Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brettac1

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by brettac1 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:33 pm

Stunning film, regardless your level of interest in professional wrestling.
Can't wait to see this. The Von Erichs need a 12 hour docuseries made on their story. Maybe the film getting some acclaim will make that happen. Til then, the gold standard remains the Lapsed Fan podcast series "The Lamentable Tragedy of World Class" (which is incredible and I have listened to it multiple times).
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

:shock:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A double feature last nite.

John Wick - Exactly what I was looking for and exactly what it should have been.

Elvis - I don't remember much about the reviews on this one, but it is better than I was expecting. I thought Austin Butler was very good especially compared to the thanklessness of the task as Elvis and that Tom Hanks's performance was excellent which turns out, after a quick search, to be very much a minority view.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:07 am
A double feature last nite.

John Wick - Exactly what I was looking for and exactly what it should have been.

Elvis - I don't remember much about the reviews on this one, but it is better than I was expecting. I thought Austin Butler was very good especially compared to the thanklessness of the task as Elvis and that Tom Hanks's performance was excellent which turns out, after a quick search, to be very much a minority view.
PS Butler's close resemblance to John Travolta circa Saturday Night Fever was fairly distracting.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Irie! All Hollywooded up say I & I!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Devil in a Blue Dress, the movie version of Walter Mosely's classic detective story is pretty good. It has Denzel, so it's halfway home from the get go. It's hard to say what keeps the movie in the "good but not great" category, maybe the pacing? But it's a solid movie worth watching. As always depictions of African American life in the postwar era are shocking in the normality of the brutality and oppressiveness of the all encompassing racism of the times. It's the very matter of factness of it that gives it it's power.

The Accountant was a fun watch but suffered by being 2 movies that never quite came together. It was part nerdy thriller and part action/gore avenging shoot 'em up and the attempt to merge them was interesting but imho unsuccessful. But like I said, a good attempt plus it does have Ben Affleck (apparently not a universally loved actor but I like watching him) and Anna Kendrick ('nuff said tho not a great role).

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:15 pm
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:33 pm

Stunning film, regardless your level of interest in professional wrestling.
Can't wait to see this. The Von Erichs need a 12 hour docuseries made on their story. Maybe the film getting some acclaim will make that happen. Til then, the gold standard remains the Lapsed Fan podcast series "The Lamentable Tragedy of World Class" (which is incredible and I have listened to it multiple times).
I finally watched this last night and it was a bit of a miss for me. Maybe I had too high of expectations or got too distracted by various inaccuracies but it didn't quite deliver on what I hoped it would be. The story is simply too big to be boiled down to a 2 hour movie, it really spans decades. Honestly, it's probably too bleak to be successfully dramatized at all. Hell, they had to completely omit Chris even existing to try to keep it from being impossibly sad (even though it's true). For me, it may have been better if the Von Erichs were used as the basis for a fictional family rather than calling it based on a true story. It wasn't a terrible movie by any means but felt it had a lot of unrealized potential and gets a little too scattershot at times. Some great performances, though. Thought Holt McCallany was especially good as Fritz. The wrestling scenes were well-done and the recreation of the Sportatorium was fantastic. I'll keep holding out hope this story will get the docuseries it deserves. Hell, it blows me away that there hasn't been a definitive independent book written on the family to this point, either.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more