Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:17 pm
Pretty good film. David Lynch has a cameo as director John Ford that's outstanding. IMHO he should be nominated for an academy award for best supporting actor even though it's a small role & 1 scene. It is a key scene though. I've read that Spielberg asked Laura Dern to set him up with Lynch for the role. Turns out they hit it off as both are huge fans of Ford's work. Spielberg was a fan of Lynch's work for years.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Had very high hopes for this and it delivered. Love Andrew’s work and this type of territory is extremely up my alley.
https://youtu.be/MH_rX9S6sU8
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Haven't heard about that one, brett, will have to check it out.

Realized I forgot to post about The Fabelmans which I liked a hell of a lot. "Monument Valley" should have been the soundtrack.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Not bad. Mindless entertainment but well done. Might make you think about hopping on a plane next trip.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you have a sustained and deep ability to suspend disbelief and if you like Idris Elba, you will probably enjoy a good deal of the new Luther movie on Netflix. I couldn't sustain that suspension until the end and I find it difficult to believe anyone could; it's just absurd, and more than that, boring. But until then it's entertaining enough, especially Andy Serkis's chilling villain. More overtones of Bond than a serious police procedural or spy thriller and on that semi-cartoonish basis it sort of works.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

80 for Brady - Very cute. An enjoyable 90 minutes if you don't expect too much. The 4 lead actresses are unsurprisingly terrific. But, doing my best to avoid spoilers, did it really have to take place in that city and have that illness be a fairly major plot point? Man, that was hard in the way that only being unexpectedly blindsided by the very heavy during a very light entertainment can cause. Even so, I enjoyed it but I expect my experience of it will differ from yours.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:25 am
80 for Brady - Very cute. An enjoyable 90 minutes if you don't expect too much. The 4 lead actresses are unsurprisingly terrific. But, doing my best to avoid spoilers, did it really have to take place in that city and have that illness be a fairly major plot point? Man, that was hard in the way that only being unexpectedly blindsided by the very heavy during a very light entertainment can cause. Even so, I enjoyed it but I expect my experience of it will differ from yours.
"unexpectedly blindsided" Sheesh. My apologies.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tetris is an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Watched Air last night, too. Enjoyed it very much. But I have to say i can't imagine the process by which somebody(ies) decided one day that this was a good subject for a feature film. In that way i think it's very much a feat of imagination of the kind that separates "creatives" from the rest of us. Somebody had a really good time putting together the soundtrack, that's for sure. And all the 80's kitsch, too. Even among a strong cast acting strongly, Viola Davis stands out.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Now this is what I call a dilemma: I love Jennifer Lawrence but boy does No Hard Feelings sound bad. To see or not to see, that is the question? If any of you do see it pls let the rest of us know what you think.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

PT Barnum & Field of Dreams were right :roll:

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The hype for Barbie has been building for months so I've been curious both about the quality of the movie (still to be determined) and the effectiveness of the hype machine (as far as I can tell this is poised to be a real blockbuster).

I'm curious about Oppenheimer, too because there are the usual questions about making history and science interesting and dramatic in movie terms. But it's obviously a very powerful, compelling story so I'm hopeful and looking forward to seeing it (tix not bought ye

I might as well go ahead and make the obvious point that at first glance Barbie and Oppenheimer would not seem to appeal to the same audience. Maybe it's one of those date night things: "I'll go to yours if you'll go to mine." BTW that's not sexist if you don't make assumptions that I'm not making.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

My dad's been in the hospital the last few days and we watched Up in Smoke there yesterday. It holds up.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:12 pm
The hype for Barbie has been building for months so I've been curious both about the quality of the movie (still to be determined) and the effectiveness of the hype machine (as far as I can tell this is poised to be a real blockbuster).

I'm curious about Oppenheimer, too because there are the usual questions about making history and science interesting and dramatic in movie terms. But it's obviously a very powerful, compelling story so I'm hopeful and looking forward to seeing it (tix not bought ye

I might as well go ahead and make the obvious point that at first glance Barbie and Oppenheimer would not seem to appeal to the same audience. Maybe it's one of those date night things: "I'll go to yours if you'll go to mine." BTW that's not sexist if you don't make assumptions that I'm not making.
Wow, the reviews for both movies have been incredibly positive.
brettac1 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:40 pm
My dad's been in the hospital the last few days
I hope your dad is doing better and is out of the hospital soon.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Does anyone else find Mia Goth;s unconventional physiognomy smokin' hot? Or do I just react that way because she usually ends up nekkid in whatever film she's in?

Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

She looks like Summer Glau
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:12 pm

A very different take on the Barbenheimer phenomenon:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... c=nl_ideas

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I’m seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow. Will report back

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:17 pm
Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. Paul Dano was heartbreaking.

I usually love Michelle Williams, but felt like she was REALLY ACTING A LOT in this movie

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:02 am
I usually love Michelle Williams, but felt like she was REALLY ACTING A LOT in this movie
As best as I remember, I agree w/ that.

So Barbenheimer came through big time this wkend grossing a combined $235MM. I've started seeing a lot of commentary along these lines, which can only be a good thing: "Hollywood’s dependence on franchises is increasingly failing to pay off." (Andrew Ross Sorkin, NYT).

Let us know how it goes today, zip.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Oppenheimer was very good. It's a dense story with a lot of moving parts, and typical of Christopher Nolan, isn't told in chronological order. It's the sort of film that seems impossible to plan and execute, yet he did it. Cillian Murphy is almost certainly going to win Best Actor

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm curious what people think about You're So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah. I don't understand how funny it can be for non-Jewish people (or, I guess, people otherwise steeped in American Jewish culture). I thought it was mediocre but amusing enough in a typically Adam Sandler way but like I say, i get the culture being depicted. Also I'm curious what people think about the way the movie does or does not perpetuate Jewish stereotypes.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing