Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
I did catch BlacKkKlansman yesterday. It's Lee's best since "Do The Right Thing" in my opinion.
x2

Sign o' the times: I'm pretty sure that as recently as a couple of years ago I would have thought the Charlottesville stuff was heavy handed, maybe even a bit clumsy, but as it stands, it was somewhere between dead on and possibly not hard hitting enough. To state the obvious, in context, Trump's infamous remarks were truly shocking.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Apparently this from a real film called The China Salesman, anyone see this?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

M. Night Shymalan movies in the past have underwhelmed... I watched 'Split' last night, and i have no words... awesome, awesome
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I watched "John Lennon: Imagine" last night. Beers were had and tears were shed.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Saw a documentary called Heading Home on Saturday. Enjoyed it very much and thought it was well made. But talk about your niche markets! The film's about the Israeli team in 2017's World Baseball Classic. The team is made up largely of Americans who qualify to play for Israel under citizenship rules that are basically the same as for the World Cup. As it happens, the team did surprisingly and spectacularly well, which gave the film a real hook. But even the other stuff, about the team members exploring and finding their identities, Israelis coming around to support the team, the place of the athletes in US professional baseball (mostly marginal), etc. I really don't know how much anyone will like the movie if they're not at least a pretty big baseball fan and most probably Jewish. If you don't fit either of those categories and watch the movie I'd love to know your thoughts!

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

stunning!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Caught a 1957 flick on TCM the other day. Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal & Walter Matheau star in A Face In The Crowd. Andy’s meteoric rise as Lonesome Rhodes draws uncanny parallels to a certain petulant fuck who we all know & loathe. Check it out.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Flea

Post by Flea »

Slipkid42 wrote:Caught a 1957 flick on TCM the other day. Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal & Walter Matheau star in A Face In The Crowd. Andy’s meteoric rise as Lonesome Rhodes draws uncanny parallels to a certain petulant fuck who we all know & loathe. Check it out.
That is my favorite ever Andy Griffith role. So against type. Money quote, talking about his audience:

Lonesome Rhodes: Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this... You know what the public's like? A cage of Guinea Pigs. Good Night you stupid idiots. Good Night, you miserable slobs. They're a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they'll flap their flippers.

I think this would be more recognizable had the director, Elia Kazan, not been unfairly tarnished by McCarthy era hogshit.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
That film needed subtitles.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
That film needed subtitles.
I hear ya! :lol:

For me that would only be for Pitt's character, who was almost 100% unintelligible; otherwise my ear picks things up pretty well. Big fan of this one and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can you tell my wife was out of town?

Fast and Furious: Exactly what it should have been and very enjoyable on its own limited terms.
Fast and Furious II: What a mess. Got by on amiability and charisma, but used up all the good will FFI had created for me.

The Equalizer: Another movie that was just what it should have been and enjoyable for that reason. Forgot that it was set in Boston so that was a nice extra.
The Equalizer 2: Typical sequel drop off but still watchable and better than, say, FF2 in keeping more or less to the standards established by the original.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Whole lotta schadenfreude goin' on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

Flea wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Caught a 1957 flick on TCM the other day. Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal & Walter Matheau star in A Face In The Crowd. Andy’s meteoric rise as Lonesome Rhodes draws uncanny parallels to a certain petulant fuck who we all know & loathe. Check it out.
That is my favorite ever Andy Griffith role. So against type. Money quote, talking about his audience:

Lonesome Rhodes: Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this... You know what the public's like? A cage of Guinea Pigs. Good Night you stupid idiots. Good Night, you miserable slobs. They're a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they'll flap their flippers.

I think this would be more recognizable had the director, Elia Kazan, not been unfairly tarnished by McCarthy era hogshit.
GREAT movie... jarring to see ole Andy like that
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

drommel56 wrote:unfairly tarnished
Why do you say that?

