Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
Watched this a couple weeks back. So good. It's streaming on HBO now for those who have access to such a thing.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

never gets old, love this one!

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

fantastic!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

really excellent & very moving

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I enjoyed this a lot. It didn't hurt that I attended the 2 Pearl Jam shows at Wrigley Field in August 2016 that are featured in the film. There is a lot of Cubs stuff in the movie. As I'm a Red Sox fan, I didn't mind that. I would probably feel differently if I were a White Sox or Cardinals fan.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So one of the benefits of the Thanksgiving weekend is time with the kid and the kid's mom. After we got to their place Saturday after the big family do, the kid wanted to crash early. The kid's mom suggested some movies the kid didn't specify wanting to watch with me, and we ended up with Big Hero 6:

I was mightily impressed. It was a very dense movie--how they packed so much into it is a bit of a mystery to me. It's funny, but also moving and exciting. It's really good.

The next day, the kid wanted to watch Despicable Me with me, which I was up for. I understood the concept and happened to be wearing the Villaincon International shirt she'd gotten me a little while back. And so:

This, too, was very good, though I think Big Hero 6 was a cut above it artistically. Still, I enjoyed it a lot. Enough, in fact, that I stayed later than I'd planned so we could watch:

Now, I liked the first one a lot. It was a nice variation on Annie, with superweapons. Take that, Daddy Warbucks! I think I liked the second one even a little better. I'm really looking forward to this one:

And really, who wouldn't look forward to that?

Both the Despicable Me movies are great fun and worth seeing with your local kids if the occasion arises. Big Hero 6 is a slightly older movie and you could probably enjoy it without kids to help out--but they probably would.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I went and saw Lady Bird, again. I took my 15 year old daughter this time. She said she had never related to something so much in her life. After the movie I took her on a little tour of the places in Sacramento where the film was shot.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We've been helping a friend out with a seven year old that she is fostering. He's with us most Saturdays and they both stayed with us while our friend was waiting to close on a new house. This past Saturday Beth convinced me to come along to see Coco with she and the boy and it was well worth it. Surprisingly deep and the kind of originality I can't ever remember seeing in a Disney movie (not that I see a lot of them). I highly recommend it for kids and adults. I'm pretty sure I'll watch it again when it comes to home viewing.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

sactochris wrote:I went and saw Lady Bird, again. I took my 15 year old daughter this time. She said she had never related to something so much in her life. After the movie I took her on a little tour of the places in Sacramento where the film was shot.
Been dying to see this since reading about it months ago

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
sactochris wrote:I went and saw Lady Bird, again. I took my 15 year old daughter this time. She said she had never related to something so much in her life. After the movie I took her on a little tour of the places in Sacramento where the film was shot.
It's a fucking masterpiece!
Keep calm and have a cigar

whatwouldcooleydo?

sactochris wrote:
It's a fucking masterpiece!
that is what they say! Saw that it got the highest Rotten Tomatoes ranking since Toy Story 2, for whatever that's worth

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Forgot to say that I also saw this one while my wife was away. Really liked it but even if I hadn't, the "investment" of time and money would have been worth it for the single moment where the cop car pulls up and the main character slowly rises w/ his hands in the air. Said everything there is to say in a few frames.
Excellent rec. If i were a 15 year old girl living in Sacramento I think I might have felt the earth move. Even as an old man from the east it was the kind of movie going experience there just isn't enough of these days.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Hitman's Bodyguard and The Meyerowitz Stories would not seem to have much in common, but I watched them both this wkend and liked them both a lot. Neither had big ambitions but I thought they hit their targets dead on and were just plain old enjoyable movies. The acting was excellent in both, though not comparable ("serious" in Meyerowitz and tongue in cheek in Hitman).

I heard this but haven't followed up to see if it's true: Is Woody Allen's new move actually about an affair between a guy and a woman that goes south when the guy starts, ahem, seeing the woman's daughter (or maybe step daughter)? If so, how does that movie get made? Who could sit through watching it knowing what we know?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Chuck Grassley condemns the very existence of this thread

Flea

Post by Flea »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing MO is excellent.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

wife and I both have been sick, so last night we really needed some brainless comedy. And this delivered. Better than it should have been, primarily due to material-elevating performances from Kate McKinnon, Olivia Munn, and Jennifer Aniston. As the late Dennis Green said, "Office Christmas Party is what we thought it was!!!" :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I saw a Star War!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer

I heard about this. What did you think of it? I'm curious to see it, but suspect it's got a high gore level.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I heard about this. What did you think of it? I'm curious to see it, but suspect it's got a high gore level.
I liked it, good film, but it is violent as fuck. If that's an issue for you, I would say do not watch

Flea

Post by Flea »

I liked it, good film, but it is violent as fuck. If that's an issue for you, I would say do not watch
Cmon, it wasn't THAT violent. Have you ever seen anything by Takashi Miike?
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I liked it, good film, but it is violent as fuck. If that's an issue for you, I would say do not watch
Flea wrote:Cmon, it wasn't THAT violent. Have you ever seen anything by Takashi Miike?
When a comparison like that is made to a director I've never heard of, I'm pretty sure the violence level is too high for me to enjoy. Just a rule of thumb, but those have served me pretty well over the years.

John A Arkansawyer

We did get to watch Minions, which I enjoyed but thought wasn't quite as good as the Despicable Me movies:

Then when I was stuck in a hotel room away from home and blue and wishing I were with loved ones, I caught Christmas in Connecticut on TCM. It hasn't dated badly and was very enjoyable, exactly what I needed:

Finally, yesterday, the kid and the kid's mom and I had a double feature evening. First we did the seasonal thing and watched The Santa Clause:

You have to suspend some disbelief with this one. I mean, you shave your beard in front of someone and let them see it grow right back, and your story gains a lot in credibility. Easy peasy. I eventually remembered this isn't science fiction but very light fantasy, relaxed, and got a lot of laughs from it. And finally, the big show:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm really looking forward to this one:

And really, who wouldn't look forward to that?

Both the Despicable Me movies are great fun and worth seeing with your local kids if the occasion arises.
As is this one. I knew the good guys would win, but I was surprised at exactly how it played out. I shouldn't've been, probably, but I was. The villain in this one was the best so far. If they make another one, we just might see it in the movie theater.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Go. Just go. You don't need to know anything about it. What the fuck are you waiting for?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming