BBQ (and grilling) Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: BBQ (and grilling) Thread

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just added one of these to my Weber arsenal.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That's a nice little grill. Bought one for my mom when she didn't want to mess with her big Weber Genesis anymore.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:Just added one of these to my Weber arsenal.

How is your grill doing? I had to order a new regulator for my mom's that I'll change out this weekend. Better than getting a new one but it's only 3 years old and she doesn't use it much.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smoking a couple of pork butts this weekend on the WSM. I've got them in a marinade of orange juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, pureed onions and garlic. I think I'm going to go with a simple rub this time, maybe just salt, pepper, a little brown sugar, cumin and garlic. I'm serving a southern barbecue feast on Sunday but want use the leftovers for tacos. Making three sauces tonight a spiced orange sweet BBQ sauce, white barbecue sauce and a chimichurri from my herb garden. Pretty excited to fire up the WSM for teh first time in a long while.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

That sounds divine, TC.

I've gotta dust the cobwebs off of my WSM ASAP.

Beebs

Re: The 2014 Barbecue and Smoking Thread (no not that kind)

Post by Beebs »

Gonna prep some ribs to bring over to a friends and do low and slow today. But I need some coffee first, might as well check in on 3dd... Hey Look! It's the BBQ thread!

Gonna bust out this classic again today TC. The rub that keeps on... rubbing. That doesn't sound right.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Rib Rub:

2/3 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/8 cup ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle powder (I usually get dried chipotles and dry my own)
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons black pepper (fresh ground makes all the difference)
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
Beebs is not a ragey man

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thanks for the rib rub recipe tc. I just picked up a couple racks that I plan on smoking Monday.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Smoking a couple of pork butts this weekend on the WSM. I've got them in a marinade of orange juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, pureed onions and garlic. I think I'm going to go with a simple rub this time, maybe just salt, pepper, a little brown sugar, cumin and garlic. I'm serving a southern barbecue feast on Sunday but want use the leftovers for tacos. Making three sauces tonight a spiced orange sweet BBQ sauce, white barbecue sauce and a chimichurri from my herb garden. Pretty excited to fire up the WSM for teh first time in a long while.
So I consider myself pretty good at smoking pork butts, especially since I got the WSM, but this was far and away the best I've ever done and it didn't exactly go according to plan. So for those with WSM cookers I'll get a little technical on what I usually do (this was my 5th or 6th pork shoulder smoke with this smoker). I use the Minion method which means I put an entire bag of Kingsford regular briquettes in the charcoal ring and then add about 15-20 hot briquettes prepared in a charcoal chimney. I use wood chunks scattered throughout the unlit briquettes. I do use water in the pan. So get it all set up, put the butts on which I put on cold from the fridge, and leave the three bottom vents 1/4 open and the top open. Then I crack open a beer and watch the temp. When the internal temperature of the smoker reaches about 205-210 I close the bottom vents, adjust the top vent to 1/2 open and let the WSN settle into a 225°-240° (F) temperature range and I leave everything alone, I don't even look for 8 hours, not spritzing, no mopping, no anything. For all my previous cooks this has worked perfectly. This time not so much. I was watching the temp when it suddenly spiked from 200° to 320° in a matter of 30 seconds. Horrified I tried closing all the bottom vents and leaving just a sliver open on top. That brought it down to 286°where it held for 2 hours then settled in at 275°. I had started the smoke at 9:00 PM to go overnight but I was afraid to go to bed figuring the 12 hour cook I had planned might end up at 6 or 7. Still once settled in at 275° I took my remote thermometer and went to bed. I woke at about 3:00 briefly and checked the temp and it had gone down to 255° and the butts were at 110° which made me more comfortable so I slept until 5:30 which was 8 hours into the cook. At that point the internal temperature was about 165° and by 6:00 it had gone up to 180°. Then it hit the stall and stayed there, and stayed there, and stayed there. Because I wasn't planning on serving until 2:00 I really wasn't worried and rather than foiling the butts I let them ride. The stall lasted 4 1/2 hours and then slowly began to rise. At 11:30, 14 hours in, I pulled them and they looked perfect. I wrapped them in several layers of foil, wrapped both up in a heavy blanket and put them in a cooler until our guests came.

When I removed the butts from the foil they were perfect. They were still about 160° internal temp and the bones literally fell out and the pull was as easy as I'd ever done. The bark was solid, although slightly softened from the hold time, and almost all the fat had rendered perfectly. The taste was amazing. The smoke flavor was perfect and it was cooked well. I do consider myself fairly good at this but when things go wonky you never know. I had flashes of having to order pizzas or something but my fear was unwarranted. Lots of oohs and ahhs from the guests and when that comes from born and bred Mississippians and here I am a transplanted Yankee form Chicago I'd call that a good day.

phungi

Post by phungi »

I purchased a Masterbuilt smoker last year, and added the "mailbox mod" to hold the smoke pellets. I get more than 8 hours of continuous smoke and the unit has been pretty awesome at maintaining a stable temperature.

Has generated amazing ribs, brisket, wings, and sausage.

Going to take the leap into a pork butt this summer, double-entendre intended!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Very nice Phungi. If I ever got heavily into sausage making I would make that purchase, I considered it last year when I got my WSM. Oh and if you've done brisket pork butt will be a breeze. I find them much easier and more forgiving. I haven't done a brisket in my WSM yet but hopefully soon.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Very nice Phungi. If I ever got heavily into sausage making I would make that purchase, I considered it last year when I got my WSM. Oh and if you've done brisket pork butt will be a breeze. I find them much easier and more forgiving. I haven't done a brisket in my WSM yet but hopefully soon.
The only "complaint" I have with the Masterbuilt (electric) is that some meats need to be finished on the grill to get a good sear... sausage and chicken wings for example, which I do not believe is an issue with a charcoal smoker.

