"All them politicians, they are lying sacks of shit"

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

revtodd

"All them politicians, they are lying sacks of shit"

Post by revtodd »

Being that today is election day, I have been listening to "Puttin People on the Moon" at very loud volumes.
Now, music (like art) is subjective, and I would never dare to claim I know where DBT stands on political issues based on one or two songs.
However, from listening to the lyrics and reading Patterson's musings on the subject, I'd venture to guess at least Mr. Hood is not voting for the Tea Party.

Here's my question to y'all: Does a band like DBT (or any other) have an influence on your political decisions or do you think entertainers should keep out of politics all together?

Personally, I'm pretty set in my ways and I tend to enjoy music/books/movies that share my enthusiasm and passion for similar beliefs.
I.E. I like what I like because I feel a common bond with the musician/writer/actor. However, if it's good, it's good and I CAN separate the art from the artist. This is how I can manage to still enjoy Ted Nugent. On the other hand, I think Glenn Beck is still an asshole no matter how many books he sells. :D

Your thoughts?

gordonlw

Re: "All them politicians, they are lying sacks of shit"

Post by gordonlw »

99% of the artist I like seem to be democrat and I'm ok with that ;)

I could see if you're a republican how some of the songs or whatever could piss you off. or make you say "keep politics out of the music". but when you agree with them like I do I say preach on!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Good topic, RevTodd.

For the most part, I don't like political songs because they tend to have a short shelf life. James McMurtry had a song called "Cheney's Toy" on his last album. Now, two years later, the song has about as much relevance as a song about Walter Mondale. "Putting People On the Moon" is different because it is a story, not a manifesto. A song like that or "Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken" tends to stand up decades later.

When I was twelve I embraced radical politics because of John Lennon and Jefferson Airplane. But now an artist I like has no bearing on my political opinions. I tend to be a centrist and a pragmatist. I don't have an ideology. I just believe in good government and ideas that produce results.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

RevMatt wrote:But now an artist I like has no bearing on my political opinions. I tend to be a centrist and a pragmatist. I don't have an ideology. I just believe in good government and ideas that produce results.

I've never seen the way I think explained so simply and so well. Nice work, Man.

And Todd, thanks for the suggested listening. LOUD!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

in my ears and mind....most dbt songs are political. maybe not donkey/elephant political....but the politics of some thing or another.

just my opinion.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:in my ears and mind....most dbt songs are political. maybe not donkey/elephant political....but the politics of some thing or another.

just my opinion.

My opinion too.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

How come them great southern rock bands of the 70's wrote such great
music when they were all Dems and now a lot of them are Reps,
and their music pretty much sucks? :roll:
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Music doesn't affect my political leanings.

The political leanings of a particular musician may, however, make me not listen to them.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

scotto

Post by scotto »

revtodd wrote:Here's my question to y'all: Does a band like DBT (or any other) have an influence on your political decisions or do you think entertainers should keep out of politics all together?

The only influence is that it usually reconfirms my already held beliefs (and makes me glad to be in agreement with folks I like/respect).
Other than that, I also agree with Zip's opinion above.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Music doesn't affect my political leanings.

The political leanings of a particular musician may, however, make me not listen to them.

Agreed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Insert Ted Nugent here.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The lesser of 2 evils
Is how we cast our vote
our motto's not 'In God We Trust'
It's whatever floats your boat

Celebrity opinions on political matters usually matter as much as which piece of crap you end up voting for, anymore; so I don't pay attention. I voted today. I always go 3rd party & anti-incumbent. I checked the box on 2 Green Party, 1 Constitution Party, & 1 Libertarian Party. I also voted for a couple of names 'coz they sounded cool. If only there were no Parties, we might get somewhere (or maybe if we all partied). Another election, another exercise in futility.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Agreed.

I don't really care which way they lean as long as the music is good. I'll listen to Uncle Ted every once in a great ( white buffalo) while. Charlie Daniels finds himself being spun quite a bit here. When they get too preachy in concert ( I listen to a lot of boots ) I simply hit the button that shoots me to the next song. They have their thoughts, I have mine. Let's rock.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

rock and roll is liberation.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

revtodd wrote:Does a band like DBT (or any other) have an influence on your political decisions or do you think entertainers should keep out of politics all together?

Neither. I consider myself intelligent enough to make my political decisions, in the best interest of society, regardless of the political leanings of an artist I may have never met.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I think music is pretty much like the rest of life. While you'd have to be pretty feeble minded to allow musicians/writers/etc to form your opinions for you, they may help to expand your point of view. In the first place though, I think its pretty unlikely that anyone around here is going to be listening to nazi hate punk or that any tea partyers are going to tolerate left leaning stuff like people on the moon or can't make it here. We tend to be attracted to things that back up what we see ourselves as and how we feel.

