R.I.P. Jane Russell

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jimmyc

R.I.P. Jane Russell

Post by jimmyc »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-0 ... at-89.html

I have very fond childhood memories of that "Cross Your Heart" ad campaign!

beantownbubba

Re: R.I.P. Jane Russell

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn. Me too, jimmy c, me too.

Plus only just watched her cavorting w/ MM in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes a couple of weeks ago.

Very sad. RIP.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

RIP, Jane: The woman for whom the term "statuesque" was practically invented.

My favorite Jane Russell bits were her saucy, tough-as-nails-bad-girls-with-a-heart-of-gold, and the best were with Robert Mitchum.

Macao (1952) is steamy film noir fun with Jane as a down-on-her-luck "singer" in the Orient. She meets up with Mitchum, gets involved in diamond smuggling, and wears all sorts of low-cut dresses.

But the best is His Kind of Woman (1951), a baroque, twisted film noir (even by film noir standards) with Jane wearing all sorts of bathing suits and evening gowns and other décolletage-displaying resort wear (and Ha! again as a "singer"), Mitchum as a down-on-his-luck gambler, Raymond Burr as a deported Italian gangster, and assorted shady bit players (including an ex-Nazi plastic surgeon and Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island) who get involved with federal agents, stolen identities, gambling, romance, and suntan lotion application at a groovy secluded Mexican resort where Vincent Price is a vacationing ham actor who likes to quote Shakespeare and shoot things. I know, I know, but it's a fun head-scratcher.

I know a few of you would really dig it (and by a few, I mean you, Littlemamma.)

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Also, the subject of one of Hollywood's first censorship trials.

God bless underwire bras.