Pets

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Pets

Post by Clams »

Those are some great dog pics today, folks.
If you don't run you rust

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Clams wrote:Those are some great dog pics today, folks.

Tell me about it...Geez, not only does DBT have the best-looking fans, but they've also got the best-lookin pooches

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

I've been contemplating getting the wife a French Bulldog. Thoughts?

Clams

Post by Clams »

mgsooner wrote:I've been contemplating getting the wife a French Bulldog. Thoughts?

No! More later.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:
mgsooner wrote:I've been contemplating getting the wife a French Bulldog. Thoughts?

No! More later.

Mrs Clams' cousin has a Frenchy named Homer. Homer's only about 15 lbs but he's a vicious dog. He bites, snarls, barks, growls, etc. They have to lock him in the bathroom when guests come over and you can hear him barking and growling behind the door. Homer's downright nasty. He gives me nightmares. Also, my boss has two Frenchies, Pearl and Hazel. Pearl is okay but Hazel's a nut. No offense to any Frenchy owners, but I'd stay away.

Emily

Post by Emily »

My roommate just got a kitten. His name is Odin and he's super cute. Proof:

she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Clams wrote:
Clams wrote:

No! More later.

Mrs Clams' cousin has a Frenchy named Homer. Homer's only about 15 lbs but he's a vicious dog. He bites, snarls, barks, growls, etc. They have to lock him in the bathroom when guests come over and you can hear him barking and growling behind the door. Homer's downright nasty. He gives me nightmares. Also, my boss has two Frenchies, Pearl and Hazel. Pearl is okay but Hazel's a nut. No offense to any Frenchy owners, but I'd stay away.

thanks for the input clams. Let me give you a little background on myself: I didn't grow up having pets. My mother is major league OCD and was obsessed with cleanliness. As such, she detested animals inside the home and ridiculed those that had them. I certainly don't feel that strongly but I'm certainly not what you would consider a "pet person". That being said, if I'm going to have a pet I would want it to be very chill and very low maintenance. There's nothing that annoys me more than going over to someone's house and having their dog go crazy the entire time I'm there.

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Bulldogs fart - alot.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

Clams

Post by Clams »

mgsooner wrote:thanks for the input clams. Let me give you a little background on myself: I didn't grow up having pets. My mother is major league OCD and was obsessed with cleanliness. As such, she detested animals inside the home and ridiculed those that had them. I certainly don't feel that strongly but I'm certainly not what you would consider a "pet person". That being said, if I'm going to have a pet I would want it to be very chill and very low maintenance. There's nothing that annoys me more than going over to someone's house and having their dog go crazy the entire time I'm there.

Mrs Clams grew up the same way. Since we got together, we've just about always had a dog. There are certain breeds that are low maintenance and some that are high. Most larger dogs usually need more exercise and therefore require more maintenance. My brother used to have two basset hounds. They were lazy as all fuck, very low maintenance. good luck finding what you want.

SmashedinNashville

Post by SmashedinNashville »

Not to be Debbie Downer (because I'm getting so good at it these days) but Middle Tennessee shelters are seriously overwhelmed right now. If any of you are thinking about adding family members, maybe check out our areas if you have a certain type of pet in mind. Because I'm awesome, I would even foster the pet until you could come pick him/her up. :D

There are so many dogs and cats (and horses and turtles and fish!) that have been displaced from flooding. People are living in shelters now, so they can't exactly take care of their pets. And these aren't just average stray mutt dogs. Some pets are probably expensive breeds (sorry but I'm partial to my mutt puppy. She came with a Cooley Bird tattoo). We're thinking about finding a sister for her, so we're in the market for another pooch as well.

Just think. You could have your very own Tennessee bred mutt puppy or kitten. (And bragging rights because they survived a catastrophic flood and the costliest disaster to hit Tennessee since the Civil War. :lol: )
http://www.nashvillehumane.org
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TN172.html
http://www.rutherfordcounty.org/pets/

Just an idea.

Why Henry Drinks

Post by Why Henry Drinks »

this is my english bulldog....her name is precious

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

redsoxnation247 wrote:Image

this is my english bulldog....her name is precious

What a face!!!! She is beautiful!!! and she looks so very hugable!!! and lovable!!!!

Why Henry Drinks

ever since i got this dog i feel like i have it all shes the most awesome dog ever

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

http://www.southeastbloodhoundrescue.net/available%20list.htm

Get a bloodhound!

Seriously though. Whatever you do, please adopt a rescue!
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Why Henry Drinks

She is a rescue dog. It's a long story but I'll share if you'd like.

The Black Canary

redsoxnation247 wrote:She is a rescue dog. It's a long story but I'll share if you'd like.

You can share it over a beer when you get back up north, love a good rescue story. see you soon

bigblockdodge

Post by bigblockdodge »

Here's my yellow Lab Jake - great dog.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Are anyone else's dogs afraid of thunderstorms? I've just noticed this in Lena lately. My roommates dog doesn't seem to be bothered at all, but mine hunkers down at my feet in a storm now. Not sure what brought it on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Why Henry Drinks

Canary what watering hole do you like in Boston?

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Are anyone else's dogs afraid of thunderstorms? I've just noticed this in Lena lately. My roommates dog doesn't seem to be bothered at all, but mine hunkers down at my feet in a storm now. Not sure what brought it on.

My folks have a black lab that is absolutely scared shitless from thunderstorms. She shakes and quivers and thinks she's hiding, but in actuality she is laying in the corner with her head hid behind a floor-length curtain. 4th of July is a whole other kit and kaboodle...the overabundance of sounds makes her completely lose her shit and she tears around the yard like a rabid beast. They even tried drugging her, but it couldn't fight her level of crazy.

The Black Canary

redsoxnation247 wrote:Canary what watering hole do you like in Boston?

I work in Back Bay and anything in the area is ok with me.

SmashedinNashville

Post by SmashedinNashville »

Our pyrenees/black lab mix is terrified of storms too.

That is the only time she will chew things to pieces, if we leave her at home during a storm.

She's eaten 5 pairs of flip flops and 2 pairs of heels, so far.
We finally figured out why and how to help her, so it's not a problem anymore.

It's so funny to see such a huge dog be terrified of something that isn't going to hurt them (at least not right away).
She will crawl in your lap and want you to hold all 80 lbs.

God, I love dogs.

The Black Canary

SmashedinNashville wrote:Our pyrenees/black lab mix is terrified of storms too.

That is the only time she will chew things to pieces, if we leave her at home during a storm.

She's eaten 5 pairs of flip flops and 2 pairs of heels, so far.
We finally figured out why and how to help her, so it's not a problem anymore.

It's so funny to see such a huge dog be terrified of something that isn't going to hurt them (at least not right away).
She will crawl in your lap and want you to hold all 80 lbs.

God, I love dogs.

My pitbull was the same way(God rest her soul, just put her down 2 days before xmas) She was almost 15. Until she became hard of hearing, she would howl and shake, and so wanted to be snuggled with her head burried under your arm, with one eye peeking out. She really was a hoot!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Both our chocolate lab and my inlaws' golden retriever, both gone now, were terrified of storms, especially the retriever, which is actually what killed her: She used to get really crazy during storms, but instead of hunkering down, she'd get wild, couldn't be still and would often bolt through any open door or window, and once thru a closed glass door. Well, one time she bolted right into the path of a moving car :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That's sad Beantown. My last Doberman got out during a storm, there were five dogs living here at the time, and did the same thing. She survived though, had two plates in her hip and half a foot but she lived to 13.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:Both our chocolate lab and my inlaws' golden retriever, both gone now, were terrified of storms, especially the retriever, which is actually what killed her: She used to get really crazy during storms, but instead of hunkering down, she'd get wild, couldn't be still and would often bolt through any open door or window, and once thru a closed glass door. Well, one time she bolted right into the path of a moving car :(

Best dog i ever had, Jake, wire hair terrier/jackrussell mix, would completely lose his head. Always stayed inside, because every now & then when he would get out he refused to come back til he was damn good & ready. July 13,2008,he had gotten out that evening. At about 11:00 I decided to turn in, went to the front door to let him in. He came up the drive way, then got distracted by a neighbor's dog out in the road and ran up there to fuck with it. Hot summer night, so I just yelled at him that he could just sleep out it the heat tonight if he was gonna be like that. Last time I ever saw him. Lightning & thunder woke me up about 2:00 next morning, I jumped up immediately thinking (hoping) the storm had just moved in. Maybe he'd still be by the door trying to get in. Nope. Gone. Not seen since. Put up flyers, including reward, had everyone from the dog catcher to the mayor looking out for him, everyone knew him cuz he came to the shop to work with me every day. Had him 7 years and it still pains me to think of what may have happened to him. Sorry bout the length of this, but it obviously struck a nerve with me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote: Sorry bout the length of this, but it obviously struck a nerve with me.

People 'round here have written a lot more about a lot less. Not that i would know any of 'em. Sorry for your loss pardner.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

4sooner wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Both our chocolate lab and my inlaws' golden retriever, both gone now, were terrified of storms, especially the retriever, which is actually what killed her: She used to get really crazy during storms, but instead of hunkering down, she'd get wild, couldn't be still and would often bolt through any open door or window, and once thru a closed glass door. Well, one time she bolted right into the path of a moving car :(

Best dog i ever had, Jake, wire hair terrier/jackrussell mix, would completely lose his head. Always stayed inside, because every now & then when he would get out he refused to come back til he was damn good & ready. July 13,2008,he had gotten out that evening. At about 11:00 I decided to turn in, went to the front door to let him in. He came up the drive way, then got distracted by a neighbor's dog out in the road and ran up there to fuck with it. Hot summer night, so I just yelled at him that he could just sleep out it the heat tonight if he was gonna be like that. Last time I ever saw him. Lightning & thunder woke me up about 2:00 next morning, I jumped up immediately thinking (hoping) the storm had just moved in. Maybe he'd still be by the door trying to get in. Nope. Gone. Not seen since. Put up flyers, including reward, had everyone from the dog catcher to the mayor looking out for him, everyone knew him cuz he came to the shop to work with me every day. Had him 7 years and it still pains me to think of what may have happened to him. Sorry bout the length of this, but it obviously struck a nerve with me.

I'm sorry buddy. :( We have two bloodhounds that would take off if we let them out anywhere other than the backyard. They'd catch a scent and that would be the end of it. Scares me to death to think about it.

I like to think that there really is a Rainbow Bridge for our furbabies that aren't with us anymore.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

The Black Canary

I have been contemplating getting a companion cat for my Coon Al. Now that the other two cats and my pit-bull are all in furry heaven. I went to the ASPCA adoption site and dam they want anywhere between $200-300 to adopt a cat!!! When I got Al he was $65 and I threw in an extra $35 as a donation. But $200 is a big price. Usually I just open the door and something will come limping in looking for a home, but the fisher cats in the area have been taking a toll on the feral cat population lately. I am one of those people that prefers to take in something missing an eye, a foot (peanut was missing a foot found her living out of a dumpster) & (Mr B was mildly retarded from starvation from living in the woods, he was cross-eyed, but a beauty none-the-less) and apparently according to friends I have a thing for ugly pets. But screw them beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone, everything has something beautiful about them, with or without a foot, an eye or green with orange spots. Everything is beautiful!!!!

Though I must admit if I had my way I would have a cow or two living on my property. There is something so incredible about those big brown eyes that just draws you into to them.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

4bride has 2 teacup chihuahuas:
Buggie- the good one 8 yrs old
Beanie-the asshole (she couldn't stay if she had any size on her) 3 yrs old

Mine:
Elwood-Schnocker-Schnauzer/Cocker mix-5 yrs old
Otis-Black Lab/Great Dane mix-130 lbs. He just showed up at my shop one week running with a pack of strays. We set some water out for them-this was in the heat of last summer- rest of dogs drank and ran off. Otis, however, came up front, found my office, and laid his big wet head in my lap. Dog catcher was there later that day rounding up the strays, I just shrugged and told him this one was mine. He weighed 85# then. When we took him to the vet we were told "this dog's still a puppy. He's gonna be a monster"! Still has alot of puppy in him but in the body of a BIG dog.

4soonerette's 6th birthday present
Boomer-Vietnamese pot-bellied pig. About 200#, 6 yrs old, lowest maintenance pet we have.