oil spill

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: oil spill

Post by Clams »

AP journalist dives into Gulf, can only see oil

RICH MATTHEWS
The Associated Press

UNDER THE MURKY DEPTHS OF THE GULF OF MEXICO - Some 40 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico, I jump off the boat into the thickest patch of red oil I've ever seen. I open my eyes and realize my mask is already smeared. I can't see anything and we're just five seconds into the dive.

Dropping beneath the surface the only thing I see is oil. To the left, right, up and down , it sits on top of the water in giant pools, and hangs suspended fifteen feet beneath the surface in softball sized blobs. There is nothing alive under the slick, although I see a dead jellyfish and handful of small bait fish.

I'm alone because the other divers with me wouldn't get in the water without Hazmat suits on, and with my mask oiled over and the water already dark, I don't dive deep.

It's quiet, and to be honest scary, extremely low visibility. I spend just 10 minutes swimming around taking pictures, taking video. I want people to see the spill in a new way, a way they haven't yet.

I also want to get out of the water. Badly.

I make my way to the back of the boat unaware of just how covered I am. To be honest, I look a little like one of those poor pelicans we've all been seeing for days now. The oil is so thick and sticky, almost like a cake batter. It does not wipe off. You have to scrape it off, in layers until you finally get close to the skin. Then you pour on some Dawn dishwashing soap and scrub. I think to myself: No fish, no bird, no turtle would ever be able to clean this off of themselves. If any animal, any were to end up in this same puddle there is almost no way they could escape.

The cleaning process goes on for half an hour before the captain will even think about letting me back in the boat. I'm clean, so I stand up. But the bottoms of my feet still had oil, and I fall back in the water. The process starts again. Another 30 minutes of cleaning and finally I'm ready to step into the boat.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/2 ... z0qNWqmsEM
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

From today's NY Times:

A government panel on Thursday essentially doubled its estimate of how much oil has been spewing from the out-of-control BP well, with the new calculation suggesting that an amount equivalent to the Exxon Valdez disaster could be flowing into the Gulf of Mexico every 8 to 10 days.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

More from the NYT:

Many Britons are upset at what they see not just as the economic costs of American anger, but also at language they say demonizes Britain, America’s partner in the so-called special relationship — loose talk that taps into the British suspicion that Americans are insular and overly nationalistic.

Writing on his Web site, a Conservative peer, Lord Tebbit, called the American response “a crude, bigoted, xenophobic display of partisan, political, presidential petulance against a multinational company.”

Comments on British message boards this week have been full of anger at the United States and disillusionment at Mr. Obama, a wildly popular president here until now.

“The rest of the world is fed up with the parasitic attitude of the U.S.,” went one representative comment on the Daily Telegraph Web site. “As a Dutch citizen, I used to be a supporter of the U.S., but not anymore. You want the oil? You clean up the mess.”

Even as Mr. Obama has been attacked at home for his mild manner, so has Mr. Cameron, the new prime minister, been criticized here for not standing up more forcefully to the United States as BP’s fortunes have continued to plummet.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Not to be outdone, apparently Chevron wanted to get in the despoiling local waters game as well. Of course this pales in comparison to the nightmare in the Gulf, but still goes to show ya that it can happen anywhere, at any time.

From the Salt Lake Tribune:

A leak from Chevron's underground oil pipeline may have gone undetected for hours as it spilled 50 gallons of crude a minute Saturday into Salt Lake City's Red Butte Creek. The oil blackened the east-side creek, stained scores of birds, prompted the closure of Liberty Park and sent oil as far west as the Jordan River.
"This is extremely harmful," said disgusted resident Peter G. Hayes, a biology teacher who showed oily rocks from his creek-side home to Chevron officials at Liberty Park. "I want to know when are you going to send someone to my backyard and clean up my mess because I can't even live in my house because of the smell." Chevron pledged to clean up the 6-mile mess, but the company could not quantify the damage. As of late Saturday, Chevron said the leak had been stopped. But company representatives could not say when it began, how much oil spilled into city waterways and why -- despite pipeline monitors -- it apparently took hours to learn of the accident.

