Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Books Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

You're a girl, you can't not like Pride & Prejudice! :lol: :lol:

For Whom the Bell Tolls is great, but it does bog down at times, just remember it's worth it.

And Leaves of Grass? C'mon, a couple of hours in the park on a sunny afternoon and it's history.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As long as i'm here:

BC, I've just started another Iain Pears novel which reminds me that you must read An Instance of the Fingerpost. Mystery, historical novel, plain old great, great book and a tour de force for Mr. Pears.

Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker. First one of his i've read. I might read more. This was ok - some very interesting bits and some standard right from the template bits. The bad guy is not especially compelling/interesting.

The Insider by Reece Hirsch. Good writing, but an absurd plot - u have to forgive the fact that all the main characters make wrong, sometimes preposterously wrong, decisions in order to keep the suspense/plot going. But i'd try another one 'cause the writing's good and there's definitely potential.

8 in the Box by Raffi Yessayan. This one's the real deal. Very well done for a first novel and, yo! bc! great boston flavor and color. I hope this guy will be a keeper.

Wicked Prey by John Sandford. I was hoping for more, but it's just another in a long line of mediocre by the numbers Prey books, which is such a shame because the good ones are SO damn good. Sandford can write so it's not a bad read, but it aint what it should be.

The Associate by John Grisham. I haven't read Grisham in years and now i remember why. My mother suggested it, so i should have known better. Hysterical as a satire of large big city law firms, but as a book and as a mystery? Oh please. The protagonist is not just a graduate of Yale Law School, he's NUMBER ONE in his class at Yale Law School and not just an editor of the Yale Law Journal but EDITOR IN CHIEF (thus "proving" how smart he is in Grisham's world). So how come he's so fucking stupid and never makes a right decision until Grisham decides the book's long enuf to mail to his publisher? And the sad thing is, I really don't know whether the satire part is intentional or not.

Skinner's Trail by Quintin Jardine. What a find this series has been for me. Not the best in the series, but enjoyable nonetheless and the plot takes ACC Skinner to 4 or 5 countries in Europe in less than 300 pages, so there's some good "travelogue" stuff, too.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Right now I am re-reading Riding on the Edge: A Motorcycle Outlaw's Tale by John Hall. Biker books have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Most books in this genre don't live up to expectations. Many are written by cops and snitches. But this book is probably second only to Hunter S. Thompson's Hells Angels in the biker pantheon. It is about how The Pagan's Motorcycle Club went from a few chapters in southern Maryland to the dominant club in the northeast. It is set in 1967-1969. John Hall was 19 years old when he became a full-patch and at 20 he was president of the Long Island chapter.

This book completely rocks. Everything you would want in a biker book and then some. He avoids all the California cliches in most biker books and sets it clearly in the northeastern context. Back then outlaw bikers in the northeast rode Triumphs, Beezers, Nortons and Beemers as well as Harleys.

Check this book out.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:Right now I am re-reading Riding on the Edge: A Motorcycle Outlaw's Tale by John Hall. Biker books have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Most books in this genre don't live up to expectations. Many are written by cops and snitches. But this book is probably second only to Hunter S. Thompson's Hells Angels in the biker pantheon. It is about how The Pagan's Motorcycle Club went from a few chapters in southern Maryland to the dominant club in the northeast. It is set in 1967-1969. John Hall was 19 years old when he became a full-patch and at 20 he was president of the Long Island chapter.

This book completely rocks. Everything you would want in a biker book and then some. He avoids all the California cliches in most biker books and sets it clearly in the northeastern context. Back then outlaw bikers in the northeast rode Triumphs, Beezers, Nortons and Beemers as well as Harleys.

Check this book out.

matt, who was the female author you were telling me about on sat in the car...? she was among the jim carroll group? can't remember her name but wanted to find that on amazon.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Trying to jog my memory. Give me a couple more details. Darcey Steinke maybe? Now I remember. Mary Karr. But check out Darcey Steinke's memoir, Easter Everywhere also.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:Trying to jog my memory. Give me a couple more details. Darcey Steinke maybe? Now I remember. Mary Karr. But check out Darcey Steinke's memoir, Easter Everywhere also.

Yep! Mary Karr (Liar's Club?) thanks!

oh also, i joined the jamie mclean band's facebook page and there's a lot of info on there, also they have a NYC show coming up (think i have another show that night but you might be interested)

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

beantownbubba wrote:As long as i'm here:

BC, I've just started another Iain Pears novel which reminds me that you must read An Instance of the Fingerpost. Mystery, historical novel, plain old great, great book and a tour de force for Mr. Pears.

Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker. First one of his i've read. I might read more. This was ok - some very interesting bits and some standard right from the template bits. The bad guy is not especially compelling/interesting.

The Insider by Reece Hirsch. Good writing, but an absurd plot - u have to forgive the fact that all the main characters make wrong, sometimes preposterously wrong, decisions in order to keep the suspense/plot going. But i'd try another one 'cause the writing's good and there's definitely potential.

8 in the Box by Raffi Yessayan. This one's the real deal. Very well done for a first novel and, yo! bc! great boston flavor and color. I hope this guy will be a keeper.

Wicked Prey by John Sandford. I was hoping for more, but it's just another in a long line of mediocre by the numbers Prey books, which is such a shame because the good ones are SO damn good. Sandford can write so it's not a bad read, but it aint what it should be.

The Associate by John Grisham. I haven't read Grisham in years and now i remember why. My mother suggested it, so i should have known better. Hysterical as a satire of large big city law firms, but as a book and as a mystery? Oh please. The protagonist is not just a graduate of Yale Law School, he's NUMBER ONE in his class at Yale Law School and not just an editor of the Yale Law Journal but EDITOR IN CHIEF (thus "proving" how smart he is in Grisham's world). So how come he's so fucking stupid and never makes a right decision until Grisham decides the book's long enuf to mail to his publisher? And the sad thing is, I really don't know whether the satire part is intentional or not.

Skinner's Trail by Quintin Jardine. What a find this series has been for me. Not the best in the series, but enjoyable nonetheless and the plot takes ACC Skinner to 4 or 5 countries in Europe in less than 300 pages, so there's some good "travelogue" stuff, too.

At present I am finishing up my two Serial Killer history books, along with starting Preston & Childs Fever Heat and half way thru Patricia Cornwell "Tace"

what was the one you had mentioned before The Serpentine something????

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Serpentine by Thomas Thompson.

What about the Alienist?

Reading Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, which is so far very wonderful, keeps reminding me of just how great Instance of the Fingerpost is.

Rlipps, how's that Bourne book?

The Black Canary

beantownbubba wrote:Serpentine by Thomas Thompson.

What about the Alienist? Excellent, love that Edwardian Sherlock Holmes, books that give you the creeps, late at night

Reading Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, which is so far very wonderful, keeps reminding me of just how great Instance of the Fingerpost is.

Rlipps, how's that Bourne book?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty wrote:currently re-reading

just started this, gonna take it down to bonnaroo w/me...

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Not as good as I remembered from the first time I read this but still pretty damn funny in parts.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

has anyone read Chuck Palunhiak ? specifically "Fight Club"?

I love the film, and often books are better. but honestly, how could the book be better? Your thoughts callers?
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Happy Bloomsday

and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Be sure to have a pint or a dram this evening.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Steve French wrote:has anyone read Chuck Palunhiak ? specifically "Fight Club"?

