Calvin & Hobbes

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ChicoHarris

Calvin & Hobbes

Post by ChicoHarris »

My mother doesn't hand out compliments. Not to me, anyway.
However, she is quick to compliment my friends: "That Lucky Pierre is a genuinely good person."
I can think of only one compliment she ever gave me, and it was a good one. She told me, several times, that Calvin in "Calvin and Hobbes" was me when I was little boy. The comic strip ran in thousands of newspapers all over the world, but for only 10 years. The strip was wildly popular when cartoonist Bill Watterson retired it. I was one of those who thought it was daily genius.
My mom called me many times and asked, "Have you read Calvin and Hobbes today? That is exactly you when you were little."
I thought it was a wonderful compliment, but not sure mom meant it as such.

The first Calvin and Hobbes strip was published 25 years ago yesterday. Here it is:
http://calvinethobbes.free.fr/english/c_prem.html

In this 4 second video, note what time the chick fall off the speeding motorcycle onto the pavement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI7gk9Gn ... r_embedded

beantownbubba

Re: Calvin & Hobbes

Post by beantownbubba »

LOVE Calvin & Hobbes!!!

As a parent, I suspect your mom was not complimenting you. Been there, done that ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.

Best comic strip ever. Doonesbury and The Far Side close behind.
If you don't run you rust

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

wow..
it just doesn't seem like it was 25 years ago.
i remember calvin and hobbes from the get go.
i loved spaceman spaceman spiff.
but, my fave would be the things he did with snowmen.
funny stuff.
i have memories of waiting for the "paper lady" to run just for the comics.
fuck the news, it was always bad.
the comics brought smiles.
we're all just humans being.

garnersound

Post by garnersound »

Last edited by garnersound on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we're all just humans being.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

Dog Herman and I were walking down the sidewalk steps on Lamar Avenue right at Chevron chicken on a stick. Out of that litter can that sits there by the Faulkner historical marker popped a healthy squirrel with a full-length pizza stick in its mouth. The little dude froze when he saw us. It was a stare-down... me, Herman, and the squirrel, who I called Mac. Herman has spent plenty of time in the woods, but much more in cities and towns, so I wasn't sure if he was more interested in Mac or the pizza stick.
Suddenly, Mac made a break for it, with the pizza stick perfectly mouth-clamped in the middle, down on the sidewalk and up the tree right there that Faulkner's dad might have planted.
We watched as Mac shot up through the limbs and branches to a high spot, where he stopped and started gnawing on that pizza stick. For a moment, I wondered what Faulkner would have written about the scene, but then just wondered if I was in fact in a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Calvin and Hobbes was a big part of my childhood. Calvin and I were kindred spirits, and I took inspiration from him on a daily basis.

To this day, when I'm having a shitty day, I bust out my extensive collection of Calvin & Hobbes anthologies and forget about what pisses me off.

Tied with the incredible Bloom County for my favorite comic of all time. And yes, most of my exposure to Bloom County was through anthologies after the strip ended, as I was born in '85, when it was in it's hey day.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.