More Here:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15284499?source=rv

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

wrekkr wrote:Image

saint's hat, fluer-de-lis tat, who dat.

joelle

Post by joelle »

i hope children see these images ( sponge bob and the little mermaid) and ask what they are about.
i hope their parents tell them the truth.
i hope we can continue to learn and express the need for alternative fuel sources.
i hope that the fake "we are green" logo is so recognizable that kids will relate the two and never get their gasoline from bp
i hope part of the (eventual) sentence/settlement, demands bp change said logo to black and blue, or at least, greasy brown.
finally, i hope we can explain how big business often couldn't care any less about the very people who buy their product.
they will shit on the small worker who is trying to sell enough shrimp ( or run a restaurant, or work at Walmart, or be a secretary, or work in advertising or sales)
so they can fill up their car/truck with gas, to go buy groceries,take their kids to school or maybe take their family to a ball game.

"fuck the earth,fuck the shrimp,fuck the average worker" love,bp

"fuck you bp" rightfully scornful, the earth and it's constituents

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

beantownbubba wrote:More from the NYT:

Many Britons are upset at what they see not just as the economic costs of American anger, but also at language they say demonizes Britain, America’s partner in the so-called special relationship — loose talk that taps into the British suspicion that Americans are insular and overly nationalistic.

Suspicion, really??? You have got to be kidding me. Americans are insular and overly nationalistic. BP, their stockholders, and every Brit on the planet shoulda known that when they crawled into bed with us. It's bad enough they weren't prepared to respond to the spill, but to now act surprised that we make them the whipping boy shows me they're more worried about cleaning up their image than cleaning up their mess.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

another day. 63.

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

A speckled crab is almost completely encased in a thick layer of oil just offshore of the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge in Baldwin County, Ala. Discarded items, such as this American flag, are similarly encrusted with the thick, goopy oil found hugging the seafloor in several locations along the Gulf of Mexico beach.

Bad People.
we're all just humans being.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/64 ... lls-coffee

i'm not sure if that was funny or sad........

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://m.usatoday.com/News/1825786/full ... 2E89A.wap2
Allen Kruse tenderly kissed his wife goodbye just after sunrise Wednesday and headed to the docks in Gulf Shores, Ala., where his boat, The Rookie, was moored.
A charter boat captain for 25 years, Kruse had signed on as a BP contractor to spot oil, deploy boom and eventually learn how to skim oil. His business had come to a screeching halt after the April 20 oil spill.
About an hour later, Kruse was dead. He was 55, the father of 11- and 12-year-old boys, Cory and Ryan, and daughter Kelli, 26.
About 7 a.m., after a BP training meeting, he climbed into the wheelhouse of his 46-foot charter boat and ended his worry, his frustration and his anger with a single bullet to the head.
"Nothing was easy working with BP. Everything was hard, and it consumed him. He wasn't crazy," said his wife, Tracy, 41, sitting outside the couple's home in Foley on Thursday.
"He'd been a charter boat captain for 25 years, and all of the sudden he had people barking orders at him who didn't know how to tie up a boat to a pier. I think he thought, 'I've got to get out of this. I can't take it.' "
The spill also left Kruse emotionally devastated. It robbed him of his passion for taking customers out to the Gulf to fish for red snapper and grouper, his wife said.
"Our whole lives surround this, this oil, everything is oil," he told her a few days ago.

Consumed by worry

From the beginning, Kruse was unhappy with the glacially slow process of working for BP.
"He couldn't believe they were sitting there at Zeke's Marina doing nothing," Tracy said. "He wanted to get out there and work and help clean up the oil."
But once the work finally began, Kruse was overwhelmed with the paperwork to get an assignment and get paid.
In particular, one invoice required 52 pages to fill out, and there were problems getting the paperwork to BP, Tracy said.
Several days ago, Kruse finally completed the invoice and sent it to BP, but he still was unsettled.
"Things changed in our marriage," Tracy said. "Usually, I was the worrier, but now Allen worried. He worried that BP wouldn't get the invoices. He worried about the whole situation."
Tuesday morning, black skies loomed over The Rookie, but Kruse and his crew of three still went out to look for oil.
"They went out, but Allen called me and said, 'This is bad. Someone's going to get hurt,' " Tracy said. "So they came in at the request of the task force leader."
With the ominous weather and rain, Kruse's mood turned darker.

By Tuesday night, he again was focused on the 52-page invoice.
"I said, 'Allen, honey, please let's just give this a break,' " Tracy said. "He said to me, 'I just got this fog in my head I can't shake, and it's driving me crazy.' "
Kruse took a bath. He felt better. He ate. At 9 p.m., he and his wife went to bed.

