Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:10 pm
I've finally decided to work my way through the MCU. I'm through Captain America: Civil War (which has been my favorite so far)
I enjoyed the Thor movies. Good, silly fun. Also, I thought Captain Marvel was pretty good. Best of all: the Guardians of the Galaxy films.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Excellent

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:10 pm
I've finally decided to work my way through the MCU. I'm through Captain America: Civil War (which has been my favorite so far)
The author Keith R.A. DeCandido has an ongoing rewatch of many superhero films (MCU and otherwise) at the page linked below. His reviews are worth a look (only after seeing a film cause spoilers).

https://www.tor.com/series/the-great-su ... e-rewatch/
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

To the best of my recollection, the movie version of Jane Harper's The Dry is a very faithful rendering of the book, and that's a good thing. Probably not "great" but more than good enough for an enjoyable evening's watch.

Based on what I've read, Summer of Soul will probably be the movie that gets me back in to a theater. It sounds awesome. Anybody seen it yet?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Summer of Soul - See this movie. Right now. Do not pass Go and do not collect $200 until you have seen this movie. Quite possibly the greatest musical documentary ever made. It will take some time before I can make that judgment in any calm, rational way, but there's no doubt it's a contender. And it's driving me crazy that I never heard of the events covered by the film until I started hearing the buzz about the movie. Incredible performances throughout and the political context is brilliantly handled, quite illuminating and very on point for the times we live in right now.

This was the first movie I've seen in a theater in quite some time and it was well worth it. If you've got all the bells and whistles at home, it might be ok on tv (hulu) but everyone else should do themselves a favor and get to their local cinema.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:15 pm
Summer of Soul - See this movie. Right now. Do not pass Go and do not collect $200 until you have seen this movie. Quite possibly the greatest musical documentary ever made. It will take some time before I can make that judgment in any calm, rational way, but there's no doubt it's a contender. And it's driving me crazy that I never heard of the events covered by the film until I started hearing the buzz about the movie. Incredible performances throughout and the political context is brilliantly handled, quite illuminating and very on point for the times we live in right now.

This was the first movie I've seen in a theater in quite some time and it was well worth it. If you've got all the bells and whistles at home, it might be ok on tv (hulu) but everyone else should do themselves a favor and get to their local cinema.
I'm not quite ready to head to the cinema yet (as you are well aware bubba) but have this downloaded. Will be watching within the next few days. Thanks for the head's up. On a completely different tack, I watched "Army of the Dead" last night & it was fun. Gory, but not over the top. There have been bloodier episodes of "Walking Dead".

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:15 pm

Watching now. Excellent!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:38 am
Not bad. Doesn't take much prodding for me to watch a new Bill Murray film.
those are olives not ice cubes.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

On Hulu...

Really enjoyed this film.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flea wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:40 pm

Nice
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

good film

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Honest Thief is a laughably, outrageously bad movie, but not bad or quirky enough to be cult-y or anything like that. A complete failure of imagination and effort, it never rises above tired cliches. Partially but minimally redeemed in my personal case by several positive mentions of my home city. OTOH, it is particularly annoying that other than a couple of aerial establishing shots of the skyline, the makers of the movie did not even attempt to make the setting look like Boston, where the bulk of the movie supposedly takes place. Why set a movie in Boston if you're not going to make it look like Boston?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Not bad aside from terrible fake Russian accents

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:20 am
good film

I enjoyed this as well
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Fantastic!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:08 pm
Fantastic!
What is/was this?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:20 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Fantastic!
What is/was this?
Pay per view concert/movie that was streamed on Sunday. Bob did something very different with the concept. Here's the setlist:
Dylan - Shadow Kingdom
1) Masterpiece!
2) Most Likely You Go Your Way
3) Queen Jane
4) I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight
5) Tom Thumb
6) Tombstone Blues
7) To Be Alone With You
8) What Was It You Wanted!
9) Forever Young
10) Pledging My Time
11) Wicked Messenger!
12) Watching the River Flow
13) Baby Blue!

Outstanding! Check your email. ;)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 am
Pay per view concert/movie that was streamed on Sunday. Bob did something very different with the concept. Here's the setlist:
Nothing from the new one? That's disappointing. I was hoping maybe a complete playthrough--or at least a song or two.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:56 am
chuckrh wrote:
Nothing from the new one? That's disappointing. I was hoping maybe a complete playthrough--or at least a song or two.
The newest song is the one from "Oh Mercy". I think there will be another show with later material. This was set in a 40s juke joint complete with costumes. Bob's voice sounds great & he doesn't fuck with the fans (as he do) too much. It's really good.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:56 am
chuckrh wrote:
The subtitle is The Early Songs of Bob Dylan. To me the "early songs" are pre-electric or maybe pre- motorcycle accident or maybe thru the original recordings of The Basement Tapes but what do I know?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:15 pm
The subtitle is The Early Songs of Bob Dylan. To me the "early songs" are pre-electric or maybe pre- motorcycle accident or maybe thru the original recordings of The Basement Tapes but what do I know?
You know, it's a very long song list. ;-) It does explain the lack of twenty-first century tunes, though. I withdraw my objection.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Fantastic!
I can see it now: It's 50 years in the future and the pandemic has been virtually forgotten. Some grad student gets a hold of this video, sees everyone in the band wearing masks and writes her dissertation on the meaning of masks in Dylan performances, referencing Renaldo and Clara of course. LOL.

About 2/3 through and this is just wonderful.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Real Inglorious Bastards - Short, kind of astonishing, little known true story of a small group of Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany who infiltrate back into the Reich as intelligence agents in 1944/45. I've never heard anything about this before and it blew me away because it's true and those guys really did that.