Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I watched the new Netflix documentary Disclosure last night. It takes a detailed look at the representation and inclusion of transgender actors and characters in TV and film, and how those representations have been (mostly ) harmful to the trans community.

Very well done and very informative.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

been meaning to watch this for a while. thought it started kinda slow, got really good, then ended a bit too suddenly. on further thought it wrapped up quite well, at the time i just thought it had a lot more to tell. could have maybe been better served by a larger budget but i get it. for what they were working with here, heck of a movie

coens so far:

love
lebowski
burn after reading
fargo
blood simple
true grit
a serious man

seen but dont think it was the right time so i should def rewatch
raising arizona
o brother

legitimately didnt like
hudsucker

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 am
been meaning to watch this for a while. thought it started kinda slow, got really good, then ended a bit too suddenly. on further thought it wrapped up quite well, at the time i just thought it had a lot more to tell. could have maybe been better served by a larger budget but i get it. for what they were working with here, heck of a movie

coens so far:

love
lebowski
burn after reading
fargo
blood simple
true grit
a serious man

raising arizona
o brother

legitimately didnt like
hudsucker

Go watch No Country For Old Men and Miller's Crossing.

NOW!

Don't come back until your assignment is complete.

And in my opinion, your views of Burn After Reading, Arizona, and O Brother are whack.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Shakespeare wrote:
coens so far:
Most of their movies just don't sound that interesting to me, but I'm +so glad+ I stumbled onto Intolerable Cruelty. It made me laugh so hard and gave me an answer to the dumb-ass Bugs Bunny animator who claimed there weren't any new gags with guns just because he didn't have any.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

coens so far:

love
lebowski
burn after reading
fargo
blood simple
true grit
a serious man

raising arizona
o brother

legitimately didnt like
hudsucker

NOW!

And in my opinion, your views of Burn After Reading, Arizona, and O Brother are whack.
I loathe Raising Arizona (Beth thinks I’m nuts for this) and while I don’t hate O Brother Where Art Thou it didn’t do much for me outside of the music. That said I love most of their movies. Miller’s Crossing is my favorite mob movie of all time and Barton Fink is an overlooked masterpiece
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea speaks the truth.

Blood Simple was a sensation when it first opened. It's not often that something new, fresh, different and really good comes along. I haven't seen it in forever but no doubt should.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Flea wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm

probably! mentioned them just for context but theyre both movies id need to watch fresh to make any sort of judgment on. i watched brother in middle school, too early to even care about the music. not sure what the issue with arizona was but i straight up dont remember a thing about it and im sure its at the very least memorable

i do stand by burn after reading though. that ones hilarious

next up is probably a serious man. girlfriend hasnt seen it and was intrigued, but its been long enough for me to watch it again i think. my next pick will probably be the man whow asnt there or barton fink

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:37 am
Flea wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

coens so far:

love
lebowski
burn after reading
fargo
blood simple
true grit
a serious man

raising arizona
o brother

legitimately didnt like
hudsucker

NOW!

I loathe Raising Arizona (Beth thinks I’m nuts for this) and while I don’t hate O Brother Where Art Thou it didn’t do much for me outside of the music. That said I love most of their movies. Miller’s Crossing is my favorite mob movie of all time and Barton Fink is an overlooked masterpiece

Beth is correct.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i enjoyed this when i watched it in college but somehow remembered next to nothing about it, including how thoroughly jewish it is. i remembered that judaism was a huge part of it but not how detailed its portrayal was. i feel like it handled all that stuff exceptionally well. its definitely a jewish movie but doesnt feel totally insular about it. theres a willingness to dumb things down when necessary, and to embrace the impression of absurdity a lot of those traditions can have for a gentile viewer. of course its not like making a jewish film for jewish people would have been a bad thing at all but i feel like they did a good job making it central without limiting the scope and appeal

watching this after fargo season 3 was definitely an added joy. stuhlbarg was great. i did miss a bunch of coen regulars but it also made sense to make a sort of clean break on that front, and the movie had no shrtage of great performances.

as far as the movie itself goes, its very good but i feel like its ultimately too open ended? by design obviously but it can come off a bit like a philosophy exercise. i dont need every single loose end tied up when i watch a movie but a little closure is important and this just kinda leaves everything hanging with the exception of a few hints. idk. its a choice, and not necessarily a bad one, but im not 100% sold on it

def upper tier coens but not quite highest for me. glad i watched it again though

