Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: Books Thread

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote:I might in the minority for this opinion but I finished Hillbilly Elegy this week and thought it was awful. The personal story was fine, engaging and well told, but his social commentary on "hill people" was weak and lazy. I almost threw the book across the room when he talks about how lucky he was for the opportunities he had for social mobility but not two chapters before he was blaming those who haven't had those opportunities as lazy and without a work ethic. It's a book that gives everyone outside of Appalachia what they want to hear and keeps the focus on "bad" individuals and does nothing to point out structural inequalities, workforce exploitation, etc. I'm 31 now and grew up in Michigan - maybe I should write a book about the auto industry and strike it rich! /rant 8-)
I guess you posted it 2x because you REALLY mean it :D I more or less agree w/ you on the lazy part in the sense that the book is mostly based on personal observations as opposed to serious research but I found it to be very thoughtful w/in those confines and thought that a noticeable portion of the book was about structural inequalities (though not in any formal way like using that term or anything like it). The main takeaway for me (which i think I wrote about above) was the connection it made, explicitly and implicitly between the hillbilly and black cultures, raising exactly the question of what's structural, what's individual, what's cultural about the entrenched problems both subcultures face.
Bubba (or anyone interested in this), if you are so inclined you should look at Hunter Maats' analysis of the connection between hillbilly and black culture. But more than that, Southern and black culture.

If you want a pocket version of it, Maats contends that American blacks simply absorbed the culture they were snatched up and thrown into.

Since the majority of Africans brought to this country against their will were in the South, they eventually took on Scots Irish culture as their own, intentionally or not.

Maats explains there have been three major herder cultures in world history. The first being the Persian bedouin culture, the second being the culture of the Mongols, and the third being the Scots Irish.

He explains that though these herder cultures were not identical, they share numerous major commonalities. Since these cultures were all inhabitants of remote locations characterized by rugged terrain they were largely left on their own to set their own for individuals and clans to set their own informal set of laws by which to live. Informal only in the sense that it wasn't codified. Uniquely formal in how it was applied.

Maats argues that these cultures were made up of herder clans that had be willing to fight to protect each other and their herds and land. Thus necessitating g or at least precipitating a culture of violence and strong ties to clan and family.

With this in mind it is no surprise American blacks who were thrust into the midst of Scots Irish culture would exhibit the same characteristics and also face the same issues as American white Southerners.

Also pretty interesting that while white Southerners make up a disproportionate percentage of our military we are very willing to go to war and fight with a people who share a lot of our cultural characteristics but that's another discussion for another day.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:With this in mind it is no surprise American blacks who were thrust into the midst of Scots Irish culture would exhibit the same characteristics and also face the same issues as American white Southerners.

Also pretty interesting that while white Southerners make up a disproportionate percentage of our military we are very willing to go to war and fight with a people who share a lot of our cultural characteristics but that's another discussion for another day.

The duality of the Southern Thing.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Testimony by Robbie Robertson - It's very clear that Robbie R is a born storyteller, which makes this book a pleasure to read. It was also clear from the movie of The Last Waltz and confirmed further in this book that he's a born mythologizer as well. That requires some care in figuring out where the truth ends and the mythmaking begins. But that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of reading a fascinating narrative that not only tells the story of a very interesting, incredibly talented guy and what seems like a pretty complete story of a very interesting, incredibly talented band but also a very first hand account of their times, which were some damn interesting times. In short, I liked this book a whole lot. OTOH if you've got your scorecard in hand I don't know that the book sheds much light on (and certainly doesn't resolve) who the heroes and villains are (aka the feud w/ Levon).

The first half of the book is virtually a hagiography of Levon. Robbie clearly loves (loved?) him, looked up to him and treated him w/ not just respect but something like awe. I assume that is meant in part to apologize and make up for whatever wrongs Robbie may have done to Levon. Levon is dead, of course, so I don't know how one measures whether it's a satisfactory apology but my guess is that the Levon camp will not consider it adequate because (a) Robbie never says it was my fault (whatever "it" may be) and (b) certainly doesn't volunteer any cash. It's also notable that the only Band member who doesn't come in for any criticism on any level is Garth Hudson who not coincidentally is the only other living member of the Band. While I don't think anybody wants to read dirt about Garth, the one-sidedness of his portrayal does cast doubt on the 100% accuracy of all the portrayals, particularly as it relates to the tough issues that are at the heart of the rift.

Robbie portrays himself as quite heroic throughout and goes to great lengths to explain how everything he did was for the good of The Band as a whole and ALL of its members. Some of it is convincing, some of it less so and all of it is presumably meant to "argue" his side of the Levon case w/out arguing it directly. Again, I'm sure the Levon camp will find much to complain about and not a lot to like about this aspect of the book.

I was surprised that the book ended w/ the Last Waltz. I assume that was intentional and I assume that's what most people want to read about. I personally would have enjoyed hearing about at least the next decade or so as he completed and released the movie of the last waltz, dabbled in movies and began his solo career. I get the point made above that by stopping where he did, he didn't have to address some of Levon's allegations, but that's only the fact of the allegations. The events themselves happened during the time the book covered (w/ the exception of the movie deliberately elevating Robbie to #1 star) and I agree w/ the comments above that in describing those events Robbie was both a bit vague and intentionally taking the high road, which along w/ the loving portrayal of Levon probably was intended in part to subtly build Robbie's side of the case w/out arguing it directly.

I really could have done w/out his reference to his uncle as "being a shylock." I thought that was stunning and it stuck out like flashing neon. Made me wonder if the word has different connotations and denotations in Canada because as best I could tell, it's not even an accurate description of the uncle's business. Didn't ruin the book or anything but obviously it stuck w/ me.
RolanK wrote:The Robertson book may offer a bit more insight into that stuff. At least from around when he started writing songs for what was to become Music from Big Pink. Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.

Yes, I thought Robertson did a much better than typical job of describing the creative process which, in the end, has to remain somewhat mystical no matter who the writer is. I did specifically pick up on and enjoy that aspect of the book (there was some similar stuff about guitar playing as well). I also agree that Robbie did do a better than usual job de-mystifying Dylan. I suspect it has something to do w/ (a) the incredibly interesting period during which they met and collaborated w/ Dylan which made for some very interesting and very humanizing stories; (b) the Band's role in essentially providing Dylan w/ the rock he wanted but didn't completely know how to create himself, making the Band somewhat more of an equal to Dylan at least in some respects; and (c) Dylan appears to really like Robbie which again allows Robbie to interact or at least describe the interactions in more equal terms than usual. OTOH, it's also clear that Robbie totally gets off on knowing and being close to Dylan aka ego.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:Testimony by Robbie Robertson
RolanK wrote:The Robertson book may offer a bit more insight into that stuff. At least from around when he started writing songs for what was to become Music from Big Pink. Also, Robertson somehow manages to somewhat de-mystify Dylan more than I have heard/read elsewhere.

Yes, I thought Robertson did a much better than typical job of describing the creative process which, in the end, has to remain somewhat mystical no matter who the writer is. I did specifically pick up on and enjoy that aspect of the book (there was some similar stuff about guitar playing as well). I also agree that Robbie did do a better than usual job de-mystifying Dylan. I suspect it has something to do w/ (a) the incredibly interesting period during which they met and collaborated w/ Dylan which made for some very interesting and very humanizing stories; (b) the Band's role in essentially providing Dylan w/ the rock he wanted but didn't completely know how to create himself, making the Band somewhat more of an equal to Dylan at least in some respects; and (c) Dylan appears to really like Robbie which again allows Robbie to interact or at least describe the interactions in more equal terms than usual. OTOH, it's also clear that Robbie totally gets off on knowing and being close to Dylan aka ego.
Yeah, but I don't figure Robbie will get an epitaph like this:
Bob Dylan wrote:He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation. This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him. We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I'm going to miss him, as I'm sure a whole lot of others will too.
Five bucks says if Dylan makes a statement on Robbie's death, it'll contain the word "respect".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:

I really could have done w/out his reference to his uncle as "being a shylock." I thought that was stunning and it stuck out like flashing neon. Made me wonder if the word has different connotations and denotations in Canada because as best I could tell, it's not even an accurate description of the uncle's business. Didn't ruin the book or anything but obviously it stuck w/ me.
What was his uncle's business?
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:What was his uncle's business?
He apparently had a legit job but if it was described I don't remember it. The main takeaway was that he was a "player." While detail was lacking he appeared to be a con man involved in a variety of schemes to separate people from their cash including one major scam involving diamonds which resulted in a prison term.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:Testimony by Robbie Robertson ...
Was curious to hear what you thought of this book, BTB, and your write-up is very much in line with my own impression. I couldn't help wonder if there might be subtle points throughout the book I might not pick up on due to the language thing and thereby missing out on or mis-interpertating in some way.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cross posted from the politics thread:

George Lakoff’s The Political Mind is an important book. I highly recommend it to everyone interested in politics, our existing political conundrum, political communication, and the ways in which masses of people hear and process information. Lakoff has helpfully posted on his website an article which summarizes his argument quite nicely (I don’t know how comprehensible it is if one is not familiar w/ some of the concepts explained in more detail in the book, but it might be a good starting point): https://georgelakoff.com/2016/11/22/a-m ... ty-can-do/

