in the nation at working with ALS.

There are not adequate words to offer up to let you know how much you and your wife mean to us here at 3DD. When I try to find comforting words for you and your wife, they seem to sound like trite phrases and well-worn cliches. It looks like this disease is going to be a bitch - no bones about it. Y'all are in for a tough time. I promise that we will be here for you (as much as folks on the other end of a computer can), but I know you're going to need to have a support group of friends and family close by, too.

For those folks who are much closer to you geographically, please take them up on offers of babysitting, housecleaning and whatever else you need. Meanwhile, we will be here with love and virtual hugs and always open hearts and open ears - prayers from those so inclined and healing white light from those who lean the other way.

We love you Mr. & Mrs. W in IA.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I'm so sorry to hear this, GW. I just met you the one time, but I feel like I sort of know you through this forum. Please use us as any sort of strength/support that you need. We'll all be here for you in any way we can! Fingers crossed for a better second opinion!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's medical problem, GW. I hope like hell this 2nd opinion finds something less evil. Your post was very brave, and it made me reflect on the many things I take for granted. Stay strong, my friend. My thoughts are with you & your family.

p.s. It would be my honor to help you as much as I can, if medical bills become an issue.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Slipkid42 wrote:p.s. It would be my honor to help you as much as I can, if medical bills become an issue.

Wonderful, kind, and generous. But these offers should not be needed.
Thank you very much for the thought though.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

In a forum like this some folks remain very anonymous about the details of themselves and their families while other choose to share a bit more. I think we (3dd) are lucky to say that GW has graced us with enough pictures of beautiful kids and tales of family adventure to know that they are some pretty great people and for us to feel like we know them a bit. We've never met but I feel pretty confident that the W Clan are strong, resourceful folks with a hell of a lot of love for each other. I'm so honored and proud of this place that you'd choose to share news like this here with us. I know that you know that there is a whole community pulling for you guys. Don't afraid to lean on us when you need to.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Beebs wrote:In a forum like this some folks remain very anonymous about the details of themselves and their families while other choose to share a bit more. I think we (3dd) are lucky to say that GW has graced us with enough pictures of beautiful kids and tales of family adventure to know that they are some pretty great people and for us to feel like we know them a bit. We've never met but I feel pretty confident that the W Clan are strong, resourceful folks with a hell of a lot of love for each other. I'm so honored and proud of this place that you'd choose to share news like this here with us. I know that you know that there is a whole community pulling for you guys. Don't afraid to lean on us when you need to.

x2
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I'm sorry that words are so inadequate. Just know that your virtual friends are here, ready lend what strength we can. Whatever you need...that's what I'm trying to send your way.

Also, we'll be there with the monkeys and hammers when you need them most....
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:I'm sorry that words are so inadequate. Just know that your virtual friends are here, ready lend what strength we can. Whatever you need...that's what I'm trying to send your way.

And kittens, don't forget the kittens...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:
one belt loop wrote:I'm sorry that words are so inadequate. Just know that your virtual friends are here, ready lend what strength we can. Whatever you need...that's what I'm trying to send your way.

And kittens, don't forget the kittens...

i can't help you economically but i'll do my part (see above)
In my blood, there's gasoline..