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Amazon original movie, My Spy raises a very fundamental question about movie viewing and movie making. Why is it that some formulaic, by the numbers, predictable, hackneyed stories are just boring and bad while others can be delightful despite all those negatives? I enjoyed My Spy, but I have to admit it was right out of the genre playbook. So why did it work? I'm not sure but offer these possible explanations: The movie did not take itself too seriously. The movie aimed to be no more than basic entertainment. The makers obviously understand and love the conventions they're following. The cute 9 year old at the center of the movie was actually delightfully cute, not insufferably cute. I suspect mileage may vary on this one, but what can I say? Sometimes simple and silly is exactly what one needs.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 pm
The Amazon original movie, My Spy raises a very fundamental question about movie viewing and movie making. Why is it that some formulaic, by the numbers, predictable, hackneyed stories are just boring and bad while others can be delightful despite all those negatives? I enjoyed My Spy, but I have to admit it was right out of the genre playbook. So why did it work? I'm not sure but offer these possible explanations: The movie did not take itself too seriously. The movie aimed to be no more than basic entertainment. The makers obviously understand and love the conventions they're following. The cute 9 year old at the center of the movie was actually delightfully cute, not insufferably cute. I suspect mileage may vary on this one, but what can I say? Sometimes simple and silly is exactly what one needs.
I haven't seen this film, but I'm fascinated by how some genre films somehow just nail it while others with the same ingredients fall flat.

Lack of pretension usually helps. Mostly I think it ends up coming down to good writing.

Maybe I should watch the actual film and then come back to this...

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I enjoyed “The Perks of being a Wallflower” last night. When I started, I thought the movie might be a cheesy high school romantic comedy, but it went deeper on many levels than I initially suspected.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I had never seen this. Much to my surprise & delight there is footage of Bowie & band on the Reality tour at a truck stop in Shelby, Montana near the Canadian border. In the clip Bowie is going through my rack of music for sale in the store. He approved! I had seen a longer version on his website years ago but I don't think it's there anymore. Shocked to see it on BBC/HBO documentary. Totally validates my 25+ years in the music business! :D

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Hadn't seen before but its so ubiquitous its hard to go in totally fresh. Enjoyed it though. It bugs me a bit when movies play such tiny snippets of songs and this did it a lot, but for a movie that hit all it's marks and aged surprisingly well that's a petty complaint. Been said so many times but Paul Rudd really hasn't aged at all. Crazy
Had a bunch of good performances but did very little with them and was generally never as tense as it should have been for an escalating teen weed caper. Also thought the narration and goofy talking head interludes early on were cheesy and didn't fit the tone, and im never too crazy about the whole show the ending first then work up to it plot gimmick. and it threw a hurricane in there as a framing device for no real payoff. Enjoyed it enough anyway but it felt like an unfortunate miss

Also both featured all the young dudes

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I have a question for the moviegoers here: Where would I find obsessively-detailed summaries of movies, much like the sorts of TV show recaps that literally narrate every scene? I need to know some details about movies I really don't want to watch obsessively, or really at all, mostly.

This one is just detailed enough to be useful; this one is not.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:42 pm
In the clip Bowie is going through my rack of music for sale in the store. He approved!
:o 8-) :!:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Good Liar - I had never heard of this movie and wasn't looking for it when I tripped over it while surfing but I was very enjoyably surprised by it. Not classic, but very enjoyable w/ a couple of interesting and out of left field twists on old themes. Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen star so how bad could it be, right? I have to admit that both got a little too hammy at points, but even so they are always great to watch and this one's no different.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Over 30 years ago, and not one fucking thing has changed.

Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Really enjoyed this. Hoped for something sorta like in the soup and it was close enough

Writtenand directed by Buscemi, and quite a cast. Seymour Cassell got about one minute of screen time and ran like hell with it. Ditto Samuel l Jackson

It was maybe a bit slight overall even though it did have some nice character relationships, but the gist of it was Steve and a few "friends" that hang out at the same bar and then fuck themselves over a lot so a somewhat messy approach worked. Plenty of charm to make up for it's flaws

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Hamilton - If you haven't seen the show, just give in already and pay Disney the fucking $7 and watch it. If you've seen the show, pay Disney the fucking $7 and be reminded of why you loved it and and see things you didn't see/notice before. This is "just" a film of the Broadway show as performed but it's done very well and adds enough to the experience enough so you don't miss what you lose from lack of immediacy of theater.

Having seen the show only in London, it was very interesting to compare and contrast w/ the original Broadway cast that appears in the movie. I don't know if I was more surprised by the number of London performances that measured up to Broadway (Hamilton, Burr) or the number that didn't (all 3 sisters, King George). In any case, well worth seeing again in this format.

Note to those who haven't seen it before: I don't think the lyrics are as hard to understand as some say, but it can't hurt and will probably help to listen to the score at least a couple of times before you watch or at a minimum use the available subtitles. I don't know how long the movie will be available on Disney but it's at least to the end of this month.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am
Hamilton - If you haven't seen the show, just give in already and pay Disney the fucking $7 and watch it. If you've seen the show, pay Disney the fucking $7 and be reminded of why you loved it and and see things you didn't see/notice before. This is "just" a film of the Broadway show as performed but it's done very well and adds enough to the experience enough so you don't miss what you lose from lack of immediacy of theater.

Having seen the show only in London, it was very interesting to compare and contrast w/ the original Broadway cast that appears in the movie. I don't know if I was more surprised by the number of London performances that measured up to Broadway (Hamilton, Burr) or the number that didn't (all 3 sisters, King George). In any case, well worth seeing again in this format.

Note to those who haven't seen it before: I don't think the lyrics are as hard to understand as some say, but it can't hurt and will probably help to listen to the score at least a couple of times before you watch or at a minimum use the available subtitles. I don't know how long the movie will be available on Disney but it's at least to the end of this month.
I"m definitely in the minority on this but I didn't like it at all. Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals. For me the whole concept is quaint nostalgia. Some of this may be my wariness of anything New York. That could be a west coast thing to a certain extent. To my ears, it sounded like the Simpsons parody of Planet of the Apes - The Musical. Dr Zeus, Dr Zeus! That being said, some of the performances were good, some blatant caricature. Nothing against anyone who enjoys that sort of thing, to each his own. I'm sure I enjoy some things that others don't. That dang liberty!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:29 am
beantownbubba wrote:

I"m definitely in the minority on this but I didn't like it at all. Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals. For me the whole concept is quaint nostalgia. Some of this may be my wariness of anything New York. That could be a west coast thing to a certain extent. To my ears, it sounded like the Simpsons parody of Planet of the Apes - The Musical. Dr Zeus, Dr Zeus! That being said, some of the performances were good, some blatant caricature. Nothing against anyone who enjoys that sort of thing, to each his own. I'm sure I enjoy some things that others don't. That dang liberty!
As someone with a 20 year career in theatre, I'm deeply, deeply offended.

Just kidding, to each their own

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:51 am
chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:29 am
beantownbubba wrote:

As someone with a 20 year career in theatre, I'm deeply, deeply offended.

Just kidding, to each their own
Sorry, just being honest. I'm that way. There are a few things that I've enjoyed that had more to do with the source material. I saw the touring company of "Tommy" & that was kind of cool. & I'd probably go see "Lazarus" if I had the chance, I liked the original cast record. Helps that it had some of my favorite Bowie material. I will admit I have a bit of interest in "Book of Mormon" but have never been able to get tickets at a realistic price. I like plays but most musicals are like a trip to the dentist for me. Like I said (& you said) to each his own. I did give "Hamilton" a chance. I mainly watched it to see what the hubbub was about. I do try to keep an open mind.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Hamilton - If you haven't seen the show, just give in already and pay Disney the fucking $7 and watch it.
What if you fucking hate musical theater with every fiber of your being?
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flea wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:03 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Hamilton - If you haven't seen the show, just give in already and pay Disney the fucking $7 and watch it.

I see chuck beat me to it! The wife and I used to see touring versions of Broadway shows, and I honestly fell asleep most every time. The only 2 I liked were Webber's Phantom and The Lion King. I'm a huge Python fan, and thought that Spamalot was even crap.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:03 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
What if you do? You could spend 7 bucks just to take the month to explore the Disney library including all the star wars and other superhero movies I've lost track of, so you may very well get your 7 bucks worth anyway. Or you could waste 7 bucks confirming that you hate musical theater w/ every fiber of your being and even so it won't be the biggest waste of 7 bucks you make this month. Or maybe you'll be turned on to something new & different. Maybe you won't love it but will find it to be 2.5 diverting hours and how big a deal is that these days? Maybe you'll just "appreciate it" like some paintings at a museum that everyone raves about but look to you like a third grader's tantrum. I don't really see a downside here except it's 2.5 hours that you might otherwise have spent watching some mediocre TV from the 5th page of your netflix watch list. Low cost, low risk, potential high payoff. That's a bet I'd take every time.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Sorry, Bubba. I know myself well enough to stay away from Hamilton, and Disney.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't think that Hamilton is whiskey-soaked enough for a lot of people here