Lakoff’s primary field is cognitive linguistics and his thesis is that our brains are essentially hard-wired, pre-conditioned from the earliest age, to process and understand political arguments and political terms in certain ways which are not-uniform across the population. Even basic terms like “freedom” and “liberty” are understood and responded to quite differently depending on that hard-wiring. Speaking of responding, he tells us that up to 98% (!!) of thought is unconscious. Think about that (see what I did there? Hehe). When you add hard-wiring to unconscious thought/reaction, you’re in a place very far away from the usual model of conscious, rational reasoning we assume applies to political debate and decision-making. He calls rational reasoning based on Cartesian logic “Old Enlightenment Reason” and says that we need a “New Enlightenment” based on the latest research to understand the modern brain and how its workings affect modern politics.
Simplifying considerably, Lakoff argues that we understand politics through very basic “frames” and “metaphors” all of which derive from the primary metaphor of “Nation as Family.” And w/in that Nation as Family metaphor we largely fall into two camps: Either we develop from a nurturing parent background or a strict father background. That primary tendency is then reinforced through repetition in many, many situations across a broad range of circumstances both political and otherwise. He also very helpfully notes that not all people are hard wired totally one way or the other. Importantly, what we call “moderates” are not people who have “blended” views that are sort of a compromise in the middle between opposing views, but rather, they have strong views that on some subjects are more influenced by the strict father part of their brain, and others more by the nurturing part. He also explains that “opposing circuits” do not fire simultaneously, so the stronger one on any given issue will have primacy which through constant repetition and use will become even stronger. I think this has important applications to our understanding of actual political campaigns and actual votes by real voters, particularly the legendary (infamous?) undecideds.

Applying his research and logic specifically to American politics, Lakoff asserts that changing someone’s mind on a given issue requires both figuring out how best to appeal to the right circuits and constantly repeating the desired message. Essentially, arguments need to be presented in terms of emotion, which does not mean “rah rah happy/sad” but rather appeals to unconscious processes and moral principles which correspond to or are derived from the two fundamental worldviews (nurturing v. strict father), and the primary frames that follow from them (things like empathy v. individual responsibility and taxes as community enhancing v. taxes as stealing private property). Phrases like “death taxes” are calculated to appeal to just these sorts of unconscious receptors and a few seconds of conscious thought is all it takes to realize that historically conservatives have been much better at that sort of thing than liberals, who tend to rely on facts and “rational argument”. It even extends to such notions as presenting choices in the affirmative or negative: “You have a 90% chance of surviving this operation” v. “ten percent of people who have this operation die.” The different framing actually affects real world decisions! Or, put another way, facts are overrated, especially by progressives.

Lakoff’s attempt to craft practical applications of his theories and discoveries are not wholly convincing. But at the very least they do point to the need for progressives to start thinking way outside the box in terms of understanding their own selves and how to communicate their messages. In particular, comparing how the Democratic Party acts with the methods and approaches Lakoff suggests does illuminate just how barren (pathetic?) the Democratic cupboard is.

Reading this book will undoubtedly help you understand some of the political phenomena we all observe around us and scratch our heads about. Reading it will make you smarter, better informed, a better consumer of messages of all sorts including the political and better able to analyze what’s really being said and done behind the smokescreen of the verbiage. Those are all really good things. But ultimately, cognitive linguistics is not the whole answer; the search for understanding continues.

Note: The processes and science Lakoff describes should be equally interesting to liberals and conservatives. However, it must be said that he clearly approaches things from a progressive direction which impacts the text in multiple ways which I’m sure will annoy conservatives. How much so, I don’t know but would love to hear about if anyone is so inclined.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

[quote="beantownbubba"]The law of unintended consequences: It's becoming harder to enjoy the thrillers I love so much. One genre of thriller depends on setting out conspiracy theories that walk the line between being threatening enough for the reader to care and just realistic enough to keep you engaged. Now that nothing is impossible, the typical conspiracy dreamed up by novelists are either way too tame or way too realistic. Crazy, crazy times.

Two examples, one published in 2008 but very much current and the other, written by the former head of MI5, more or less hot off the presses. I enjoyed both to different degrees but both were somewhat less enjoyable because of how soaked they are in very current issues:

C.S. Graham, The Babylonian Codex - Enjoyable in an airplane trashy read kind of way. The meant-to-be unimaginable conspiracy is horribly imaginable.

Stella Rimington - Breaking Cover - Rimington's books have always had the authenticity that comes from being a lifelong spook but her writing has been getting better and in many ways I think this is her best book. But again, the very currency of the issues it addresses especially as it relates to Russian espionage efforts in the west ring a little too close to home for arm's length enjoyment.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Some of the best writing I've read in a long time. Six short stories on a variety of topics, some of which aren't particularly comfortable reading, but all of which display real emotional, human content.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Image

I've been working my way through this for several months but couldn't really take more than 100 pages at a time, just too tough a story. One of the absolute saddest tales I've ever heard and when i finished it on a flight last night there were tears in my eyes. I hope no one noticed. That said it was an amazingly researched and beautifully written account of the band and probably the best Rock & Roll biography I've ever read.
I'm just getting into this one. It's already very tough.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Trespasser is the latest in Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series and it is a knockout. First rate in every way. It's kind of unfair to label it as a "return to form" since after debuting w/ two A or A+ novels, she settled into formidable B+/A- gear, but this is as good as anything she's done. The protagonist is a great character and French knows her inside and out. Needless to say, highly recommended.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Good, but not as engaging ( so far, at least ) as "Just Kids".

"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

DiamondDave wrote:Good, but not as engaging ( so far, at least ) as "Just Kids".
My thoughts exactly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - Finally got around to this one after hearing so much about it, all of it really good. And the book lived up to the hype. The ending (the last few chapters) feels tacked on, but other than that, my goodness what a well written, well crafted joy to read. And written by a rugby playing Bowdoin grad which makes me wonder what my son's been up to since graduation lol.

I've read most or all of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux novels but very few (any?) of his other books. Currently reading The Jealous Kind and I guess it should come as no surprise that it is excellent. I hope I'm not placing a curse on it by writing about it before I finish, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.

Am discovering Chris Knopf, who writes 2 different but related murder mystery series set in the Hamptons as well as having written several "stand alones." The mysteries so far have been a very nice surprise. I'd never heard of him or them, picked the first one up on a whim and have been delighted thus far. I'm aware that I'm missing what has to be some real juicy Hamptons insider stuff and townie v. rich summer people intrigue but even w/out that insider knowledge the books are fun, clever, well-written and a light, breezy read, though sometimes he tries a little too hard for that breeziness.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ron- ... -treatment

Ron Howard Is Giving 'Hillbilly Elegy' the Hollywood Treatment

The Oscar-winning director is adapting J.D. Vance's best-selling memoir about white, working-class America into a feature film...
Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you're gonna write spy thrillers, you might as well have a name like James Naughtie. I swear I'm not making that up (and neither is he - it apparently is not a pseudonym). He's written 2 books. Madness of July and Paris Spring, in that order although Paris takes place first in chronological order. Madness is a little bit of a tough read - lots of oblique dialog and "I guess i'll figure it out later" moments a la Le Carre but w/out the light touch necessary to pull it off convincingly - but by the end I was enthusiastic and looking forward to the follow-up. Paris delivers on the promise of the debut. Really well done and the setting, 1968 in general and 1968 Paris in particular, can't be beat. In part because Paris takes place earlier in history, you don't even need to read the first one to fully enjoy the second.

Thinking about the chaos and excitement and fear that was 1968 and comparing it to the current time, one really gets an appreciation for how much cable tv/the internet/social media has changed the world and intensified emotions/reactions. I'm not sure humans are built to comprehend the world at internet/social media speed. W/ driverless cars and who knows what else on the horizon, we may need to start evolving a lot faster lol.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I just started this the other night. I know there are a lot of Jason Molina fans here, has anyone read this yet? So far it's really good. I had tried to buy the hardcover but was having a hard time getting a copy so I went with the e-book for now.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

hadn't read this in decades, so started it last night. Read until my eyes were nearly crossed and Jen told me to turn out the damn booklight

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:hadn't read this in decades, so started it last night. Read until my eyes were nearly crossed and Jen told me to turn out the damn booklight

Had Bugliosi speak at my school when the book was first current (more or less). I was skeptical, but to my surprise, he sold the place out and was absolutely spellbinding. The book is unquestionably an up all night kind of experience.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:hadn't read this in decades, so started it last night. Read until my eyes were nearly crossed and Jen told me to turn out the damn booklight

Had Bugliosi speak at my school when the book was first current (more or less). I was skeptical, but to my surprise, he sold the place out and was absolutely spellbinding. The book is unquestionably an up all night kind of experience.
Given that I am a bit obsessed, can't believe it's taken me so long to reread the book. Then again, I know the material inside and out....

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

once watched a mock lee harvey oswald/jfk trial with bugliosi prosecuting and gerry spence defending.

guilty verdict, if i recall.

whatwouldcooleydo?

dime in the gutter wrote:once watched a mock lee harvey oswald/jfk trial with bugliosi prosecuting and gerry spence defending.

guilty verdict, if i recall.
there is a guy on the Neil Young group Worldwide and I belong to who is, I am fairly certain, related to Bugliosi

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:Image
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this one.