Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I've been listening to The Coup since my teenage years, so I'm not exactly an unbiased viewer. But this is definitely one I won't forget any time soon.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

really enjoyed this. had a few flaws to keep it from being as good as it could have been but the premise was cool (dude trains some rats to attack his enemies) and bruce davison and ernest borgnine were both fantastic

watched the first one a few days ago and had to finish the trilogy over the weekend. diminishing returns of course, but lots of fun, even the third one! the lead in stepfather 3 was fine but definitely not on terry o'quinns level. they covered for his absence by having the character get plastic surgery, which was logical plotwise but still a loss. anyway as far as horror franchises pounding an idea into the ground, this was a success

basically a jaws ripoff, but not as good as piranha, which i watched and loved recently. had a lot going for it anyway. sadly that picture doesnt quite capture what really happened or it might've been more exciting

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare wrote:Image
really enjoyed this. had a few flaws to keep it from being as good as it could have been but the premise was cool (dude trains some rats to attack his enemies) and bruce davison and ernest borgnine were both fantastic

watched the first one a few days ago and had to finish the trilogy over the weekend. diminishing returns of course, but lots of fun, even the third one! the lead in stepfather 3 was fine but definitely not on terry o'quinns level. they covered for his absence by having the character get plastic surgery, which was logical plotwise but still a loss. anyway as far as horror franchises pounding an idea into the ground, this was a success

basically a jaws ripoff, but not as good as piranha, which i watched and loved recently. had a lot going for it anyway. sadly that picture doesnt quite capture what really happened or it might've been more exciting
Saw Orca in the theater. Early Bo Derek role, actually her first

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm not sold on it yet, but he makes a compelling argument for this movie:

I have never gone wrong following a recommendation from film critic Peter K. Rosenthal.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Conspiracy - I suspect there are multiple movies by this name, so this one is the one w/ Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci about the Wannsee Conference (where the Nazis adopted the "final solution" as actual government policy). Not bad but not as good as it should have been for reasons I can't really pin down. Perhaps too many stock characters? Worth the hour and a half if it's free.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

planned to see either blackkklansman or the meg this weekend but the theatre at the mall i was at was $20 a ticket for a sunday matinee, so i opted out. i guess its one of the better technical theatres in the area but i am not paying that

jaws 3
definitely not great but goofy enough for a fun saturday night. i actually havent even seen jaws 1 somehow

lady bird
disappointing. lots of good scenes and it kept my interest plotwise but overall i kept waiting for it to come together into something powerful and it never really did. just an extremely anticlimactic feeling throughout

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:planned to see either blackkklansman or the meg this weekend but the theatre at the mall i was at was $20 a ticket for a sunday matinee, so i opted out. i guess its one of the better technical theatres in the area but i am not paying that

jaws 3
definitely not great but goofy enough for a fun saturday night. i actually havent even seen jaws 1 somehow

lady bird
disappointing. lots of good scenes and it kept my interest plotwise but overall i kept waiting for it to come together into something powerful and it never really did. just an extremely anticlimactic feeling throughout
I did catch BlacKkKlansman yesterday. It's Lee's best since "Do The Right Thing" in my opinion.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare wrote:planned to see either blackkklansman or the meg this weekend but the theatre at the mall i was at was $20 a ticket for a sunday matinee, so i opted out. i guess its one of the better technical theatres in the area but i am not paying that

jaws 3

lady bird
Given that you admitted to thinking about paying $ to see The Meg, can we really trust your opinion? :lol: :lol: :lol:

roland

Post by roland »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

the party
i saw this on tv a few years ago and enjoyed it. a friend on another board recently brought it up and said the questionable racial elements kept him from enjoying it so i wanted to see if it was far worse than i remembered. obviously a white man in light brownface doing an indian accent isnt exactly great but at the same time i was oddly impressed how few of the jokes were of the "haha, a foreigner!" variety, especially considering the central premise is how the lead doesnt fit in at the party. the peter sellers character almost didnt need to be indian at all, which may or may not make it any better ethically. also quite liked how one of the more poignant scenes is when hrundi tells the party hosts daughter not to disrepect indian culture by painting cheap slogans on an elephant and she says she didnt mean any offense but shes sorry anyway and she'll make it right. imagine that conversation in 2018. at any rate, im a big sellars fan and the set/clothing design was a real joy to look at, so ultimately i still found it a fun movie

ed and his dead mother
early steve buscemi role where he pays to have his mom brought back to life, which obviously doesnt go to plan. it was fun. buscemi was as great as ever playing a charming weirdo, and the supporting performances were great too.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i, tonya
entertaining enough but i cant figure out what its point was. nobody in it looked good at all and the decision to basically treat everything as a farce was baffling at best, much more sinister at worst. it seemed to want to correct the narrative and play up the absurdity of the whole story, and im not sure either objective was accomplished much if at all. really strange that it was such a critical darling. performances were good for what they were, ill give it that

clear history
hadnt seen this yet despite being a big larry david fan. larry david can pretty much only play larry david so it's impossible not to view this as a curb ep set outside the curb canon. the extended length definitely dragged at times and i doubt itll hold up to rewatching like even mediocre curb, but i enjoyed it and it was nice to see him play off of a different supporting cast. danny mcbride was particularly great and i dont always love his shtick. wouldnt object to more of this between curb seasons if david wants a lower stakes setting for new material

suspiria
loved it. just an absolute treat, sight and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing MO - I enjoyed the first half of this movie about as much as I've enjoyed any movie in recent memory. Unfortunately, the first half was followed by the second half. What a mess. Somebody (director/writer/producer) quite literally lost the plot. Oh well. Frances McD was of course terrific.

The Rainmaker was kind of similar in that it was proceeding along as a not bad genre little guy v. the big bad corporation kind of thing when it suddenly veered off into something like "we've got no ending but the movie's long enough so we better do something" territory. I expect more from Francis Ford Coppola. FWIW i'm not a big Grisham fan so fans might enjoy this more, it's hard to tell because I don't know how closely it followed the book.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Black Panther - First and most important, this is a very entertaining and enjoyable movie. Second, the ways they both worked within and bent genre conventions was really interesting (even though I'm sure I missed a lot because I'm not real familiar w/ one of those genres - the modern superhero thing). Third, the political risks and positions the movie took and explored were way out there on the edge of mainstream, pretty daring and very much called for. Strictly as a political matter one might say they didn't go far enough, but in the realm of making successful popular entertainment, I thought they did a fantastic job w/ this aspect. Highly recommended for any, and especially all, of those reasons.

whatwouldcooleydo?

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Watched it (for the first time ever) last night
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

directed by gorman bechard, presumably familiar to a bunch of folks here for his music docs. (id only seen the replacements one but found it terribly boring)

really enjoyed this. in a nutshell its about two serial killers that fall in love but its presented like a sort of true crime documentary. i felt like it was more successful at the self aware black comedy thing than a lot of similar movies ive seen. used a handful of slasher tropes really well but clearly never intended to be taken as an actual slasher movie. occasionally the winking nods got to be a bit too full of itself (mostly when they broke the fourth wall, which never felt necessary) but most of the humor landed for me and it was all really charmingly lo fi and just genuinely weird. probably wouldnt call it a great movie but id recommend it

Flea

Post by Flea »

directed by gorman bechard, presumably familiar to a bunch of folks here for his music docs. (id only seen the replacements one but found it terribly boring)

really enjoyed this. in a nutshell its about two serial killers that fall in love but its presented like a sort of true crime documentary. i felt like it was more successful at the self aware black comedy thing than a lot of similar movies ive seen. used a handful of slasher tropes really well but clearly never intended to be taken as an actual slasher movie. occasionally the winking nods got to be a bit too full of itself (mostly when they broke the fourth wall, which never felt necessary) but most of the humor landed for me and it was all really charmingly lo fi and just genuinely weird. probably wouldnt call it a great movie but id recommend it
You might enjoy

Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Flea wrote:

You might enjoy

no shit! thank you, i stumbled upon this on amazon a few months ago, watched the trailer, said what the hell is that, forgot to bookmark it and ive been trying to find it ever since. i will watch it for sure now

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

enjoyed it buut i wish it was a bit darker with the kid and his connection to the rats. and his weird puppets. lots of untapped creepiness really. also i had no idea that terrific michael jackson song was from a movie about rats

id been meaning to rewatch this for a while and it was just added to prime. really wonderful, peter sellers as brilliant as ever but far less slapstick. its a real shame he didnt have a full late career period. stuff like this feels like an almost untapped new level for his talent. now i feel like rereading the book and then trying out kosinski's other novels

this was pretty good. set itself up as a goofy slasher about a jack the ripper copycat but took a turn pretty early towards something more psychological about a twin that sees his brothers murder in a dream. not my usual bag but it moved along well and james spader played the role of twins fantastically. towards the end it got a bit overboard with unnecessary plot twists and diversions but overall i enjoyed it a lot

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Rewatched "Don't Look Back" over the weekend, and I had an epiphany in regards to understanding Mr. Zimmerman: don't even try.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Rewatched "Don't Look Back" over the weekend, and I had an epiphany in regards to understanding Mr. Zimmerman: don't even try.
He's not your lover, He's not your friend,
He is something that you'll never comprehend

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Image
Just found this, way cool and definitely worth 15 minutes for a film buff:

Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_dAxI9c8g
Anyone seen Juncture? If you can get this YouTube trailer to load, that’s me jumping out the church bell tower. It was a suicide fall. I’m trying to practice shameless self promotion because it seems like I’m sliding back into the Biz.

Flea

Post by Flea »

boyyourself wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_dAxI9c8g
Anyone seen Juncture? If you can get this YouTube trailer to load, that’s me jumping out the church bell tower. It was a suicide fall. I’m trying to practice shameless self promotion because it seems like I’m sliding back into the Biz.
That's pretty cool. I hope you got to make out with the hot nekkid chick.
Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I wish. Though I did get to watch watch her getting filmed chasing the priest (who I doubled for) through the church with a pistol firing bullets at him trying to kill his ass. It was dreamy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
boyyourself wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_dAxI9c8g
That's pretty cool. I hope you got to make out with the hot nekkid chick.
x2