NCAA FB 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: NCAA FB 2010

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:If this is true (and I think it is), it's hard to blame the Newtons for taking the $.

Why do you say that?

Because they're dirt fucking poor.

I'm not saying that Auburn and Newton should get away scott free (they shouldn't especially that weasel in charge) if they're found "guilty" of these accusations. I'm saying I can see how someone who is flat broke and in desperate need of money isn't going to turn down $200K ya know?

"I ain't gettin' rich now, but I'm more than getting by. Kind of hard to make a livin' but a man's just gotta try"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:If this is true (and I think it is), it's hard to blame the Newtons for taking the $.

Why do you say that?

I'm not saying that Auburn and Newton should get away scott free (they shouldn't especially that weasel in charge) if they're found "guilty" of these accusations. I'm saying I can see how someone who is flat broke and in desperate need of money isn't going to turn down $200K ya know?

"I ain't gettin' rich now, but I'm more than getting by. Kind of hard to make a livin' but a man's just gotta try"

Agreed. I have no issue with Newton or his family. My issue is with system that makes money hand over fist and forces kids like this to break the rules.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Agreed. I have no issue with Newton or his family. My issue is with system that makes money hand over fist and forces kids like this to break the rules.

Let's not forget, it's not just the kids who break the rules. It takes 2 (or more) to tango.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:

Why do you say that?

Touche. Extra points for working a DBT lyric into your response.

Like I said, I'm not looking to open a can o' worms. I'm just sayin' that there's a system in place and they should abide by it.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:

Touche. Extra points for working a DBT lyric into your response.

Like I said, I'm not looking to open a can o' worms. I'm just sayin' that there's a system in place and they should abide by it.

I agree completely. I have no problem with sanctions being handed out and people paying the consequences for violating the rules. I'm just not going to vilify someone for looking to improve their situation, especially in such a relatively victimless setting.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5792707

A former Mississippi State player who worked with agents says Cecil Newton told him it would take anywhere from $100,000 to $180,000 for his son, Cam Newton, to sign a scholarship with Mississippi State.

Kenny Rogers told ESPN radio 103.3 in Dallas on Thursday that when he and Cecil Newton met with two MSU coaches at a hotel in Starkville, Miss., last Nov. 27, one of the coaches said "No, no I don't want to hear that," when Cecil Newton asked about the payment for Cam Newton to attend Mississippi State.

Rogers was asked if Cecil Newton told him how much money it would take to get his son to play for Mississippi State. "Yes, he did," Rogers said.

Asked how much, Rogers said the price would be: "Anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000."

Kenny Rogers tells ESPN 103.3 FM's Ian Fitzsimmons that Cam Newton's father asked for between $100,000 and $180,000 from Mississippi State to have Newton play there.

Cam Newton eventually signed with Auburn, where the school says the quarterback is eligible to play. Newton is a leading Heisman Trophy contender and has the unbeaten Tigers in the hunt for the national championship. He's expected to play Saturday against rival Georgia.

Later in the interview, Rogers said he and Cecil Newton first talked after Cam Newton left the Florida Gators following the 2008 season. In the course of their conversations, he said Cecil Newton told him, "It's not gonna be free this time."

Rogers said he was involved with Cecil Newton only in regards to Mississippi State.

Rogers said that on Nov. 28, 2009, he and Cecil Newton followed each other out of Starkville, Miss., after the Ole Miss-Mississippi State game. He said Newton asked him: "What do you think is going to happen? You think it's going to go through?"

Rogers said he was referred to a Mississippi State booster named Bill Bell. Rogers said he left Bell a message telling him he was with Cecil Newton, who wanted to know if the deal was going to happen.

Bell, when contacted Thursday night by ESPN.com, confirmed Cecil Newton did ask for money in exchange for Cam Newton signing with Mississippi State. Bell said he was contacted by the NCAA about the matter and spoke to an investigator earlier this week.

"That's all I want to say about it at this point," Bell said.

Bell, a Florida resident, was an offensive lineman at Mississippi State in the early 1980s and played with Rogers.

Rogers said he didn't know if Cam Newton knew about the request for money. He said he did not meet Cam Newton until Nov. 27, 2009.

Rogers said he didn't know anything about Newton's recruitment at Auburn or any other school. He said he had "no idea" why Newton chose Auburn or if Auburn paid Newton.

While Rogers spoke, his attorney also was on the phone. The attorney, Doug Zeit, said there was never any discussion about Rogers getting paid out of the money Cecil Newton was requesting.

Mississippi State officials declined comment on Rogers' interview Thursday.

A person who answered the telephone at Cecil Newton's home in Atlanta said he wasn't there.

Auburn declined comment through spokesman Kirk Sampson. The SEC also declined comment.

In an e-mail to ESPN.com, an NCAA spokeswoman said: "The solicitation of cash or benefits by a prospective student-athlete or another individual on his or her behalf is not allowed under NCAA rules."

Rogers worked for Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross. The NFL Players Association said last week it had filed a disciplinary complaint against Greengross for "violating numerous provisions of the NFLPA's agent regulations while recruiting and representing players." The complaint also targets the actions of Rogers, whom it identifies as a recruiter for Greengross.

In another e-mail, a spokesman said: "Generally speaking, if a third party is marketing a student-athlete, there could be potential agent violations. Under NCAA rules, it doesn't matter what you call yourself or how you are compensated, the actions are what triggers agent violation rules."

The NCAA spokeswoman said: "The decision to rule a student-athlete ineligible is made by the university, not the NCAA. We do not suspend student-athletes. It is a school action. The university can then seek reinstatement on behalf of the student-athlete and reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA."

John Bond, a former Mississippi State quarterback and teammate of Rogers who told ESPN.com last week that a man seeking money to sign Cam Newton had approached him, told ESPN.com on Thursday: "My story hasn't changed. I absolutely talked with Kenny Rogers, and there are phone records that will show that."

Rogers said in an interview last Friday with ESPN radio in Dallas he hadn't talked to Bond in more than 20 years. In the same interview last Friday, Rogers also denied having recruited Newton to Mississippi State.

"A school never paid me for a kid and alumni never paid me for a kid. Period. Point blank," Rogers said.

Rogers' attorney said Rogers is scheduled to meet with the NCAA on Tuesday. Bond said he's scheduled to meet with the FBI on Tuesday and plans to turn over his phone records and anything else the FBI asks for at that point. He said the FBI reached out to his attorney earlier this week wanting to talk with him about the Newton situation, in particular if kids were being shopped out to colleges. That meeting was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but was postponed by the FBI until next Tuesday.

"Until I speak with the FBI, I'd prefer not to say much more," Bond said.

Earlier this week, ESPN reported that two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said Cecil and Cam Newton, in separate phone conversations, told them that Cam Newton's college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan.

A source told ESPN on Thursday the phone conversations are part of the NCAA's investigation into the recruitment process of the Auburn quarterback. SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said reports from Mississippi State to the league office did not mention the phone calls, while a source said their existence was verbalized to the SEC.

Bloom said he could not provide what the allegations did include.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person who would provide more specifics, the source said.

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father, Cecil, had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program. The school said it didn't provide additional information requested by the SEC to the conference until July 2010 because of "time-consuming eligibility issues involving non-football matters in the winter and spring of 2010."

The NCAA is investigating allegations surrounding the Newtons in regards to the recruiting process. Cam Newton declined comment earlier this week.

A week ago, ESPN.com reported a man who said he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a six-figure payment to secure the quarterback's signature on a national letter of intent. Bond told ESPN.com a teammate of Bond's at Mississippi State in the early 1980s contacted him soon after Newton's official visit to Mississippi State during the Ole Miss game last season, and said he was representing Newton. That man was identified by other sources as Rogers, who played at Mississippi State from 1982 to '85.

Bond said an NCAA investigator came to Mississippi to meet with him in early September as well as with Mississippi State officials.

When interviewed by ESPN.com last Thursday at the family's home in Atlanta, Cecil Newton denied any wrongdoing.

Rogers has a company called Elite Football Preparation, which holds camps in Alabama, Chicago and Mississippi, and matches football prospects with colleges.

Go Dawgs!
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

we're all just humans being.

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

and here are the facts as we see them...
from al.com
FACT #1 NCAA has told Auburn Cam can play and continue to play.
FACT #2 They told Auburn to keep their mouth shut and let this play out. Miss. State missed that memo.
FACT #3 Rogers will change his story 3 more times to try to cover his butt.
FACT #4 Is the so called recording of Papa Newton or a second or third party? If it is not Papa, see #1

Clams

Post by Clams »

Call me a wishful thinker, but I'm looking for an upset in Columbus this afternoon!!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:Call me a wishful thinker, but I'm looking for an upset in Columbus this afternoon!!

I'm trying to cast as much voodoo here as possible

Too bad my wife is out of the country, or I'd probably be down there for Game Day
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

:D
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Fucking shit!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:Call me a wishful thinker, but I'm looking for an upset in Columbus this afternoon!!

I'm trying to cast as much voodoo here as possible

Too bad my wife is out of the country, or I'd probably be down there for Game Day

Well, we won the first half.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I watched Cam Newton play for the first time yesterday, and now I'm ready to join the Cam Newton fan club. The dude is an unbelievable football player with a smile to match. I love Cam Newton. He's worth the money. :lol:

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Clams wrote:I watched Cam Newton play for the first time yesterday, and now I'm ready to join the Cam Newton fan club. The dude is an unbelievable football player with a smile to match. I love Cam Newton. He's worth the money. :lol:

I really like Cam too. I hope He gets the Hiesman but,
as much as I would like to see an SEC team represent in the national title game, I want the Ole Ball Coach to take the SEC title.
As much as we tried, we couldn't whack the Cocks last night. I really hoped to beat the Cocks :(
We just could not choke them ckickens. :roll:
Appalechian St next week. Hope they don't do to us what they did to Mich :o
Go Cocks!
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

been webless since saturday, chiming in late...
what a game against uga.
i though we were gonna get lit up early.
who am i kidding????
we did get lit up early.
the on-side kick to start the second half was huge.
i knew when we held them to a field goal in the 3rd it was gonna go our way.
not sure how to take all the "hate".
lots of late hits and extra curricular action from both sides.
i really think my tigers showed a major lack of class.
from newtons right hook early in the game to whatever you want to call what n. fairley brings to the game.
don't get me wrong, fairley is a beast....
but, this aint the WWE.

bama @ denny's is next.
then a re-match with the cocks. (i would have preferred the gators)
hopefully then to glendale.
before the NCAA comes down on us with a fucking sledgehammer.

wde>

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I can't remember a story I cared less about than this Cam Newton saga.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:I can't remember a story I cared less about than this Cam Newton saga.

The re-release of Exile on Main Street?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

go to hell, ole miss. go to hell.

earn that money.

2010......accept clams.

2010.....expect les.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Scored some great (and cheap) seats on Craigslist, will take Clams Jr down to Wash DC tomorrow for the Indiana-PSU game at Fedex Field. Hit the road early, do some tailgating, sunny and 64 degrees, beat up on the Hoosiers, watch Joepa prowl the sidelines... good times.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Is this crazy or what? What an embarassment.

Cubs 'surprised' by Big Ten rules change

A look at the east end zone at Wrigley Field. (E. Jason Wambsgans/Tribune)

By Teddy Greenstein

Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald dropped a clue Friday morning that the gridiron layout for Saturday's game at Wrigley Field would not work.

During an interview on the "Dan Patrick Show," Fitzgerald said player safety was "our No. 1 concern. It continues to be our No. 1 concern and it's always being evaluated."

Always being evaluated.

Less than an hour later, the Big Ten announced changes to what promises to be the last football game played at Wrigley Field.

In response to the fact that the back-middle of the east end zone was just a foot from a thickly padded wall, the Big Ten has decided not to use that end zone for any offensive plays.

The changes, however, caught the Cubs off guard.
"The Chicago Cubs are surprised by the Big Ten's last-minute statement regarding changes for tomorrow's Northwestern-Illinois football game at Wrigley Field," Cubs president Crane Kenney said in a statement. "Let there be no doubt: the safety of the student-athletes has been - and remains - the number one priority since the concept of this game was first discussed more than a year ago, and all parties have gone to complete lengths to ensure student-athlete safety for this contest. "

Kenney said both schools and the Big Ten approved the layout of the field, eight months ago and that a conference representative inspected the field last week and raised no safety concerns.

"This game would not have been scheduled if it did not pass the strict and meticulous standards of everyone involved, a process that began more than a year ago," Kenney said. "All are in agreement Wrigley Field is a safe venue to host a football game."

The Cubs have reached out to the Big Ten to discuss Friday's announcement, Kenney said.

The rules changes laid out by the Big Ten Friday morning:

1. All offensive plays will head toward the West end zone, including all extra points and all overtime possessions.
2. All kickoffs will be kicked toward the East end zone.
3. After every change of possession, the ball will be repositioned for the offense to head toward the West end zone.
4. As a result of a coin toss held by the conference office Friday morning, Illinois will occupy the West team bench in the first half and Northwestern will occupy the West team bench in the second half and for all overtime periods.

"The health and safety of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said in a statement. "Both Illinois and Northwestern did significant due diligence over the past 18 months, but after seeing the actual layout of the field, all parties felt that it was appropriate to adjust the rules to further enhance the safety of our student-athletes."

Before Friday, Fitzgerald acknowledged that Northwestern would have two different red-zone offenses - depending on which side of the field his team was headed.

Now he can scrap that.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, that's pretty wild. So the team that loses the coin flip doesn't have a choice of end, so what do they get as the "booby prize" instead? Which lockerroom to use? Which Cubs' autographs they get?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Zip City wrote:I can't remember a story I cared less about than this Cam Newton saga.

I'm not sure what team Randy Moss is even on right now, I cared so little about that one.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Northwestern vs Illinois
I didn't realize that both teams were going to share the same sideline. Northwestern is at the far end of the field. Great vantage point for that ONE end zone available to both teams. Are they switching at half time? This is a joke. Whoever okay'd this idea from the Big Ten/Univ's should be embarrassed. Wow.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good times yesterday (albeit mediocre football)

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

^^^^^^^^^*
that looks like a Great time clams. I've always wanted to see a game at Happy Valley. And there's nothin like takin in a game with our kids if they are into it also.
We just got confirmation today that soonerette and I have 45 yd line tickets to the Bedlam (OU vs OSU) game in Stillwater Sat night. Probably the biggest bedlam game in history as the winner will advance to the conference championship game. Madi's been to quite a few sooner games with me but never in a road game. So we'll be the two red sweatshirts in that sea of orange! Gameday is gonna be there. pistol Pete, OSU mascot got us the tickets. We r gonna get there early enough to hang out with him a little. We r very excited to spend the day together. Gonna be a long one tho, as the game doesn't start til 7pm.
Go sooners!!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

4sooner wrote:^^^^^^^^^*
that looks like a Great time clams. I've always wanted to see a game at Happy Valley. And there's nothin like takin in a game with our kids if they are into it also.

It was in DC, not happy valley. Indiana sold it's soul and a home game to the Redskins for a $3 million payday.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Stop me if you've heard this one before: JoePa's coming back for yet another year

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Geaux Tigers! Beat those Hogs!
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...