BBQ (and grilling) Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: BBQ (and grilling) Thread

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:Finger lickin' good

Nice work, BK.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

cortez the killer wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Finger lickin' good

Nice work, BK.

Nice.

Gonna grill a batch this afternoon if I can find the time. Canned some really awesome (if I do say so myself) habanero paste this summer and am gonna whip up some hot, hot sauce. I need to get burned.
Beebs is not a ragey man

nutfat

Post by nutfat »

smoked a 6 lb brisket yesterday for our annual chili contest...smelling good!!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

i still love you New York...
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Springin' forward with some lamb chops!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Going to grill up some burgers this afternoon. Making this as a topper for them.

Zesty Bleu Cheese India Pale Ale Sauce

The subtle bitterness of the hops in the IPA comes forward in the cooking process and complements the sharp cheese flavors to give the sauce a zesty bite.

Ingredients for IPA Sauce:
2 ounces butter
5 tablespoons flour
6 ounces IPA beer (room temperature and flat)
2/3 cup half-and-half (room temperature)
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
8 ounces cream cheese
12 ounces crumbled bleu cheese
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Process for IPA Sauce:
1. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter until simmering, then add flour and stir.
2. Add the IPA beer and half-and-half. Stir while simmering for 3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped chives, Dijon mustard, and cream cheese and continue stirring while simmering for 1 minute.
4. Continue to stir as you add the chunks of bleu cheese and cheddar a few ounces at a time. Wait until each addition of cheese melts into the sauce before making the next addition.
5. After the last cheese addition is fully melted, shut off heat.

Note: You can add more of the half and half as you go to thin it out a little bit.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sounds a little bit like the dipping sauce the brew pub in Northampton served w/ pretzels. Not the same, but the same general idea. I 'spect you'll be enjoying those burgers :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Anyone do flavor injection with their barbecue? I've been pretty much a dry rub guy and love that style but want to expand my horizons a bit. Are the plastic injectors OK or should I spend a few more bucks for stainless steel?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i grilled some steak tips last night and made some chimichurri sauce to go along w/ it. highly recommended!

1 cup of parsley leaves (no stems)
2 tbsp of oregano leaves
3-4 garlic cloves

run through a food processor until chopped up.

mix together a 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 tbps of red wine vinegar, and some salt and red pepper flakes to taste

drizzle that in while you pulse the food processor.

that's it. awesomesauce. literally.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:i grilled some steak tips last night and made some chimichurri sauce to go along w/ it. highly recommended!

2 tbsp of oregano leaves
3-4 garlic cloves

mix together a 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 tbps of red wine vinegar, and some salt and red pepper flakes to taste

I love chimichurri sauce. The one I typically make substitutes cilantro for oregano & includes a 1/2 Tsp or cumin.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

nice.

next time i will try the Cortez variation.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

cortez the killer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:i grilled some steak tips last night and made some chimichurri sauce to go along w/ it. highly recommended!

2 tbsp of oregano leaves
3-4 garlic cloves

I love chimichurri sauce. The one I typically make substitutes cilantro for oregano & includes a 1/2 Tsp or cumin.

Cortez, maybe this is the shirt for you! http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/im-cumin/

nutfat

Post by nutfat »

smoking up some wings and a lamb loin tomorrow...solid saturday on the horizon!!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

nutfat wrote:smoking up some wings and a lamb loin tomorrow...solid saturday on the horizon!!

Pics? Who'd it all turn out? What was your spice mix for the lamb loin?

nutfat

Post by nutfat »

the lamb never made it on the smoker..saved it for sunday brunch..used a citrus salsa verde marinade i made up on the fly... grilled it..real tasty...ended up doing jerk wings with a mango habanero preserve and a big rack of st. louis ribs..next time i fire up the smoker i will include pics and recipes..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Spied some nice beef briskets with good fat back for sale at the local market yesterday. I'm thinking about buying and smoking one. I'm more of a pork guy and the one time I did a brisket it was mediocre. I think my standard rub will work if I cut down on the sugar but does anyone have any tips? Basting? Wrapping in foil after a few hours? I know we have some pit masters round these parts.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Spied some nice beef briskets with good fat back for sale at the local market yesterday. I'm thinking about buying and smoking one. I'm more of a pork guy and the one time I did a brisket it was mediocre. I think my standard rub will work if I cut down on the sugar but does anyone have any tips? Basting? Wrapping in foil after a few hours? I know we have some pit masters round these parts.

I don't know anything about smoking but i do know a little about brisket and every recipe worth a damn I've ever seen/tasted always features lipton's onion soup mix as a key ingredient. But that may be my, ummmm, ethnic northeastern showing through.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

The only beef I've done was short ribs. I made my rub a little more emphasis on the black pepper than I would for pork. Also, I'm a subtle smoke flavor guy with pork and chicken, I'd go for a stronger smokewood like hickory or mesquite or even oak.

