NCAA FB 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Fool No Where

Re: NCAA FB 2010

Post by Fool No Where »

Having a broken heart wears you out.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

"It's the same situation as if I was betting an Auburn person to get a tattoo. But instead of regular tattoos, we get temporary tattoos."

Yes, exactly the same.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Seems like he didn't specify male or female, ummmm, wagering partner.

I've never been to Vegas but if there aren't easier ways to get laid there, it sure as heck doesn't deserve its reputation.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i've been hard on miles over the years. he earned alot of that with his total bafoonary. his x's and o's on gameday are lacking. he can't read a clock. etc.

but.

he runs a clean program. he gets high marks for grad rates and academic culture on the team. he recruits like a mad man. he hires good people. for the most part, our players stay out of trouble. the kids love him. they play their asses off for him. he is a total whack job for an interview....all good shit.

and he's won a shit ton of games. in a very tough league. against very, very good coaches.

i think the crazy bastard has won me over.

now i'm nervous that i am gonna get what i wished for and he goes to michigan.

wtf?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

goex Tigers!!!!
every things bigger in Texas........yeah right :P
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Watching this makes me want to run gassers.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFShldcs ... re=related

Oregon vs. Auburn - hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO1EoZF8 ... re=related

Let's get pumped up, folks! Should be a great one.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

So my flight for work today got cancelled and it got me thinking. How many AU people flying out of Atlanta or Bham were flying out yesterday or today and got screwed by the weather. I know there were people all over CL this week offering 1500 to 2K cash for tickets (not sellers, buyers) and now some of those people have to be sitting at home grounded and looking at those tickets......brutal.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

For all you gamblers: When this game went on the board was back in November it was Oregon -5. Now it's five hours and change before kickoff and the Ducks are two and a half point dogs. The public money is all over Auburn here. Take the points and you'll be listed among the survivors tonight.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

WAR EAGLE!

Should be an interesting game.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fun game!

Ace reporter Brent M: "Something happened."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Congrats to Auburn.

I assume Oregon fans will grumble about "that play" (the pseudo run) but the Ducks were outplayed and it looked like Auburn would have been able to kick a 35 or 40 yard field goal anyway.

I admit that i don't watch a whole lot of college football from beginning to end, but that had to be the worst announced game ever. From the mistaken calls to the missed calls to missing key moments (TWO decisions to go for it on 4th and goal relatively early in the game and they said nothing about it 'til well after, they missed Auburn's incredibly excellent performance on 3d downs til less than 7 minutes left in the game, and many others), to bad camera work, the presentation was minor league. The only plus was that they eventually found a telling camera angle for pretty much all the key calls.

And there needs to be a new rule: You wear socks like Oregon's, u get penalized 5 yards per possession. Damn! What's uglier than ugly?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Congrats to Auburn for buying a QB. What a joke.

I know there's a bunch of SEC fans in here, but good God I'm tired of that conference. Fairley tackles LaMichael James by the head, and NO ONE, not even the refs or the ESPN crew notices. Yeah, that's legal. Just like Matthew's excessive celebration penalty. What a bunch of shit. We all know college football is corrupt as hell, and off the field that doesn't bother me. When it directly affects what happens on the field, then I get pissed. I'm fucking sick of the SEC and can't wait for the cycles of college football to shift.

Well, that's all folks. Looking forward to starting up the NCAA FB 2011 thread. As much as outcomes like tonight piss me off, I'll be wound up by July.

Just wonder when, if ever, karma comes down for guys like Chizik and Newton.
Last edited by Iowan on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Congrats to Auburn.

I assume Oregon fans will grumble about "that play" (the pseudo run) but the Ducks were outplayed and it looked like Auburn would have been able to kick a 35 or 40 yard field goal anyway.

I admit that i don't watch a whole lot of college football from beginning to end, but that had to be the worst announced game ever. From the mistaken calls to the missed calls to missing key moments (TWO decisions to go for it on 4th and goal relatively early in the game and they said nothing about it 'til well after, they missed Auburn's incredibly excellent performance on 3d downs til less than 7 minutes left in the game, and many others), to bad camera work, the presentation was minor league. The only plus was that they eventually found a telling camera angle for pretty much all the key calls.

