Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Penny Lane wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Finally saw Almost Famous today. Been meanin' to watch it for a while now, but never got around to it. I'm sure I'm preachin' to the choir, but it is fantastic. I finally see where Miss Penny Lane got her name. And here I always thought it was after the Beatles song.

I'd always hoped to track down the "Bootleg" edition but it went out of print before I ever had a chance.

this is the one I have with the extra scenes--is this what you mean?

http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Famous-Bootleg-Directors-Edition/dp/B00005OM4Q

That's the one, thanks. May have to snag one of those used copies. $10 isn't a bad price at all.

I watched this last night. It was way better than I was expecting it to be. I wouldn't put it in the "must see" category but I'd say it's definitely worth a rental. Adam Duritiz covering Jackson Browne's "The Load Out" at the end took me aback a little at first but I thought it was a nice touch over all. It's probably also worth noting that the title character works for Blue Öyster Cult in the movie.

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

I'm catching up with this year's Oscar winners and nominees, I watched Flight with Denzel Washington. The movie was not great but it was entertaining. Denzel's performance was convincing. What was a perfect opportunity missed was that the producers did not use The DBT's 'Shut up and Get on the Plane' as a music-sync for the early scene before take-off and during flight.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Whatever the newest of the Notebook, Dear John, etc. franchise. I should turn in my man card but it was for Mrs. Younger.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Another movie that I've never seen. I finally got around to Velvet Goldmine a few weeks ago as well which comes from the same production company, Single Cell, that Michael Stipe is (or was) a part of. Very strange but quite enjoyable because it's so original and unpredictable. I had no idea Charlie Sheen was in it (a bit part where he plays himself) so, in light of recent events, his appearance is even more hilarious that it was probably originally intended to be.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

Another movie that I've never seen. I finally got around to Velvet Goldmine a few weeks ago as well which comes from the same production company, Single Cell, that Michael Stipe is (or was) a part of. Very strange but quite enjoyable because it's so original and unpredictable. I had no idea Charlie Sheen was in it (a bit part where he plays himself) so, in light of recent events, his appearance is even more hilarious that it was probably originally intended to be.

Haven't thought of that movie in years. Really good one
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Toto I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Kudzu Guillotine

My only memories of Truman Capote were of seeing him on the late night talk show circuit back in the 70's, particularly The Tonight Show. I don't even think I was aware that he was an author, he was just a celebrity that I heard about in conjunction with Studio 54, Warhol and that entire tabloid type scene. I'm sure I learned more about him in the years that followed but it wasn't until I saw a documentary on author Harper Lee on PBS' American Masters series recently called Hey, Boo that I actually started paying any real attention. When I first saw the trailer for Capote several years ago I thought about watching it but wasn't sure I would be able to make it through the movie because of Capote's speech pattern (which Phillip Seymour Hoffman more than approximates in the film) as I always found it irritating. While it's still unnerving, it doesn't make Capote unwatchable by any stretch as Hoffman nails the part. Capote also had an infectious, charismatic personality that will draw you in, despite of how he speaks. Then, of course, there's the story itself which revolves around the writing of In Cold Blood which is very compelling. After all this, I should probably get around to reading In Cold Blood and To Kill A Mockingbird myself. Believe it or not, I've never even seen To Kill A Mockingbird.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I suggest reading Mockingbird before seeing the movie. Both are great. Btw, it's harper lee.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:I suggest reading Mockingbird before seeing the movie. Both are great. Btw, it's harper lee.

Thanks, I fixed it.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

loved it
Beebs is not a ragey man

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

enjoyed some slow French-Belgian non-action this weekend.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

My only memories of Truman Capote were of seeing him on the late night talk show circuit back in the 70's, particularly The Tonight Show. I don't even think I was aware that he was an author, he was just a celebrity that I heard about in conjunction with Studio 54, Warhol and that entire tabloid type scene. I'm sure I learned more about him in the years that followed but it wasn't until I saw a documentary on author Harper Lee on PBS' American Masters series recently called Hey, Boo that I actually started paying any real attention. When I first saw the trailer for Capote several years ago I thought about watching it but wasn't sure I would be able to make it through the movie because of Capote's speech pattern (which Phillip Seymour Hoffman more than approximates in the film) as I always found it irritating. While it's still unnerving, it doesn't make Capote unwatchable by any stretch as Hoffman nails the part. Capote also had an infectious, charismatic personality that will draw you in, despite of how he speaks. Then, of course, there's the story itself which revolves around the writing of In Cold Blood which is very compelling. After all this, I should probably get around to reading In Cold Blood and To Kill A Mockingbird myself. Believe it or not, I've never even seen To Kill A Mockingbird.

Very good movie. I also enjoyed (if that is the word) reading In Cold Blood.

There is something about Phillip Seymore Hoffman. Seems like he gravitates towards "unlikeable character" roles, but I almost allways find myself enjoying the movies he is in.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor. I can't remember ever not enjoying a performance of his, whether I've liked the movie or not.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

Agreed on Philip Seymour Hoffman. I first became aware of him with Almost Famous but I'm sure I'd seen him in movies before that.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

You Philip Seymour Hoffman fans should check out these two (if you haven't already)

Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As usual, all i can see is the word "image" 2x. Wish i knew why that keeps happening.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:As usual, all i can see is the word "image" 2x. Wish i knew why that keeps happening.

Me too. Strange how one of the images (for Before the Devils Knows You're Dead) is now showing up but the other one (for Owning Mahowny) isn't. Maybe it's a browser thing (I'm using Google Chrome).

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:As usual, all i can see is the word "image" 2x. Wish i knew why that keeps happening.

Me too. Strange how one of the images (for Before the Devils Knows You're Dead) is now showing up but the other one (for Owning Mahowny) isn't. Maybe it's a browser thing (I'm using Google Chrome).

I posted on Explorer, and now I can't view on Safari. Maybe it's my error. Either way Kudzu listed the movies

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I just went and saw silver linings playbook and thought it was an insufferable piece of shit.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sactochris wrote:I just went and saw silver linings playbook and thought it was an insufferable piece of shit.

Sorry to hear that.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

sactochris wrote:I just went and saw silver linings playbook and thought it was an insufferable piece of shit.

It may not have been worth all the Oscar hype, but I enjoyed it.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

me too. I loved it.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I turned this one off. The cinematography couldn't save it. I'd consider this an insufferable POS.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I wonder if this was the curse of raised expectations working its voodoo? I know I went in w/ none, having barely heard of it and it was a great surprise.

Kudzu Guillotine

bovine knievel wrote:I turned this one off. The cinematography couldn't save it. I'd consider this an insufferable POS.

I saw someone post a favorable review of it here so I gave it a chance. I'm not really big on Kristen Stewart (or her role in this movie) but I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:I turned this one off. The cinematography couldn't save it. I'd consider this an insufferable POS.

I saw someone post a favorable review of it here so I gave it a chance. I'm not really big on Kristen Stewart (or her role in this movie) but I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to.

:lol:

Maybe I should finish it because I was alright with it until it seemed like it was going to derail into a Snow White does Thor thing.*

*not that I would be against that in a different context.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM