BBQ (and grilling) Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlysnaps

BBQ (and grilling) Thread

Post by pearlysnaps »

well, I see the non-BBQ cooking thread is revived, so I have to bring this one back too. I haven't smoked any delicious meats in about a month, but I figured a few pictures would get things started:

mmmmm butts

pulled

rrrrrribs

olwiggum
Site Admin

Re: BBQ Thread

Post by olwiggum »

Thanks for kicking this one up again. It's been a few weeks since I've fired up the smoker as well. I did some cherry-glazed ribs not too long ago, but I don't think I took any pictures of those. I experimented with wings and drumsticks a couple of times in the last few months as well.

Have you guys made Atomic Buffalo Turds? Oh, so good...

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

olwiggum wrote:Have you guys made Atomic Buffalo Turds? Oh, so good...

I make em without the lil smokies, so I guess they're not turds. But, concur, oh so good.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Got a Kentucky Derby party I'm headed to Saturday. Gonna pull out three racks of baby back ribs I plan on rubbing, mopping, and slow cooking for 3 hours on the old Weber. Pure coals and chips. No fucking lighter fluid. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:Got a Kentucky Derby party I'm headed to Saturday. Gonna pull out three racks of baby back ribs I plan on rubbing, mopping, and slow cooking for 3 hours on the old Weber. Pure coals and chips. No fucking lighter fluid. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Sounds excellent. Lighter fluid is a barbecue sin if you ask me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Got a Kentucky Derby party I'm headed to Saturday. Gonna pull out three racks of baby back ribs I plan on rubbing, mopping, and slow cooking for 3 hours on the old Weber. Pure coals and chips. No fucking lighter fluid. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Essentially is poison. Don't get me started on gas grills...
- DPM

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

nice rack, hehe!
make sure and take pix.
NSFW

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Essentially is poison. Don't get me started on gas grills...

The gas grill is very handy....for helping clean off the grates of my smoker after I'm done. 8-) Just crank the gasser up, put the grate on it for 10 -15 minutes or so, and then all that pork but grease is turned to a dusty char that scrapes right off.

And, starter fluid, don't get me started...there's no need for it when a starter chimney does a better, quicker, and less toxic job doing it.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Have you guys been to Sam's Club in your area lately? I've been getting 40 pounds of lump charcoal for 15 bucks for the last few months there. I read on a BBQ forum that the brand is different in a few stores, but most Sam's seem to carry it right now. I hope they keep it! That's a great deal.

cortez the killer

pearlysnaps wrote:The gas grill is very handy....for helping clean off the grates of my smoker after I'm done. 8-) Just crank the gasser up, put the grate on it for 10 -15 minutes or so, and then all that pork but grease is turned to a dusty char that scrapes right off.

And, starter fluid, don't get me started...there's no need for it when a starter chimney does a better, quicker, and less toxic job doing it.

Very nice. An outdoor "dishwasher" of sorts.

I put a healthy amount of twisted newspaper into the kettle, put the coals on the grill itself, light the paper, and let the coals "cook" for 20-30 minutes. Once "cooked," I dump em into the kettle and get grilling.
- DPM

cortez the killer

olwiggum wrote:Have you guys been to Sam's Club in your area lately? I've been getting 40 pounds of lump charcoal for 15 bucks for the last few months there. I read on a BBQ forum that the brand is different in a few stores, but most Sam's seem to carry it right now. I hope they keep it! That's a great deal.

Wow! That is a GREAT deal. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Thanks 'gum.
- DPM

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Here are some drumsticks that I smoked. I marinated them in zesty Italian dressing for several hours, applied a rub and put them on the smoker with pecan and fig wood. For the last 30 minutes they were on, I mixed a little Italian dressing with honey and brown sugar, then applied that to the drumsticks.

These are the cherry-glazed ribs that I mentioned. I forgot that I took a pic of them.

This is my first and only brisket. It's just a pic of the flat, not the point. I was very pleased with how the brisket turned out.

My first ABTs. I've done them several times since.

Pig Candy. NOM!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I cook everything of consequence over lump charcoal and wood chips or chunks, but I do have a Coleman Road Trip gas grill which I can take with me camping or whatever, or use at home for things like grilling veggies and the like when I need extra grill space. Comes in handy but hardly my method of choice.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

did some hog hinds up at trout camp last weekend....my hillbilly wheel barrel bbq
done
underneath that black was the most succulent pork....each one of those was 10lbs, we ate them both

and some trout

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I'm up already this morning. Got the smoker fired up with a 10 pound butt on it. It's been over a month since I've smoked anything. I'm going through withdrawals.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

olwiggum wrote:I'm up already this morning. Got the smoker fired up with a 10 pound butt on it. It's been over a month since I've smoked anything. I'm going through withdrawals.

do you flavor/marinade your meat with anything?

