Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Books Thread

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:Image

nice!! luv all his books, if you like this one in particular, i would recommend: (it's x100 better)

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

About 100 pages in so far. A would-be poet, undergrad at Columbia, accepts a deal from a mysterious visiting professor to start a quarterly literary magazine. Things quickly take a nasty turn. Good story so far, well written and easy to read. Waiting for the big, postmodern twist that Auster is known for (inserting a character named "Paul Auster" in "City of Glass", for example). Hoping to finish it in the next couple days so I can move on to:

Which I've heard is awesome if you love Neil Gaiman, which I do.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

scotto wrote:Happy Bloomsday

and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Be sure to have a pint or a dram this evening.

SQUEE. Just catching up on this thread and hurrah for this post.

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

Penny Lane wrote:

nice!! luv all his books, if you like this one in particular, i would recommend: (it's x100 better)

I love O'Brien and started that one a few years ago but never finished. I may have to go back and find it again.

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

Steve French wrote:I have been put onto this site by a friend. Based in the UK, they ship worldwide for free. Given I spend all my allowance at Amazon and realgroovy, that is kind of a bonus for me. amazon shipping is f****************n expensive.

I have a few books I am going to order, see how it goes. If they ship to the other end of the world for free, I'm all over it.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Depending on how often you order from Amazon (and anything, not just books) it may be worth it to invest in a prime membership. I did because of ordering a ton of books for school and it was 70 dollars for the year, but I have used it for my friends to get furniture, toys, and all kinds of other stuff too. It has more than paid for itself in less than one year's use. It gives you free 2 day shipping on almost everything (including a 50 lb coffee table) and if you are really in a pinch, you can pay 3.99 for 1 day shipping. If you don't know if you'll use it all on your own, you could always split the fee with a friend and just make sure you both have access to amazon. Hopefully that will help cut the cost for you! :D

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Started this last night:

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Gator Jr. read this to me last night.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

mjk73

Post by mjk73 »

Excellent choice, you really cannot go wrong with Nick.

Anxiously waiting for my copies of the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo series. A dear friend has raved so much I have to give them a try. Love great suspense.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

mjk73 wrote:

Anxiously waiting for my copies of the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo series. A dear friend has raved so much I have to give them a try. Love great suspense.

It was actually my least favorite Hornby book I've read to date

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

mjk73 wrote:

they are very good. you will enjoy.

the first film (Swedish version) was very good. the second less so.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Just finished Lance "just for all"
just started Ann Rule "mortal danger"

drum roll please, new "Bones" book coming out August 24, so excited !!!!! I might even dole out the cake for the hardcover!!!!! She is one of those can't put it down for me writers, at least the "Bones" series!!!!!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

The Black Canary wrote:Just finished Lance "just for all"

drum roll please, new "Bones" book coming out August 24, so excited !!!!! I might even dole out the cake for the hardcover!!!!! She is one of those can't put it down for me writers, at least the "Bones" series!!!!!

ewwww i remember reading all those Ann Rule books back in the day...i love that murder stuff.. ..have you read 'small sacrifices'?

The Black Canary

Penny Lane wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:Just finished Lance "just for all"

ewwww i remember reading all those Ann Rule books back in the day...i love that murder stuff.. ..have you read 'small sacrifices'?

Yes I did back in the day. I never read "mortal danger" there are 3 "true crime" stories to this one and I am almost finsihed with the first. She is very detailed in her writing almost puts you there, watching it all at a distance.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Underwhelming. It's gotten tons of press so I thought it would be better.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Scored a few books at the library this morning. Saw this one on my way out & couldn't resist. Already half way thru. Did you know he did drugs? :shock:

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I liked it at first, but by the end it was like he was bragging about being an addict. But it was still pretty good.

scotto

Post by scotto »

yessaidyes wrote:
scotto wrote:Happy Bloomsday

and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Be sure to have a pint or a dram this evening.

SQUEE. Just catching up on this thread and hurrah for this post.

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE appreciated it.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I really liked this: read it back to back with Evan Wrights

both good. Fick's is better.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

On a rural noir / souther gothic kick. I highly highly recommend anything by William Gay - but beware, it's dark. You might find the title of this one familiar.

Currently reading this one. So good it defies description.

Not forever, just for now.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Just finished this:
Terrific story with layers of complexity, brilliant character development, suspense, etc. This crafty spy novel takes place in 30's & 40's Europe: and, the really good news is this author has ten more in the same genre.... I'm hooked.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

This is up next:

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Fall semester must be starting - got a stack of reading higher than my knee, with a couple more books still to pick up. See you around Christmas, sanity. :|

StevieRay wrote:This is up next:
[ img ]

I'm curious to see what you think of this. I read it a few years ago and, well... I'll let you read it first.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

'Scratch wrote:

An argument could be made that this is the greatest book (and movie) ever. My daughter loves to read; she always has books checked out from the library, spends her allowance at Barnes and Noble and Borders, and we often catch her reading late at night with a flashlight under the covers way past her bedtime (just like I used to do with Hardy Boys books :D ).
Anyway I think she is ready for To Catch A Mockingbird but the wife is not so sure because of the rape aspect. She is 10 almost 11. What do you guys think?

The Black Canary

Gator McKlusky wrote:
'Scratch wrote:

An argument could be made that this is the greatest book (and movie) ever. My daughter loves to read; she always has books checked out from the library, spends her allowance at Barnes and Noble and Borders, and we often catch her reading late at night with a flashlight under the covers way past her bedtime (just like I used to do with Hardy Boys books :D ).
Anyway I think she is ready for To Catch A Mockingbird but the wife is not so sure because of the rape aspect. She is 10 almost 11. What do you guys think?

Going with the Mrs on this one. Your daughter does not need to know of such things at the tender age of 10.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How about if i make a big Freudian argument that you changed "Kill" to "Catch" because of your concern about your daughter's tender years? Nah.

Age aint nuthin' but a number: How mature is she? Has she read comparable books (in all respects: level of difficulty, thematic concerns, etc etc)? It's not so much how much she loves to read (tho that does matter) as what she's been reading.

Every time we pushed a favorite book on our kids, who love to read, were always reading books beyond their years, etc, it was a mistake; I can't think of one that they loved half as much as we expected (tho there were only a couple - we stopped doing it as soon as we realized it was us). Given how much u presumably want your daughter to love this wonderful book, i'd wait at least a year on the theory that if u think she's ready now, she'll probably be ready 1 - 2 yrs from now.

To Kill a Mockinigbird is also one of the exceedingly rare books that made the translation to movies unscathed, i.e. the movie is as great in its way as the book is in its.

And everyone knows who the character of Dill was in real life, right?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

beantownbubba wrote:And everyone knows who the character of Dill was in real life, right?

Truman Capote

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Nice catch BTB! To Catch A Mockingbird sounds better for a kid. :D You all are probably right, maybe in another year. I am just in the mood to watch the movie again but i guess we will wait on that as well.