Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm reserving judgement till I find out if this is on the soundtrack:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 am
that's the real name of the movie? FFS...
It's not what you think. Good movie albeit a bit pokey. Dwight Yoakam has a pretty big part. Staying away from his politics, etc but he is still a fine film craftsman @ age 91. Not many, if any can say that.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

ok but a little disappointing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ Curious about this one but not sure when I'll get around to it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I watched The Spectacular Now the other weekend and really enjoyed it.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I agree, but I’m still glad that I watched. I wouldn’t call the movie unwatchable by any stretch but it is probably not as good as the least exciting episode of the Sopranos.

The tv show leaves such a high mark!
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:45 am

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:01 am
I agree, but I’m still glad that I watched. I wouldn’t call the movie unwatchable by any stretch but it is probably not as good as the least exciting episode of the Sopranos.

The tv show leaves such a high mark!
chuckrh wrote:
Sopranos is on my Mt. Rushmore of shows, so I'm excited about the movie. Deciding on whether to watch at home or go to the theater for it, but based on your reviews it looks like it might be the couch for me. Damn, I had high hopes for the movie and have actually been randomly watching some old shows to re-educate myself about some of the characters so that I would enjoy the movie more.

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:
I totally agree with Chuck. Fun to watch the younger versions of the characters from the series, and interesting to see the new ones, but not much going on with the plot.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

lived up to the hype

i came very close to tapping out on this around the half hour mark, as some of the snappier banter (like in the coffee shop) was just a bit cringey for me, but glad I didn't because it ended up really good. None of it's plot points were surprising but it did a lot of really not easy things really well and that more than made up for mostly knowing where it was headed imo. Could have easily gone several very cheap and/or sleazy routes with its central story but it avoided all that nicely. could have also easily been empty moralizing as well, but it remembered to be entertaining as well

My only lasting negative was the score was kinda awful? I almost never notice a score unless it's really special but this just seemed useless. Everything in here was really obvious emotionally, and having dramatic string cues tied in anyway just seemed a bit needlessly on the nose

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

A Classic Horror Story on Netflix was pretty good.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:19 am
lived up to the hype

i came very close to tapping out on this around the half hour mark, as some of the snappier banter (like in the coffee shop) was just a bit cringey for me, but glad I didn't because it ended up really good. None of it's plot points were surprising but it did a lot of really not easy things really well and that more than made up for mostly knowing where it was headed imo. Could have easily gone several very cheap and/or sleazy routes with its central story but it avoided all that nicely. could have also easily been empty moralizing as well, but it remembered to be entertaining as well

My only lasting negative was the score was kinda awful? I almost never notice a score unless it's really special but this just seemed useless. Everything in here was really obvious emotionally, and having dramatic string cues tied in anyway just seemed a bit needlessly on the nose
I think I would just watch "I Spit On Your Grave" again.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

No Bond fans out there?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Excellent!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography

at the recommendation of a friend, i watched Dance With The Devil last night (Perdita Durango)... holy shit is this movie over the top. insane cast too. why have i never heard of it?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119879/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Heard about this race years ago, watched this morning. Fascinating. So much going on behind the scenes in these Italian towns with history and tradition going back to the medieval/feudal era. I have good friends in Pistoia (outside Florence), and although they dont have a similar thing as in Sienna (not that I am aware) there are feuds between the borrows/neighborhoods going back so far that no-one remembers the reason.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am
Heard about this race years ago, watched this morning. Fascinating. So much going on behind the scenes in these Italian towns with history and tradition going back to the medieval/feudal era. I have good friends in Pistoia (outside Florence), and although they dont have a similar thing as in Sienna (not that I am aware) there are feuds between the borrows/neighborhoods going back so far that no-one remembers the reason.
The Palio, including all the "surround" is a great event. If you ever have a chance to experience it, take it! Needless to say I'm intrigued to see this movie.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:

Watched last nite and really enjoyed it. We were glad to see that the Palio we went to (July 2001) was briefly featured (it was the one won by the riderless horse). All the pomp and pageantry was as I remembered although I was surprised at how little attention was paid to the district meals - there were some visuals but no real discussion of what seemed to us to be a major part of the event. The movie really made me wonder what those jockeys do the rest of the year.

Just for yucks, google Gigi, the jockey who was going for the record # of Palio victories (I forget his full name at the moment). That was an eye opener just after seeing him in the movie.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:01 am
RolanK wrote:

Watched last nite and really enjoyed it. We were glad to see that the Palio we went to (July 2001) was briefly featured (it was the one won by the riderless horse). All the pomp and pageantry was as I remembered although I was surprised at how little attention was paid to the district meals - there were some visuals but no real discussion of what seemed to us to be a major part of the event. The movie really made me wonder what those jockeys do the rest of the year.

Just for yucks, google Gigi, the jockey who was going for the record # of Palio victories (I forget his full name at the moment). That was an eye opener just after seeing him in the movie.
Glad you enjoyed the movie, btb. As you say it raises a lot of questions, not only about the race itself, what is featured and what is not, but also about italy, italians, sports, politics, politics in sports and perhaps even whole of mankind (lol)... The friend I was referring to in my previous post living in Pistoia. He is in his mid 60's, has travelled around world most of his life. Says he has never been to Sienna although it is just an hour + drive down there from Pistoia, and has no plans going. Claiming the Siennese are all crazy, strange food, the olive oil tastes bad, other habits etc etc. Says a lot about patriotism and rivalry and the mentality in these ancient Italian towns.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 pm
No Bond fans out there?
I liked it.

It spent a lot more time on giving Daniel Craig's Bond a big ending than on telling a story. But when it's good it's very good.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown films....

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

wanted to see this for a while and it was as good as id hoped. amazing how it felt like they were running through a list of noir conventions and checking them off one by one, but it was still an extremely entertaining story. thornton and his incredible stillness was how just about every first person narrator ive read sounded in my head. top tier coens for me

it did have that alien bit that im not sure really added up (coens sure do love that move dont they), but the whole movie was so dreamlike i didnt care

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Have not seen it, but very excited!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/movi ... eview.html
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:07 pm
The Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown films....

Julie Brown was sexy AF in Earth Girls Are Easy.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Finally out...and I really enjoyed it. Damn I miss Guy.

https://www.withoutgettingkilledorcaught.com/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Red Notice is not by any critical standard a good movie. But if you're in that mood for mindless, unchallenging entertainment this one just might serve. On that scale, I enjoyed it, as cliched, predictable and awkward as it was. Plus Gal Gadot.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Finally getting to this. Kudos to Peter Jackson for putting together an amazing film.