Summer plans, what's cookin'?

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

'Scratch

Summer plans, what's cookin'?

Post by 'Scratch »

It's always interesting to hear what folks have planned for the summer. You know, stuff like projects, vacations etc.

I'll probably be working my arse off trying to take advantage of some new opportunities so nothing too exciting planned. Throw in the cost of gas, which means no major road trips. But I'll be happy if I can spend some time having picnic dinners with the family at our community pool. Maybe get a chance to do a little fishing. I'd also love to find a few people to drink whiskey and play guitar with.

As far as bigger trips I might be headed out to Milwaukee for a business meeting. With any luck I'll be able to time it during Summerfest. Then, sometime in August we'll decamp to a ramshackle cottage on the Mighty St. Lawrence and spend a week living like castaways.

What are you all doing?
Not forever, just for now.

scotto

Re: Summer plans, what's cookin'?

Post by scotto »

My wife is turning 40 in June; we're celebrating with a trip to Catalunya: Barcelona, up the coast to Girona and the northeast, a week in a cabin in the Pyrenees, and then back to Barcelona. (And then, unfortunately, home.)
This will be our first trip abroad in our 17 years together and we've been planning and saving for this for over a year.
Can't wait.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Scotto, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Please consume much great food and take pictures. Of everything. Including the food. And wine.
Not forever, just for now.

Roy

Post by Roy »

Heading to Duck Key, FL for a week in May to catch one of these:

Tarpon

scotto

Post by scotto »

'Scratch wrote:Scotto, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Please consume much great food and take pictures. Of everything. Including the food. And wine.

Will do. We've been practicing up on our drinkin' so we'll be ready.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

A week at the beach in Stone Harbor, NJ
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Cool thread. Will we have to write an essay about it in September?

May 7th - Will Johnson Living Room show in Little Rock, Arkansas
May 14th - Complete my first mini-sprint triathlon (swim 250m, bike 8 miles, run 2 miles)
May 20th - trip to Southern Illinois to see TC
June 4th - trip to the Shoals with OBL to see the mighty, mighty DEXATEENS
June 24th - Asheville - TC meets Moms for the first time, oh yeah, and I've heard that there might be some great music in town that weekend
July 4th - Watermelon Classic 5K - you get fresh watermelon at the finish line!
July 7th - Visit TC in IL for his 50th bday
August - open for now...start training for next half-marathon???
September - hope to have TC visit Mississippi for the first time!

Based on this, it seems that I spend the majority of my time exercising, hanging with TC, and listening to some damn fine music. I believe that is worthy of an "It's fuckin' great to be alive."
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

My little girl turns 1 towards the end of July. Have a lot of family in town for that. Also doing a week in Avon NC with some friends, nice house on the beach.

Scotto, we were in Spain for a week in 2008. Spent most of our time in Granada, but I am super jealous of your trip. We loved it. And the pork, man. Jamon, chorizio, other stuff I couldnt pronounce, I was eating plates of it at every meal. Went through withdrawl when we got back. One bar just had these huge legs of pigs just hanging from the ceiling. Damn that shit was good. Starting to get a chubby thinking about it....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The theme for this summer is going to be "friends w/ vacation homes."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

June-August multiple RedSox Games!!! What can I say my mid-life crisis is turning me into a sports fan :lol: (still trying to figure out the hockey love I am having)
June 4 DBT shows
June 19-Papa Eagles 75th birthday and Father's day!!! Deep Sea Fishing Saturday and a nice Seafood dinner up in Essex county,after the Polo matches,to celebrate
August-trip down to Athens to visit friends and do some serious antiquing (possibly some new ink !!!)
Registering for school in August, just torn between Civil Litigation and Calculus hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tough decision there
September/harvest time:canning tomatoes, putting up sauce & stewed tom for Papa Eale, drying parsley, basil etc....for the winter love those weekends

and possibly golfing over the summer but we shall see on that one
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:A week at the beach in Stone Harbor, NJ
Nice. Spent a lot of time in Stone Harbor in the 90's. It might be the nicest of all the Jersey shore towns. Family oriented, quiet, clean. 96th Street is packed every night - ice cream shops, surf shops, great restaurants, a couple of good bars (Fred's!!), a movie theater, etc. One bit of advice - when it comes time to take the kids to the boardwalk for rides and stuff, head north to Ocean City instead of south to Wildwood (trust me on that).

scotto wrote:My wife is turning 40 in June; we're celebrating with a trip to Catalunya: Barcelona, up the coast to Girona and the northeast, a week in a cabin in the Pyrenees, and then back to Barcelona. (And then, unfortunately, home.)
This will be our first trip abroad in our 17 years together and we've been planning and saving for this for over a year.
Can't wait.
Wow. Scotto, I'm turning 45 in June. Will you take me on a trip like that???

'Scratch wrote:I'd also love to find a few people to drink whiskey and play guitar with.
What he said ^^^

For us, this will be the first time in about 8 years that we won't be using my awesome aunt's South Carolina beach house. Instead we're heading out west. Gonna take a few of weeks in August and see Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NP's, then head up to Calgary and Banff, then over to Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle. Some hotels and some tent camping. Can't wait! Already made some of the reservations but there's still a lot of blanks to fill in. Would love to hear advice for cool things to see and do in any of those places.
If you don't run you rust

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

'Scratch wrote:I'd also love to find a few people to drink whiskey and play guitar with.
What he said ^^^

For us, this will be the first time in about 8 years that we won't be using my awesome aunt's South Carolina beach house. Instead we're heading out west. Gonna take a few of weeks in August and see Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NP's, then head up to Calgary and Banff, then over to Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle. Some hotels and some tent camping. Can't wait! Already made some of the reservations but there's still a lot of blanks to fill in. Would love to hear advice for cool things to see and do in any of those places.

Black Foothills MT
Space Needle Seattle
Cascade Mtns Washington State great camping and fishing, had a blast when I was a kid, not sure if you are into hunting or even if it will be hunting season when you are there, but some serious deer and Elk hunting in the area.
If you head up to Mt Reineer or Mt Washington, both have incredible dinners, on the road to the top, with the best local fruit pies ever!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

More than likely, not a fuckin' thing. I lost my job in Nov and just landed a contract gig earlier this month. It pays hourly, so I need to keep my foot to the floor and make up for lost wages. As bitter as I may sound, I'm really not. Very happy to be back in the game. Going to see Isbell in early June and Slobberbone later that month. Hoping the rawk show gods smile on me and schedule a DBT show in Dallas on a friday night and austin/tulsa/okcity the next day.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

My big plan this summer is to go to a SF Giants, once a month, for the entire season.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Sub

Post by Sub »

I'm really hoping to catch Isbell mid June since I missed the DBT show, but it's still up in the air at the moment.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Congrats, FNW!! Glad to hear it. :)

Clams, we did Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria w/ the kids when they were about the same ages as yours are now. Great trip and I'm sure you'll love it. The famous Gardens on Victoria are of course a must - truly spectacular, but we all enjoyed the island as a whole much more than we expected to. If u have a choice, err on the side of an extra night/day there, espy if u can find a nice b&b. Vancouver is a great city. I especially remember the big public park (their version of Central Park) which had a lot of kid activities and the old or gaslight part of downtown, forget what it's called.

About halfway between Vancouver and Seattle and right off the main road between them are 2 well known touristy towns, the names of which i forget but they're in all the guidebooks (if u can't find 'em let me know and i'll figure it out). Despite the "touristy" tag, I remember them as being well worth the stop. Very picturesque and different than the east coast equivalents.

Seattle's another cool city but as i recall, not worth an extended stay. I especially remember the Science Museum beating the east coast versions (including the very good one in Boston) all to hell. All members of our & the other family we were traveling w/ had a blast. The downtown fish pier thingy is, i guess, a must visit, but unlike the 2 towns mentioned above, it's touristy in the typical & boring sense and much the same as what you'd find in most east coast cities. The Space Needle's another tourist must do, but a pretty good version of the type. If u haven't had too much of the outdoors by the time u get there, fairly close to Seattle is what i believe is the only rain forest in the continental US and not too far in the other direction is Mt. Ranier. If the schedule works out, I would try to catch a Mariners game, but i don't know if your family's as into the whole baseball/ballpark thing as mine is. When we were there, the Hendrix museum was still in the talking stages, but i think it exists now. Don't know anything about the specifics, though. I sort of remember the U Washington campus as a nice visit, but don't recall it all that well.

I don't remember any specific restaurant as a singular stand out, but the food in all locations was really excellent. We ate really well at all price points from cheap lunches on the go to fancy-ish restaurants.

Edit: Doing something on the water is a natural all along the coast there, including Seattle. We went to a wedding on Bainbridge Island, so that worked for us, but a ferry to any of the close islands makes a great day trip or, if it's your kind of thing, renting a boat for a day on the Sound would be a fun time.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

This is the view off my front deck...
I'm staying home as much as possible. :mrgreen:

Hopefully one or two rockshows thrown in for good measure.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Oh no you didn't.

This is going to be the first summer since the mid-90s that I won't be owned by the golf industry. I haven't enjoyed a summer in years.

1. Spending full days in Wrigleyville, the Bleachers at Wrigley and the North Side for that matter.
2. Mooching weekend trips off my friends that have boats and property at Lake Geneva and other areas in 'Sconsin.
3. Lollapalooza and other festivals. I have never been to a festival. Owned by my job in the summer. No more of that sacrificing.
4. Mowing my new roommates lawn because its part of the deal. Shit, I'd do it anyways.
5. I may have to roadtrip to GWs pad by the looks of that pic. I'm also within distance of you TC. I'm invading the north folks. Ya'll are gonna be whomping me in the head a lot.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I'm mostly on the fambly plan this summer. I've got the little one, so we're not as mobile. There's a wife's friend's wedding in Chicago in June. I've got my little brothers' triplets' birthday party outside of Philly in June. My Dad's 60th in Central Pa. the beginning of July. And hopefully a week in a cabin in the Catskills in August.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

LURLEEN! DEXATEENS! NEW ORLEANS!

hells yeah
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

(Hoping; depends on how a few things work out...)

