Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by dime in the gutter »

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Saw the local premiere of this last night. Although it had differed from the book slightly, I felt that it was a fantastic adaptation. Got the most out of every minute of the lean 2 hours and 15 minute running time.Great screenplay. Great cinematography. An apt soundtrack. Good acting. And Pennywise's iconic status was finally maximized. I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cubfan06 wrote:Image

Saw the local premiere of this last night. Although it had differed from the book slightly, I felt that it was a fantastic adaptation. Got the most out of every minute of the lean 2 hours and 15 minute running time.Great screenplay. Great cinematography. An apt soundtrack. Good acting. And Pennywise's iconic status was finally maximized. I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen.
I'll add that the casting of The Losers Club is pretty spot-on, particularly Ritchie and (especially) Bev. Had Bev not been believable, the whole thing could have tumbled down.
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote: Image
how was this? i have already read so much press about this that I feel like I have already seen it. I would be hardpressed to recall the last film that had such a degree of "love/hate" press. Haven't seen anyone taking middle-ground on this

Flea

Post by Flea »

I loved mother!, but I'm always up for a good mindfuck with an ambivalent, not-too-happy ending. And don't enlarge the text below if you wish to avoid spoilers:

Any film where a baby is killed and eaten is going to find a place in my heart.

So there's that...
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

hadn't watched this in years. Hasn't held up as well as I remembered it, but still worth a handful of chuckles and guffaws. Hard to believe this came out in 1993

It's high time for someone to make a high-quality rap mockumentary, a, if you will, Spinal Tap of rap

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Not a big horror movie watcher, but took my mom to see it since she’s a huge Stephen King fan. Shocked at how much I enjoyed it, enough to where I’m actually looking forward to the second part coming out in 2019.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

going to see this in a few hours! Heathers has been one of our favorite films since it came out, hope I get a chance to shout out, "save the speeches for Malcolm X, I just wanna get laid!"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:going to see this in a few hours! Heathers has been one of our favorite films since it came out, hope I get a chance to shout out, "save the speeches for Malcolm X, I just wanna get laid!"
So, did you?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:going to see this in a few hours! Heathers has been one of our favorite films since it came out, hope I get a chance to shout out, "save the speeches for Malcolm X, I just wanna get laid!"
So, did you?
Nope, they didn't do that scene

Flea

Post by Flea »

Watched Fantastic Voyage for the first time in decades. Special effects are dated as hell, but the technology involved in supporting Raquel Welch's puppies is still amazing!
Now it's dark.

Ambrysus

Post by Ambrysus »

It ain't easy being me -- Chris Knight

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Bill in CT wrote:Image
I saw this at the weekend. It lived up to the reviews and was a lot of fun.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

whatwouldcooleydo?

rlipps wrote:Image
Loved it

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Loved it
I did too. I told someone today I could've sat for 6 hours and listened to him and others tell old stories. He was always my favorite growing up, I'll never forget when the NWA came to Hazard, KY for a show around 1990 or 91, and I was front-row as a 13 year old. My best friend's grandfather was a local wrestling promoter back in the 70s and 80s and he took us to that show. He ended up cussing back and forth with Flair and we had to forcibly keep him from climbing over the barrier to get to Flair.

On a side note, when he passed away, we were in college and my friend took me up to a flower arrangement someone had sent to the funeral home, and it was from Randy Savage. He used to come through here all the time when he was first starting out, and I guess he never forgot some of those local promoters that helped him out. I always thought that was pretty cool of him to do that 15-20 years later after he had became a star.

whatwouldcooleydo?

rlipps wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Loved it
I did too. I told someone today I could've sat for 6 hours and listened to him and others tell old stories. He was always my favorite growing up, I'll never forget when the NWA came to Hazard, KY for a show around 1990 or 91, and I was front-row as a 13 year old. My best friend's grandfather was a local wrestling promoter back in the 70s and 80s and he took us to that show. He ended up cussing back and forth with Flair and we had to forcibly keep him from climbing over the barrier to get to Flair.

On a side note, when he passed away, we were in college and my friend took me up to a flower arrangement someone had sent to the funeral home, and it was from Randy Savage. He used to come through here all the time when he was first starting out, and I guess he never forgot some of those local promoters that helped him out. I always thought that was pretty cool of him to do that 15-20 years later after he had became a star.
my rasslin' glory days were pretty much from when I was 6-7 to 16 (1972-1982). The was during the glorious territory era, when all rasslin' was regional. I was blessed to grow up with Mid-Atlantic Championship. The was mostly pre-cable TV, so the only way you heard anything about grapplers from other sanctioning bodies/regions was via magazines. Otherwise you knew what was on your local broadcast

In the late 70s we started picking up via UHF (I think) a program based out of eastern TN that came on late on Saturday nights. It may have been called Southern Championship Wrestling. The reception was shitty and the rasslin' wasn't much better. To call the operation low-budget doesn't do justice for how bush league it was. It was all in small towns/cities like the Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City area, Greeneville, Morristown, and small towns in Kentucky like Hazard, etc.. For a really big event, they would rassle at Rupp Arena, and they spoke of it like it was Madison Square Garden. There weren't any "at the time" big names on this program, though there were a couple of rasslers who went on to fame, including Ronnie Garvin and a young lad named Randy Savage. I can't remember if he was even working the Macho Man angle then, but he was new to using the name Randy Savage. Before this we knew him in Mid-Atlantic as undercard rassler by his real name, Randy Poffo. He and his brother Lanny (who went on to some fame as Leapin' Lanny/The Professor) rassled under the tutelage of their father Angelo.

To this day one of the memories that stands out of this Tennessee rasslin' was an ungodly stereotypically Jewish manager who was named Izzy Slapowitz. His classic catchphrase was "belts mean gelt!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Below is a pic of Slapowitz with a tag team he managed.

And, to answer your question: yes, I am a total loser :lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can you tell my wife's away?

Heat - finally got around to this one. It was about as I expected which is to say very enjoyable but flawed and less than it might have been. Very Michael Mann, to the extent I'm familiar w/ his style, which probably explains both sides of the previous statement :) Great, great cast of course.

Wonder Woman - I dont see enough of the superhero movies to do a compare and contrast kind of thing but I very much enjoyed this one. I thought the way they handled the feminist stuff was pretty cool; a little obvious but not too much so. No real need to say much about Gal Gadot :)

Jack Reacher Never Go Back - A pleasant surprise after the mediocre first one. Nothing great, but enjoyable. Cruise is starting to look too old for these leading action hero roles imho. Not familiar w/ the female lead but liked her and the teenage girl, too.

Magnificent Seven (new version) - Exactly what it should have been (or maybe exactly what I was expecting) but glad I didn't pay to see it in a theater. The diversity thing was a bit heavy handed but ok in the context of the times i guess.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So this Joe Purdy guy who was playing with Billy Bragg? I just saw the trailer for a movie he's starring in:

American Folk

I'm not a moviegoer, but I think I might go see this, if it makes it off the festival circuit or comes to town. Has anyone here seen it?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm watching "The Kids Are Alright" documentary and I have to say....The Who are some fucking weird dudes
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever