Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sactochris

Re: Books Thread

Post by sactochris »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Just started Trouble Boys last night. Not one to open a beer at the start of, is it?

I read the whole thing in one long sitting. I loved it.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The law of unintended consequences: It's becoming harder to enjoy the thrillers I love so much. One genre of thriller depends on setting out conspiracy theories that walk the line between being threatening enough for the reader to care and just realistic enough to keep you engaged. Now that nothing is impossible, the typical conspiracy dreamed up by novelists are either way too tame or way too realistic. Crazy, crazy times.

Speaking of thrillers, just finished The Archangel Project by CS Graham, a pseudonym for a husband and wife team. She's the novelist CS Harris who writes a very good series of "romantic mysteries" (which I will describe in greater detail one i've caught up w/ the series - 2 books to go) set in the 19th century and her husband who was apparently some kind of spook for many years, which makes for complementary skills for a thriller. The book starts out horribly and if I didn't like Harris so much i probably would have dropped it, but it was worth sticking w/ and turned out pretty good. Not must read, but worth reading. Much of the book is set in post-Katrina New Orleans and it was very interesting to read a book set in such a touchstone city that didn't focus on all the wonderfulness of the city so much as the devastation and continuing difficulties (circa 2008). It was a love letter to the city, just not in the usual way.

Recently re-read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson because I found I didn't remember it well at all. It was just as good the second time. Just a great book. And if you're either from, live in or enjoy Chicago it's a must read to learn so much about how the post-fire city became what it is. Fascinating and reads like excellent fiction.

Karin Slaughter's latest, The Kept Woman keeps alive her streak of excellence. Read everything she's written. Period.

Michael Connelly's latest Bosch novel, The Wrong Side of Goodbye, is kind of like the latest Lee Child/Reacher book i mentioned earlier: Something of a return to form but not quite at the level of the classics that made his name in the first place. One of the skills of the best mystery writers is how they'll set out 2 different plots and slowly tie them together in interesting ways that shed light on lots of things both plot related and in more big picture terms. In this one, the 2 plots quite literally never cross paths except that Bosch is involved in both. I found that strange. And while both mysteries were intriguing, Bosch as a character was less 3 dimensional than usual, which was disappointing because at Connelly's best Bosch is one of the great characters in fiction.

Susan Elia MacNeal writes what i think is a very interesting, somewhat different, series featuring Maggie Hope, a young American woman in England before and during WWII. MacNeal has an interesting proto-feminist perspective and she gets the history right, or at least it feels right to me. Plus Maggie is a great character. Probably worth reading in order.

I suppose Martin Cruz Smith will never reach the heights he once scaled w/ Arkady (e.g. Gorky Park) but that's a ridiculous standard to hold anyone to. His latest, The Girl From Venice, is nonetheless a very good read and a lovely tribute to the beguiling city of Venice at the end of WWII.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Inspired by Ray Wylie Hubbard's song The Messenger
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've been working my way through this for several months but couldn't really take more than 100 pages at a time, just too tough a story. One of the absolute saddest tales I've ever heard and when i finished it on a flight last night there were tears in my eyes. I hope no one noticed. That said it was an amazingly researched and beautifully written account of the band and probably the best Rock & Roll biography I've ever read.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rock n roll overload: Just got a notice that both the springsteen and robbie r autobios are waiting for me at the library. I'm greatly looking forward to reading both but I hope it doesn't turn out to be too much of a good thing. I guess 1 of them will be my homecoming travel book.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Currently reading George Saunders 10th Of December in preparation of my signed copy of Lincoln In The Bardo arriving from Alabama Booksmith.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just finished this one, which I enjoyed. My first time reading one of this author's books. It's relatively short but full of detail. It tells the tale of two families, both with the last name of Redd, one family is white, the other black. The story focuses on the plight of the black family, who had members that were slaves on the white family's plantation.

I just started this, which is a collection of short stories by Larry Brown and am already close to halfway through the book. Pretty compelling reading so far. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Basically a book about Disco in New York. Contrary to what BTB will have you believe the initial drug of choice was not Cocaine (there's a clue in the title of the book).
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote: Contrary to what BTB will have you believe the initial drug of choice was not Cocaine (there's a clue in the title of the book).
Huh? Me? What did I say? I didn't even know there was an "American dance culture" until about 1976 or so and I sure wouldn't have thought of it in those terms until ... just now.

Kudzu Guillotine

Just started this. Believe it or not, I've never read it before, nor have I seen the movie.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image
I just started this, which is a collection of short stories by Larry Brown and am already close to halfway through the book. Pretty compelling reading so far. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.
Beth turned me onto Larry Brown several years ago with this book. I haven't made my way through all of them yet but everything I've read so far is excellent including Joe, Father and Son and Fay. Billy Ray's Farm: Essays from a Place Called Tula is also excellent as it gives you insight into Brown's family and his beloved Tula. I have had the privilege of visiting Billy Ray's Brown Family Dairy several times and have gotten to know Larry's son Shane quite well. Shane was gracious enough to take a few of us on a private tour of Tula a few years back and it was an amazing experience. Shane has started writing his own stuff and has recently started working some with his father's former editor. He hasn't published anything yet, outside of social media, but he has the makings of a great writer a well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beth turned me onto Larry Brown several years ago with this book. I haven't made my way through all of them yet but everything I've read so far is excellent including Joe, Father and Son and Fay. Billy Ray's Farm: Essays from a Place Called Tula is also excellent as it gives you insight into Brown's family and his beloved Tula. I have had the privilege of visiting Billy Ray's Brown Family Dairy several times and have gotten to know Larry's son Shane quite well. Shane was gracious enough to take a few of us on a private tour of Tula a few years back and it was an amazing experience. Shane has started writing his own stuff and has recently started working some with his father's former editor. He hasn't published anything yet, outside of social media, but he has the makings of a great writer a well.
Thanks for the heads up.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Just finished these:
ImageImage

Now this

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

I might in the minority for this opinion but I finished Hillbilly Elegy this week and thought it was awful. The personal story was fine, engaging and well told, but his social commentary on "hill people" was weak and lazy. I almost threw the book across the room when he talks about how lucky he was for the opportunities he had for social mobility but not two chapters before he was blaming those who haven't had those opportunities as lazy and without a work ethic. It's a book that gives everyone outside of Appalachia what they want to hear and keeps the focus on "bad" individuals and does nothing to point out structural inequalities, workforce exploitation, etc. I'm 31 now and grew up in Michigan - maybe I should write a book about the auto industry and strike it rich! /rant 8-)
A girl as plain as a primer coat

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

I might in the minority for this opinion but I finished Hillbilly Elegy this week and thought it was awful. The personal story was fine, engaging and well told, but his social commentary on "hill people" was weak and lazy. I almost threw the book across the room when he talks about how lucky he was for the opportunities he had for social mobility but not two chapters before he was blaming those who haven't had those opportunities as lazy and without a work ethic. It's a book that gives everyone outside of Appalachia what they want to hear and keeps the focus on "bad" individuals and does nothing to point out structural inequalities, workforce exploitation, etc. I'm 31 now and grew up in Michigan - maybe I should write a book about the auto industry and strike it rich! /rant 8-)
A girl as plain as a primer coat

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Just finished Father and Son a few weeks ago. I've read it, Joe, and Dirty Work. I loved all three. Running across a Larry Brown book is always a great surprise. It's such a shame he sides so young and such a shame that he's not more well known. Then again, his not being g real well known sort of makes it better in its own way.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blueridgehiker wrote:I might in the minority for this opinion but I finished Hillbilly Elegy this week and thought it was awful. The personal story was fine, engaging and well told, but his social commentary on "hill people" was weak and lazy. I almost threw the book across the room when he talks about how lucky he was for the opportunities he had for social mobility but not two chapters before he was blaming those who haven't had those opportunities as lazy and without a work ethic. It's a book that gives everyone outside of Appalachia what they want to hear and keeps the focus on "bad" individuals and does nothing to point out structural inequalities, workforce exploitation, etc. I'm 31 now and grew up in Michigan - maybe I should write a book about the auto industry and strike it rich! /rant 8-)
I guess you posted it 2x because you REALLY mean it :D I more or less agree w/ you on the lazy part in the sense that the book is mostly based on personal observations as opposed to serious research but I found it to be very thoughtful w/in those confines and thought that a noticeable portion of the book was about structural inequalities (though not in any formal way like using that term or anything like it). The main takeaway for me (which i think I wrote about above) was the connection it made, explicitly and implicitly between the hillbilly and black cultures, raising exactly the question of what's structural, what's individual, what's cultural about the entrenched problems both subcultures face.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Some recent reads:

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen - Unquestionably one of the best books of its type, autobio or "regular" music bio. Springsteen is not surprisingly thoughtful, analytical, warmhearted & generous and pretty much honest. While the book of course presents his point of view on the subjects addressed, he's very fair to "opponents" and very critical of and willing to admit his own mistakes. I found it both amusing and understandable that words like "human touch" and "lucky town" did not appear in the book at all :lol: But at the end of the day it's a music bio and i think for me that's a dead end. While I sometimes gain insight or learn some interesting facts I think I'm looking for more understanding of the creative process than anyone can reasonably provide. One obvious example in this book is how all of a sudden Springsteen says "I started writing songs." Period. Nothing about how he worked up to it, how hard it was, what his early struggles w/ writing may have been (or not), just "I started writing songs." That sounds more critical than i intend - my point is that i seem to be looking for things that artists (at least rock musicians) don't really write about. I'm gonna read the Robbie Robertson because it's sitting right here but I think that may be it for a while.

Surrender NY - Caleb Carr. When someone writes a masterpiece [used a little loosely but intentionally] like The Alienist it's unfair to hold him to that standard and that's a good chunk of the issue here: It's good but it's not THAT good and like i say, that's more on me than him. I enjoyed the book. Interesting plot, good main characters and some really good stuff (tho a bit polemical at times) about the post 9/11 world of the Patriot Act, militarized police and the like. But something is off about the writing style and i can't figure it out. I'd love for someone else to read it so we could compare notes. There's something a little stilted about it, maybe that it echoes the 19th century style of The Alienist more than it reflects the 21st century setting of this book? Again, I'm probably sounding too negative. If you like Carr I think you'll like this book.

Any Minute Now- Eric Von Lustbader. I couldn't remember why I stopped reading Lustbader so I picked up his latest. A strange mix of very well executed genre thriller stuff and weird mystical mumbo jumbo stuff of the kind I typically don't care for. Worth reading for the light, zippy thriller and main characters but oy, that other stuff. :roll:

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:Some recent reads:

Born to Run One obvious example in this book is how all of a sudden Springsteen says "I started writing songs." Period. Nothing about how he worked up to it, how hard it was, what his early struggles w/ writing may have been (or not), just "I started writing songs." That sounds more critical than i intend - my point is that i seem to be looking for things that artists (at least rock musicians) don't really write about. I'm gonna read the Robbie Robertson because it's sitting right here but I think that may be it for a while.
The Robertson book may offer a bit more insight into that stuff. At least from around when he started writing songs for what was to become Music from Big Pink. Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote: Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.
That in itself would be quite an achievement. Springsteen, like most, is certainly in awe of Dylan. Which reminds me, Springsteen describes his late-in-Sinatra's-life friendship w/ Frank, which i did not know about. It was very cool to read about and also just a very cool thing, new jersey mythology wise.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote: Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.
That in itself would be quite an achievement. Springsteen, like most, is certainly in awe of Dylan. Which reminds me, Springsteen describes his late-in-Sinatra's-life friendship w/ Frank, which i did not know about. It was very cool to read about and also just a very cool thing, new jersey mythology wise.
I think the "key" to this is probably the fact that (as described in the book) the guys in The Band were not very aware of the folk scene and Dylan at the time they got introduced to him and started collaborating, then embarked on the "electric tour" where they got booed at every single gig and maybe almost felt that they did this poor guy a favor. On the other hand, it may also say something about Robbies ego.

Springsteen book definitely on my list.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

RolanK wrote: On the other hand, it may also say something about Robbies ego.
always a safe bet
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

jr29

Post by jr29 »

RolanK wrote:

Born to Run One obvious example in this book is how all of a sudden Springsteen says "I started writing songs." Period. Nothing about how he worked up to it, how hard it was, what his early struggles w/ writing may have been (or not), just "I started writing songs." That sounds more critical than i intend - my point is that i seem to be looking for things that artists (at least rock musicians) don't really write about. I'm gonna read the Robbie Robertson because it's sitting right here but I think that may be it for a while.
The Robertson book may offer a bit more insight into that stuff. At least from around when he started writing songs for what was to become Music from Big Pink. Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.
Did you notice how Robbie kinda, sorta took the high road when talking about Levon and his issues ? I can't decide if Robbie took the high road to avoid stirring the pot or if maybe Levon had some legitimate arguments.
Robbie certainly like to kiss and tell too.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
RolanK wrote: On the other hand, it may also say something about Robbies ego.
always a safe bet
The book certainly showcases some of that.

I'm currently reading "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan. It's a tough read about the Dust Bowl and the people who experienced it.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

jr29 wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Did you notice how Robbie kinda, sorta took the high road when talking about Levon and his issues ? I can't decide if Robbie took the high road to avoid stirring the pot or if maybe Levon had some legitimate arguments.
Robbie certainly like to kiss and tell too.
By choosing to let the curtain fall where it does, I guess he cunningly avoids having to go into all the details of what he has been accused of by Levon and others. I couldn't help but thinking every time there is mentioning of his relationship with Levon, as you say, choosing the high road, as part of a strategy to "build his case". There are passages where he touches upon the other guys contribution in the songwriting, how the publishing/royalties where split, and the business side of things, but never in such detail that you get the full picture. With Levon no longer able to speak for himself, my take is that he doesn't want it to be completely about telling "the other side of the story" of Levon's book.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Levon could definitely be a red assed, bitter southerner. However, one thing that always sticks with me is how he maintained relationships with almost every guy and gal from those glory days, except Robbie. Ronnie Hawkins, Fred Carter jr, Bobby Charles, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, etc etc etc....all of them seemed to stay in Levon's corner.
I do understand how the financial side made things more complex between Robbie and Levon.