Brisket is easy, although dealing with the anxiety of "the stall" is taxing... good thing there is beer in the world!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

phungi wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Very nice Phungi. If I ever got heavily into sausage making I would make that purchase, I considered it last year when I got my WSM. Oh and if you've done brisket pork butt will be a breeze. I find them much easier and more forgiving. I haven't done a brisket in my WSM yet but hopefully soon.
The only "complaint" I have with the Masterbuilt (electric) is that some meats need to be finished on the grill to get a good sear... sausage and chicken wings for example, which I do not believe is an issue with a charcoal smoker.

Brisket is easy, although dealing with the anxiety of "the stall" is taxing... good thing there is beer in the world!
I've never found a way around crisping chicken skin up on a grill, and barbecue restaurants usually give wings a dunk in the fryer when they come off the smoker. I know people say they have figured out crispy skin without one of those methods but so far they've alluded me. Oh, and yes beer is appropriate and required during the stall.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

those are ideal for tail-gating.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

How is your grill doing? I had to order a new regulator for my mom's that I'll change out this weekend. Better than getting a new one but it's only 3 years old and she doesn't use it much.
Still going strong, TC. I don't use it that often but it is my go to for a quick burger or chicken breast/thighs. My charcoal grill gets jealous when I use it. :lol:

walthers

Post by walthers »

I've got a master built smoker as well, just doesn't have the glass door. I like it a lot, holds the temp nicely and was relatively cheap. If I were to buy it again though I would have purchased the one with the glass door. I like to be able to see and I use a second thermometer inside to make sure my temp is correct, but opening the door to do so let's out the smoke and kind of defeats the purpose.

tinnitus photography

gonna grill up some rib-cut pork chops... making the grilled/maple-glazed corn and bacon relish right now.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

walthers wrote:I've got a master built smoker as well, just doesn't have the glass door. I like it a lot, holds the temp nicely and was relatively cheap. If I were to buy it again though I would have purchased the one with the glass door. I like to be able to see and I use a second thermometer inside to make sure my temp is correct, but opening the door to do so let's out the smoke and kind of defeats the purpose.
I'm not sure if you use a remote, or if your cooker allows a cord to come out without having the door ajar, but I love maverick remote thermometer. Does a great job.

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_287798 ... AvFp8P8HAQ

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

tinnitus photography wrote:gonna grill up some rib-cut pork chops... making the grilled/maple-glazed corn and bacon relish right now.

Mmmm corn & bacon relish! Sounds awesome.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
walthers wrote:I've got a master built smoker as well, just doesn't have the glass door. I like it a lot, holds the temp nicely and was relatively cheap. If I were to buy it again though I would have purchased the one with the glass door. I like to be able to see and I use a second thermometer inside to make sure my temp is correct, but opening the door to do so let's out the smoke and kind of defeats the purpose.
I'm not sure if you use a remote, or if your cooker allows a cord to come out without having the door ajar, but I love maverick remote thermometer. Does a great job.

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_287798 ... AvFp8P8HAQ
Thanks, I will look into that as it might just cure my issue. Also, never used your rub last week but I made it up this morning and it smelled great, rubbed it on all three racks!

tinnitus photography

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:gonna grill up some rib-cut pork chops... making the grilled/maple-glazed corn and bacon relish right now.

Mmmm corn & bacon relish! Sounds awesome.
delish! i had no sage but it didn't suffer:

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Grilling for a party for Oklahoma-tOSU on Sat. Anyone have ideas for something quick but tasty?
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

OkieinTexas wrote:Grilling for a party for Oklahoma-tOSU on Sat. Anyone have ideas for something quick but tasty?
Something on a stick always works if you need quick. Shish Kabob or satay? This is a pretty good beef satay, I've made variations on it before http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... ecipe.html

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Check it out....Cooley is a Big Green Egg Head. This makes me very happy.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:13 pm
Check it out....Cooley is a Big Green Egg Head. This makes me very happy.

Wibs!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

I'm thinking I need this Weber 22" SM smoker. $439 seems to be the going price. Am I right about that, or just not looking in the right place?
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

porkulator wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:37 am
I'm thinking I need this Weber 22" SM smoker. $439 seems to be the going price. Am I right about that, or just not looking in the right place?
The Weber Smoker is worth every penny and that sounds about right.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

bovine knievel wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 pm
porkulator wrote:
Been having mine for a year now. Super happy. Result always turns out great. Been doing wibs (spare and beef), pork butts and chikkins on it so far. Before that been smoking a bit on an 18.5" at our cabin in the mountains. Also a great smoker, but I like the additional real estate of the 22". Pretty forgiving on the vent settings and easy to maintain stable temps throughout the cook.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

bovine knievel wrote:
porkulator wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:20 pm
bovine knievel wrote:
porkulator wrote:
Been having mine for a year now. Super happy. Result always turns out great. Been doing wibs (spare and beef), pork butts and chikkins on it so far. Before that been smoking a bit on an 18.5" at our cabin in the mountains. Also a great smoker, but I like the additional real estate of the 22". Pretty forgiving on the vent settings and easy to maintain stable temps throughout the cook.
Thanks for the input y'all, I was pretty sure of the smoker. I wasn't sure if I was about to overpay for it. Weber charcoal products are top notch.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I’ll join the choir. I’ve had my WSM 22” since 2015. One suggestion is that I would upgrade the charcoal door immediately to stainless steel. Made it much easier to control the temp on the low end. I like to smoke at about 225° and I find it invaluable.