Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
Didn't like this as much as uncut gems but it did enough similar things almost as well, so im glad i watched it. Not sure it fully came together for me at the end but getting there was a lot of fun

never seen twilight so pattinson didnt have to win me over or anything but he was indeed terrific in this.
Watch The Lighthouse.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Definitely plan to. Just waiting for it to hit prime or hulu

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

big coreys fan here but id never heard of it. what a film! i love sci fi shit thats like...in the future but barely, so nothing looks different but its just suddenly a lawless wasteland for whatever reason. also love bizarre cult themes by people not really equipped to handle them in any deep philosophical way so it ends up just surreal. reminded me of tommy in a way. also so many people get shot but theres almost never any blood, oddly wholesome.

anyway corey haim infiltrates a drug pushing roller cult to save his brother, 10/10 give it the oscar posthumously

Bigdumbhick

Post by Bigdumbhick »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Image Image

Joker, seemed a bit too all over the place and to me took some really easy paths to create the Joker character -- don't want to get spoilery, so I'll stop there.
I left Joker wanting to break shit and fuck things up. I have some issues.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Bigdumbhick wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:

I left Joker wanting to break shit and fuck things up. I have some issues.
You're lucky, I have to suppress that shit 24/7.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

I didn't really like this unfortunately

it was extremely good, clearly, but i had a couple running issues with it that got in the way for me. biggest was that, perhaps due to pacing or not really caring about enough of the characters, none of it felt as shocking as it should have been. it was all perfectly unsettling, with some really impressive gorey effects, but didnt feel like it really hit like it intended to. Ended up as a scattered handful of really good scenes rather than a great movie for me. Pugh was great though

SPOILERS:

I'm a slasher fan so the trope of killing off characters, some designed to be hated, and often with barely any personality, one by one is often my jam, it just felt out of place here. the only two characters i really felt anything for were dani, a masterfully written and played character, and josh, who was underused and then summarily killed off just as his storyline got interesting. the rest were either actively irritating or just there. it made it hard to really care where this was going, especially once it became clear how it would end. I can live with that kind of thing if the rest of the movie is low budget and barebones but this was absolutely not so I held it to a higher standard and it just didn't get there for me. ill give it props for being a creepy slasher set almost entirely in bright daylight at least

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I didn't really like this unfortunately

it was extremely good, clearly, but i had a couple running issues with it that got in the way for me. biggest was that, perhaps due to pacing or not really caring about enough of the characters, none of it felt as shocking as it should have been. it was all perfectly unsettling, with some really impressive gorey effects, but didnt feel like it really hit like it intended to. Ended up as a scattered handful of really good scenes rather than a great movie for me. Pugh was great though

SPOILERS:

I'm a slasher fan so the trope of killing off characters, some designed to be hated, and often with barely any personality, one by one is often my jam, it just felt out of place here. the only two characters i really felt anything for were dani, a masterfully written and played character, and josh, who was underused and then summarily killed off just as his storyline got interesting. the rest were either actively irritating or just there. it made it hard to really care where this was going, especially once it became clear how it would end. I can live with that kind of thing if the rest of the movie is low budget and barebones but this was absolutely not so I held it to a higher standard and it just didn't get there for me. ill give it props for being a creepy slasher set almost entirely in bright daylight at least
I didn't think this was a slasher film at all. It's a folk horror film (think The Wicker Man) and a fairy tale. I liked the film although not as much as The Wicker Man (1973) or Aster's previous film Hereditary. I agree with you that Florence Pugh was terrific. Between this and her performance in Little Women, she is clearly someone to watch as her career unfolds.
Check out the article linked below for a good explanation of the fairy tale aspects of the film.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/3/19 ... g-spoilers

I recommend Apostle on Netflix for another solid example of folk horror.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

interesting article. i do want to watch hereditary soon.

anyway
Seen my fair share of these 70s natural horror flicks by now so i knew what I was in for here (in other words, theyre very rarely any good, but can be fun) but boy did this fall apart about halfway through. Started with an earthquake and some mutant bugs that start fires and it was all cheesy but fun, then the scientist went mad and mutated the bugs further instead of killing them and it became a real grind making it to the end. Oh well, the electronic score was pretty well worth it anyway

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:interesting article. i do want to watch hereditary soon.