Also, I have done the foil wrap thing with babybacks—along with some apple or grape juice. It might be worth trying with beef, but with a heartier liquid like stock, beer, or bourbon. Just remember to return it back to the smoker without the foil to firm up the outside.

Have you gotten around to using the injector? That's something i haven't done but would like to get some real-world feedback on.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlysnaps wrote:The only beef I've done was short ribs. I made my rub a little more emphasis on the black pepper than I would for pork. Also, I'm a subtle smoke flavor guy with pork and chicken, I'd go for a stronger smokewood like hickory or mesquite or even oak.

Also, I have done the foil wrap thing with babybacks—along with some apple or grape juice. It might be worth trying with beef, but with a heartier liquid like stock, beer, or bourbon. Just remember to return it back to the smoker without the foil to firm up the outside.

Have you gotten around to using the injector? That's something i haven't done but would like to get some real-world feedback on.

I haven't tried the injector yet but I bought a plastic one to start. I'm going to to start with a pork butt (soon to be renamed Boston Roast by the Pork Council :? ) the first time I use it, if I do the beef this weekend I want to try without first to get a handle on it. I'm with you on the hickory or oak. Mesquite is tricky and never been satisfied with anything I've done with it.

I also just got a sausage stuffer to go with my Kitchenaid meat grinder so I may just experiment with some smoked sausage this weekend. I'd love to try to get the Texas sausage down as you really can't buy that anywhere outside of the Lone Star State. Seems easy enough and I've made sausage before with a manual tool. I also might be getting a hand me down larger charcoal smoker soon. Kind if looking forward to what I can do with that,

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Spied some nice beef briskets with good fat back for sale at the local market yesterday. I'm thinking about buying and smoking one. I'm more of a pork guy and the one time I did a brisket it was mediocre. I think my standard rub will work if I cut down on the sugar but does anyone have any tips? Basting? Wrapping in foil after a few hours? I know we have some pit masters round these parts.

I don't know anything about smoking but i do know a little about brisket and every recipe worth a damn I've ever seen/tasted always features lipton's onion soup mix as a key ingredient. But that may be my, ummmm, ethnic northeastern showing through.

I love a good ethnic brisket :lol: . I think you've told me that your wife can make up a mean brisket her ownself. Here I'm going for the Texas kind though so I don't think the onion soup mix works.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Made them Chicken Bombs that Porkulator posted. Here's the final product.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

I've used this guy's method and am always happy with the results. I found it years ago on a UT Football mssg board/blog so if you can put up with the inside jokes, you should be okay.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

The 2014 Barbecue and Smoking Thread (no not that kind)

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Might as well get this started. My father in law is giving me a heavy duty smoker with an offset fire box. Hoping to increase and expand my skills this year. Anybody ever create and smoke your own bacon? Olwiggum, Flea? It's high on my list.

Flea

Re: The 2014 Barbecue and Smoking Thread (no not that kind)

Post by Flea »

Haven't given much thought to the smoking season, but I have undertaken one kinda cool kitchen project this winter. I've developed my own sourdough bread starter form just a bit of rye flour and water. Been working on it since early December, quite a bit of baby-sitting and stirring and feeding. The first baking I did with it was the weekend before the Asheville shows - it was so good! I'm pretty sure if someone could mass-produce a sex toy from freshly baked bread, he would be a millionaire.
Now it's dark.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Never done my own bacon. I might have to give it a shot, though. Let me know if you do.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Might as well get this started. My father in law is giving me a heavy duty smoker with an offset fire box. Hoping to increase and expand my skills this year. Anybody ever create and smoke your own bacon? Olwiggum, Flea? It's high on my list.

I've never done bacon myself, but I know a guy who does, and it is absolutely incredible.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've studied bacon making for a few years now but really haven't had a smoker could maintain that low a temp in. I will have one soon (it's a big job so still working out how to get it here) and also Beth just bought me John Currance's new cookbook where he shares a recipe for bacon similar to what he uses at his Big Bad Breakfast in Oxford, MS. I've had that bacon and damn it's good.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

You're just gonna smoke pork belly, right?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've studied bacon making for a few years now but really haven't had a smoker could maintain that low a temp in. I will have one soon (it's a big job so still working out how to get it here) and also Beth just bought me John Currance's new cookbook where he shares a recipe for bacon similar to what he uses at his Big Bad Breakfast in Oxford, MS. I've had that bacon and damn it's good.

Are you thinking about doing a cold smoke, like commercially available bacon? Seems like the risk for botulism, toxoplasma, or, even worse, neurocysticercosis would be quite high unless you could find a trusted local farmer and butchery. Even then, you'd have to be pretty precise with handling, timing, and temperature control.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The recipes I'm looking at use a salt cure for 10-12 days and the a cold smoke at 95-105 degrees for 12 to 16 hours. It's supposed to be safe.