BBQ (and grilling) Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

porkulator

Re: BBQ (and grilling) Thread

Post by porkulator »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:57 pm
I’ll join the choir. I’ve had my WSM 22” since 2015. One suggestion is that I would upgrade the charcoal door immediately to stainless steel. Made it much easier to control the temp on the low end. I like to smoke at about 225° and I find it invaluable.
Duly noted, thanks for all the valuable info. I love Weber charcoal products.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:57 pm
I’ll join the choir. I’ve had my WSM 22” since 2015. One suggestion is that I would upgrade the charcoal door immediately to stainless steel. Made it much easier to control the temp on the low end. I like to smoke at about 225° and I find it invaluable.
I have considered ordering one of those. The original one is pretty flimsy, but I have managed to shape it somewhat to sit a bit tighter, but still observe some leakage and find it my WSM wants to run around 250 - 275 F (I always bbq in Fahrenheit, even tough Celsius is the default over here, much better result and feels more authentic when doing things i F's :lol:). Also, I usually stick a temp probe on the grate and have experienced (as reported by many) that the built in thermometer can be off by some 20-30 degrees, but I find that also depends a bit on the position (distance) of the probe in relation to the meat and if I run with water in the pan or not.

Nevertheless, have come to the conclusion that instead of trying to battle with the temps, I try to be patient and let it just go. I sometimes get temp spikes, but I suspect that may be when the wood chunks catches, and after a while it will go back down to where it was again. Managed to dig my WSM out of the snow earlier this winter and did a rib-cook on it. Planning to do some beef ribs and pork butt soon.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I have been cooking with a Weber 22 inch grill for over 20 years. Has anyone ever used this 3rd market smoker designed exactly for my grill? Looks so simple, but reviews are good.
https://www.kettlepizza.com/product/smokenator-1000/

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

oilpiers wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm
I have been cooking with a Weber 22 inch grill for over 20 years. Has anyone ever used this 3rd market smoker designed exactly for my grill? Looks so simple, but reviews are good.
https://www.kettlepizza.com/product/smokenator-1000/
I have not. I smoke whole chickens on Weber Kettle instead of the WSM (higher temps) but just do indirect with a smoker box
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We got a pellet grill last summer and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It kicks ass for either smoking or grilling and it's mostly idiot proof.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:41 am
We got a pellet grill last summer and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It kicks ass for either smoking or grilling and it's mostly idiot proof.
Which make? Pellet grills have become really popular over here and people buy them to replace their gas- and/or coal-grills for those very reasons. I thought about getting a Traeger before I eventually opted for coal (WSM and a kettle grill). I figured these days it would be nice to have something to keep me occupied as we pretty much stay in/around our own house these days anyways.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RolanK wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:48 pm
Iowan wrote:
Which make? Pellet grills have become really popular over here and people buy them to replace their gas- and/or coal-grills for those very reasons. I thought about getting a Traeger before I eventually opted for coal (WSM and a kettle grill). I figured these days it would be nice to have something to keep me occupied as we pretty much stay in/around our own house these days anyways.
It was definitely a COVID influenced purchase for us.

We got a Pit Boss brand. Not sure if they're available across the pond or not. It's the same concept as a Traeger but a fraction of the price and a lot cheaper. We've had great results with it. Since getting it in May we've done a bunch of pork butts, pork ribs, pork belly, beef brisket, chicken hindquarters, tried some deer backstrap (better off just grilling that), and also done a ton of sides like smoked asparagus, smoked queso (it's freaking incredible), smoked baked beans, and just normally grilled a bunch of stuff like bratwurst and pork chops.

You can put out BBQ (smoked meat) on par with good restaurants pretty easily.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 pm
RolanK wrote:
Iowan wrote:

We got a Pit Boss brand. Not sure if they're available across the pond or not. It's the same concept as a Traeger but a fraction of the price and a lot cheaper. We've had great results with it. Since getting it in May we've done a bunch of pork butts, pork ribs, pork belly, beef brisket, chicken hindquarters, tried some deer backstrap (better off just grilling that), and also done a ton of sides like smoked asparagus, smoked queso (it's freaking incredible), smoked baked beans, and just normally grilled a bunch of stuff like bratwurst and pork chops.

No, I don't believe I have come across Pit Boss over here. Traegers and the Weber SmokeFire seems to be what people are having (based on an bbq-related fb page I frequent), the odd Yoder, but those are pretty steep priced if I am not mistaken. BBQ/Smoking is still pretty niche over here (as opposed to grilling), so I guess the availability has very much to do with markets and demands. Can be quite difficult to get hold of proper cuts of meat suitable for low and slow, but things are improving.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

Iowan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 pm
RolanK wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I am strongly considering a Traeger purchase later in the spring.
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

A buddy of mine does amazing things with his Traeger.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

after using a sous vide for a while, i see no need to ever grill a steak again.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Have been into SV for a while, but came back to grilling, roasting, pan-searing etc eventually. I find in most cases I am able to get close to SV result in terms of even "doneness" through the meat using "reverse sear" method on roasts and larger cuts of meat and with a good thermometer (thermapen) as vital tool. If I use the SV nowadays it is when prepping food for larger groups of people for a sit-down dinner (well, pre-Corona that is) when timing matters.

Food looks delicious btw, tinnitus.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

thanks! i got 3.5 meals out of that steak. $8.99/lb too, great value at good old Market Basket.