Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Books Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Don't remember much about An American Tragedy other than that it was really long, very boring and I could not understand its status as a "classic."
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen won the Pulitzer Prize a few years ago so I'm kind of chagrined I never heard of it until recently. But boy does this book pack a wallop. A fictionalized account of the Vietnam War and the Vietnam refugee experience it is wonderfully and eruditely written with many sentences that brought me up short and required re-reading just to savor and many insights that have applicability beyond the specifics of Vietnam and the Vietnamese. Any book that makes you think this much in these ways is to be treasured. I hear the sequel is almost as good and am looking forward to reading it soon. I refuse to be cowed by the fact that English is the author's second language yet he writes in a way I can only dream of.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro was one of the saddest damn books I've ever read. The thing should have come w/ a warning label. I liked many things about the book, especially the narrator character, but between the sadness and the depths of the dystopia sneakily portrayed I was kinda battered by the experience.

There's nothing wrong with airplane trash novels. I love good airplane trash novels and I appreciate the skilled writers of good airplane trash novels. In fact, right now I'm reading Gregg Hurwitz's Into the Fire which is a sterling example of the genre when successfully executed. But I recently finished David Baldacci's Walk the Wire and holy cow is that a bad book. Even hack popular writers can't mail it in and have to put some effort into what they're doing. At least I think they should. Characters shallower than the screen I was reading on, a nonsensical plot consisting of 3 strands which never came together and as separate plot elements were absurd and uninteresting, and more predictable than a tv sitcom. Feh. I'm really glad I didn't actually pay for this crap.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 pm
In fact, right now I'm reading Gregg Hurwitz's Into the Fire which is a sterling example of the genre when successfully executed. But I recently finished David Baldacci's Walk the Wire and holy cow is that a bad book.
Proving my point, I finished Into the Fire. The plot was preposterous, stretching credulity way past the breaking point. But it didn't matter. Not a classic or anything but thoroughly enjoyable and exactly what it should have been.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Steve Forbert memoir- Big City Cat
William Gay short story collection called 'I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down"
Wendell Berry- The Art Of Loading Brush

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm
How was this? My sister's a big fan and her birthday's coming up.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm
jr29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm
How was this? My sister's a big fan and her birthday's coming up.
I'd definitely recommend it to a Forbert fan.
There are cool, "inside baseball" stories that music fans would dig even if they aren't into him. For instance....Steve worked with Jim Dickinson, but couldn't get close to him and the hangup seemed to be Jim's love of professional wrestling.
He is an opinionated, quirky type of guy with a cool story.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 pm
I'd definitely recommend it to a Forbert fan.
Thanks.

The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles. OK, it's mostly set in Paris, it's mostly about WWII and it's a lot about libraries and books so it's pretty much a can't miss for me, but even so, and even though the other part of the book is mostly about a teenage girl in 1980s Montana, I loved every page of this book. Great characters, a pretty fresh take on well trod ground (i.e. WWII Paris) and very well structured and written. Most highly recommended.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/nati ... MKIuTTiUKs

Sad to hear that Larry McMurtry past away. Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite book and his book/screenplay resume is pretty impressive. Plus he's the father of James (apparently some mighty fine literary genes in that family). RIP.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:48 pm
Sad to hear that Larry McMurtry past away. Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite book and his book/screenplay resume is pretty impressive. Plus he's the father of James (apparently some mighty fine literary genes in that family). RIP.
Great talent; sad day. RIP.

Beverly Cleary died today, too. She was 104. It's been a very, very long time since I read any of her books but her talent was undeniable as well. RIP.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

With you Clams. Hard not to put Lonesome Dove out the top books of all time list. I’ve read pretty much everything else he’s written as well. He passed along two key genes to his son - storytelling and curmudgeon..ism. I’ve seen home countless times. Rip.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 pm
With you Clams. Hard not to put Lonesome Dove out the top books of all time list. I’ve read pretty much everything else he’s written as well. He passed along two key genes to his son - storytelling and curmudgeon..ism. I’ve seen home countless times. Rip.

I concur. A few years back I read Lonesime Dove then immediately watched the mini series. Phenomenal experience.
And I hear you about curmudgeon, But one night at Continental Club James was sitting at the bar by himself so I just walked up and started talking to him and told him I was from the panhandle, and we talked about fence posts for a solid ten minutes.....beaudarc trees are native to the panhandle and it’s extremely hard wood. Pun intended. Best conversation about fence posts I’ve ever had.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:35 am
Best conversation about fence posts I’ve ever had.
Best report of a conversation about fence posts I've ever read. But inquiring minds need to know: Do either of you rent pigs?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:21 pm
Beverly Cleary died today, too. She was 104.
Since she was 104, she was born while World War ONE still raged. Think about all she saw and experienced during an incredibly eventful century plus. Mind boggling.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 am
Just finished My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Pretty entertaining read. In an odd twist of fate, I got to meet Chuck Levell a few days later. Good guy.
I just read Gregg's book. It was very, very entertaining.
I'd kinda love to hear Dickey's response to some of the stuff Gregg said but I believe they semi-patched things up near the time of Gregg's death so it's probably better left alone.

I do follow Duane Betts on instagram and he's posted pics of he and Dickey camping with Gregg and one of his sons in the mid-1980's. None of that kind of stuff was in the book. You'd never know anything like that ever happened if you judged by the book.
Yeah I would love to hear what Dickey would say too. He and Jaimoe are the last two standing. I wonder if Dickey were to pass on first if Jaimoe might shed some light on all of it but he seems too nice to really speak ill of anybody all that much.

There is a radio station out of Macon that I listen to fairly often and is about the only terrestrial radio that I do listen to at all. Every Friday night they have a show called Live From The Big House thats all Allman Brothers for a couple hours with the two guys doing introductions to the songs. While introducing Old Before My Time one night, they explained that the album Hittin The Note was almost called Victory Dance in reference to the line in the song, “It’s almost time for the victory dance.” But they decided against it because Greg was worried Dickie would think it was a reference to their then recent legal victory over him. There ended up being so much bad blood between Greg and Dickie but as you said it seemed to get straightened out before Greg’s death. Hittin The Note is a very underrated album.

With all that I know about them, I have a lot more in common with Dickie but I think I would have liked Greg better.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Good first novel. Different from the film.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's highly unlikely that David Hackett Fischer could write something I wouldn't like, but even given my bias, Champlain's Dream is a superior work of history and biography. I knew I didn't know all that much about the history of Canada but I really didn't know how little I knew. Now I know a lot more and it's pretty fascinating stuff. And Champlain was a really impressive guy.

Note to self: One can't understand history without understanding geography.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

This screwball comedy, full of time travel, confidence scams, and religious debate is highly recommended. Don't miss the exciting courtroom scene with The World's Greatest (in my opinion) Judge!

Here's a brief, spoiler-filled review.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2417-d ... t-arrested

If you're interested in Leftist political economy, ethnomusicology, and race, this is a difficult but recommended undertaking. I'm not all the way through it, but it's been thought-provoking thus far.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm

If you're interested in Leftist political economy, ethnomusicology, and race, this is a difficult but recommended undertaking. I'm not all the way through it, but it's been thought-provoking thus far.
I assume it wasn't your intention but this rec is remarkably timely given the nature of the Dylan film being talked about in the movie thread: the set is meant to evoke a Black southern crossroads juke joint from the 30's or 40's and it's pretty clear (if anything is really clear w/ Dylan) that Dylan sees himself coming out of and belonging to the southern (i.e. delta) folk blues tradition. Nothing new there - he's talked about that music as being the only "real" (i.e. authentic) music but this is a remarkable visual and musical evocation of that POV.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm

I assume it wasn't your intention but this rec is remarkably timely given the nature of the Dylan film being talked about in the movie thread: the set is meant to evoke a Black southern crossroads juke joint from the 30's or 40's and it's pretty clear (if anything is really clear w/ Dylan) that Dylan sees himself coming out of and belonging to the southern (i.e. delta) folk blues tradition. Nothing new there - he's talked about that music as being the only "real" (i.e. authentic) music but this is a remarkable visual and musical evocation of that POV.
Wholly unintentional, but an interesting synergy. Upon further reflection, it resonates with your recent invocation of infrastructure in the "political shit" thread, too. There's a good deal of discussion in the book about how infrastructure improvements (e.g., railroads, levees) were driven by the planter class, with the investment of Northern banks and financiers and in concert with governments, in ways that strengthened their grip on the entire economy of the region (or the means of production, if you will...).

