Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by chuckrh »

watch this immediately!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^I concur

(Had no idea Mick Ronson ever toured with Dylan)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:^^^^I concur

Ronson was 1 of my first guitar heroes. Luckily I got to see him with Ian Hunter in a smallish club before he passed. & he is on fire (so is Bob!) in this. aside from the performances, i think the whole thing is a giant piss take. & hilarious! bob having more fun messing with people's perceptions & expectations. he's in a league of his own. you buy your ticket, you take the ride....
Last edited by chuckrh on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:watch this immediately!

Liked it a lot. Loved all the original footage from 75 but confused as to why Scorsese added a few fictional characters (Robert Altman's Jack Tanner & Stefan van Drop), as well as creating fictional storylines for Sharon Stone and Jim Gianopulos. Hell, there are even contemporary interviews with Dylan where he plays along with the made-up characters and plotlines. In my opinion, it doesn't really add anything to the film other than pranking the audience (I imagine there are many viewers who have no idea of these shenanigans and end up actually believing that KISS was the inspiration for the face paint :roll: ).

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/rolli ... 202149452/

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/rolling ... -fake.html
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

chuckrh wrote:
RolanK wrote:^^^^I concur

Ronson was 1 of my first guitar heroes. Luckily I got to see him with Ian Hunter in a smallish club before he passed. & he is on fire (so is Bob!) in this. aside from the performances, i think the whole thing is a giant piss take. & hilarious! bob having more fun messing with people's perceptions & expectations. he's in a league of his own. you buy your ticket, you take the ride....
Mine too. Bowie was one of my first musical obsessions back in my very early teens. Ronson was a huge part of that.

Totally agree on what has been said about Dylans performances on display here. Such a great artist, not only his songwriting genius, but the whole package.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I am really looking forward to seeing the Rolling Thunder movie, but I'm also reluctant because I have such great memories of those shows that I don't necessarily want to disturb. So far the reluctance has won out.

From what I've read, the debate over the fictional elements, etc seems amusing in light of the artificial construct of the tour, which was initially kind of an "anti-tour" until it got all formalized and arena-ized. See, e.g., the white face, the rotating cast of participants, some of whom had, shall we say, at most a tangential relationship to Dylan & the music, and the whole Renaldo & Clara weirdness. My immediate take is that the fictional element is Scorsese reflecting the spirit of the entire enterprise but again, I haven't actually seen the thing. I have heard that there's at least one clip from one of the shows I attended so I'm hoping I'll be able to say that I was in a movie w/ Dylan directed by Scorsese :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing the Rolling Thunder movie, but I'm also reluctant because I have such great memories of those shows that I don't necessarily want to disturb. So far the reluctance has won out.

From what I've read, the debate over the fictional elements, etc seems amusing in light of the artificial construct of the tour, which was initially kind of an "anti-tour" until it got all formalized and arena-ized. See, e.g., the white face, the rotating cast of participants, some of whom had, shall we say, at most a tangential relationship to Dylan & the music, and the whole Renaldo & Clara weirdness. My immediate take is that the fictional element is Scorsese reflecting the spirit of the entire enterprise but again, I haven't actually seen the thing. I have heard that there's at least one clip from one of the shows I attended so I'm hoping I'll be able to say that I was in a movie w/ Dylan directed by Scorsese :)
watch it bubba! the performance footage is phenomenal & the whole pseudo documentary is a hoot. i don't think it will ruin your memories of the tour (lucky man!). it looks like all the performances are from the first part before it moved to arenas. its so good i can even listen to joan baez! much respect for her but just not my cup of tea. her & dylan singing together is great in this though. there's some genuine documentary footage of her & bob being interviewed back in the day that is quite interesting where dylan tells her that he was quite disappointed when she got married. overall its a fascinating film & i'll definitely watch it again. here's a few performance clips netflix has put up on youtube. enjoy! i love 1 more cup of coffee as a song & hard rain will knock your sox off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgqOgMIwfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUD5snx-XOo

whatwouldcooleydo?

fascinating story. Hard to find but we streamed it via some service I've never heard of, we found it via a search on our Roku

whatwouldcooleydo?

had been decades since I'd last watched this. As so many pundits have pointed out, it's a perfect film for right now. Would have been nice for Andy to turn it down from 11 now and then, but nonetheless, it's riveting to see Sheriff Andy Matlock play such a menacing role

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:watch this immediately!

Well, it wasn't immediately but I did finally watch it.

Loved it. As "advertised" here so thanks for the commentary. I loved the fictional parts but it may have mattered that I knew what to expect. I think it fit the tone and tenor of the tour perfectly and in a few cases was a useful device for adding different perspectives (I would say "for advancing the story" if there were a story to advance). The Sharon Stone - "Just Like a Woman" story was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. There's a big hint about how Scorsese (Dylan?) approached this "caper" in the credits where all the major musicians are listed as playing parts, not themselves.

No surprise that Dylan was amazing. Could have done w/out the endless close ups but that doesn't detract from the performances themselves. "Hattie Carroll" is just overwhelming. Did you notice that the version of "Hurricane" has the original lyrics? Most importantly that the 2 guys "lied," not "probably lied" as on the officially issued single and album track per the CBS suits IIRC from the time.

There's way too much great Dylan to say that she stole the show, but OMG, I thought Joni Mitchell's "Coyote" was just fantastic. Literally gave me chills at one point. From what I remember of the shows at the time, McGuinn gets shortchanged in the film. I remember him being featured on multiple songs and playing a more prominent role in the band.

I forget who said the best line (maybe Ronee Blakely?) but it was a reported quote from Mick Ronson who said that Dylan had not spoken to him once on the entire tour. :o Dylan came off wonderfully in that it seemed pretty realistic: Brilliant, caustic, charming, self-absorbed, player of parts, keeping people guessing, resisting the pressure and fame as much as possible but manipulating it too, etc, etc - a kaleidoscope of personality parts. That bit about "mental marriage" was classic.

There were several scenes of musicians just gathering and playing for fun - I thought those were really special from a fan's perspective. We (ok, I) tend to idealize gatherings of musicians and imagine something like those spontaneous moments occurring. I hope they weren't staged because they definitely hit my sweet spot.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Trippy as fuck and demented in a pagan kinda way. Loved it.

Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Saw Grindhouse for the first time. I saw Planet Terror years ago but never the whole double feature with coming attractions. Great homage, though it was funny seeing a mock of 70's B movies which appeared to be physically damaged film, with 2007 era cell phones. Death proof was a slow start with a real kick in the gut end. I'd like to see the full version of Female Werewolves of the SS.

Flea

Post by Flea »

oilpiers wrote:Saw Grindhouse for the first time. I saw Planet Terror years ago but never the whole double feature with coming attractions. Great homage, though it was funny seeing a mock of 70's B movies which appeared to be physically damaged film, with 2007 era cell phones. Death proof was a slow start with a real kick in the gut end. I'd like to see the full version of Female Werewolves of the SS.
The 2 hour cut of Death Proof is superior to the truncated version that appeared in the double-feature.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Flea wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Saw Grindhouse for the first time. I saw Planet Terror years ago but never the whole double feature with coming attractions. Great homage, though it was funny seeing a mock of 70's B movies which appeared to be physically damaged film, with 2007 era cell phones. Death proof was a slow start with a real kick in the gut end. I'd like to see the full version of Female Werewolves of the SS.
The 2 hour cut of Death Proof is superior to the truncated version that appeared in the double-feature.
Interesting. It sure seemed long enough. 191 minutes total, so I guess it could not have been the full version. I saw Planet Terror on Netflix I think, but they never had Death Proof or Grindhouse. My son got me the blue ray for my birthday, along with a 2001 Tony Gwynn bobblehead, from a limited batch of 2000 made.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Flea wrote:Trippy as fuck and demented in a pagan kinda way. Loved it.

I saw the trailer for this and thought the scenery didn’t look very Swedish midsummer... but that’s perhaps not the point?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

RolanK wrote:

I saw the trailer for this and thought the scenery didn’t look very Swedish midsummer... but that’s perhaps not the point?
You are a master of understatement, and I would love to visit your country! Except maybe in winter. And everyone promises I can be the May Queen.
Now it's dark.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:

You are a master of understatement, and I would love to visit your country! Except maybe in winter. And everyone promises I can be the May Queen.
Deal. But remember I am in Norway. We do pagan midsummer celebrations with bonfires and shit as well but the Swedes (generally) add loads more booze. You are welcome anytime, Flea.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea

Post by Flea »

RolanK wrote:
Deal. But remember I am in Norway. We do pagan midsummer celebrations with bonfires and shit as well but the Swedes (generally) add loads more booze. You are welcome anytime, Flea.
All white people look the same to me.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It was the type of glossed-over biopic I anticipated, but Malek was excellent
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
100 million doses of LSD!!! :shock:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:Image
brilliant film. saw it yesterday

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

So I watched The Goonies last night in Yonkers, NY. I didn't hate it (was no Forrest Gump) but also didn't love it (was no Fast Times at Ridgemont High). Here are a few thoughts about the movie.
Why are they called The Goonies? They never explain that.
Who set all those booby traps that they encounter on the way to the treasure? If it was the pirates themselves then why would they care about people finding their treasure after they are dead? Did the ship go there and then get trapped? I wasn't clear on that.
Chunk was a very tolerant kid in this movie. If my friends had called me Chunk, I would have found new friends.
I found it funny that they reference Gremlins in this movie as I think that flick is much better.
The villains were fun to watch. The prison escape was a bit too easy though. He only had to knock out 1 guard to get all the way out of the building? It must be a minimum security prison.
I may have liked this better if I had seen it in the 80s but I can't be sure. I also saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and thought that was very good.
I liked the music in the movie...both the score and the songs.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

I really enjoyed this documentary!

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Bill in CT wrote:So I watched The Goonies last night in Yonkers, NY. I didn't hate it (was no Forrest Gump) but also didn't love it (was no Fast Times at Ridgemont High). Here are a few thoughts about the movie.
Who set all those booby traps that they encounter on the way to the treasure? If it was the pirates themselves then why would they care about people finding their treasure after they are dead? Did the ship go there and then get trapped? I wasn't clear on that.
Chunk was a very tolerant kid in this movie. If my friends had called me Chunk, I would have found new friends.
I found it funny that they reference Gremlins in this movie as I think that flick is much better.
The villains were fun to watch. The prison escape was a bit too easy though. He only had to knock out 1 guard to get all the way out of the building? It must be a minimum security prison.
I may have liked this better if I had seen it in the 80s but I can't be sure. I also saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and thought that was very good.
I saw Goonies in a movie-theater in the 80's when I was a kid, and I remember liking it a lot.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

Bill in CT wrote:So I watched The Goonies last night in Yonkers, NY. I didn't hate it (was no Forrest Gump) but also didn't love it (was no Fast Times at Ridgemont High). Here are a few thoughts about the movie.

Bill - it's a kids film. Seeing it as an adult for the first time is an entirely different experience.
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Flea wrote:

Bill - it's a kids film. Seeing it as an adult for the first time is an entirely different experience.
As I said, I saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and quite enjoyed it. I think The Goonies is overrated and I think nostalgia is the main reason why it seems to be a sacred cow film for many people. I like many movies that were made for young people. I just don’t think The Goonies lives up to its reputation.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

few weeks late on posting this. Can't recommend this highly enough, absolutely loved it! Ostensibly a country music movie, but it's more than that. See this if you can

whatwouldcooleydo?

The VelociPastor: absolutely THE must-see film of 2019

Following the death of his parents (and hoo boy, more on that later), young priest Doug (Gregory James Cohan) travels to China while wondering whether he’s lost his faith in the wake of such a personal tragedy. Instead, he encounters a dying woman, who gives him what appears to be a normal fossil of a dinosaur claw (such a common gift to entrust with strangers you meet dying of arrow wounds in the forest!)—at least until he gets cut by the claw, and the next thing we know, he’s back in America, where a random encounter with a prostitute named Carol (Alyssa Kempinski) reveals the truth behind his mysterious blackouts: He’s turning into a dinosaur and murdering people. Carol convinces Doug that he can actually do more good as a bloodthirsty dino than as a priest, killing bad people who deserve it, and after some initial hesitation, Doug is fully on board, and possibly falling for Carol at the same time. Unfortunately for him, a gang of drug-dealing ninjas finds out he’s making life harder for them—and they decide to take out the half-man, half-dinosaur. I know, it’s easy to confuse this film with On Golden Pond, but you can distinguish the two with this easy trick: The VelociPastor doesn’t contain Henry Fonda’s final acting performance, and it does feature a pimp named Frankie Mermaid getting his throat ripped out in a church confessional booth.

and I'll be "that guy": shouldn't it be The VelociPriest?