Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

From the Not As Smart As He Looks--And That's Not Saying Much! Dept:

In my teenage years, I went to the movie theater three separate times to see Nashville. So I blame Robert Altman for my gullibility.

I was looking at YouTube and thought a scene from Margin Call looked interesting. It was interesting, so I watched another. I watched probably a dozen clips, fascinated by this absolutely sober boardroom drama intertwined with the heavy-metal doctor/investor, the Angry Man who watched the economy twerking down the drain, the lucky callow kids and their Jedi mentor, and the wonderfully weird cameos, and wondered when the stories would come together. Then I looked more carefully. I'd been on a Finance Movies channel which fed me scenes from Margin Call and The Big Short.

I thought they were the same fucking movie! And I guess in a sense they are, except that they are also totally opposite in almost every way. I think. I'm not sure I'm the guy to ask, unless I'm the guy who stumbled onto the pyrite candybar of truth, in which case, ask me for some stock tips.

But seriously. I think I was misled by a desire for justice. I wanted to see the scumbags in the first movie lose their money to the cast of characters in the second. It turned out the scumbags just took money from people who trusted them and made out pretty well by any standards but theirs. The money the cast of characters took from the scumbags was just the cost of scumbags doing business. It's the crumbs that fell from the system's mouth while it ate America's lunch. So there's always a way to make money! Crumbs, corpses, caddying for a crime lord. Is this a great country or what?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Finally caught up with The Theory of Everything the other night and enjoyed it a lot. Eddie Redmayne was of course fantastic, no surprise there, but I thought the movie overall was pretty high quality. The odd thing for me, especially considering the subject, was how the movie itself seemed to unspool removed from time: Evidence of the changing times (60s, 70s and beyond) was virtually non-existent and even within the plot it was hard to know how much time had passed between events. Even babies just kind of appeared w/out any sense of a pregnancy having evolved. But not a major criticism. I do have to re read a Brief History of Time, though. Maybe i'll understand a bit more of it the 2nd time around.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

So, I saw this on some list and pulled the trigger last night. Pretty interesting movie. If you've ever been a semi-regular in any bar, you'll recognise many of the characters. Also made me miss bars and meeting random people. So, maybe a bit nostalgic and cathartic. Also, a strong and unique soundtrack.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

kinda interesting watching this for the first time now and realizing how inaccurately it was presented upon release, but i thought it was just a really bad movie despite its well intentioned efforts at flipping a lot of genre tropes around. i did like juno at the time (havent watched it since theaters and probably never will though) but the constant attempts to force similar banter here were incredibly out of place. ended up with something that was never as funny or scary as it sought to be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:27 pm
kinda interesting watching this for the first time now and realizing how inaccurately it was presented upon release, but i thought it was just a really bad movie despite its well intentioned efforts at flipping a lot of genre tropes around. i did like juno at the time (havent watched it since theaters and probably never will though) but the constant attempts to force similar banter here were incredibly out of place. ended up with something that was never as funny or scary as it sought to be
But quite easy on the eyes nudge nudge wink wink
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I just watched High Fidelity. I’m kind of surprised I’d never seen the film previously considering that it’s 20 years old!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 pm
I just watched High Fidelity. I’m kind of surprised I’d never seen the film previously considering that it’s 20 years old!
One of my, shall we say, Top 5 movies of all time
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 pm
I'm always a little jealous when somebody gets to have a first time viewing experience of a favorite movie I have seen multiple times. Hope you enjoyed.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I’m watching the movie Big Stone Gap with Ashley Judd (based on the Adriana Trigiani (?sp?) book. The movie seems like a Hallmark movie, but it is set in Big Stone Gap, Virginia where I worked after finishing grad school. Wise County (where BSG is located is a unique corner or Appalachia)! I enjoyed working in Wise, but it was not a great place to be young and single!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Free Showtime & HBO for a few days!

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:46 am

How is it?
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:36 am
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:46 am

How is it?
Extremely warped. It's no Lebowski but if you're into the Dude probably worth watching.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Free State of Jones really hit home.
After losing one brother and another one losing an arm and leg my Great Grandfather went awol.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

1917 was really great
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Really liked this. Long & short of it, a drummer loses his hearing and must deal with his deafness both mentally and relationally.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I wanted this to be so much more than it was. It felt sanitized, or maybe the pacing was wonky. Or both. Yes, it had all the important elements of a documentary -- but it lacked the meat. Creem mag deserved more.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Uncle Frank - As between the song and the (totally unrelated) movie, the song wins. The movie is not bad; actually, very good until the last 15 or 20 minutes which completely suck. The movie just falls apart as it goes from real and believable to totally absurd fantasy (not intentionally).

Rocketman - Finally caught up w/ this one. Kind of like my view of Elton - entertaining but not a lot of depth. It's kinda weird when a totally cliched story happens to be true, lol. Worth the 2 hours.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:47 am
Rocketman - Finally caught up w/ this one. Kind of like my view of Elton - entertaining but not a lot of depth. It's kinda weird when a totally cliched story happens to be true, lol. Worth the 2 hours.
It was a pity that the Queen biopic got much more attention than Rocketman, which at least attempted to craft something entertaining.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Absolutely fantastic. I've never seen the stage play, so I can't comment how it translates, but this was great. Highly recommended.

I don't know the current status of Michael Gira's canceling. I don't even know the current status of the allegations. That's not me picking sides, I literally did a web search and couldn't find anything recent.

I love the Swans. Have since high school when a copy of Children of God was floated at me. A friend knew I was into Sonic Youth and thought I'd dig it. Since then I've followed Gira's career through the various incarnations. Some of it caught the fire, some smoldered. This doc (which is streaming on Amazon Prime) is the an overview of Gira. Don't let the title and Swans name fool you, it is very much about MG. Thrilled to see and hear Jarboe and a ton of past members chime in. Additional talking heads include Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore, JG Thirwell, Blixa Bargeld and a bunch of periphery folks. The version on Amazon clocks in at 2:41 minutes. Apparently the director's cut. Unfortunately, it could've cut at 90 minutes. Lots of archival and modern era live footage. If you dig the band, you'll like it. If you enjoy the learning about the lineage of bands that were inspired by those NO WAVE/80s NYC bands -- this is for you.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Started watching the Steve McQueen (not that one) film anthology, Small Axe.

I've finished the first 2 entries -- Mangrove and Lover's Rock. Exceptional. I've loved everything that McQueen has done, but these are master-level.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:55 am

Absolutely fantastic. I've never seen the stage play, so I can't comment how it translates, but this was great. Highly recommended.

I don't know the current status of Michael Gira's canceling. I don't even know the current status of the allegations. That's not me picking sides, I literally did a web search and couldn't find anything recent.

I love the Swans. Have since high school when a copy of Children of God was floated at me. A friend knew I was into Sonic Youth and thought I'd dig it. Since then I've followed Gira's career through the various incarnations. Some of it caught the fire, some smoldered. This doc (which is streaming on Amazon Prime) is the an overview of Gira. Don't let the title and Swans name fool you, it is very much about MG. Thrilled to see and hear Jarboe and a ton of past members chime in. Additional talking heads include Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore, JG Thirwell, Blixa Bargeld and a bunch of periphery folks. The version on Amazon clocks in at 2:41 minutes. Apparently the director's cut. Unfortunately, it could've cut at 90 minutes. Lots of archival and modern era live footage. If you dig the band, you'll like it. If you enjoy the learning about the lineage of bands that were inspired by those NO WAVE/80s NYC bands -- this is for you.
nice i will check that out... also been meaning to watch the Martin Phillips doc that is also on Amazon now.

yeah re: Gira and Grimm, i don't think it ever got resolved... Gira pulled back a bit from his initial denial but it was all sorta mealy-mouthed, and Larkin just seemed to drop it.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 am
yeah re: Gira and Grimm, i don't think it ever got resolved... Gira pulled back a bit from his initial denial but it was all sorta mealy-mouthed, and Larkin just seemed to drop it.
I think the last I heard about it was that Gira's wife got involved and said she had "receipts", referring to texts, emails, etc. Also said he *conveniently* deleted anything that might prove something.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

tom brady's phone.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Christmas viewing this year:

That was just delightful. I enjoyed seeing those awful people tearing into each other so much.

This was exciting and ultimately quite moving. I expected a lot less from it than I should have. I'm looking forward to the book.

I also picked up a dollar DVD with fifteen Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, with three full Boris and Natasha story arcs. Probably the best dollar I'll spend all year. Sophisticated Cold War humor in the guise of kiddie cartoons and huge favorites as a child. Check your Dollar General store for this:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm

This was exciting and ultimately quite moving. I expected a lot less from it than I should have. I'm looking forward to the book.
The book is far superior. From a visual standpoint, the videogame sequences were catering to a modern gaming audience. It was more of an 80s vibe in the book.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Flea wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:35 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm

The book is far superior. From a visual standpoint, the videogame sequences were catering to a modern gaming audience. It was more of an 80s vibe in the book.
I don't play video games. I know enough about the classic games--Robotron 2084 was my jam--to relate to that section, but it's really not my thing. The eighties vibe of the book (which I've read a lot about) was part of what made me expect less of it. I don't need a nostalgia strokefest. Which this wasn't.