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I'm getting the smoker ready to go with some loinback ribs for this eve. Going to do a modified 3-2-1 (modified because the babyback take a bit less time than the st louis jobbers) with some apple juice. Going to whip up a basic rub for on them.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I put this rub on the butt last night and wrapped it in plastic and put it back in the fridge.
I slathered it in mustard before applying the rub.
DRY RUB
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup Paprika
• 2 tblsp coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
• 2 tblsp Black Pepper
• 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
• 2 tsp dry mustard
• 2 tsp Onion Powder
• 2 tsp Garlic Powder

I've never injected a butt until the one that I'm smoking today. I put some cider vinegar and a little water in a bowl with some of the rub that I had left. I injected it several times. I'll know how this turned out in a few hours.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

hey that's my rib rub!!

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Is it? I thought I copied that from the internet when I was researching pulled pork. I know I have your rib recipe in another document on my hard drive.

This stuff was also in the recipe for the butt rub, but I never use it, so I didn't include it in my post:
• 2 tsp Thyme Powder
• 2 tsp Sage
• 2 tsp Coriander Powder

OK. Just checked the document that has your rib rub. Here's what I had:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 table black pepper (fresh is better)
1 table salt (I use kosher or cracked)
1 table chili powder
1 table mustard powder
3/4 table garlic powder
3/4 table onion powder
1-2 tea cayenne.

It's damn near the same thing, with different proportions. I'll be damned.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

looked damn close ;)

with butts I personally use less sugar since it's smoking so much longer.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Yeah, that's mighty damn close. Maybe a couple of them are different by a 1/2 tsp or something. I guess most pork rubs are essentially the same thing anyway with the exception of a few herbs/spices.

cortez the killer

I use the exact same rub on my ribs. It's damn good.
- DPM

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Got some beef shortribs on the smoker right now. Put a basic salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder rub on. Will smoke low and slow over hickory for a few hours and then braise it in a cast iron pot with onions, carrots, garlic, and celery in beef stock for a couple more hours until the bones slide out of those biatches. Will have some sour cream and chive mashed potaters and green beans with it. I hope they turn out alright because I've never done them this way and am winging it. And I've got company coming over...oh well, if they suck I can always bust into my freezer reserve of pulled pork.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I made this after watching Good Eats.

I brined the chicken for about 12 hours. It has a mild hickory smoke and turns out so moist, its almost wet. Very tasty.

This is my first attempt at smoking a pork shoulder.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Wrekker,

How do you do your trout? Or do you just thrown them on your plank of choice?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

olwiggum wrote:Here are some drumsticks that I smoked. I marinated them in zesty Italian dressing for several hours, applied a rub and put them on the smoker with pecan and fig wood. For the last 30 minutes they were on, I mixed a little Italian dressing with honey and brown sugar, then applied that to the drumsticks.

These are the cherry-glazed ribs that I mentioned. I forgot that I took a pic of them.

This is my first and only brisket. It's just a pic of the flat, not the point. I was very pleased with how the brisket turned out.

My first ABTs. I've done them several times since.

Pig Candy. NOM!

All of that looks really, really fuckin good.
Keep calm and have a cigar

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

Flood18 wrote:Wrekker,

How do you do your trout? Or do you just thrown them on your plank of choice?

i rip the planks out of either apple or cherry with my chainsaw.
season the trout as you prefer...lemon and bacon are choice.
then i put the trout onthe plank and toss the plank on a bed of coals and top off with a wheelbarrow.
depending how well you did your coals its usualy about an hour of smoking till they are done.

oh yeah make sure to soak the planks in water overnight or they'll burn up.
the trick is to cut boardthickness and adjust the heat so the plank burns about half way through when your done cooking
that really gets the flavor into the trout.

joelle

Post by joelle »

ImageImage

in all seriousness,
i cannot cook, therefore i do not cook. :oops:
but, i love these cheap ass chips and a cold bud light lime.
i am not fancy but i'm alright.
and this particular combo feels like summer to me. i love summer. :D

myjeepsbigger

Post by myjeepsbigger »

I may get three lashings for using gas, but it is what it is.....

Venison, various peppers, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms for fajitas. Did this a couple weeks ago.