An interesting reminder for me that as infrastructure is back in the national political spotlight, we must interrogate the idea that infrastructure is somehow apolitical or neutral, and attempt to prioritize projects that serve historically excluded segments of our populace rather than simply reinforcing existing inequitable wealth and power dynamics (in terms of race, urban/rural, etc.).
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Myths, Legends, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee. Like most southern white people Ive got Cherokee ancestors. I’m real interested in the history of the Southeastern tribes, specifically the Creeks and Cherokee. My avatar on the other message board that I frequent is a picture of Dragging Canoe, a Cherokee war chief who led the faction of the tribe that was dead against becoming “civilized” and preferred war and his own death to simply allowing his way of life to be erased by people who thought they knew what was best for him and his people. He literally cut out the hearts of white men and in some cases ate them. The book is not all about him but a comprehensive history of the Cherokee, their lore, traditions, and beliefs. Required reading for anyone interested in such things.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 pm
Myths, Legends, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee. Like most southern white people Ive got Cherokee ancestors. I’m real interested in the history of the Southeastern tribes, specifically the Creeks and Cherokee. My avatar on the other message board that I frequent is a picture of Dragging Canoe, a Cherokee war chief who led the faction of the tribe that was dead against becoming “civilized” and preferred war and his own death to simply allowing his way of life to be erased by people who thought they knew what was best for him and his people. He literally cut out the hearts of white men and in some cases ate them. The book is not all about him but a comprehensive history of the Cherokee, their lore, traditions, and beliefs. Required reading for anyone interested in such things.
I have been interested in Native American culture and the story of their decimation by Western invaders since I read the great and eye-opening Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. But I have found it very difficult to follow up, and we're talking about a period of many years by now. Something about that story is so intense and so heartbreaking that I find it difficult to get through the stories even though I can usually read about, say, the Holocaust and other historical tragedies and genocides without the same visceral reaction. I'm not totally sure what that's about. But even so, I'd love to learn more and will keep this book in mind.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PS Most interesting about your personal connection.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:33 pm
PS Most interesting about your personal connection.
As you probably know, one of the many tragedies surrounding this subject is there is so much we will never know. By the time the whites started trying learn anything about any of these people their numbers were a fraction of what they had once been mostly due to disease.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Lacy & Oliver—Ron Kennedy

The book is basically anecdotes from the author’s family experiences in rural Southwest Virginia. When I say “rural Southwest VA,” I don’t mean Roanoke, Blacksburg, or. Pulaski, rather far, far SWVA (Dickenson County, Wise County, etc.)

Between ‘02 and ‘04, I lived in Wise County. I was an intern and then school psychologist and was actually hired because the book’s author was retiring. Ron (author) was an intreaging man and musician, and the book only makes me wish that I had spent more time with him.

Any of you who have a connection the the area (think of rlipps) may find the book particularly interesting.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 pm
Myths, Legends, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee. Like most southern white people I've got Cherokee ancestors. I’m real interested in the history of the Southeastern tribes, specifically the Creeks and Cherokee.
Sounds interesting. I just ordered it.
Let the outside air in

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

long time no post. might catch up on what else ive read recently but for now, i finished this yesterday

spoilers ahead

enjoyed this one a lot. third hughes book ive read after in a lonely place (stunning), and the so blue marble (withholding judgment because ive found i just cant get into mystery novels in general)

started out as a simple road novel (guy driving through the desert stops to give a hitchhiker a ride) then becomes a crime novel (she dies, hes suspected). slow burner all the way, no cliffhanger chapter endings or anything like that. both halves hit right in my noir sweet spots of dudes on the move with a woman. while the road half wasnt romantic per se, there was enough of an uneasy sort of tension there to count just the same.

now for the reservations i had.

most significantly i didnt find its use of race to work at all, as social commentary or a literary twist. she clearly meant for the protagonist being black to be a big reveal that altered the way you perceive the entire book (a la charles willeford's pick up), but it was dropped too casually, way too early in the book to really do anything.

it came just as this thing steers into its second act. we find out hes black just as he starts having to defend himself from a crime he didnt commit and...fundamentally nothing changes like youd think. hugh remains in a firmly comfortable social class, with a high powered white attorney at his side and a high powered white marshall determined not to make the investigation about race. other than some casual (and overt) racist comments (that ultimately could have been written out without changing a thing) from a few characters, the guy gets an eminently fair shake the entire investigation. even afterwards, hes never arrested and ultimately cleared despite plenty of evidence that could have at least arrested him, his name is never publicly mentioned with the crime so his fledgling medical career isnt affected at all, he gets the rich and white passing girl and the lawyer doesnt charge him a cent. everything turned out so well it had to have been deliberate, which left me wondering what exactly hughes' point was then. why even go to the trouble of making race the lens this whole story is seen through only to say actually it didnt matter, gotcha! the story here was basic stuff but could have been a solid noir on its own because shes a very strong writer, instead its a seemingly well intentioned but clunky social commentary. maybe for the time it was powerful and progressive stuff, idk.

it also spent a lot of time on the morality of abortion, which was extremely dated but ultimately forgivable for the time. i go into this stuff expecting murky morals and suspension of various disbeliefs, but it was kinda weird that a teenager was found dead in a canal and the focus of several characters seemed to be finding/charging the abortion doctor over the (increasingly likely to be separate) murderer