I love the film, and often books are better. but honestly, how could the book be better? Your thoughts callers?

i read the book after i saw the movie, too.

i liked the movie better because it came first, but this adaptation was really really close

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Heard about this guy on NPR this week. He seems to write exclusively about bad things that happen to people in Eastern Europe in the thirties and early forties. Right up my alley: devourer of historical fiction that I am. I must say, having pulled it down on the Kindle, this guy's good. He's got like ten more... so, that ought to keep me busy for a couple of months perhaps?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I have been put onto this site by a friend. Based in the UK, they ship worldwide for free. Given I spend all my allowance at Amazon and realgroovy, that is kind of a bonus for me. amazon shipping is f****************n expensive.

I have a few books I am going to order, see how it goes. If they ship to the other end of the world for free, I'm all over it.

www.bookdepository.co.uk
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Red Pony (Steinbeck)

I really got to get some new books.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:Currently reading: "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby

i love all his books

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Tonight was the annual used book sale sponsored by the AAUW. All proceeds go to providing grants, scholarships, etc for women both locally & nationally.

This is the third year I've gone & didn't have a whole lot of success. Each book is $1. Bought eight books & paid a $5 entry fee. Most are hardcover and all are in great shape.

Undaunted Courage- Stephen Ambrose
Nothing Like It In the World-Ambrose
TheLast Ridge- McKay Jenkins
The Fifty-Year Wound- Derek Leebaert
No Ordinary Time- Doris Goodwin
Ship of Fools- James Hornfischer
People's History of the US- H. Zinn
Indifferent Stars Above- Daniel Brown

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

StevieRay wrote:Heard about this guy on NPR this week. He seems to write exclusively about bad things that happen to people in Eastern Europe in the thirties and early forties. Right up my alley: devourer of historical fiction that I am. I must say, having pulled it down on the Kindle, this guy's good. He's got like ten more... so, that ought to keep me busy for a couple of months perhaps?

Alan Furst is ALSUM! Enjoy!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Did you hear about the woman who was such a fan of country music that she has a tattoo of Merle Haggard done in a very delicate spot, high on her right thigh, and a tattoo of Waylon Jennings high on the other thigh.
Worried that the two tattoos weren't recognizable, she slips off her undies, lifts her skirt to a guy in a bar, and says, "Can you tell who that is?"
So the guy puts on his glasses, looks real close, and says, "I don't know who those other two guys are, but the one in the middle is Willie Nelson!"
That's a good one! But if you're suddenly pissed off over the crude nature of that joke, all I can say is, it's not a perfect world, and sometimes you just have to let your anger go

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

finishing this and i'm pretty disappointed...this greenfield guy is obnoxious and i can't stand his writing style

there's nothing much in here about the music, it's all about Spanish tony and Tommy what's his face....i get that, but is he trying to convey that he was there? it's confusing and he's very snarky about other writers who've tried to document the subject. ..he just annoys me and i was really looking forward to this book. that rolling stone article said more in 3 pages ...-i read reviews AFTER i read the book, but apparently there are a bunch of factual inaccuracies, too

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears may not be quite as good as the masterful Instance of the Fingerpost, but that's hardly reason to dis this wonderful book. I loved it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Penny Lane wrote:

finishing this and i'm pretty disappointed...this greenfield guy is obnoxious and i can't stand his writing style

there's nothing much in here about the music, it's all about Spanish tony and Tommy what's his face....i get that, but is he trying to convey that he was there? it's confusing and he's very snarky about other writers who've tried to document the subject. ..he just annoys me and i was really looking forward to this book. that rolling stone article said more in 3 pages ...-i read reviews AFTER i read the book, but apparently there are a bunch of factual inaccuracies, too

Yeah, it's right up there with Runaway American Dream as being one of the most obnoxious waste of a great topic music books I've ever read.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

starting this about Silicon Valley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Reading "The Willow Field" by William Kittredge.

It is REALLY good.

Not forever, just for now.

The Black Canary

J. A. Jance

"Long Time Gone"
sorry folks can not get IMG to work at the moment!!!!

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Been strugglin to really get into a book the past month or so. Picked up some duds that I started & never finished.

So far, so good with this one. (54 pages in)