RevMatt wrote:James McMurtry had a song called "Cheney's Toy" on his last album. Now, two years later, the song has about as much relevance as a song about Walter Mondale.

I keep hearing this being recycled and have to take issue with it. Specifically, we are still very much dealing with the ramifications of this ( 2 wars, great recession, record unemployment, blah , blah, blah ) which, IMHO makes it still very relevant. On a larger scale I think it has value as a cautionary tale. This is what happens when we lack transparency and hand the reigns over based on hubris and pride. Saying its shelf life has expired is like saying there's nothing to be learned from Shindler's List because WWII is over.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:I think music is pretty much like the rest of life. While you'd have to be pretty feeble minded to allow musicians/writers/etc to form your opinions for you, they may help to expand your point of view. In the first place though, I think its pretty unlikely that anyone around here is going to be listening to nazi hate punk or that any tea partyers are going to tolerate left leaning stuff like people on the moon or can't make it here. We tend to be attracted to things that back up what we see ourselves as and how we feel.

RevMatt wrote:James McMurtry had a song called "Cheney's Toy" on his last album. Now, two years later, the song has about as much relevance as a song about Walter Mondale.

I keep hearing this being recycled and have to take issue with it. Specifically, we are still very much dealing with the ramifications of this ( 2 wars, great recession, record unemployment, blah , blah, blah ) which, IMHO makes it still very relevant. On a larger scale I think it has value as a cautionary tale. This is what happens when we lack transparency and hand the reigns over based on hubris and pride. Saying its shelf life has expired is like saying there's nothing to be learned from Shindler's List because WWII is over.

Sometimes it's not just musicians and performers who help to flesh out your own views but also folks on said musicians' message boards. Right on, my Adirondack brother.
If you don't run you rust

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Fool No Where wrote:
revtodd wrote:Does a band like DBT (or any other) have an influence on your political decisions or do you think entertainers should keep out of politics all together?

Neither. I consider myself intelligent enough to make my political decisions, in the best interest of society, regardless of the political leanings of an artist I may have never met.

Yep. If anyone leans politically one way or the other based on someone elses political beliefs (or the words to a great song), they are, in fact, one thing that is wrong with America today. People can't be bothered to think for themselves.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Everybody's so busy wanting to be down with the gang. "I'm conservative", "I'm liberal", "I'm conservative". Bullshit! Be a fucking person! Lis-ten! Let it swirl around your head. Then form your opinion. No normal, decent person is one thing, okay? I've got some shit I'm conservative about, I've got some shit I'm liberal about. Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal! - Chris Rock

This is pretty much the only "famous person" that I can say I agree with whole-heartedly. :D

Everybody has got to be party affiliated. Why :?: :?: :?:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

this time around i voted:

1-Libertain
1-Democrat
5-Republican

i don't necessarily associate specifically with any type of side. i'm probably mostly anarchist-libertarian leaning more towards conservatism than liberal. but like it is, any more these days looking at how the party's policies/decision making is you in no way can associate republican party as conservative nor the democratic party as liberal, imo, they've all strayed from their roots.
the only reason my party voting was skewed more towards republican this time around is because the majority of my consideration for whom to vote is based on voting out the incumbant. i'm ok with the results in my state this time around. the music i listen to has absolutely no bearing on how i vote.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Swamp wrote:How come them great southern rock bands of the 70's wrote such great
music when they were all Dems and now a lot of them are Reps,
and their music pretty much sucks? :roll:

I can only imagine you're talking about the likes of Skynyrd here and maybe the Marshall Tucker Band. This topic has come up before on other boards and I'm usually directed to a book called Rednecks & Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music, which I admittedly still haven't read. I believe this came out around the time both Willie and Merle penned anti-war songs that country music radio refused to play. Supposedly, it helps to explain the political shift in bands such as Skynyrd who once campaigned for Jimmy Carter. Would the Ronnie Van Zant-era Skynyrd ever do an album called Gods & Guns, particularly given Van Zant's stance on gun control ("Saturday Night Special")? I think not but on the other hand, the band currently calling themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd bares little to no resemblance to the real Lynyrd Skynyrd aside from Gary Rossington still being in the band. Then again, that's a whole other discussion.

As for the topic at hand, I form my own opinions but I'd be remiss if I didn't say that it was Jimmy Buffett who first brought my attention to Greenpeace. Likewise, R.E.M. first drew my attention to organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Nature Conservancy through boothes at their concerts and listings in their tour programs. U2 introduced me to Amnesty International, etc. I don't always agree with some of my favorite musician's political beliefs but I also don't want to be hit over the head with them (from either side). I listen to radio, watch TV, read magazines, newspapers, etc. and share opinions with friends on both sides of the coin, that's how I reach conclusions and form my own opinions.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

I wonder - has Patterson still been plugging Obama at shows?
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.