Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flying Rabbit

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Horrible. I really, really wanted this to work. The first WW was great. This one....nope.

This has been in my queue forever. Finally watched it. Good stuff. A bit talky at times, and not *really* focused on the idea of them becoming more alike. It was more a doc on Genesis P-Orridge and her place in Industrial music and Psychic-TV. If you dig that type of music, you'll probably enjoy the doc.

Soooo good. One cannot fathom the songwriting amazingness of the Gibb boys. Highly recommended.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:38 am

Horrible. I really, really wanted this to work. The first WW was great. This one....nope.

This has been in my queue forever. Finally watched it. Good stuff. A bit talky at times, and not *really* focused on the idea of them becoming more alike. It was more a doc on Genesis P-Orridge and her place in Industrial music and Psychic-TV. If you dig that type of music, you'll probably enjoy the doc.

Soooo good. One cannot fathom the songwriting amazingness of the Gibb boys. Highly recommended.
The Bee Gees documentary is fantastic!

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

chuckrh wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 am
Flying Rabbit wrote:
Yeah, although afterwards I was thinking about how they didn't mention the Sgt. Pepper film :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My wife makes fun of me because I've watched the Bee Gees doc four times already.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:44 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 am
Flying Rabbit wrote:
Yeah, although afterwards I was thinking about how they didn't mention the Sgt. Pepper film :lol:
They kind of did by mentioning that the brothers covered The Beatles, but did not explicitly mention the project. The film also neglected to reveal they had a sister who sometimes performed with them in their early career.
Now it's dark.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:01 pm
My wife makes fun of me because I've watched the Bee Gees doc four times already.
Hah no shame.
Flea wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:50 pm
They kind of did by mentioning that the brothers covered The Beatles, but did not explicitly mention the project. The film also neglected to reveal they had a sister who sometimes performed with them in their early career.
Ohhh yeah. Found this:
But Lesley was not ­interested in showbiz. Instead she was to become became a top breeder of Staffordshire bull terriers, married to an Australian ­salesman, Keith Evans, and having seven children.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Love stories are tough. They can feel pushed and forced, can be overly sugary and often fail to address the nuances of falling in love.

Sylvie's Love doesn't fall into these pratfalls and is a great piece of filmmaking. You may have an urge to liken it to La La Land (mostly because of the jazz musician/love motif), but this is much better. Hollywood hasn't produced a lot of positive, period pieces with mostly African-American casts. So, right out the gate you're seeing something that feels different. Add in a fantastic backdrop, exceptional soundtrack, acting, cinematography and you have a great film that'll make you feel warm n' fuzzy after watching it.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

terrible. had some potential (this teenager kills her friend and the parents help cover it up) but it did an awful job selling it as an escalating thriller. even for horror movie standards i just couldnt suspend disbelief that the parents would act this way. took me out of it from the start

hadnt seen this since maybe 2012 and while it wasnt quite as funny the second time the rudd/segel chemistry remains a delight and the movie overall has to be about as wholesome as these kind of big budget comedies get.

maybe hes doing more writing/behind camera work but it seems like jason segels kinda disappeared the last few years

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:06 pm
Slappa da bass mon!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flying Rabbit wrote:

the first time i saw PTV3 the director was at the show, and I chatted w/ her a bit. i thought the doc was ok but as you said more focused on Gen.

btw, there are a bunch of films she directed up on Criterion now...i watched the Alan Vega and some of the Tony Conrad ones last night, before finishing with:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067341/?ref_=tt_urv

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:04 pm
btw, there are a bunch of films she directed up on Criterion now...i watched the Alan Vega and some of the Tony Conrad ones last night
Yeah, that's where I watched it. Pretty excited that the Julien Temple Dr. Feelgood doc, Oil City is coming next month.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

This isn't going to be everyone's forte', but it's incredible how a poignant film like this stays underground and hidden until Scorsese+George Lucas' film preservation crew give it the ol' 4K scan upgrade. Fascinating look at African immigration into France.

more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soleil_O

https://www.espn.com/watch/catalog/1dd6 ... inite-race

About 10 years ago, a book came out that sparked the whole barefoot running fad. The problem is, a lot of what the book is about -- was untrue, or at least shifted. Colonialism, greed, capitalism, hubris of the US -- all here. But so is a great story of survival in the face of adversity.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 pm

About 10 years ago, a book came out that sparked the whole barefoot running fad. The problem is, a lot of what the book is about -- was untrue, or at least shifted. Colonialism, greed, capitalism, hubris of the US -- all here. But so is a great story of survival in the face of adversity.
I did like the real local guy saying the bandwagon barefoot runners are idiots. They did it because they couldn't afford shoes.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Flying Rabbit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 pm

I did like the real local guy saying the bandwagon barefoot runners are idiots. They did it because they couldn't afford shoes.
I found it slightly odd that there was no pre or postscript saying that the filmmakers had reached out to McDougall for comment. All of his bits were archival podcast/tv interviews. That moment said more than anything else could've about the book.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Made it about 15 minutes and couldn't stand molly any longer. Clearly a well intentioned movie and a perspective hollywood could certainly explore more after decades of raunchy dudecoms, and maybe she got better as the movie progressed, but her "only I, soon to be yale student, really matter" shtick at the beginning really rubbed me the wrong way. not that it was unrealistic, i knew plenty of people like that, but i had no interest in watching it on screen and it seemed out of place in such a woke movie

A college favorite of mine. Hadn't seen it since but still found it hilarious fortunately, even if it hasnt aged quite as smoothly as i loveyou man. I forgot just how many wet hot american summer cast members are in this and I somehow also forgot how central kiss is to the plot. Odd that there was no cameo!

Really wanted to like this but it felt oddly undercooked. Has a decent if generic plot (club owner forced to kill a guy to clear his gambling debts) and a tremendous lead in gazzara, plus some delightfully surreal burlesque sequences, but too many questionable camera angles made it hard to follow and it was never as tense or interesting as I'd like a crime flick to be.

Every once in a while I quit futzing around with dumb shit and watch a classic. Hadnt seen this, or I think any scorsese actually. just hasnt been my kind of movie till recently. Anyway hell of a movie! I somehow managed to go in totally ignorant of pretty much it's entire plot but I think I would have enjoyed it anyway. problematic but entertaining and while it's hard for a performance this good not to elicit copycats missing the point I think it threaded the needle of putting a spotlight on a bad man quite skillfully

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:12 am
Sylvie's Love doesn't fall into these pratfalls and is a great piece of filmmaking.
Thanks for this: Haven't found the promos/"coming attractions" very interesting so good to know and hopefully will check it out.
Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:02 am
Hadnt seen this, or I think any scorsese actually.
Well that was a surprise. If nothing else you've got a lot to look forward to. Given the length and breadth of his career not everything he's done is great or classic, but even so, even the lesser ones have their redeeming virtues and you can go a long way before you get to the lesser ones.

Mank - I enjoyed this but didn't think it was as great as some have said. Probably an expectations thing. Appreciated the way they mimicked the structure of Citizen Kane. Learned a couple of things and definitely worth watching.

David Copperfield (new version) - Also enjoyable but a lesser film than Mank. OTOH it didn't aim as high. Something about a tongue in cheekish version of Dickens seems a bit too meta, but amusing and the time goes by quickly.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Our man P Hood makes a brief appearance in this. I enjoyed the movie overall, it tugged on the heart strings but also felt a little forced with some of the messages it was trying to deliver. It was filmed in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, a stunningly gorgeous area.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Amazing documentary about the anti-Scientology

tinnitus photography

watched Saturday Night Fever for the first time last night.

surprised to see the Bee Gees do a lot of song writing of songs they didn't perform. that rape scene was cringey. and you knew one of the knuckleheads was gonna fall off the bridge sooner or later.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:12 am

Love stories are tough. They can feel pushed and forced, can be overly sugary and often fail to address the nuances of falling in love.

Sylvie's Love doesn't fall into these pratfalls and is a great piece of filmmaking. You may have an urge to liken it to La La Land (mostly because of the jazz musician/love motif), but this is much better. Hollywood hasn't produced a lot of positive, period pieces with mostly African-American casts. So, right out the gate you're seeing something that feels different. Add in a fantastic backdrop, exceptional soundtrack, acting, cinematography and you have a great film that'll make you feel warm n' fuzzy after watching it.
This may be a case of having too high expectations but I was disappointed in this one. Nothing wrong with it, the 2 hours passed quickly enough and the acting was fine but other than the Black people just being people in a positive way angle (which is welcome) I didn't find much there there. In particular the story was about as "by the numbers" as it gets. Oh, the soundtrack was excellent.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I just finished this with my kids, and it is pretty awesome. The movie is so much deeper than I would have expected. Metaphysics and music!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_(2020_film)

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

"Look out he's got a broken milk carton!"

I mean, it *could* be a prequel to Taxi Driver. Early DePalma.

Son accuses mom of killing her husband/his dad.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

In which some cruise ship wreck survivors unknowingly take shelter on an abandoned nazi torture ship

not a good movie for a lot of reasons (biggest being there was really no reason it had to be a nazi ship as opposed to just any random ghost ship. Felt like a big whiff as a plot. Also it blatantly stole the blood shower scene from psycho which was kinda weird!) But fun enough. All took place on a boat so it had some pretty good set pieces even if the kills were pretty predictable

tinnitus photography

this movie was quite brilliant and moving.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623008/re ... ef_=tt_urv

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Judy - I had heard Renee Zellweger's performance was great, and that was an understatement. One of the best performances I can remember seeing. The movie's good enough, but the reason to watch is RZ.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Enjoyed this a lot. The actor who plays Ali nails it.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 am

I want to watchh this, but I know I will have nightmares about McGowan's fucked-up teeth trying to bite me.
Now it's dark.