'Last time I saw him'

Wednesday morning, Kruse rose first and dressed. Tracy got up for a few minutes, meeting her husband in the kitchen.
"He was just standing there, bent over the counter with his face in his hands," she said. "He was just leaning on the counter, and I could see the wheels of worry turning in his head."
Tracy said little, then returned to bed to catch up on sleep. Minutes later, her husband was at her bedside.
"He was just patting my head, and he said, 'I'm about to leave,' and then Allen said, 'It's just all madness, Tracy.'"

Those were the last words she'd hear him say.

"I told him everything would be all right. I said, 'Don't worry, Allen. It will all work out, honey.' "
Kruse kissed his wife, looked in on the boys, and climbed into his Ford F-250.

"That was the last time I saw him," she said.
She had no thought that he would take his own life.

The shot

A few minutes later, Kruse picked up Ronnie Doyle, a loyal deckhand, at the Burger King at Gulf Shores Parkway and Fort Morgan Road in Gulf Shores.
They drove to Gulf Shores Yacht and Marina and the BP staging area and went about their normal duties of fueling up The Rookie.
Then, the captains met with BP officials at a nearby building. It was hot inside, and many of the captains were angry and frustrated.
Deckhand Joe Resmondo said something happened to Kruse at the meeting. What, he didn't know, but Kruse had a look of horror on his face.
The co-owner of the marina, Billy Parks, passed Kruse and playfully punched him in the shoulder. Using his nickname, Parks cajoled him, "Cheer up, Rookie. It'll be OK."
But something was very wrong. Then Kruse went missing.
"It was a normal morning, but at one point, we couldn't find Rookie," Resmondo said. "I asked around if anyone had seen him."

No one had.

Then, there was a clap, what Resmondo assumed was a backfire or firecracker.
"I didn't give it any thought," he said. "It was a muffled sort of crack. Then, I climbed the ladder to the wheelhouse and saw Allen on the floor, sitting in the corner. He had shot himself. I turned, screamed for help and dialed 911."

'He wanted out'

Tracy got the call from Parks. There had been an accident, Parks said.
"What kind of accident?" Tracy frantically asked. "Is it Allen? Did he fall off the boat?" Her husband was notoriously clumsy.
"You need to come to the marina," Parks said. "Don't speed. Just come right now. Right now."
"And I was just screaming 'Tell me, tell me, tell me,' " Tracy said.
Parks wouldn't.
So Tracy called Resmondo. He wouldn't say either.
She hung up and called her sister, who'd found out about the shooting just minutes before and told her.
"You know, I don't think he was even thinking about his family," Tracy said. "I think he wanted out of the chaos and what he called 'madness' of the whole thing."

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

How about The President not waving the Jones Act, Theres a ship on the way that can get 500,000 barrels a day out of the gulf but since its foreign owned they can't help he waves the Jones Act. The EPA might not allow it because even though it can skim 500,000 barrels of a oil, a day, the water it releases back into the gulf may have a few drops of oil and the EPA says that any water released into the gulf cannot have any oil in it. Thats government for ya, but they're great! :lol:
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I received an e-mail from a friend at the Division Of Oil and Gas regarding temporary jobs down along the Gulf of Mexico.
If you know someone who may be interested, let them know.

Temporary Summer Jobs for Oil Spill Clean-up

Please note the following announcement from Shamrock Environmental
Corporation. Read carefully and respond as instructed.

TEMPORARY WORKERS FOR GULF COAST OIL SPILL NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

Shamrock Environmental Corporation has been contracted to provide support
personnel to assist with the oil spill clean-up throughout the Gulf Coast.

Areas where work may be performed are Louisiana , Mississippi , Alabama and Florida . All workers will require OSHA 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operator Training (WE WILL PROVIDE). Successful completion of a physical and drug screen are also required. Each applicant must be 18 years of age or older. The hours will vary but expect LOTS of overtime.

RATE OF PAY: $13.00/hr. straight time
$19.50/hr. overtime (after 40 hours/week)
PER DIEM: $26.00/day for meals
LODGING: Provided

Work may include, but is not limited to manual labor associated with removing
crude oil from impacted beaches, rocks, boom, or any other items that have
come in contact with the oil. Technicians may be required to operate
pressure washers, mops, rakes, shovels or a variety of other hand tools or
small pieces of equipment while wearing proper protective gear. Work
environment may include working on or near water, in marshland, beach and
estuary locations in hot and humid conditions day or night.

Work is available IMMEDIATELY for safety conscious workers. Transportation to the Gulf
Coast will be provided. The HR Group has been contracted to conduct this recruitment.

*Applications MUST be completed at: http://www.shamrockenviro.com/docs/ShamrockEmpApp.pdf

Send resume to: recruiter@shamrockenviro.com
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Satire of the BP response.

Fuckers.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I liked Clarkson's thoughts on it, it cracked me up

:lol:
I love Clarkson
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

The noise you hear is the governments of the US and GB trying to figure out some other crisis to draw our attention to.

Stay tuned for a more heinous disaster!!

I mean, thank GOD for the oil spill! That damn war was gettin old.
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Did this get posted here yet (?):

Oh - YES - Wrekkr had it in a link above.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why has President Obama waited over two months into the BP oil spill crisis before accepting offers of international assistance that were there from the very start, seemingly waiting for hurricanes to hit the region which will only make the crisis worse?

Obama’s acceptance of international help is too little, too late – over two months late to be exact.

We now learn that he is starting the process of allowing international help, a process that will take weeks or months and will likely be strangled and restricted by the EPA anyway.

Foreign ships have been prevented from helping in the clean up process. Every effort has been made to stop outside involvement in the situation and almost everything we learn about the crisis comes directly from BP or the federal government. This strictly enforced cover-up shows that authorities are more concerned about protecting their information lock down than actually cleaning up the spill.

Obama initially blocked international help, citing the Jones Act, which forbids foreign ships from operating between U.S. ports, and thereby preventing the use of sophisticated technology which foreign firms insist could have sealed the leak.

The Jones Act can be waived in in cases of national emergencies or in cases of strategic interest. Belgian company DEME contends that it has the specialist vessels to fix the oil leak within two to four months, technology the U.S. does not have. By taking bids on a contract to fix the oil leak from international companies, Obama could have the problem solved within a matter of weeks, but he immediately refused the help of “thirteen entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance within about two weeks of the Horizon rig explosion.” This is another clear example of the government’s motivation to allow the crisis to drag on indefinitely until they can use it to ram through their carbon tax agenda.

Obama’s two month delay in refusing international help ensured that the window of opportunity was missed to fix the leak before the start of the hurricane season, which will make the crisis immeasurably worse.

(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)

“Hurricane Alex, which strengthened overnight from a tropical storm, is heading for the coastline near the Texas-Mexico border and is starting to churn oil from the massive BP spill on to beaches along the Gulf of Mexico,” reports MarketWatch.

Why did Obama reject all the help he could get unless the federal government wants the crisis to get worse so it can exploit the hysteria surrounding the issue to push its ultimate goal of imposing a consumption tax on the American people?

How will imposing a carbon tax fix the oil spill? It won’t, but by exploiting the crisis in the name of ‘reducing our dependence on oil’, the government will seek to raise prices, much to the glee of companies like BP who are founding members of the cap and trade lobby. Reducing your dependence on oil means reducing your ability to fill your tank because it will be so much more expensive once the carbon tax is in place.

Indeed, BP has been a faithful supporter of John Kerry’s climate legislation because the company has “explicitly backed” a “higher gas tax”. If Obama is able to exploit the oil spill to ram through his cap and trade program, BP stands to profit to the tune of billions. Allowing the crisis to worsen in pursuit of this goal is mutually beneficial to both the Obama administration and British Petroleum.

Obama has now indicated that he will push for cap and trade to be added to a weaker energy bill after the mid-term elections in November. Every week that the oil spill crisis drags on, Obama’s political capital for the purpose of pushing a carbon tax increases.

The government has every interest in seeing the crisis worsen, not merely to justify cap and trade but also to mothball plans for new exploratory oil drilling in the Arctic, something to which the administration had never wanted to fully commit. As a result of the oil spill, which every action of the federal government has made worse, that drilling has now been postponed.

As we have documented, every action on behalf of the feds has been about delaying and hampering the response to the oil spill. This, allied to the abundant evidence of deliberate negligence and even sabotage of the oil well, makes it clear to any rational observer that it’s in the best interests of both BP and the federal government to let the crisis roll on indefinitely

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

And on and on and on it goes...Texas...Lake Pontchartrain...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100706/ap_ ... _oil_spill

dime in the gutter

speaking of lafayette, la.

bro is on it.