Upcoming Movies

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Upcoming Movies

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Re: Upcoming Movies

Post by bovine knievel »

South Texas Soul: The San Antonio Sound – Augie Meyers, Doug Sahm and the history and influence of South Texas on popular music of today. Documentary filmmaker Tracy Ready examines the influence of German, Polish and Irish immigrants in South Texas on popular music styles including Country, Tejano, Blues and Rock and Roll, from a unique perspective.

Musician Augie Meyers has taken the music of San Antonio to audiences the world over through performances and recordings dating back to the 1950’s. His long list of credits include Grammy award winning albums and extensive touring with Sir Douglas Quintet and Texas Tornados, solo albums dating back to the early 1970’s, motion picture soundtracks, and performance credits on landmark albums for a host of influential American musicians including Bob Dylan, Doug Sahm and John Hammond, Jr.

Meyers’ life as the son of Polish immigrants, who grew up in the multi-cultural melting pot that is San Antonio and then took that sound to the world, is the central focal point of the documentary, but the story begins much earlier.

The South Texas Soul will follow the story and musical influence of the earliest European immigrants to Texas, and carry it through to the modern age. The film will weave interviews and insights from working musicians of today, historians and fans with archival photos and rare performance footage. It traces the earliest entry of the accordion to the south Texas to the story of Augie Meyers, the Sir Douglas Quintet, and the Texas Tornados, and beyond to a new generation of the South Texas sound, carried on by such artists as Los Lonely Boys, Charlie and Bruce Robison, Robert Earl Keen and Shawn Sahm’s Tex-Mex Experience.

Tracy Ready will write, direct and produce the documentary in High Definition (1080 24p) with archival footage and photos from the past.

STATUS ANALYSIS:

Initial principal interviews were conducted in San Antonio in 2008 with Augie Meyers and Jim Beal, Jr. historian and music writer for San Antonio Express News. Additional footage of Augie in session recording his current solo album at Blue Cat Studios was also acquired as a starting point for the film.

Included also in the film will be never before seen interview and performance footage of Augie Meyers in an interview with Tracy Ready in 1989.

Tracy would like to thank Shawn Sahm and Clay Meyers and their families for their assistance in this project.

Support the making of this film with tax deductible donation to Still Kickin’ Foundation, a 501 C-3 non profit organization dedicated to capturing the stories of older Americans who have done great things late in life.
Please visit: Still Kickin’ Foundation

Thanks for watching, and for your support.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

True Grit looks fantastic. Jeff Bridges is on a roll.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Daniel Day-Lewis Will Be Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln

Ladies and gentlemen, here's your Lincoln.
Samir Hussein/Getty Images For what seems like forever, director Steven Spielberg has talked about wanting to do a biopic on Abraham Lincoln from a script by "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner. But for the past decade, Spielberg has instead focused on other projects while Liam Neeson remained committed to playing our 16th president. When Neeson announced this summer that he was finally leaving the project, that seemed to be the end of it ever happening, but now the film is very much back on track: Daniel Day-Lewis is going to play Lincoln.

While Neeson would have a made a great Lincoln, we think Day-Lewis is just about a perfect choice: He has just the right amount of humanity, gravitas and charisma to play the most admired and worshipped (and therefore scrutinized) of all presidents. It's a major role in a major film by a major filmmaker, which means that audience expectations will be set ridiculously high, so you want someone who's got the chops to pull it off. He proved himself in Oscar-winning roles in "My Left Foot" and "There Will Be Blood," picking up additional Oscar nominations for his work in films including "In the Name of the Father" and "Gangs of New York." And after the debacle of "Nine," Day-Lewis needs to return to the type of full-bodied character portrayals he's known for, like "There Will Be Blood." This Lincoln project should do just that for the notoriously reclusive actor who has been known to go into seclusion for years following a film (he took off four full years after "My Left Foot").

