Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 am
Finished of Homecoming week in Athens, seeing Ragged Heart at Cine on the Sunday.

Shot in and around Athens with local actors, and a certain rock dude currently living in Portland, Or as one of the supporting characters.

Really enjoyed it.
Patterson Hood plays "a label exec not to be trifled with." I can imagine the glee with which he played this part :) :)

Interestingly, to me anyway, the note at the end that requests support for local artists appearing in the movie doesn't list PH but rather DBT.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:57 am
RolanK wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 am
Finished of Homecoming week in Athens, seeing Ragged Heart at Cine on the Sunday.

Shot in and around Athens with local actors, and a certain rock dude currently living in Portland, Or as one of the supporting characters.

Really enjoyed it.
Patterson Hood plays "a label exec not to be trifled with." I can imagine the glee with which he played this part :) :)

Interestingly, to me anyway, the note at the end that requests support for local artists appearing in the movie doesn't list PH but rather DBT.
Those direct to the different bands/artists pages on the interwebs. Same thing with some of the other actors, Kudzu Samurai and Monsoon I believe.

I could imagine PH doing a pretty good mafia capo based on his appearance in this one.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Deep Water - First things first: Ana De Arma is beautiful, electric and steals every scene she's in. Otherwise, Deep Water is a complete waste of time. I can imagine the elevator pitch for this one: Beautiful psychopathic woman marries rich sociopathic man. Mayhem ensues. I remember this movie getting some seriously good reviews, something about the thriller reinvented for the 21st century. I have no idea what movie those reviewers saw but I can't believe it was the one I watched.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

May the fourth be with you! Happy Star Wars Day!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Now playing on PBS as part of their American Masters series. Highly recommended if you haven't already seen it. It's also streaming on PBS' website.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaster ... ryEALw_wcB

Kudzu Guillotine

A friend of mine that's into off the wall, off the beaten path type movies introduced me to the likes of Heavy Metal Parking Lot and Dancing Outlaw years ago. One of her more recent recommendations was Finders Keepers which I just now got around to watching. Highly recommended if you haven't already seen it.

Kudzu Guillotine

I saw this yesterday, my first movie in a theatre since 2019. I haven't read the book and I only read a little about the movie before seeing it. I enjoyed it but it also felt good see a movie in a theatre after so long. I know in this day and age we can get much the same experience by watching a movie at home but I'm also always going to enjoy going to the theatre to see a movie. Well, as long as it's not overly crowded. I've gotten to where I can't deal with that anymore.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:21 am
A friend of mine that's into off the wall, off the beaten path type movies introduced me to the likes of Heavy Metal Parking Lot and Dancing Outlaw years ago. One of her more recent recommendations was Finders Keepers which I just now got around to watching. Highly recommended if you haven't already seen it.

That film is epic.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 am
I saw this yesterday, my first movie in a theatre since 2019. I haven't read the book and I only read a little about the movie before seeing it. I enjoyed it but it also felt good see a movie in a theatre after so long. I know in this day and age we can get much the same experience by watching a movie at home but I'm also always going to enjoy going to the theatre to see a movie. Well, as long as it's not overly crowded. I've gotten to where I can't deal with that anymore.

https://www.theatlantic.com/books/archi ... er/670479/
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Because one of my hobbies is following right-wing extremism, I watched "Alex's War" this weekend (I pirated it since I did not want to give money to a filmmaker who was essentially trying to sanitize Alex Jones for a broader audience who may see the film). It wasn't *as terrible* as I had expected, but was not good. I do recommend the Knowledge Fight podcast if you're interested in the subject.

https://variety.com/2022/film/reviews/a ... 29491/amp/

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Watched "The Gray Man" & was very disappointed. The books are a guilty pleasure for me & Netflix totally blew it. They obviously spent money on it but it's like dressing a pig up in silk. Not recommended.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:39 am
Watched "The Gray Man" & was very disappointed. The books are a guilty pleasure for me & Netflix totally blew it. They obviously spent money on it but it's like dressing a pig up in silk. Not recommended.
I started watching this the other day with my oldest son, he is 16, and after about 15-20 minutes he suggested we watch something else instead and we went for Inglorious Basterds which we both enjoyed very much.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Had an 8-hour flight yesterday, so watched Interstellar, Arrival and A Promising Young Woman
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

last movie i watched was Blood, Sweat and Vinyl, a documentary about the Hydra Head, Neurot and Constellation record labels.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I had been meaning to watch Leaving Las Vegas for the past tenth of twenty-five years and just got around to it. What a phenomenal movie!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:05 pm
I had been meaning to watch Leaving Las Vegas for the past tenth of twenty-five years and just got around to it. What a phenomenal movie!
So depressing though. I couldn't finish it at the time & haven't gone back.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

This is fantastic!

tinnitus photography

The Changeling. good one.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:20 pm
The Changeling. good one.
Is that a new film or the old one that starred George C Scott (I think).

tinnitus photography

the old one, not sure if anyone made a remake but probably given the dearth of creativity in Hollywood.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:42 pm
the old one, not sure if anyone made a remake but probably given the dearth of creativity in Hollywood.
Ya, from what I remember that was a pretty good movie. George C was always good. I hardly watch any tv or movies these days, at least new stuff. My concentration powers aren't good right now & mostly I don't care. All the super hero films pushed me over the cliff.

tinnitus photography

i've had a subscription to Criterion for 2-3 years now and it's awesome. highly recommended.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:00 pm
i've had a subscription to Criterion for 2-3 years now and it's awesome. highly recommended.
Criterion is showing the Flaming Lips Space Bubble Film. It's really good. I saw it via another method.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Seconded. I was a "charter member." So much cool stuff on it.

tinnitus photography

that Weird Al movie kinda sucked! some funny bits but not nearly enough.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am
Seconded. I was a "charter member." So much cool stuff on it.
Love Criterion. Kanopy is quite good in the same way, and free through many public or university libraries.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Saw Glass Onion last weekend. Enjoyed it. As best as I can remember I liked it more than I liked Knives Out. I was particularly pleased that the movie theater parking lot was almost full and our theater was just sort of sold out. Perhaps there's a future for movies...

tinnitus photography

I have ~20 min to go in The Eiger Sanction. some really cool mountaineering footage. Some classic Clint Eastwood lines in there too. A bit cringey in terms of sexism though.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:17 pm
I have ~20 min to go in The Eiger Sanction. some really cool mountaineering footage. Some classic Clint Eastwood lines in there too. A bit cringey in terms of sexism though.
Ya, a lot of that stuff from the 70s is a bit cringey nowadays. Still good films. I was born in 1961 so the 70s were when I was really growing up.