Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Books Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:45 pm
After starting and stopping Jim Bouton’s Ball Four a dozen times over the last decade, I finally read it through in one swing these last few weeks. It’s a classic for a reason. Some great stories from an era of baseball I’m not old enough to remember, but enough commentary to connect the game then to what we have today.

Gonna try to read some books this summer that I’ve neglected for some reason over the years. Starting with Faulkner and Absalom, Absalom!
From Bouton to Faulkner? Wonderfully catholic taste or interests. If you can stick w/ "serious literature" in the summer you're a better man or reader (or both) than I.

I read Ball Four when it first came out and I loved it. I had the original hard cover until we had to dump most of our "library" due to mold issues. :cry: I remember literally laughing out loud more than once. In its time Ball Four was quite shocking and groundbreaking, which no doubt seems quaint now. I'm sure the fact that I was 13 at the time had nothing to do with my extreme interest in his description of ballplayers' sex lives and the women who made them possible. :lol:
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Re: Books Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:23 pm
i loved Bill Lee's book, The Call Me Spaceman
Baseball needs more Bill Lees.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.