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Why do you say that?
I said that. I said it because his compelled testimony against non-violent non-criminals who had not been demonstrated to be a threat to "Truth, Justice, & The American Way" should not have been used as a broad brush to derail his career and denigrate his previos works. If I am mistaken, educate me.*

*Edited because I misspelled "educate". :lol: **

**Edited again because I did it a second time!
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Why do you say that?
I said that. I said it because his compelled testimony against non-violent non-criminals who had not been demonstrated to be a threat to "Truth, Justice, & The American Way" should not have been used as a broad brush to derail his career and denigrate his previos works. If I am mistaken, educate me.*

*Edited because I misspelled "educate". :lol: **

**Edited again because I did it a second time!
I have a more reasoned argument against it, but this is the one which literally hangs on the wall of my home.

That said, he was still a great director. The tarnish, he deserves; to apply it to his works is unfair.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:I said that. I said it because his compelled testimony against non-violent non-criminals who had not been demonstrated to be a threat to "Truth, Justice, & The American Way" should not have been used as a broad brush to derail his career and denigrate his previos works. If I am mistaken, educate me.*
Boy, that's a lot to unpack in a single sentence.

It seems to me that you're at least partly saying that Kazan should not have had to testify. I don't think many people would disagree w/ that. But he did and he "named names'. I read you as criticizing the existence of the McCarthy hearings which is not the same as supporting Kazan. As I read it, nothing about your description of the hearings makes the hit Kazan took to his reputation unfair.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure how much Kazan's career was tarnished or derailed by the reaction to his testimony. On the Waterfront is probably his most famous work and that was released after the hearings. Streetcar, which is probably his second most famous, was released just a little before and has not seemed to suffer. East of Eden,, another highly regarded film, was released in 1955, just two years before A Face in the Crowd. I'm sure he wasn't invited to a lot of parties, but I'm not sure his career was derailed and I really don't see his works being denigrated. A Face in the Crowd gets 8.2 out of 10 on Imdb. No less an icon of moviemaking than Martin Scorsese made a laudatory documentary about him. Stanley Kubrick, another leading light, is quoted on Imdb as saying about Kazan "without question, the best director we have in America, and capable of performing miracles with the actors he uses." IOW, it is my understanding that Kazan's personal reputation definitely suffered and continues to suffer for what seem to me to be fair reasons, but his career seems to have proceeded just fine and resulted in much adulation and respect.

JohnA, I wish I could have read that link but the text is too small for me and I couldn't enlarge it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:JohnA, I wish I could have read that link but the text is too small for me and I couldn't enlarge it.
If you click the image, you'll get an enlargement, which can be adjusted up to at least a hundred percent. If you bump it up way high, you can see (I think--I'm not an expert) where the register varies a little bit. Mine is #190. I ought to get it down and compare it to this one carefully. Feiffer has been a great cartooning hero of mine since my teens.

P.S. I agree with pretty much everything else you say.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tag is good harmless comedy, Isla Fisher alone makes it worth watching

I vividly recall the Entebbe incident. I was ten and we were on the NC coast (Wilmington and then Outer Banks) for the bicentennial. I recall seeing this on the news for multiple days and it always stuck with me (as does also catching Borg winning his first Wimbledon). Idi Amin was constantly in the news back then. I also clearly remember Richard Pryor imitating Amin on Pryor's TV show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I had forgotten about Pryor as Amin. Thanks for the reminder. Imagine if we did give out medals for lying...

Entebbe is of course indelibly etched in my mind.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Excellent film documenting the issues surrounding the Eel River.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Roma (on Netflix): A beautiful and beautifully made movie but I find that I really can't do sad & poignant anymore, which sucks, because so many of the best movies for grown ups are some combination of sad and poignant, or at least have those elements making large contributions. Recommended to anyone who's not me. But I really and truly don't understand whose idea it was to do the end credits in white letters on a mostly white background. Didn't anyone actually watch them before they released the movie? It's unlikely that I've heard of anyone in this particular cast and crew so it's not like I'm angry about missing something, but I would think the pros would care quite a bit about getting their credits. Strange. While not the same at all, and also very low budget, it reminded me a bit of the white on white subtitles in The Harder They Come.

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is one of the craziest, most fucked-up, hardest-to-comprehend stories I've heard in ages :shock: :shock: :shock: