BBQ (and grilling) Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Hud

Re: BBQ Thread

Post by Hud »

bovine knievel wrote:
Beebs wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:This

Turned into this

Damn those ribs look good, TC!

BK, is that grilled guac? Cause if so, holy fuckballs.

indeed

recipe here.

Thanks for link Bovine, some fine looking guacamole
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

BK - thanks for the inspiration. I just grilled some avocados, couple thick slices of tomato, a couple serrano peppers, thick onion slices and some corn and made the best guacamole we've enjoyed in months. it went really good with the salsa verde made from my fresh tomatillos and the london broil marinated in adobo citrus marinade. Only problem is I ate too fast.

bovine knievel wrote:This

Turned into this

Damn those ribs look good, TC!
Cocaine rich comes quick, and that's why the small dicks have it all.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm thinking about smoking a couple of whole chickens this week and shred the meat for salads and sandwiches. Anybody have a suggestion on the wood? I'm thinking cherry, but I have apple on hand if that would work.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm thinking about smoking a couple of whole chickens this week and shred the meat for salads and sandwiches. Anybody have a suggestion on the wood? I'm thinking cherry, but I have apple on hand if that would work.

Ooooh, I really like the results I get from Cherry, although I've never used it for chicken. Here are a couples slabs of Ribs I smoked with cherry a few weeks back.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I used apple when I smoked a couple whole chickens this past weekend and they turned out great. It's my go-to for chicken.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Pecan wood is also great for chicken. Pecan and fig are a very nice combination and gives you a little variety if you use hickory, cherry, or apple on your pork.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

olwiggum wrote:Pecan wood is also great for chicken. Pecan and fig are a very nice combination and gives you a little variety if you use hickory, cherry, or apple on your pork.

I have a pecan tree and have been using the wood for smoking everything. I really like the mellow smoke flavor.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Son of a bitch! I should have known there was a BBQ tread on 3DD...

I live in an apartment in downtown Denver and w propane/charcoal restrictions I have to use an electric smoker. But hey, at least I'm smoking meat! I feel like the electric doesn't provide that bark that most smoked meat deserves so I keep it simple with ribs, pok butts, poultry and sausage. I don't think the Masterbuilt would do a brisket justice. My buddies and I have decided to dedicate these next three Sundays to meat, beer and the Olympics. From breakfast until sundown: meat, beer and the USA!

Not sure that it's a new idea or anything but I came up with a great spin on doing grilled jalapenos. I got a stand where they rest upright (for about 30 min over indirect heat) anyway, the trick I really dig is cooking (baking, in my case) the bacon before, getting it real crisp and crumbling it into the creamcheese mixture. I prefer this to wrapping the jalapenos as I've had a hard time getting the bacon crispy enough without overcooking the jalapenos.

Happy to know this page exists!
Last edited by Gaetzi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Tequilla Cowboy, do you brine your chickens before smoking? I guess it's more a question for the group. I did a little side by side comparison last month (both dry rubbed and smoked w wood from Western Slope peach trees) and no question, the brined bird had more flavor and moisture.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:Tequilla Cowboy, do you brine your chickens before smoking? I guess it's more a question for the group. I did a little side by side comparison last month (both dry rubbed and smoked w wood from Western Slope peach trees) and no question, the brined bird had more flavor and moisture.

All things being equal I would brine every time but I try to watch my sodium intake as much as I can so I often don't do it. It absolutely makes for a much moister bird.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

This is the recipe that I use for white sauce. It's awesome on chicken and I like it on pulled pork also.

ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE
Mix the following together until nice and smooth:
• 2 cups mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (white vinegar, if you must)
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tblsp ground black pepper (fresh peppercorns, recently ground)
• 2 tblsp salt
• 1/4 -1/2 tsp Cayenne
This recipe makes a TON of sauce. You can split it in half and still have plenty of sauce for the family.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thanks for the recipe, olwiggum! Just copied it into a word doc and will give it a go next time I smoke a pork butt.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:Thanks for the recipe, olwiggum! Just copied it into a word doc and will give it a go next time I smoke a pork butt.

Olwiggum posted the recipe a few years ago (may have been on 9B) and I can attest that it's the bomb. Amazing on chicken but damned good on a pulled pork sandwich as well. Thanks for posting it again.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

olwiggum wrote:This is the recipe that I use for white sauce. It's awesome on chicken and I like it on pulled pork also.

ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE
• 2 cups mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tblsp salt
• 1/4 -1/2 tsp Cayenne
This recipe makes a TON of sauce. You can split it in half and still have plenty of sauce for the family.