Dexateens in June
Gonna try and spend a couple days in Dauphin Island...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams,

I know all about Ocean City vs Wildwood. We're staying at a family friend's beach house (for free!) and have been to Stone Harbor several times over the years. It will be my wife's first time, though.

Other summer events:

Great slate of concerts here in Columbus
My best friend is finally getting married in July (with a bachelor party in Vegas in June)
Hoping for a four day weekend in Chicago
Columbus Clippers games
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

GW in IA wrote:Image
This is the view off my front deck...
I'm staying home as much as possible. :mrgreen:

Hopefully one or two rockshows thrown in for good measure.

Nibblin' on sponge cake
Watchin' the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil
Strummin' my six-string
On my front porch swing
Smell those shrimp; they're beginning to boil.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlysnaps wrote:I'm mostly on the fambly plan this summer. I've got the little one, so we're not as mobile. There's a wife's friend's wedding in Chicago in June. I've got my little brothers' triplets' birthday party outside of Philly in June. My Dad's 60th in Central Pa. the beginning of July. And hopefully a week in a cabin in the Catskills in August.

My father's 90th is in June :shock: (party planned for May)

Where in the Catskills? (My old stomping grounds). Yeah, yeah, i know, emphasis on "old".

FWIW, pearly, my perspective is that you're a lot MORE mobile now than you'll be in 2 or 4 or 6 years. Kid can still be dragged wherever u want to go. Yeah, u have to pack a bunch of extra shit, but it's still do-able. That won't be nearly as convenient/possible soon. Even more important, take vacations counter to the school vacation schedule while u still can!!! It'll save you wads of cash and be unbelievably more enjoyable.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Erdlivz wrote:Oh no you didn't.

This is going to be the first summer since the mid-90s that I won't be owned by the golf industry. I haven't enjoyed a summer in years.

1. Spending full days in Wrigleyville, the Bleachers at Wrigley and the North Side for that matter.
2. Mooching weekend trips off my friends that have boats and property at Lake Geneva and other areas in 'Sconsin.
3. Lollapalooza and other festivals. I have never been to a festival. Owned by my job in the summer. No more of that sacrificing.
4. Mowing my new roommates lawn because its part of the deal. Shit, I'd do it anyways.
5. I may have to roadtrip to GWs pad by the looks of that pic. I'm also within distance of you TC. I'm invading the north folks. Ya'll are gonna be whomping me in the head a lot.

If we get a First Ave. show(Minneapolis) this summer your expected/required to come through here for a day or two on your way there or back.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

mwh

Post by mwh »

I'm taking my little one to Disney World this summer :o

I'm also considering taking up to 3 classes this summer if I can work them in.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

beantownbubba wrote:
pearlysnaps wrote:I'm mostly on the fambly plan this summer. I've got the little one, so we're not as mobile. There's a wife's friend's wedding in Chicago in June. I've got my little brothers' triplets' birthday party outside of Philly in June. My Dad's 60th in Central Pa. the beginning of July. And hopefully a week in a cabin in the Catskills in August.

Where in the Catskills? (My old stomping grounds). Yeah, yeah, i know, emphasis on "old".

FWIW, pearly, my perspective is that you're a lot MORE mobile now than you'll be in 2 or 4 or 6 years. Kid can still be dragged wherever u want to go. Yeah, u have to pack a bunch of extra shit, but it's still do-able. That won't be nearly as convenient/possible soon. Even more important, take vacations counter to the school vacation schedule while u still can!!! It'll save you wads of cash and be unbelievably more enjoyable.

Hey BTB, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure where in the Catskills yet. I really like the Phoenecia area near Woodstock, but am flexible. The mrs. likes being on lakes or ponds. We'll probably just scour vrbo (great site) to see what's available and also accepts pets (gotta bring the pooch along too).

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

bovine knievel wrote:My big plan this summer is to go to a SF Giants, once a month, for the entire season.

What way do you drive to the games? If you pass by my neck neck of the woods, I might want to tag along sometime.
Keep calm and have a cigar

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

We don't have a lot of plans etched in stone yet other than in may, we're heading to gulf shores for the hangout fest, bingham at the 40 watt, and in june, athfest. As always, we'll be spending as much time on the springer as possible! The cost of gas is gonna suck this summer but we have a little bit of paradise in our back yard aka a pool so we'll be rockin out back a lot!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:LURLEEN! DEXATEENS! NEW ORLEANS!

hells yeah

what about asheville :-( ....hmmmpf

(kidding kidding)
In my blood, there's gasoline..