The film, based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" biography about Lincoln's battles with his White House Cabinet during the Civil War between 1861-1865, profiles the clashes brought about by the nation's turmoil. The Wrap reports that Spielberg will be shooting the film in the fall of next year. In other words, Spielberg will start the Lincoln project just before his next two movies will be coming out: the World War I drama "War Horse" and "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn." There had been some thought his next assignment after those two would be the apocalyptic sci-fi film "Robopocalypse", but it appears Spielberg will now be focusing on 19th century history before he turns his attention to the dystopian future. And now he's got arguably the best actor on the planet by his side to make this long-awaited film finally happen

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/169-d ... am-lincoln

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Erdlivz wrote:True Grit looks fantastic. Jeff Bridges is on a roll.

Was thinking the same thing. And Cowboys and Aliens looks pretty good, def an interesting movie.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Does the world need a remake of TRUE GRIT? really? I mean, its JOHN WAYNE Ferchrissakes!!!!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Steve French wrote:Does the world need a remake of TRUE GRIT? really? I mean, its JOHN WAYNE Ferchrissakes!!!!

Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis do Lincoln?!! Ummmm, yeah, I'd say high expectations are going to be a problem, lol: I'm ready to buy a ticket right now.

Which reminds me: Did u hear the one about Lincoln being Jewish? Of all the stupid shit my father sends me (hey! there's an idea for a tv show: @#$% My Father Sends Me) this was by far the stupidest, though somewhat funny in its stupidity and pseudo-serious, pseudo-academic "research."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok so I'm an old DC comics geek and my favorite character ever was Green Lantern. This is still a way away (next summer) but it looks awesome:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so I'm an old DC comics geek and my favorite character ever was Green Lantern. This is still a way away (next summer) but it looks awesome:

fuck. yes.

that looks SO cool.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Beebs wrote:
Steve French wrote:Does the world need a remake of TRUE GRIT? really? I mean, its JOHN WAYNE Ferchrissakes!!!!

Whoa. Intense.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

That's what I thought when I first heard of it - but it looks pretty awesome. Check out some trailers.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

dam straight
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From what I understand, True Grit isn't a remake of the original movie but like the first True Grit, it's based on the novel by Charles Portis.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Steve French wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so I'm an old DC comics geek and my favorite character ever was Green Lantern. This is still a way away (next summer) but it looks awesome:

fuck. yes.

that looks SO cool.

I was reading a comic book message board about this film and the main complaint about this trailer was that there was too much CGI. The best retort I saw to that was that, sure, those folks were right and they should have done a better job finding actors that looked like these characters:

Got a kick of that.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

^^^ LOL
is John C. Reilly in that trailer?
I'm more of a Marvel/Image comics geek myself

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:^^^ LOL
is John C. Reilly in that trailer?
I'm more of a Marvel/Image comics geek myself

Don't see John C. Reilly in the cast.

Captain America is next year too I think.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

interested in seeing Captain America for sure - I heard there was gonna be a new Dr. Strange movie..
on the DC front, I know The Dark Knight rises is next in line, but I would love a (rated R) adaptation of Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

maybe Batman: Year One, too

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:interested in seeing Captain America for sure - I heard there was gonna be a new Dr. Strange movie..
on the DC front, I know The Dark Knight rises is next in line, but I would love a (rated R) adaptation of Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns..

there's been talk of an animated version of The Dark Knight Returns. DC has been adapting a lot of their classic stories to animation and making them for adult audiences. It might end up there. The animated film Justice League: The New Frontier, set in the early 1960's is outstanding.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just found this:

Batman: Year One
As confirmed by Comics Continuum, a future film in the series will be an adaptation of Frank Miller's story "Batman: Year One" from 1987 in the main Batman title, featured in issues #404-407. It will be co-directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery. A release date of September 27, 2011 has been reported for the film.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

awesome! Frank Miller's been doing some directing, maybe he'll be involved somehow.
I just looked it up and saw this on wikipedia:
Batman: Year One This was co-written and was due to be directed by Darren Aronofsky until Warner Bros. cancelled the project opting for Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins.

but your news blurb is probably more recent; god I would've loved to see Darren Aronofsky at the helm...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:awesome! Frank Miller's been doing some directing, maybe he'll be involved somehow.
I just looked it up and saw this on wikipedia:
Batman: Year One This was co-written and was due to be directed by Darren Aronofsky until Warner Bros. cancelled the project opting for Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins.

but your news blurb is probably more recent; god I would've loved to see Darren Aronofsky at the helm...

This one is animated. they did kill the big screen version.