anyway
Seen my fair share of these 70s natural horror flicks by now so i knew what I was in for here (in other words, theyre very rarely any good, but can be fun) but boy did this fall apart about halfway through. Started with an earthquake and some mutant bugs that start fires and it was all cheesy but fun, then the scientist went mad and mutated the bugs further instead of killing them and it became a real grind making it to the end. Oh well, the electronic score was pretty well worth it anyway
Watch the William Friedkin "Bug" with Ashley Judd & Michael Shannon. Nothing to do with the one you are referencing, but an overlooked gem from14 years ago.
Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How was MB, BK? I loved the book but the movie reviews were so unenthusiastic that I was afraid seeing the movie would ruin the whole thing for me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:How was MB, BK? I loved the book but the movie reviews were so unenthusiastic that I was afraid seeing the movie would ruin the whole thing for me.
Great story (I haven’t read the book) and cinematically beautiful. It’s amazing they were able to close down parts of NYC for the car scenes and still have it period correct. There were parts that seemed rushed and parts that seemed to be missing but it does clock in at ~2.5 hours. Since you loved the book, I’d stick with that.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

denise richards boyfriend paul walker dies and his brain ends up in a robotic t.rex. i worried it might be like whoopi goldbergs theodore rex, which isnt even an enjoyable sort bad, but it was a lot of fun.

denise has a gay best friend that is matter of fact presented like this with no explanation:
There was a decent black comedy/pregnancy horror movie in here (woman's husband dies in a climbing accident and she goes on a mission to kill the people responsible, thinking her fetus is controlling her) including a very good lead performance but it never really settled on a tone and they really whiffed on some of the psychological elements. Stayed relatively enjoyable but could've been a lot more

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote: Image
There was a decent black comedy/pregnancy horror movie in here (woman's husband dies in a climbing accident and she goes on a mission to kill the people responsible, thinking her fetus is controlling her) including a very good lead performance but it never really settled on a tone and they really whiffed on some of the psychological elements. Stayed relatively enjoyable but could've been a lot more

Watch "Inside", a French film from 2007: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_2007
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:How was MB, BK? I loved the book but the movie reviews were so unenthusiastic that I was afraid seeing the movie would ruin the whole thing for me.
Great story (I haven’t read the book) and cinematically beautiful. It’s amazing they were able to close down parts of NYC for the car scenes and still have it period correct. There were parts that seemed rushed and parts that seemed to be missing but it does clock in at ~2.5 hours. Since you loved the book, I’d stick with that.
Thx.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

really enjoyed this. Post apocalyptic setting where a landlord sells human meat to his tenants. It almost entirely takes place in his apartment building but there are some really great sets in its various rooms. Lots of surreal scenes but held together by just enough plot to avoid weird for weirds sake, which i like on paper but usually find tedious in practice

Only complaint was it could have taken it's horror elements a lot further but it didn't seem intent on being that kind of movie. More of a vegetarian parable than anything designed to scare, but still just fun to watch

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Instead of watching the Oscars last nite, we watched Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood. Let me say right up front that Quentin Tarantino has more talent in his pinkie nail than I'll ever have. But the self-conscious, self-indulgent intent to turn every frame into "art" just gets boring after a while. In the end, it was a good movie w/ great performances (Brad Pitt earned that Oscar) but way too long and meandering for my taste. I fully understand that I am missing many of his references and homages, but I think I get a lot of them and after a while it's like "enough already." In particular, the endless shots of feet in shoes & boots getting out of cars and off horses and walking in the dust or on the asphalt are just boring. Except when they're Margot Robbie's feet, of course. And Al Pacino munches scenery like nobody else which is mostly amusing.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:Instead of watching the Oscars last nite, we watched Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood. Let me say right up front that Quentin Tarantino has more talent in his pinkie nail than I'll ever have. But the self-conscious, self-indulgent intent to turn every frame into "art" just gets boring after a while. In the end, it was a good movie w/ great performances (Brad Pitt earned that Oscar) but way too long and meandering for my taste. I fully understand that I am missing many of his references and homages, but I think I get a lot of them and after a while it's like "enough already." In particular, the endless shots of feet in shoes & boots getting out of cars and off horses and walking in the dust or on the asphalt are just boring. Except when they're Margot Robbie's feet, of course. And Al Pacino munches scenery like nobody else which is mostly amusing.
Maybe it's part of the where your shoes have been that I speak of sometimes.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Instead of watching the Oscars last nite, we watched Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood. Let me say right up front that Quentin Tarantino has more talent in his pinkie nail than I'll ever have. But the self-conscious, self-indulgent intent to turn every frame into "art" just gets boring after a while. In the end, it was a good movie w/ great performances (Brad Pitt earned that Oscar) but way too long and meandering for my taste. I fully understand that I am missing many of his references and homages, but I think I get a lot of them and after a while it's like "enough already." In particular, the endless shots of feet in shoes & boots getting out of cars and off horses and walking in the dust or on the asphalt are just boring. Except when they're Margot Robbie's feet, of course. And Al Pacino munches scenery like nobody else which is mostly amusing.
I have been a Tarentino fanboy since Reservoir Dogs, but I will forego my disdain of your assessment for one reason only: contrary to how most feel, I consider Hollywood to be one of his lesser efforts. He has 9 director credits; I place this in his lower third with Death Proof and Jackie Brown.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
I have been a Tarentino fanboy since Reservoir Dogs, but I will forego my disdain of your assessment for one reason only: contrary to how most feel, I consider Hollywood to be one of his lesser efforts. He has 9 director credits; I place this in his lower third with Death Proof and Jackie Brown.
I haven't seen this one yet but Jackie Brown bottom third? Yikes. It's probably my favorite.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jackie Brown bottom third?
Agree w/ TC.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

liked this a lot. actually didnt know it was based on a true story though. not sure if realizing that after the fact changed my opinion or not but i think it told the story well and perfectly captured so many minute details of the town and people involved. mcconaughey was amazing in his limited time but obviously jack black was the big deal here and he was incredibly captivating even when the character started to feel a bit one note.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Really liked this but with a few reservations. the entire cast was perfect, from the leads to the small parts

Id say I've seen enough Tarantino by now to firmly identify this as his work but the fact that all he did was write it was pretty apparent. Felt this one dragged in a few places while none of QTs that I've seen have done so (which may be a minority take but i havent seen his whole body of work yet). still a very good movie but I ended up wishing he'd directed it as well
Not entirely sure why I tuned out on wes after fantastic Mr fox considering the only one of his I didn't love up to that point was life aquatic, which was just so long. Entirely possible I just grew tired of his whole aesthetic or wanted to distance myself from cliche art school asshole things, idk

The fact that this was more of a crime drama was refreshing, both in the sense of giving a slightly new perspective on his style and bringing me into a genre I don't generally care about. It certainly had all his trademarks but really didn't bring any of his past movies to mind at all. Really enjoyed it. Just like total romance it had a cast full of actors that 100% embraced their roles, however slight
This was really visually impressive but the story didn't do a whole lot for me. Really did look amazing so definitely worth watching but fantastic mr fox was much better. obviously not a fair comparison though

At any rate I hope he keeps making these animations every few movies, its a nice change of pace and fits his style well. This one just didn't fully land for me

Clams

Post by Clams »

I watched The Joker last week. I am not one for the superhero/villain/marvel movies, but The Joker was a really good film. Dark and disturbing. Incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix, his Oscar for Best Actor was well earned.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Uncut gems and season one of Fargo recently have me thinking maybe I should get deeper into crime dramas. Think I'll need to see a lot more to properly comment but this one seemed very good. Mitchum was fantastic as a petty criminal facing the end of the line. Could have had more twists and general plot (I'm usually into a crisp run time but stuff like this can easily make two+ hours work) but its requisite batch of lowlives was fun to watch.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This movie thread’s importance is going to increase significantly after weeks at home.

Lady night I watched MDMA about which I read in here a while ago, but I couldn’t find on here today.

The movie was pretty good, but a little cheesy. My wife saw the first few minutes and asked, “what after school special is this????”

Flea

Post by Flea »

Uncut gems and season one of Fargo recently have me thinking maybe I should get deeper into crime dramas. Think I'll need to see a lot more to properly comment but this one seemed very good. Mitchum was fantastic as a petty criminal facing the end of the line. Could have had more twists and general plot (I'm usually into a crisp run time but stuff like this can easily make two+ hours work) but its requisite batch of lowlives was fun to watch.
If you haven't seen the Coen Bros debut work, Blood Simple, go watch it NOW.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

angelina jolie plays a teen drifter that ends up leading a group of sorta friends to take down their pervy teacher. had a lot of heart, message got a bit muddied by the end. decent watch though, particularly if you like jenny lewis.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Finally saw Parasite. It was good, I enjoyed it but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Don't know if this is one of those cases of too high expectations ruining the experience or if the movie is just not as good as "advertised." I forget all the nominees for best picture and I can't remember how many of those I've seen, but from what I do remember, if I had a vote it would have gone to Little Women over Parasite.

Another vote for Blood Simple. Haven't seen it in ages, but boy it was something when it came out. Not sure what you mean by crime movies, Shakes, but I assume you're familiar w/ classics like Chinatown, Godfather I & II, Goodfellas, The Departed, Maltese Falcon, etc. If you're including heist movies, I love The Italian Job, Entrapment, The Hot Rock . There are always more where those came from.