This may be sacrilege to an Alabaman such as yourself olwiggum, but I'm smoking some chickens today and am going to try to lighten this recipe up just a tad. I'm going to use a combination of light mayo and a bit of non fat yogurt which will probably make me cut back on the vinegar and lemon juice a bit due the tartness of the yogurt. I'll let you know how it turns out.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Please do, TC. I started a low carb diet 2 weeks ago and was wondering about this recipe. I'm eating a lot of chicken lately and it would be nice to be able to make this sauce work for the diet.

I'm gonna have to ease up on the weekends in a few weeks, though. Football season is right around the corner and I'll be firing up the smoker quite a bit more.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Couldn't remember if this had been posted here or not, but it's funny and informative.

Grillin' ain't barbecue, y'all. :D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

BBQ is not a verb

olwiggum
Site Admin

Re: BBQ (and grilling) Thread

Post by olwiggum »

I changed the name of the thread to reflect the grilling aspect of some of the posts here. The BBQ purist in me has been biting my tongue for a while. It must be the Northerners posting grilled items and calling it BBQ. :lol:

I love me some grillin' too, but it ain't BBQ.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

They took away everyone's grills at my compartment complex earlier this summer. It's always been against the rules but the newest management team to take over actually starting enforcing them. I was pissed at first but then realized I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's a lot of people out there that think nothing of grilling on their patios and apparently aren't willing to make the effort to push their grills out onto the lawn. Hasn't stopped me from missing grilling out though.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

olwiggum wrote:This is the recipe that I use for white sauce. It's awesome on chicken and I like it on pulled pork also.

ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE
• 2 cups mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tblsp salt
• 1/4 -1/2 tsp Cayenne

Just made a lighter version of this. Tastes decent but the chicken isn't done yet so that's the real test. Here's what I did:

• 1 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
• 3/4 cup non fat yogurt
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 2 tblsp brown sugar
• 2 tblsp Truvia
• 2 tblsp salt
• 1/4 -1/2 tsp Cayenne

Cuts out quite a bit of fat and a bit of the sugar by using the Truvia.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I shoulda snapped a pic or two, but I grilled a mean flank steak with a dirty chimichurri sauce a few nights ago.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

olwiggum wrote:
Couldn't remember if this had been posted here or not, but it's funny and informative.

Grillin' ain't barbecue, y'all. :D

:lol:

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Thanks for the heads-up on the lighter sauce. I need to make a grocery store run to pick up some items for the lighter version.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

My 'go to' sauce for smoked, pulled chicken is sweet pickle juice and mustard. So damn good.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

olwiggum wrote:I changed the name of the thread...

Will you change the LJ & Zip thread to political shits thread?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:I shoulda snapped a pic or two, but I grilled a mean flank steak with a dirty chimichurri sauce a few nights ago.

Unfamiliar with "dirty chimichurri"although I've never met a chimichurri I didn't like. What's the scoop?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The finished chicken and sauce, red quinoa salad with cucumber, red pepper and basil and some multi colored slaw. Delicious.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Kudzu, I also have grill restrictions at my building but they do allow the 1 lb green propane tanks (and natural gas lines, which I don't have. Unfortunately) It's not ideal but if the 1 lb'ers are allowed you should get the Weber Baby-Q. It's not ideal but 1) it's better than nothing! and 2) It's portable which makes it great for tailgates, etc

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gaetzi wrote:Kudzu, I also have grill restrictions at my building but they do allow the 1 lb green propane tanks (and natural gas lines, which I don't have. Unfortunately) It's not ideal but if the 1 lb'ers are allowed you should get the Weber Baby-Q. It's not ideal but 1) it's better than nothing! and 2) It's portable which makes it great for tailgates, etc

Thanks. The restrictions here are that no grills are allowed on your patio. You can keep the grill (as well as the propane tank) in your apartment, just not on your patio. Seems rather strange but those are the rules. I wasn't happy that management confiscated my grill and tank but it was only so that they wouldn't be fined by the city of Raleigh. Apparently someone just around the corner from me was grilling on their patio earlier this summer and caught the balcony overhead on fire. They can outlaw grills but no one's ever going to be able to outlaw stupidity. In that sense, I understand why it's a city wide ordinance that no grills are allowed at apartment complexes.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Well that's dumb, sorry to hear it. As much as I love the smell of grilled meat I don't know anyone that would want the inside of their apartment smelling like 'old grill'.