And there needs to be a new rule: You wear socks like Oregon's, u get penalized 5 yards per possession. Damn! What's uglier than ugly?

They also missed Fairley tackling people by the head. And an obvious INT by the Ducks the play before Auburn's first TD. And decided that Matthews pounding his chest was worthy of a 15 yard flag.

But hey, gotta keep the SEC (and ESPN) on top.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'd never want to be caught backing the NCAA in anything they said or did, but one has to assume they looked pretty hard for any evidence that Auburn bought/paid Newton, so my guess is that they didn't. All they did was allow another presumably unprepared and unqualified quote unquote student athlete to occupy some space in the occasional classroom to maintain his eligibility. As far as i know that's business as usual at every school in D 1.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Iowan wrote:Congrats to Auburn for buying a QB. What a joke.

Quoted for truth. But don't group my team in with those assholes.

Oh yeah, Musburger is a moron.

Congrats to the NCAA!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:I'd never want to be caught backing the NCAA in anything they said or did, but one has to assume they looked pretty hard for any evidence that Auburn bought/paid Newton, so my guess is that they didn't. All they did was allow another presumably unprepared and unqualified quote unquote student athlete to occupy some space in the occasional classroom to maintain his eligibility. As far as i know that's business as usual at every school in D 1.

They said it was cool because Newton's father, and not Newton got paid. Meanwhile, an Iowa State basketball player was ruled ineligible for an entire season one time because his high school teammate (not actually he himself) in the German version of AAU took $15 from some guy, this making the entire team professional in the eyes of the NCAA, and he ineligible. Under the NCAA's ruling in that case, this whole Auburn team should have sat. But then they would have had TCU in the title game, and that won't be kosher until they officially join the Big East. I guess at the end of the day, if I'm going to accept the corruption and BS in one aspect of college football, I have to accept it across the board. The SEC will have to get fisted on the field (like to the point where the refs can't keep the game in check) before the balance of power shifts again. It's just a matter of "when".

The NCAA just decides to fuck one program or let one off the hook based on how much money they can make at that time.

If Newton has his Heisman and Auburn has this trophy in 5 years, I'll eat my own shit. This will turn out like Reggie Bush and USC.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

WoodDuck wrote:
Iowan wrote:Congrats to Auburn for buying a QB. What a joke.

Quoted for truth. But don't group my team in with those assholes.

Oh yeah, Musburger is a moron.

Congrats to the NCAA!

It's nothing personal with the SEC, it's more about how they're propped up by ESPN and the NCAA. The balance of power will shift, and then they'll get the shaft for some time, and I'll eventually empathize with them (see: me lustily rooting for Florida to slaughter Ohio State in 2006), but for now I'm tired of it.

Can't wait for the Auburn fans to defend Newton and company, but you know it was a victory bought and paid for. Admit it, celebrate, and don't cry no tears when they take that trophy in 4 years.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Iowan wrote:Can't wait for the Auburn fans to defend Newton and company, but you know it was a victory bought and paid for. Admit it, celebrate, and don't cry no tears when they take that trophy in 4 years.

I'm sure they're used to it by now:

1957 - "National Champions" were on probation for paying recruits. Got another three years probation the next season to go along with their title.
1993 - Undefeated team on probation for funneling large amounts of money from boosters to recruits.
2004 - Undefeated team on two years NCAA probation. Put on 5 years probation after the season.
2010 - "National Champions" under investigation for.. well, you know.

Throw in the two year postseason/tv ban from the late 70's for good measure.

Funny how that 5 years probation ended in 2009 and all of a sudden they bought a QB and win the title.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As a naive city bumpkin w/ no particular allegiance to big time college football, I'm pretty surprised by this discussion.

You'll never get an argument from me about NCAA hypocrisy, stupidity or venality. A bunch of dead old white men in bad sport jackets protecting a feudal cash cow. But why you think any one program is cleaner (or dirtier) than any other is beyond me. Cheating is institutionalized and inevitable under the current system, so cheating happens. And it happens everywhere. The only difference is the sophistication of the methodology and which ones happen to get caught at any particular time. Whether it's no show jobs, cheating on tests, actual cash payments, etc etc etc, I can't take very seriously the argument that Auburn is worse than any other football factory.

And Reggie Bush should never have returned the Heisman, so you may want to get that salt and pepper ready, Iowan. If the guy managed to keep a straight face through this fall's pretty intense investigation, do you think he'll be bothered by a little thing like "pressure" to return the award, which he'll have no legal obligation to do?

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

beantownbubba wrote: But why you think any one program is cleaner (or dirtier) than any other is beyond me. Cheating is institutionalized and inevitable under the current system, so cheating happens. And it happens everywhere. The only difference is the sophistication of the methodology and which ones happen to get caught at any particular time. Whether it's no show jobs, cheating on tests, actual cash payments, etc etc etc, I can't take very seriously the argument that Auburn is worse than any other football factory.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

The corrupt NCAA/overrated SEC conference complaining is so played out anyway. Even if the SEC hadn't won the last five national titles, the SEC haters would find something else to complain about.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The SEC cheats at a completely different level than any other conference. It's not even close. Half of the coaches are absolute slime balls and the way these donors throw money at programs w/impunity is on a whole different level.

Yes, cheating happens everywhere but it's on a whole different level in the SEC. Cheating is an institution, and it's accepted more than it is elsewhere. That's what happens when college football is that societally important. In the rest of the country (with a few exceptions) it's a game. Something people get passionate about, argue about, but at the end of the day have fun with. I have friends who've spent a lot of time in SEC country and football is not a game, period. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's a difference and it's real.

And Reggie Bush should never have returned the Heisman, so you may want to get that salt and pepper ready, Iowan. If the guy managed to keep a straight face through this fall's pretty intense investigation, do you think he'll be bothered by a little thing like "pressure" to return the award, which he'll have no legal obligation to do?

He might have his trophy, but he won't be listed amongst the award's recipients.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

As one of my buddies perfectly put it surrounding last night's game:

"This is the equivalent of Team Iceland winning the Junior Goodwill Games in 'D2' or Ivan Drago beating Rocky"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:As one of my buddies perfectly put it surrounding last night's game:

"This is the equivalent of Team Iceland winning the Junior Goodwill Games in 'D2' or Ivan Drago beating Rocky"

So Oregon = Rocky? :shock:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:As one of my buddies perfectly put it surrounding last night's game:

So Oregon = Rocky? :shock:

Well, more so the Pac-10. To someone who cheers for a major conference program outside the SEC, the SEC is this giant controlling everything, and any team from another conference taking them on the National title is Rocky. If it's Oklahoma v. the SEC champ next year, you can bet your ass OU is Rocky. Or if it's Ohio State. Or if it's Oregon again. Until the giant is toppled, it's a Rocky v. Apollo Creed match-up.

And someone will topple Apollo Creed. And that person will be powerful, and everyone will get sick of them until they get toppled. The nature of the beast.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Do you REALLY want to say that schools like Ohio State and Oklahoma are "rocky's"? <shakes head, walks away slowly, mumbling to self about the totally distorted nature of college football>

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Do you REALLY want to say that schools like Ohio State and Oklahoma are "rocky's"? <shakes head, walks away slowly, mumbling to self about the totally distorted nature of college football>

In a vaccum? Fuck no. In the context of that one-off game? There's an argument.

It's not a set situation, though. When Florida went up against Ohio State a few years back, they were definitely the Rocky to OSU's Apollo.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

aubbies played like thugs all season. they beat our ass, but they got no class.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dime in the gutter wrote:aubbies played like thugs all season. they beat our ass, but they got no class.

What's going on w/Les? He staying or leaving?