Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Given to Fly

Re: Books Thread

Post by Given to Fly »

Not very far into it yet, but makes me thankful that I didn't live in NYC in 1896.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Finishing up Lee Childs "Running Blind" then onto the latest "Bones" series book. Just came out and well I bought the hard copy. Got to keep borders open!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I first heard about this book during a segment on NPR. The interview with the author sold me on the book and Mumford & Sons (thanks to someone that called in during the piece). I'm still into Mumford & Sons (despite the inevitable critical backlash) but the jury's still out on the book. I haven't finished it yet so maybe my opinion will change once I'm done but for now, it's not all I thought it would be.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

The Black Canary wrote:Finishing up Lee Childs "Running Blind" then onto the latest "Bones" series book. Just came out and well I bought the hard copy. Got to keep borders open!!!!

Your area is known for (still) having a number of good independent bookstores; don't forget to keep them open, too.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The Petting Zoo, by Jim Carroll is finally coming out. I've only been waiting 22 years to read the thing.
Keep calm and have a cigar

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

I'm slowly suffering through "Eat, Pray, Love." Not super impressed thus far. No desire to see the movie yet either.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

never going back wrote:I'm slowly suffering through "Eat, Pray, Love." Not super impressed thus far. No desire to see the movie yet either.

People kept insisting I read it when I last went to Italy. They totally would not take no for an answer. My mother gave me a copy (this is about three years ago). I still haven't cracked it.

I've just started a galley of Susie Bright's memoir, Big Sex Little Death (shipping in April for you Susie Bright fans).

- bubba

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

It's a quick one, but good.

Not forever, just for now.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

one belt loop wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:Finishing up Lee Childs "Running Blind" then onto the latest "Bones" series book. Just came out and well I bought the hard copy. Got to keep borders open!!!!

Your area is known for (still) having a number of good independent bookstores; don't forget to keep them open, too.

Where I live not really no, it is more the second hand-book mega stores. But down near Northeastern U there are a couple I like to frequent for my Sherlock Holmes fix, there always seems to be someone who makes an attempt at Sir Dolye's work. Some good, some not so good, but I do like my Sherlock.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Am I really the first person on here to start reading this? :shock:

I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

PeterJ wrote:Am I really the first person on here to start reading this? :shock:

I can't wait to try his recipe for bangers and mash.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PeterJ wrote:Am I really the first person on here to start reading this? :shock:

Just bought it a half hour ago. Will start it later.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

They sure nailed the cover. Boy howdy.

- bubba

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm now 300 pages into Les Miserables, with about 1000 to go.

I've already had to renew the book once. This is going to take forever
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I've got it on reserve at the library, will probably be at least a couple of weeks before I get it. All of the reviewers I've seen are kvelling over it.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I've got it on reserve at the library, will probably be at least a couple of weeks before I get it. All of the reviewers I've seen are kvelling over it.

read a ton of it today while letting Cooley play with the toy train set at BAM. I was really surprised to read that Keef never mainlined any drug.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

When I grow up I wanna be Joe Pike.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

read a ton of it today while letting Cooley play with the toy train set at BAM. I was really surprised to read that Keef never mainlined any drug.

I don' think Garcia ever did either. If your getting that ultra pure rock star heroin you can get plenty high, not to mention strung out, just smoking

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

sactochris wrote:Image

I don' think Garcia ever did either. If your getting that ultra pure rock star heroin you can get plenty high, not to mention strung out, just smoking

Now Keith loved his needles - but he just skin popped.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Smitty wrote:
sactochris wrote:Image

Now Keith loved his needles - but he just skin popped.

Now that's just stupid. If your gonna use a needle, not that anyone ever should, use it right.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

sactochris wrote:
Now that's just stupid. If your gonna use a needle, not that anyone ever should, use it right.

Seriously. One of the reasons he gave was he didn't want track marks, but skin popping leaves bruises, so I don't get that logic. He also says it lasts longer, but it really diminishes the high (supposively). Not mentioning its got a heightened chance of getting infected.
aight this conversation is taking a turn for the worst... LOL

it could be an attributing factor to his survival, though

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
sactochris wrote:

Seriously. One of the reasons he gave was he didn't want track marks, but skin popping leaves bruises, so I don't get that logic. He also says it lasts longer, but it really diminishes the high (supposively). Not mentioning its got a heightened chance of getting infected.

Wow, you two really know your stuff.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote:
sactochris wrote:

Wow, you two really know your stuff.

Hearsay, my friend
:|

Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

I'm reading this now. Should be required reading for all DBT fans...

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

'Scratch wrote:It's a quick one, but good.

Oh yeah, big fan too.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

beantownbubba wrote:When I grow up I wanna be Joe Pike.

which one ya reading? I've read all of Crais' stuff. I am a fan. LA Requiem is a great book, regardless of genre.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Steve French wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:When I grow up I wanna be Joe Pike.

which one ya reading? I've read all of Crais' stuff. I am a fan. LA Requiem is a great book, regardless of genre.

Just finished The First Rule, which i believe is the latest one. Yeah, I'm a big fan, too and I think i've read all of 'em.

Currently reading A Corpse in the Koryo by James Church, which was very positively reviewed. I'm having a tough time w/ it - finding it enormously complex and way too subtle for my Western mind (it takes place in N Korea of all places) but I'm still hoping the payoff will be worth it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Saw this in a second hand bookstore so bought it. Came out in 94, so before Malcolm died.

I really like it. I like He was always the brains of the outfit, and that comes through, plus he is up front about it being HIS recollection. Good input from others who were there too: Steve Jones, Paul Cook, Caroline Coon, Chrissie Hynde etc.

He hates Glen Matlock, hates what poor Sid became, hates Malcolm, hates Nancy Spungen.

Good read, totally recommended. Plus you get to play your old records again. REally loud.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Steve French wrote:Image

Saw this in a second hand bookstore so bought it. Came out in 94, so before Malcolm died.

I really like it. I like He was always the brains of the outfit, and that comes through, plus he is up front about it being HIS recollection. Good input from others who were there too: Steve Jones, Paul Cook, Caroline Coon, Chrissie Hynde etc.

He hates Glen Matlock, hates what poor Sid became, hates Malcolm, hates Nancy Spungen.

Good read, totally recommended. Plus you get to play your old records again. REally loud.

I think they all hated Glen because he actually had some musical talent. Steve Jones did evolve into a very good guitar with a very distinct rhythmic style.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me