Could use some auto help, advice (Subaru in particular)

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dcfaithful

Could use some auto help, advice (Subaru in particular)

Post by dcfaithful »

Hey all,
So...here's my deal.

I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic EX. It's been a fantastic car...truly the most reliable vehicle ever and I'm a little weary at the thought of parting with it. It has the higher end of 92k on it and I've almost paid it off. I'm kind of a recreational guy...I like to go up in the beautiful canyons all around Utah. I hike, camp, and explore. A lot of times, my Civic has limited me.

I've heard all the things about Subaru's, and have kept my eye open for a while. Last night I came across a 2001 White Forester: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=287818111&dealer_id=1361324&car_year=2001&dealership_view_name=www.utahaffordable.com&resultCar=null&sort_type=make_modelASC&address=&cardist=0

It has 106,711 miles on it. I test drove it, inspected the engine (as much as I could with my knowledge of cars), looked at the brakes, they look great. The engine sounds good, ran great, and overall there isn't much wrong with the vehicle.

Although now, I'm juggling with the idea of getting a car with higher miles, mind you not by much. But I feel like this vehicle would serve more of a purpose for me. BTW, I ride the bus everyday to work except for the days when I need to run an errand after or on lunch...so my wear and tear may be more minimal than the average.

Anybody on here have experience with Foresters (or Subaru's in general). How are they around high mileage? What problems, if any have you experienced. Just looking for some advice or insight on this.

Thanks!

Cotter

Re: Could use some auto help, advice (Subaru in particular)

Post by Cotter »

yeah, my bro ran a forester for a long time. mid-90's....

is it the 2.5L???

My first couple comments are....

at 106k miles, you'll be soon replacing ball joints and/or wheel bearings in it. Something my bro dealt with and finally decided to junk the car.

secondly, around these parts pretty much only lesbians drive em (LOL - I know, I know, totally innappropriate, but that's the theme it seems).

Personally, if your current car has less miles, is newer, and is almost paid off, why not get it paid off, then just plan on maintenance from then on out, you will be inheriting problems the car stealership is hiding (or private owner).

Some links for you to peruse if you want.

http://www.truedelta.com/repair_histori ... sion_code=

Here's forum for issues/problems...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, Cotter, they're known as lesbarus around here :)

DC, I don't understand the rationale behind buying a car w/ over 100K miles on it (which is more miles than your current car) for the purpose of working the car harder than u work your current car. FWIW, pretty much everyone i know who's driven one loves 'em, but i dont have any specific info about performance at higher mileage.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Regardless of the sexual orientation of it's demographic, Subaru makes a damn fine automobile.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Yeah, they ain't bad, but can be a bitch to repair (costly). They're not terrible to work on, just expensive parts.

Not to change the subject, but the only vehicle I've EVER owned with less than 100K was bout at 92K!

LOL

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Oh, and for the record, if I was a gal, I would DEFINITELY be a lesbian!

dcfaithful

Post by dcfaithful »

Cotter wrote:Oh, and for the record, if I was a gal, I would DEFINITELY be a lesbian!

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree the rationale behind getting 106k in comparison to my champ 92k Honda that is almost paid off doesn't really weight out. The more I dwell on it, the more I'm leaning towards just paying off the Civic and letting it ride on... :)

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I've driven many Subs over the years. I am hot for the ladies, but hate the Indigo Girls. Anyway....

When we bought our current one (2008 Outback) I came across MANY opinions that reliability had improved greatly since '05. Previous to that, as any Sub owner can tell you, they were a little spotty durability. And yes, parts can be expensive. Personally, I'd only entertain a vehicle with that many miles if it were much newer or damned near free.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

dcfaithful wrote:
Cotter wrote:Oh, and for the record, if I was a gal, I would DEFINITELY be a lesbian!

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree the rationale behind getting 106k in comparison to my champ 92k Honda that is almost paid off doesn't really weight out. The more I dwell on it, the more I'm leaning towards just paying off the Civic and letting it ride on... :)

I think that's really a good idea. It's nice to not have a car payment, heck, if you are paying 200/mo for a car, get it paid off, and go six months then need a 500 dollar repair you are still ahead of the game....

dcfaithful

Post by dcfaithful »

Cotter wrote:
dcfaithful wrote:

I think that's really a good idea. It's nice to not have a car payment, heck, if you are paying 200/mo for a car, get it paid off, and go six months then need a 500 dollar repair you are still ahead of the game....

Yeah. I'm actually eager as hell to have no more car payment on "The Silver Bullet" :P

I bought it 4 years ago, with 13k on it...so I've put nearly 80k on it, and it runs like a god damned champ. I've only had to replace the alternator about a month or two ago. Seriously, I think the Civic could have another 120k in it if I continue with it. I baby my vehicles and am a freak about regular maintenance...so after thinking this through, I think it's kind of cut and dry what the wise decision is.

Looks like The Bullet will just have to continue keeping up with my adventures. 8-)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I can't believe LJ hasn't shown up to tell you to buy a Volkswagen yet
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dcfaithful

Post by dcfaithful »

Zip City wrote:I can't believe LJ hasn't shown up to tell you to buy a Volkswagen yet

had a VW Scirocco as my first car. Don't think I'll need another VW for quite some time. :twisted:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

too late :lol: :lol: we have seen you dance!!! (boom chika boom!!!!)
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

are Outback's lesbian cars, too?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

I am SO pissed off that I don't have that pic anymore.
If you don't run you rust

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Penny Lane wrote:are Outback's lesbian cars, too?

I don't think so. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 lesbianists who drive/drove Foresters but not a single one in an Outback.
Beebs is not a ragey man

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

I bought a 2002 Outback new but only had it for three years (I needed something bigger). I loved it! Mine never got up in miles but I had friends with Subarus into the 100ks. I think they were mostly original owners though.

I say keep the Civic and find a friend with a 4WD.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

dcfaithful

Post by dcfaithful »

never going back wrote:I bought a 2002 Outback new but only had it for three years (I needed something bigger). I loved it! Mine never got up in miles but I had friends with Subarus into the 100ks. I think they were mostly original owners though.

I say keep the Civic and find a friend with a 4WD.

Too bad the number of my friends are broke asses with no vehicle. :roll: :oops: :lol: